Re: [podcasters] Re: Stupid question about enclosure length

  • Harold Johnson
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2005
      Well, I hope I've been doing this right. I check to see the size of
      my file in MB and go to the first tenth (i.e., 1.4MB) and add 5 zeroes
      (i.e., length="1.400000"). This is correct, right?

      Harold

      On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 08:49:38 -0800, Jeff Barr <jeff@...> wrote:
      > The field is supposed to denote the size (in bytes) of the file
      > referenced as the enclosure:
      >
      > http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/rss#ltenclosuregtSubelementOfLtitemgt
      >
      > I have seen that some feeds are putting the length of the URL (rather
      > than the length of
      > what it points to) in this field, and that's wrong!
      >
      > Jeff;
      >
      > plunderfish wrote:
      >

      > > You know, I've been wondering that myself. Thanks for asking...
      > >
      > > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, luc@s... wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hello,
      > > >
      > > > I know this is a stupid question.
      > > >
      > > > What is exactly the length value in the enclosure tag, and what do you
      > > > use to mesure it ?
      > > >
      > > > Thanks in advance
      > > >
      > > > Luc

      > * RSS Feeds: http://www.syndic8.com
      > * Blog: http://www.syndic8.com/~jeff/blog/
      > * Web Services: http://aws.typepad.com
      > * Resume: http://www.syndic8.com/~jeff/resume.html

    • Kevin H. Devin
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 1, 2005
        The way I read the spec, the number should be depicted in bytes, not a
        rounding of them.

        -KHD

        Harold Johnson wrote:
        > Well, I hope I've been doing this right. I check to see the size of
        > my file in MB and go to the first tenth (i.e., 1.4MB) and add 5 zeroes
        > (i.e., length="1.400000"). This is correct, right?
        >
        > Harold
        >
        > On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 08:49:38 -0800, Jeff Barr <jeff@...> wrote:
        >
        >> The field is supposed to denote the size (in bytes) of the file
        >> referenced as the enclosure:
        >>
        >> http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/rss#ltenclosuregtSubelementOfLtitemgt
        >>
        >> I have seen that some feeds are putting the length of the URL (rather
        >> than the length of
        >> what it points to) in this field, and that's wrong!
        >>
        >> Jeff;
        >>
        >> plunderfish wrote:
        >>

        >> > You know, I've been wondering that myself. Thanks for asking...

        >> > * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
        >> > Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
        >> >

        >> --
        >> * RSS Feeds: http://www.syndic8.com
        >> * Blog: http://www.syndic8.com/~jeff/blog/
        >> * Web Services: http://aws.typepad.com
        >> * Resume: http://www.syndic8.com/~jeff/resume.html

        >>Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Harold Johnson
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 1, 2005
          Right down to the last little byte? Does this mean I'm going to have
          to go back and change all those enclosure tags? Arrgh...

          Does anyone here know the intended purpose of the length tag (besides
          the obvious: describing the size of the enclosure)? Dave Winer (or
          anyone who knows), is it used to display the size on
          audio.weblogs.com? Do the iPodder clients or other aggregators use it
          to display the size? What is the main, intended use for this item, or
          any future purposes you're anticipating? I'm simply curious to know
          why I have to fill in this data with every enclosure. It's not that
          big a deal, I'm just naturally curious. Thank goodness I seem to have
          nine lives...

          Harold J. Johnson
          http://SomethingthatHappened.com

          On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 21:58:14 -0800, Kevin H. Devin
          <kevin.devin@...> wrote:
          > The way I read the spec, the number should be depicted in bytes, not a
          > rounding of them.
          >
          > -KHD
          >

          > Harold Johnson wrote:
          > > Well, I hope I've been doing this right. I check to see the size of
          > > my file in MB and go to the first tenth (i.e., 1.4MB) and add 5 zeroes
          > > (i.e., length="1.400000"). This is correct, right?
          > >
          > > Harold
          > >
          > > On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 08:49:38 -0800, Jeff Barr <jeff@...> wrote:
          > >
          > >> The field is supposed to denote the size (in bytes) of the file
          > >> referenced as the enclosure:
          > >>
          > >> http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/rss#ltenclosuregtSubelementOfLtitemgt
          > >>
          > >> I have seen that some feeds are putting the length of the URL (rather
          > >> than the length of
          > >> what it points to) in this field, and that's wrong!
          > >>
          > >> Jeff;

          > you

          > >> --
          > >> * RSS Feeds: http://www.syndic8.com
          > >> * Blog: http://www.syndic8.com/~jeff/blog/
          > >> * Web Services: http://aws.typepad.com
          > >> * Resume: http://www.syndic8.com/~jeff/resume.html

          > >>Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • ecomputerd
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 2, 2005
            In my Pocket PC aggregator, FeederReader (
            http://www.feederreader.com ), if the current download length is
            equal to or greater than the length attribute, I infer that the
            enclosure is not completed downloading. This has two implications
            within the program:

            1) when "downloading all enclosures", I download only those
            (You can manually attempt to continue a download regardless of the
            current download length).

            2) When seeking out the next enclosure to play ("Play Next"), I skip
            enclosures less than 100% downloaded as indicated by the current
            download length versus the length attribute. (You can manually play
            any file, though, regardless of percent downloaded.

            Since implementing this, I realized that this can be improved by
            ignoring the length and relying only on return codes. I will very
            likely change my implementation on a future revision so that length
            is only a display tool.

            I am not sure what other aggregators do.
          • Harold Johnson
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 2, 2005
              I wanted to add:

              Wouldn't it have been more appropriate to name this tag "size"? I'm
              still learning its use but so far I gather that the length tag is used
              to describe the total of bytes, which tells me nothing about how long
              the file really is. Perhaps length would have been more effectively
              applied to the duration of the file (in time). Is there already a tag
              to describe the duration of the file?

              Harold

            • ecomputerd
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 2, 2005
                I am not aware of an attribute that describes the enclosures
                duration in time. This would be specific only to those enclosure
                types that are non-interactive playable media. Enclosures are more
                generic than just podcasts or even "playable media".

                As far as the name is concerned, both "length" and "size" are used
                technically to describe the number of bytes in a file (in various
                APIs on various operating systems). The semantic connotation
                differences are probably only relevant if there were a different
                enclosure attribute to describe the duration.

                Confusing? Yes, unless you read the specification:

                http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/rss#ltenclosuregtSubelementOfLtitem
                gt

                "It has three required attributes. url says where the enclosure is
                located, length says how big it is in bytes, and type says what its
                type is, a standard MIME type."
              • Amy Gahran
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 2, 2005
                  On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 15:36:39 -0000, ecomputerd <ecomputerd@...> wrote:
                  > Confusing? Yes, unless you read the specification:
                  >
                  > http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/rss#ltenclosuregtSubelementOfLtitem
                  > gt
                  >
                  > "It has three required attributes. url says where the enclosure is
                  > located, length says how big it is in bytes, and type says what its
                  > type is, a standard MIME type."

                  LOL, I've gotta say it, that language fromt he standard is a CLASSIC
                  example of why so many technogeeky things are confusing. Only a geek
                  would immediately assume that "length" = "file size."

                  Go to any dictionary (you know, those alphabetical listings of
                  ordinary words that ordinary people use). There, you'll see
                  definitions like these:

                  - The state, quality, or fact of being long.
                  - The measurement of the extent of something along its greatest
                  dimension: the length of the boat.
                  - A measure used as a unit to estimate distances: won the race by a length.
                  - Extent or distance from beginning to end: the length of a novel; the
                  length of a journey.
                  - The amount of time between specified moments; the duration: the
                  length of a meeting.

                  I don't mind so much that geeks write in their own language,
                  especially when creating standards. But why, oh why, can't they go
                  back and clarify those terms in the key documents once it's become
                  apparent that people are getting confused, rather than just expecting
                  people to figure it out willy-nilly?

                  That just smacks of techno-snobbery to me. Only the initiated who can
                  speak the sacred tongue may enter and explore the mysteries.....

                  </rant>

                  - Amy Gahran, your not-so-humble incorrigible word geek

                  --

                  Amy Gahran

                  Editor, CONTENTIOUS:
                  - http://blog.contentious.com

                  Writer, Editor, Trainer, and Info-Provocateur:
                  - http://gahran.com
                • Julian Yahoo 1
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 2, 2005
                    From: Amy Gahran

                    >LOL, I've gotta say it, that language fromt he standard is a CLASSIC
                    >example of why so many technogeeky things are confusing. Only a geek
                    >would immediately assume that "length" = "file size."

                    I had that when I started - looked at the xml for a Daily Source Code and
                    thought "what the heck is 42875345". The clue was in the 40.9Mb that was in
                    the download list.

                    Question: does it actually have to be 42875345 or would 42000000 do, since
                    most pod-people will be more interested in a) the size being around 40Mb, b)
                    the 34:39 that gives the real length.

                    Is the exact size a useful or bureaucratic thing?

                    Julian

                    Web: www.thepicturepost.co.uk
                    Blog: www.herecomespod.org.uk/blog/
                    Podcast/RSS: http://www.bestchurches.org.uk/rss/offthebeatentrack.xml
                  • Harold Johnson
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 2, 2005
                      On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 02:12:27 -0000, Julian Yahoo 1 <julianduk@...> wrote:

                      > Question: does it actually have to be 42875345 or would 42000000 do, since
                      > most pod-people will be more interested in a) the size being around 40Mb,
                      > b)
                      > the 34:39 that gives the real length.
                      >
                      > Is the exact size a useful or bureaucratic thing?

                      Without the _exact_ byte size, the podcast will be rejected by most
                      iPodder clients. Nah, I'm just messing around. I have no idea what
                      will happen if we don't use the exact size, and I'm kind of concerned
                      about it, too. It's the little details that keep me up at night...(I
                      should have been a programmer.)

                      Harold
                    • Douglas E. Welch
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 2, 2005
                        > Without the _exact_ byte size, the podcast will be rejected by most
                        > iPodder clients. Nah, I'm just messing around. I have no idea what
                        > will happen if we don't use the exact size, and I'm kind of concerned
                        > about it, too. It's the little details that keep me up at night...(I
                        > should have been a programmer.)

                        I would venture a guess that the size is what is used to calculate the %
                        complete display when downloading the file.

                        "For a variety of reasons, improvements in the garden have been on hold for
                        much too long. My motivation has been lacking to attack major improvements
                        and even the day-to-day maintenance has suffered."

                        From A Gardener's Notebook: Back in the soil again, July 23, 2000
                        Read it all at: <http://www.welchwrite.com/agn/gn000723.asp>
                      • ecomputerd
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 2, 2005
                          <RANT>

                          > Only a geek would immediately assume that "length" = "file size."

                          Well, this geek (me) would recognize the ambiguity, then resolve it
                          by reading the specification.

                          >But why, oh why, can't they go
                          >back and clarify those terms in the key documents once it's become
                          >apparent that people are getting confused, rather than just
                          expecting
                          >people to figure it out willy-nilly?

                          I'm not sure what better "key document" there is aside from the
                          specification. And I'm not sure what needs to be clarified
                          about: "length says how big it is in bytes".

                          Why, oh why, must non-geeks lament about the apparent techno-
                          snobbery when all that is required is to READ THE SPECIFICATION!

                          Enter "rss specification" in google, click the first listed
                          item "RSS Specification 2.0" then click to the element items, then
                          click "more" under enclosures. Then read: "length says how big it is
                          in bytes."

                          Sometimes reading is very helpful in understanding meaning, as
                          opposed to simply guessing about the sacred tongue.

                          > That just smacks of techno-snobbery to me. Only the initiated who
                          can
                          > speak the sacred tongue may enter and explore the mysteries.....

                          The only initiative I see that is necessary is the initiative to
                          read the specification.
                          </RANT>

                          If there is something confusing about the specification, then please
                          try to describe it, ask for clarification, or attempt clarification
                          and ask for agreement. Sometime rants just provoke other rants.
                        • ecomputerd
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 2, 2005
                            > I would venture a guess that the size is what is used to calculate
                            the %
                            > complete display when downloading the file.

                            In some aggregators (well, mine anyway), the length is used to
                            determine if the enclosure is downloaded completely. I've written
                            more detail about 5 posts ago:

                          • Pete Prodoehl
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 3, 2005
                              Harold Johnson wrote:
                              > I wanted to add:
                              >
                              > Wouldn't it have been more appropriate to name this tag "size"?

                              Using curl I ask my server some info about a URI:

                              curl -I http://rasterweb.net/raster/audio/rwaudio20041218.mp3

                              It tells me this:

                              HTTP/1.1 200 OK
                              Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 15:38:14 GMT
                              Server: Apache/1.3.31 (Unix)
                              Last-Modified: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 09:14:17 GMT
                              ETag: "6db820-8518c-41c3f4e9"
                              Accept-Ranges: bytes

                              See the 'Content-Length' that's where 'length' comes from, and why it
                              isn't called 'size' in the RSS spec. Yes, it is a bit confusing since we
                              are dealing with something that has a 'length' to it, in this case audio
                              recordings...

                              Pete