iTunes question: deleting podcasts

  • Steve Garfield
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2005
      Hi podcasters,

      Happy New Year.

      I'm trying to keep my disk clean and can't figure out how to delete
      podcast from my iTunes playlist and also have it deleted from my iTunes
      library and the iTunes Music folder.

      Do you know if iTunes can delete a podcast from the iTunes library when
      I delete the podcast from my playlist.

      My Settings
      In iTunes, under advanced settings I have selected and deselected:

      [ Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library ]

      Then, when I delete a podcast from my podcast playlist, it doesn't get
      deleted from the library.

      Thanks,
      --Steve
      --------------------------------
      Web Site:
      http://stevegarfield.com
      --------------------------------
    • David Johnson
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2005
        I haven't found a way to make this happen. If you delete the file
        from the iTunes library, it will ask if you also want to delete the
        file, but it doesn't work the other way. This is something I'm
        currently trying to figure out a workaround with Doppler. It removes
        old files if I ask it to, but it does not remove the file from the
        iTunes library at the same time.

        On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 11:58:41 -0500, Steve Garfield
        <steve@...> wrote:

        > Hi podcasters,
        >
        > Happy New Year.
        >
        > I'm trying to keep my disk clean and can't figure out how to delete
        > podcast from my iTunes playlist and also have it deleted from my iTunes
        > library and the iTunes Music folder.
        >
        > Do you know if iTunes can delete a podcast from the iTunes library when
        > I delete the podcast from my playlist.
        >
        > My Settings
        > In iTunes, under advanced settings I have selected and deselected:
        >
        > [ Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library ]
        >
        > Then, when I delete a podcast from my podcast playlist, it doesn't get
        > deleted from the library.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > --Steve

        David Johnson
        http://www.edave.org
      • Jake Ludington
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 2, 2005
          > I haven't found a way to make this happen. If you delete the file
          > from the iTunes library, it will ask if you also want to delete the
          > file, but it doesn't work the other way. This is something I'm
          > currently trying to figure out a workaround with Doppler. It removes
          > old files if I ask it to, but it does not remove the file from the
          > iTunes library at the same time.

          I'm not entirely certain how iTunes stores the data, but I believe it
          maintains a database of the audio files built when it searches the folders
          for audio in the supported formats. When you delete a file from the hard
          drive directly, the database isn't updated until you run a search for
          content on your system again. I think there is a way you can delete the file
          from the iTunes database programmatically by making a call to the iTunes
          database but I'm not sure that's documented by Apple. Windows Media Player
          has a similar flaw, which I workaround by creating an Auto Playlist, but
          iTunes doesn't support creating Smart Playlists based on watching a specific
          folder.

          Jake
        • Jonathan Greene
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 3, 2005
            Hold down option when deleting the file and it removes it from the
            library and gives the option to remove from your drive.

            On Jan 2, 2005, at 2:59 PM, Jake Ludington wrote:

            >> I haven't found a way to make this happen. If you delete the file
            >> from the iTunes library, it will ask if you also want to delete the
            >> file, but it doesn't work the other way. This is something I'm
            >> currently trying to figure out a workaround with Doppler. It removes
            >> old files if I ask it to, but it does not remove the file from the
            >> iTunes library at the same time.
            >
            > I'm not entirely certain how iTunes stores the data, but I believe it
            > maintains a database of the audio files built when it searches the
            > folders
            > for audio in the supported formats. When you delete a file from the
            > hard
            > drive directly, the database isn't updated until you run a search for
            > content on your system again. I think there is a way you can delete
            > the file
            > from the iTunes database programmatically by making a call to the
            > iTunes
            > database but I'm not sure that's documented by Apple. Windows Media
            > Player
            > has a similar flaw, which I workaround by creating an Auto Playlist,
            > but
            > iTunes doesn't support creating Smart Playlists based on watching a
            > specific
            > folder.
            >

            > Jake
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • vegheadjones
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 3, 2005
              Can I assume this only works for Macs? Any way to do this in Windows?

              On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 11:06:01 -0500, Jonathan Greene
              <atmasphere@...> wrote:

              > Hold down option when deleting the file and it removes it from the
              > library and gives the option to remove from your drive.
              >

              > On Jan 2, 2005, at 2:59 PM, Jake Ludington wrote:
              >

              > >> I haven't found a way to make this happen. If you delete the file
              > >> from the iTunes library, it will ask if you also want to delete the
              > >> file, but it doesn't work the other way. This is something I'm
              > >> currently trying to figure out a workaround with Doppler. It removes
              > >> old files if I ask it to, but it does not remove the file from the
              > >> iTunes library at the same time.
              > >
              > > I'm not entirely certain how iTunes stores the data, but I believe it
              > > maintains a database of the audio files built when it searches the
              > > folders
              > > for audio in the supported formats. When you delete a file from the
              > > hard
              > > drive directly, the database isn't updated until you run a search for
              > > content on your system again. I think there is a way you can delete
              > > the file
              > > from the iTunes database programmatically by making a call to the
              > > iTunes
              > > database but I'm not sure that's documented by Apple. Windows Media
              > > Player
              > > has a similar flaw, which I workaround by creating an Auto Playlist,
              > > but
              > > iTunes doesn't support creating Smart Playlists based on watching a
              > > specific
              > > folder.
              > >

              > > Jake
              > >

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              Thanks,

              Vegheadjones

              The question is not, "Can they reason?" nor, "Can they talk?" but
              rather, "Can they suffer?"
              Jeremy Bentham
            • Steve Garfield
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 3, 2005
                Nice!!!

                That worked. Thanks!

                I am so psyched that you posted that solution.

                --Steve

                On Jan 3, 2005, at 11:06 AM, Jonathan Greene wrote:

                > Hold down option when deleting the file and it removes it from the
                > library and gives the option to remove from your drive.
                >

                > On Jan 2, 2005, at 2:59 PM, Jake Ludington wrote:
                >

                > >> I haven't found a way to make this happen.� If you delete the file
                > >> from the iTunes library, it will ask if you also want to delete the
                > >> file, but it doesn't work the other way.� This is something I'm
                > >> currently trying to figure out a workaround with Doppler.� It
                > removes
                > >> old files if I ask it to, but it does not remove the file from the
                > >> iTunes library at the same time.
                > >
                > > I'm not entirely certain how iTunes stores the data, but I believe
                > it
                > > maintains a database of the audio files built when it searches the
                > > folders
                > > for audio in the supported formats. When you delete a file from the
                > > hard
                > > drive directly, the database isn't updated until you run a search
                > for
                > > content on your system again. I think there is a way you can delete
                > > the file
                > > from the iTunes database programmatically by making a call to the
                > > iTunes
                > > database but I'm not sure that's documented by Apple. Windows Media
                > > Player
                > > has a similar flaw, which I workaround by creating an Auto Playlist,
                > > but
                > > iTunes doesn't support creating Smart Playlists based on watching a
                > > specific
                > > folder.
                > >

                > > Jake
                > >

                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                > <121504_y1204_b_300250a.gif>
                > <l.gif>

                > �
                > �
                > Service.

              • Bill Zegarski
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 3, 2005
                  On my Windows machine, when I delete a song in the main Library window,
                  itunes first asks for confirmation that I want to remove the file from
                  the library. It then asks if I want to send the file to the recycle
                  bin. I don't think I turned on any special settings to get this
                  behavior.

                  <atmasphere@...> wrote:

                  > Hold down option when deleting the file and it removes it from the
                  > library and gives the option to remove from your drive.
                  >

                  > On Jan 2, 2005, at 2:59 PM, Jake Ludington wrote:
                  >

                  > >> I haven't found a way to make this happen. If you delete the file
                  > >> from the iTunes library, it will ask if you also want to delete the
                  > >> file, but it doesn't work the other way. This is something I'm
                  > >> currently trying to figure out a workaround with Doppler. It
                  removes
                  > >> old files if I ask it to, but it does not remove the file from the
                  > >> iTunes library at the same time.
                  > >
                  > > I'm not entirely certain how iTunes stores the data, but I believe
                  it
                  > > maintains a database of the audio files built when it searches the
                  > > folders
                  > > for audio in the supported formats. When you delete a file from the
                  > > hard
                  > > drive directly, the database isn't updated until you run a search
                  for
                  > > content on your system again. I think there is a way you can delete
                  > > the file
                  > > from the iTunes database programmatically by making a call to the
                  > > iTunes
                  > > database but I'm not sure that's documented by Apple. Windows Media
                  > > Player
                  > > has a similar flaw, which I workaround by creating an Auto Playlist,
                  > > but
                  > > iTunes doesn't support creating Smart Playlists based on watching a
                  > > specific
                  > > folder.
                  > >

                  > > Jake
                  > >

                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Thanks,

                  Vegheadjones

                  The question is not, "Can they reason?" nor, "Can they talk?" but
                  rather, "Can they suffer?"
                  Jeremy Bentham

                  _____

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  HYPERLINK
                  "http://groups.yahoo.com/group/podcasters/"http://groups.yahoo.com/group
                  /podcasters/

                  HYPERLINK
                  "mailto:podcasters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe"podca

                • vegheadjones
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 3, 2005
                    Same here. The question is, can you delete it from the library and
                    move to the recycle bin from a playlist?

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 3, 2005
                      Same on a Mac I think, BUT I was deleting the file from a playlist, and
                      it wasn't getting deleted from the library at the same time as I
                      wanted..

                    • David Johnson
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 3, 2005
                        Ok, I've been playing around with Doppler a little more and it does
                        have the option to remove the track from the iTunes library when it
                        deletes the file. Seems to work pretty well. I can have Doppler
                        clean up my podcast directory structure by total file size, or age.
                        It will remove the file and remove the library entry at the same time.
                        I'm pretty sure there's a Mac version too if anyone's interested.

                        On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 12:28:50 -0500, vegheadjones <vegheadjones@...> wrote:

                        > Same here. The question is, can you delete it from the library and
                        > move to the recycle bin from a playlist?
                        >
                        > On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 12:21:27 -0500, Bill Zegarski
                        > <billzegarski@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > On my Windows machine, when I delete a song in the main Library window,
                        > > itunes first asks for confirmation that I want to remove the file from
                        > > the library. It then asks if I want to send the file to the recycle
                        > > bin. I don't think I turned on any special settings to get this
                        > > behavior.

                        David Johnson
                        http://www.edave.org
                      • Jonathan Greene
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 3, 2005
                          I know on Mac... when you do the option delete the tracks do get moved
                          to the trash for final deletion.

                          On Jan 3, 2005, at 12:28 PM, vegheadjones wrote:

                          > Same here. The question is, can you delete it from the library and
                          > move to the recycle bin from a playlist?
                          >

                          > On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 12:21:27 -0500, Bill Zegarski
                          > <billzegarski@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> On my Windows machine, when I delete a song in the main Library
                          >> window,
                          >> itunes first asks for confirmation that I want to remove the file from
                          >> the library. It then asks if I want to send the file to the recycle
                          >> bin. I don't think I turned on any special settings to get this
                          >> behavior.

                        • Bill Zegarski
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 3, 2005
                            I don't think so. I think that only removes it from the current
                            playlist

                            "http://groups.yahoo.com/group"http://groups.yahoo.com/group

                            "http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/"http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/"Yah

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 4, 2005