Re: [Beginner] why record live ?

  • luc@saint-elie.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 1, 2005
      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Nicole Simon <nisi@g...> wrote:

      > Question is therefor: Does your audience really care if sometimes your
      > sentences do not end or you need a second to think of the word? Or
      do they
      > just take it as granted that you as a non native speaker have some
      > difficulties and therefor will have patience with you? Asuming you
      think of
      > english speaking.

      Nicole,`

      From my very short (2 days) experience, it depends heavily of the voice.
      I have a rather uninteresting normal voice, and all kind of
      hesitations sound very badly.
      I had a look.. well a ear.. at your podcast. You have a very pleasant,
      sensual voice, not even a radio voice, an much more attractive voice
      than that.
      I supoose that if in the middle of a sentence you say "well.. wait a
      minute, I have to take off my shoes.." everybody, me included, will
      find this wonderfull.

      I'm not exactly in this situation....

      > >This is not at all easy (for me), i made a test, the sound is
      > >horrible, I've not yet receive my hardware and I did that with my
      > >iBook integrated microphone (and the sound is really awful),
      >
      > There are worse out there. :o)
      >
      > Question: Was this recorded talking or was this read from paper?

      It was talking, I didn't read it. In fact it's an answer to a
      question asked in a post comment, so it was rather easy to find the
      righs words

      > You could also try to determine how you write and adapt this to spoken
      > words. Do you take several approaches to your written word? Do you make
      > notes first and then just write? What is the way you can easily produce
      > written words? I found that the way I write and speak is 'in production'
      > very similar.

      I'm afraid it's not my case.
      When I have an article to write, I strat by writing everything I have
      collected on this topic without wondering if it as a structute. Then
      when all the info in on the paper (on my screen) I work on it a little
      bit as if I was doing sculpture.

      But it seem obvious to me today that you are damn right, and to go for
      the long term, I have to find a "spoken style", as I have developped a
      "written style"

      > Same with audio recording. I am better at respeaking words at once
      and make
      > a special mark while recording and edit this later = cutting out whole
      > sentences because I rerecorded them.

      Could you explain that. I had a very hard time in Audacity for
      searching, finding and supressing "hums.."

      > After a while I also learned to 'see' my aehms and uhms. They have a
      > special pattern. It helps to speak slower - for the listener to
      understand
      > and for me to edit.

      Interesting, I'll try to observe that !

      Thanks a lot Nicole
    • Olivier
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 2, 2005
        Hi hi :)

        Le vendredi 31 décembre 2004 à 17:49 +0000, luc@... a écrit :
        > Hello (and happy new year),

        \o/ Happy new year to you too :)

        > What I plan to do is the record the voice part on a MiniDisc, then
        > when I'm happy with it get it in an audio app on my Apple iBook
        > (probably Audacity), then add some ambiance sounds or music.

        > Is this stupid ?

        I don't find this stupid. I plan to do this with my "show". I already
        made a website (unmaintain for 10 months now :( ) wich presents
        rollerblading (fitness) in Bordeaux, and the nicest ways to go and
        discovers the wine area :) I Made a website, lots of photos I dhoot
        myself. It's difficult for me to present something, with not being on
        the place.
        So I decided to do the same with my podcast, discovering Bordeaux. I
        will present and comment each place of the city and some areas, and
        directly record there, so listeners would feel being with me. I think
        that the global sound is a neat addition to the podcast.

        But I'm doing this, because of the topic (presenting a place). One
        podcast will be on the beach. I think listener would be happier to feel
        on the beach than listening to a flat emotionless voice.

        As others people said here, this take more time to do that kind of
        podcast ! You need a preparation, need to go to the place you want to
        present, come back home and re-record everything on the computer and cut
        out all the crap sound :)

        I record my podcast on a minidisc. MD are made to record voice and
        music, where mp3 players, ipod, etc.. are only voice recorder. The
        quality is much better.

        Hope this helps you :)

        Olivier
      • Scot Mcphee
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 2, 2005

          >> Why do live? Because it's a lot more FUN that way. I used to do a fair
          >> bit of live radio years ago and it's lot more fun, felt more like
          >> 'radio' than doing a prerecord with heavy editing (boring). Even when
          >> we had to do a pre-record, it was always best (and easiest) to try and
          >> produce it as a piece of live radio and just record it
          >
          >Good point.
          >But as you stated you have a radio background so you know how to use
          >your voice. It's by far not something obvious for a nearly total
          >beginner like I am. For example, in the little tests i've done I
          >realized that one of the most difficult thing is to.. end sentences.
          >When we talk in normal life we don't always finish sentences, (because
          >we use moves for example for express things), of to have a fluid flow
          >of words without hem..uuuh.. and silence while seraching for the next
          >sentence..

          Well, I worked mainly on the producer side of the microphone, not the
          'talent' end of it so I'm not such fount of knowledge on actually
          using *my* voice. I hate the sound of it actually <heh>. Anyway I
          think you overestimate the amount of knowledge necessary to produce
          acceptable results. I think the first thing to remember is that "BBC
          English" isn't necessary to make good radio - you just need a story
          and a good storyteller, really. Getting rid of umms aahs and noise
          words ("like", "so", etc) basically takes a bit of practice, but not a
          lot and the more you do it the better you get. Just like most things.
          For the rest (knowing what to say) I'd say express it in the most
          natural form for yourself, don't force it, and if you have difficulty
          remembering your main points, write out cue cards before hand with the
          major topic words on them.

          regs
          scot.

          --
          Autonomous Organisation http://www.autonomous.org/
        • Olivier
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 7, 2005
            Le samedi 01 janvier 2005 à 13:59 +0100, Nicole Simon a écrit :
            > luc@... wrote:
            >
            > >For example, in the little tests i've done I
            > >realized that one of the most difficult thing is to.. end sentences.
            >
            > Do you consider your listeners to be stupid? :)

            I understand what Luc means.. He doesn't think that the listener is
            stupid. But when you talk, you have your way to talk, intonation,
            inflection, etc.. that the people around you know. But when you consider
            anybody around the world, you need to be more carefull of how you are
            saying your meaning :p And that's a difficult task, I can assure you :p

            If you listen to my first test podcast, and if you knew how I'm usually
            speaking, you would notice a big difference :o)
            Most of the "problem" is the local accent ;)

            I've to (re)learn how to be understood ;)

            That's why I'm writing as much as poxxible the text I will record. I
            hope that with time, I'll be more confortable with all that :)

            (btw, my rss feed is almost ready, I need a final check for validity
            then the next podcast will follow :) )

            Olivier
          • Nicole Simon
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 7, 2005
              Olivier <olisker@...> wrote:
              >(btw, my rss feed is almost ready, I need a final check for validity
              >then the next podcast will follow :) )

              Make sure the description says what you like it to say ... When pinging
              audio.weblogs.com for the first time, your description will be taken and
              send to ipodder.org.

              I was kind of surprised to see the sudden rise in referrers until i
              realised that I hat pinged for the first time with my new podcast.php feed
              - which the script took and made a new entry out of it.

              As a standalone descriptions, this was okay, in this context it lacked the
              magic words - my name. ;o)

              NIcole

              --
              podcasts: http://gnak.de/ - http://useful-sounds.de/ (english)