[Beginner] why record live ?

  • luc@saint-elie.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 31, 2004
      Hello (and happy new year),

      I maintain a weblog for some time (http://blog.saint-elie.com) and i'm
      planning to add audio content for 2005.

      I'm reading several websites (and some of this list messages) and near
      all are talking about direct recording with an audio app.
      As far as I hve endustood for example the Engadget tutorial explains
      how to record in real time several sources at once.

      What I plan to do is the record the voice part on a MiniDisc, then
      when I'm happy with it get it in an audio app on my Apple iBook
      (probably Audacity), then add some ambiance sounds or music.

      Is this stupid ?

      Any advice very welcome

      Luc
    • Matt May
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 31, 2004
        On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 17:49:31 -0000, luc@...
        <luc@...> wrote:
        > I'm reading several websites (and some of this list messages) and near
        > all are talking about direct recording with an audio app.
        > As far as I hve endustood for example the Engadget tutorial explains
        > how to record in real time several sources at once.
        >
        > What I plan to do is the record the voice part on a MiniDisc, then
        > when I'm happy with it get it in an audio app on my Apple iBook
        > (probably Audacity), then add some ambiance sounds or music.
        >
        > Is this stupid ?

        Stupid, no, but it is time-consuming, and that aspect is going to
        affect how often you update, and how enjoyable all this is after a
        couple of weeks. Blogger burnout is already pretty high in the first
        few months. If we want a lot of happy podcasters around, people are
        going to have to be comfortable with doing the one take and being
        happy with it.

        I just recorded my first live Staccato using iTunes and Audio Hijack
        Pro. For me, it actually takes _more_ time overall, since I have to
        stand around while the music plays, but one thing it does is that it
        makes it a _really_ unpleasant-sounding idea to go back and re-edit
        something because I had one um or ah too many. So I won't end up
        obsessing over noise and voiceover music in Audacity for each of my
        segments, which is a major time sink.

        If you're just starting out, I highly recommend taking your first few
        shows just getting comfortable with your own voice and gear, and if
        you don't like how you sound in one of them, just take that as
        guidance for your next one and move on. If you _really_ don't like it,
        you can just say it was a practice podcast, and start over. :)

        As far as voiceover goes, Audio Hijack Pro's Voiceover plugin is
        great. Just set the crossfade most of the way over to Voice, and you
        should be good to go. It's a pain to do in the post with Audacity,
        IMO.

        Anyway, while I'm posting, I may as well plug the new live Staccato 5.
        It's a little rough around the edges, but I think it's the best mix to
        date.

        http://staccatomusic.org/5/

        -
      • luc@saint-elie.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 31, 2004
          Matt,

          I understand the "time consuming" aspects, but even a written weblog
          is time consuming. I maintain mine for nearly two years and it
          requires easily two hours a day (writing and /or answering to comments).

          My weblog has some kind of reference status and what my readers like
          is the fact the tone is more free than in a regular media, but the
          content is as much rigorous (if not more rigorous)

          I was thinking about using audio content when the podcast wave
          arrived, so for me it's a great opportunity to get great advices (like
          yours) in a subject (home voice recording) when the information is
          rather rare (all the site about home recording I've found so far
          relates to musicians mainly).

          I strongly believe that if the quality of the content is an obvious
          requirement on the long terme, the quality of the realization is as
          important. A lot of podcast I've heard so far are pleasant to hear
          once, but I can't imagine myself listening to them on a regular basis.
          They are very poorly done from a technical point of view (it's not a
          critic 'im absolutely not sue to be able to do better).

          Having listen to them it's clear for me that what they require (and
          therefore what I require) is a "how to be a radio speaker tutorial :
          the basics" and a "how to be an entry level radio technician : the
          basics", and it's more or less what I'm looking for (among others
          advices).

          Luc

          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Matt May <mattmay@g...> wrote:
          > On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 17:49:31 -0000, luc@s...
          > <luc@s...> wrote:
          > > I'm reading several websites (and some of this list messages) and
          near
          > > all are talking about direct recording with an audio app.
          > > As far as I hve endustood for example the Engadget tutorial explains
          > > how to record in real time several sources at once.
          > >
          > > What I plan to do is the record the voice part on a MiniDisc, then
          > > when I'm happy with it get it in an audio app on my Apple iBook
          > > (probably Audacity), then add some ambiance sounds or music.
          > >
          > > Is this stupid ?
          >
          > Stupid, no, but it is time-consuming, and that aspect is going to
          > affect how often you update, and how enjoyable all this is after a
          > couple of weeks. Blogger burnout is already pretty high in the first
          > few months. If we want a lot of happy podcasters around, people are
          > going to have to be comfortable with doing the one take and being
          > happy with it.
          >
          > I just recorded my first live Staccato using iTunes and Audio Hijack
          > Pro. For me, it actually takes _more_ time overall, since I have to
          > stand around while the music plays, but one thing it does is that it
          > makes it a _really_ unpleasant-sounding idea to go back and re-edit
          > something because I had one um or ah too many. So I won't end up
          > obsessing over noise and voiceover music in Audacity for each of my
          > segments, which is a major time sink.
          >
          > If you're just starting out, I highly recommend taking your first few
          > shows just getting comfortable with your own voice and gear, and if
          > you don't like how you sound in one of them, just take that as
          > guidance for your next one and move on. If you _really_ don't like it,
          > you can just say it was a practice podcast, and start over. :)
          >
          > As far as voiceover goes, Audio Hijack Pro's Voiceover plugin is
          > great. Just set the crossfade most of the way over to Voice, and you
          > should be good to go. It's a pain to do in the post with Audacity,
          > IMO.
          >
          > Anyway, while I'm posting, I may as well plug the new live Staccato 5.
          > It's a little rough around the edges, but I think it's the best mix to
          > date.
          >
          > http://staccatomusic.org/5/
          >
          > -
        • Ross Wm. Rader
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 31, 2004
            luc@... wrote:

            > Having listen to them it's clear for me that what they require (and
            > therefore what I require) is a "how to be a radio speaker tutorial :
            > the basics" and a "how to be an entry level radio technician : the
            > basics", and it's more or less what I'm looking for (among others
            > advices).

            I'll second that. The more I learn, the more I realize that I have no clue.

            Making this stuff sound good as good as I can is really important to me,
            but its really hard to get up the curve fast on this stuff. I realize
            that some people spend years, if not their entire lifetime, learning how
            to make stuff like this sound good without fail - I'd be happy to know
            enough how to make it sound basically decent once in a while. :)

            In other words, I need just enough book lernin' to be able to gooder up
            my podcasts!! :)

            If you have any pointers or delicious tags that I should check out -
            please share! I, for one, would be really grateful.

            Cheers folken,
            --

            -rwr

            Contact info: http://www.blogware.com/profiles/ross
            Skydasher: A great way to start your day
            My weblog: http://www.byte.org
          • Harold Johnson
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 31, 2004
              I found this wonderful book at Borders about a month ago, "Audio
              Anecdotes: Tools, Tips, and Techniques for Digital Audio". It's
              incredibly expensive but I found some great recording advice in it:

              http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1568811047/002-1687594-7076824?v=glance

              It would have made a great Christmas present for anyone starting down
              the path of podcasting, and it's certainly worth a visit to Border to
              read. Check out the chapter on recording techniques and you'll
              recognize the mistakes you've been making.

              Of course, I purposely ignore any and all "rules" when it comes to my
              own recordings...

              Harold J. Johnson
              http://SomethingthatHappened.com

              On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 21:37:13 -0500, Ross Wm. Rader <ross@...> wrote:
              > luc@... wrote:
              >
              > > Having listen to them it's clear for me that what they require (and
              > > therefore what I require) is a "how to be a radio speaker tutorial :
              > > the basics" and a "how to be an entry level radio technician : the
              > > basics", and it's more or less what I'm looking for (among others
              > > advices).
              >
              > I'll second that. The more I learn, the more I realize that I have no clue.
              >
              > Making this stuff sound good as good as I can is really important to me,
              > but its really hard to get up the curve fast on this stuff. I realize
              > that some people spend years, if not their entire lifetime, learning how
              > to make stuff like this sound good without fail - I'd be happy to know
              > enough how to make it sound basically decent once in a while. :)
              >
              > In other words, I need just enough book lernin' to be able to gooder up
              > my podcasts!! :)
              >
              > If you have any pointers or delicious tags that I should check out -
              > please share! I, for one, would be really grateful.
              >
              > Cheers folken,
              > --
              >

              > -rwr
              >

              > Contact info: http://www.blogware.com/profiles/ross
              > Skydasher: A great way to start your day
              > My weblog: http://www.byte.org
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Scot Mcphee
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 1, 2005
                > What I plan to do is the record the voice part on a MiniDisc, then
                > when I'm happy with it get it in an audio app on my Apple iBook
                > (probably Audacity), then add some ambiance sounds or music.

                BTW, putting music in your podcast is a breach of copyright if you
                don't have permission from the relevant copyright holders (master tape
                and mechanicals).

                Why do live? Because it's a lot more FUN that way. I used to do a fair
                bit of live radio years ago and it's lot more fun, felt more like
                'radio' than doing a prerecord with heavy editing (boring). Even when
                we had to do a pre-record, it was always best (and easiest) to try and
                produce it as a piece of live radio and just record it (which is what
                a podcast is like).

                regs
                scot.

                --
                Autonomous Organisation http://www.autonomous.org/
              • luc@saint-elie.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 1, 2005
                  --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Scot Mcphee <scot.mcphee@g...> wrote:
                  > > What I plan to do is the record the voice part on a MiniDisc, then
                  > > when I'm happy with it get it in an audio app on my Apple iBook
                  > > (probably Audacity), then add some ambiance sounds or music.
                  >

                  > BTW, putting music in your podcast is a breach of copyright if you
                  > don't have permission from the relevant copyright holders (master tape
                  > and mechanicals).

                  I know, I'm working with some musicians friends...

                  > Why do live? Because it's a lot more FUN that way. I used to do a fair
                  > bit of live radio years ago and it's lot more fun, felt more like
                  > 'radio' than doing a prerecord with heavy editing (boring). Even when
                  > we had to do a pre-record, it was always best (and easiest) to try and
                  > produce it as a piece of live radio and just record it

                  Good point.
                  But as you stated you have a radio background so you know how to use
                  your voice. It's by far not something obvious for a nearly total
                  beginner like I am. For example, in the little tests i've done I
                  realized that one of the most difficult thing is to.. end sentences.
                  When we talk in normal life we don't always finish sentences, (because
                  we use moves for example for express things), of to have a fluid flow
                  of words without hem..uuuh.. and silence while seraching for the next
                  sentence..

                  >(which is what a podcast is like).

                  I'm not sure to feel in the "podcast move". What interest me are
                  basicaly two things. The first is the fact that the "podcast wave"
                  allow me to access experienced people like you. The other point is
                  purely technical, in some time people will be able to automagically
                  download my files (in some times because the tests I have done show
                  rather clearly that podcast/RSS is very far from mainstream use, it
                  will be the case the day when app like iTunes vill include Podcast
                  download, allowing people to get websites files without wondering how
                  this is done).

                  Luc
                • Julian Yahoo 1
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 1, 2005
                    >Having listen to them it's clear for me that what they require (and
                    therefore what I require) is a "how to be a radio speaker tutorial :
                    the basics" and a "how to be an entry level radio technician : the
                    basics", and it's more or less what I'm looking for (among others
                    advices).

                    That all exists here:

                    http://www.iloveradio.org/ in the Podcasting101 category.

                    >BTW, putting music in your podcast is a breach of copyright if you
                    >don't have permission from the relevant copyright holders (master >tape and
                    mechanicals).

                    And you will be open to retrospective license fees. Don't imagine that you
                    are safe by only putting out a few copies - I can imaging www.archive.org
                    being crawled in a couple of years.

                    Julian

                    Web: www.thepicturepost.co.uk
                    Blog: www.herecomespod.org.uk/blog/
                    Podcast/RSS: http://www.bestchurches.org.uk/rss/offthebeatentrack.xml
                  • Louis Hill
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 1, 2005
                      Well I think you should definately experiment and find what sounds the
                      best to you. I guess it also depends on how frequent you plan on
                      recording. For instance, I try to podcast multiple times a week so
                      with work and any attempts at a personal life, time is a factor so I
                      tend to do a live/one-take approach which has suited me. If I were to
                      move to a once a week or longer timeline I'd probably take the
                      record/edit approach to get a more professional sound.

                      Just my two cents.

                      -Obi

                      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, luc@s... wrote:

                      > Hello (and happy new year),
                      >
                      > I maintain a weblog for some time (http://blog.saint-elie.com) and i'm
                      > planning to add audio content for 2005.
                      >
                      > I'm reading several websites (and some of this list messages) and near
                      > all are talking about direct recording with an audio app.
                      > As far as I hve endustood for example the Engadget tutorial explains
                      > how to record in real time several sources at once.
                      >
                      > What I plan to do is the record the voice part on a MiniDisc, then
                      > when I'm happy with it get it in an audio app on my Apple iBook
                      > (probably Audacity), then add some ambiance sounds or music.
                      >
                      > Is this stupid ?
                      >
                      > Any advice very welcome
                      >
                      > Luc
                    • Nicole Simon
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 1, 2005
                        luc@... wrote:

                        >For example, in the little tests i've done I
                        >realized that one of the most difficult thing is to.. end sentences.

                        Do you consider your listeners to be stupid? :)

                        I 'do' end sentences but I know I jump between topics in one sentence.
                        Should I change that? A little bit. But the rest is my personality.

                        >When we talk in normal life we don't always finish sentences, (because
                        >we use moves for example for express things), of to have a fluid flow
                        >of words without hem..uuuh.. and silence while seraching for the next
                        >sentence..

                        So normally you do end sentences and if I would stop because I am searching
                        for a word I would not podcast at all.

                        OF course, the goal is to eliminate this and get into a more fluent way of
                        speaking a more "natural" way. But if you start your podcast, I don't
                        expect that from you. And maybe what you consider a pause is in my point of
                        view a silence well noticed.

                        Or do you want to change your real life talking also - where you did not
                        end sentences and search for a word?

                        If you really bother about that (I do if I have a pause longer than one /
                        two seconds): I snip my fingers in front of the mike. When you edit the
                        recording, you will see a spike (at least I do but I have a rather quite
                        voice).

                        This unusual spike tells you 'here! edit me!' and makes it therefor much
                        easier to find the spots.

                        hth
                        NIcole

                        --
                        podcasts: http://gnak.de/ - http://useful-sounds.de/ (english)
                        blogs: http://beissholz.de/ - http://ideengeberin.de/
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 1, 2005
                          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Julian Yahoo 1" <julianduk@y...>
                          wrote:
                          > >Having listen to them it's clear for me that what they require (and
                          > therefore what I require) is a "how to be a radio speaker tutorial :
                          > the basics" and a "how to be an entry level radio technician : the
                          > basics", and it's more or less what I'm looking for (among others
                          > advices).
                          >
                          > That all exists here:
                          >
                          > http://www.iloveradio.org/ in the Podcasting101 category.

                          Thanks a lot !

                          At first glance seems more or less what I'm looking for

                          Luc
                        • Luc Saint-Elie
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 1, 2005
                            At 13:59 +0100 1/01/05, Nicole Simon wrote:
                            >luc@... wrote:
                            >
                            >>For example, in the little tests i've done I
                            >>realized that one of the most difficult thing is to.. end sentences.
                            >
                            >Do you consider your listeners to be stupid? :)

                            Hello,

                            I don't really understand how the fact I have to learn how to speak
                            in a fluid manner is related to the fact my readers (and future
                            listeners) are or not stupid (English is not my native language).

                            Wrtign is my job, I'm journalist. My weblog is a way to write more
                            freely things I don't write for paper that pay me. When I write for
                            my weblog I pout in it the exact same amount of time, effort and
                            professionalism as if it was a paid job.
                            I would simply like to do the same with sound.

                            This is not at all easy (for me), i made a test, the sound is
                            horrible, I've not yet receive my hardware and I did that with my
                            iBook integrated microphone (and the sound is really awful), and it
                            took me a pretty big time to eliminate all "hum..." and stuff this
                            way :

                            ftp2.saint-elie.com/sainteli/audio/CN-reponse-2005-01-01.mp3

                            Luc
                          • Nicole Simon
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 1, 2005
                              Luc Saint-Elie <luc@...> wrote:
                              >I don't really understand how the fact I have to learn how to speak
                              >in a fluid manner is related to the fact my readers (and future
                              >listeners) are or not stupid (English is not my native language).

                              You made a point that for example you sometimes do not end sentences. In
                              writing, this would be a problem but not in speaking. Coming from a writing
                              perspective, especially as a journalist, this has to 'hurt' you *very* much
                              because this does now not meet your quality standards.

                              Question is therefor: Does your audience really care if sometimes your
                              sentences do not end or you need a second to think of the word? Or do they
                              just take it as granted that you as a non native speaker have some
                              difficulties and therefor will have patience with you? Asuming you think of
                              english speaking.

                              If you speak in french:
                              Sound is not written words in audio.

                              >I would simply like to do the same with sound.

                              Practice, practice, practice, practice.
                              Have you always written as fast as you do now?

                              Have you ever made sound snippets from you before? If not, 3/4 of it is
                              getting used to your own voice at the beginning.

                              >This is not at all easy (for me), i made a test, the sound is
                              >horrible, I've not yet receive my hardware and I did that with my
                              >iBook integrated microphone (and the sound is really awful),

                              There are worse out there. :o)

                              Question: Was this recorded talking or was this read from paper?

                              Regarding your questions I would asume you did prepare this and read it
                              from the paper.

                              [While I did not like learning french because I have not had good luck with
                              it, I really like french speaking french. ]

                              It may help you to get into the mood of speaking (instead of reading
                              written words, which is a totally different quality in writing) to make
                              catchwords and speak freely on them.

                              You could also try to determine how you write and adapt this to spoken
                              words. Do you take several approaches to your written word? Do you make
                              notes first and then just write? What is the way you can easily produce
                              written words? I found that the way I write and speak is 'in production'
                              very similar.

                              While still different in some topics, there are things which are alike. For
                              example I am better at editing than writing. So I quickly write down and do
                              more effort with editing my words. Over the time, the quality of my writing
                              has improved and editing and writing are closer together meaning less time
                              needed for editing.

                              Same with audio recording. I am better at respeaking words at once and make
                              a special mark while recording and edit this later = cutting out whole
                              sentences because I rerecorded them.

                              After a while I also learned to 'see' my aehms and uhms. They have a
                              special pattern. It helps to speak slower - for the listener to understand
                              and for me to edit.

                              I think you might have had a hell of editing because you speak *very* fast
                              plus french is a language with very connected sounds/words. :o)

                              hth
                              Nicole

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 1, 2005
                                --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Nicole Simon <nisi@g...> wrote:

                                > Question is therefor: Does your audience really care if sometimes your
                                > sentences do not end or you need a second to think of the word? Or
                                do they
                                > just take it as granted that you as a non native speaker have some
                                > difficulties and therefor will have patience with you? Asuming you
                                think of
                                > english speaking.

                                Nicole,`

                                From my very short (2 days) experience, it depends heavily of the voice.
                                I have a rather uninteresting normal voice, and all kind of
                                hesitations sound very badly.
                                I had a look.. well a ear.. at your podcast. You have a very pleasant,
                                sensual voice, not even a radio voice, an much more attractive voice
                                than that.
                                I supoose that if in the middle of a sentence you say "well.. wait a
                                minute, I have to take off my shoes.." everybody, me included, will
                                find this wonderfull.

                                I'm not exactly in this situation....

                                > >This is not at all easy (for me), i made a test, the sound is
                                > >horrible, I've not yet receive my hardware and I did that with my
                                > >iBook integrated microphone (and the sound is really awful),
                                >
                                > There are worse out there. :o)
                                >
                                > Question: Was this recorded talking or was this read from paper?

                                It was talking, I didn't read it. In fact it's an answer to a
                                question asked in a post comment, so it was rather easy to find the
                                righs words

                                > You could also try to determine how you write and adapt this to spoken
                                > words. Do you take several approaches to your written word? Do you make
                                > notes first and then just write? What is the way you can easily produce
                                > written words? I found that the way I write and speak is 'in production'
                                > very similar.

                                I'm afraid it's not my case.
                                When I have an article to write, I strat by writing everything I have
                                collected on this topic without wondering if it as a structute. Then
                                when all the info in on the paper (on my screen) I work on it a little
                                bit as if I was doing sculpture.

                                But it seem obvious to me today that you are damn right, and to go for
                                the long term, I have to find a "spoken style", as I have developped a
                                "written style"

                                > Same with audio recording. I am better at respeaking words at once
                                and make
                                > a special mark while recording and edit this later = cutting out whole
                                > sentences because I rerecorded them.

                                Could you explain that. I had a very hard time in Audacity for
                                searching, finding and supressing "hums.."

                                > After a while I also learned to 'see' my aehms and uhms. They have a
                                > special pattern. It helps to speak slower - for the listener to
                                understand
                                > and for me to edit.

                                Interesting, I'll try to observe that !

                                Thanks a lot Nicole
                              • Olivier
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 2, 2005
                                  Hi hi :)

                                  Le vendredi 31 décembre 2004 à 17:49 +0000, luc@... a écrit :
                                  > Hello (and happy new year),

                                  \o/ Happy new year to you too :)

                                  > What I plan to do is the record the voice part on a MiniDisc, then
                                  > when I'm happy with it get it in an audio app on my Apple iBook
                                  > (probably Audacity), then add some ambiance sounds or music.

                                  > Is this stupid ?

                                  I don't find this stupid. I plan to do this with my "show". I already
                                  made a website (unmaintain for 10 months now :( ) wich presents
                                  rollerblading (fitness) in Bordeaux, and the nicest ways to go and
                                  discovers the wine area :) I Made a website, lots of photos I dhoot
                                  myself. It's difficult for me to present something, with not being on
                                  the place.
                                  So I decided to do the same with my podcast, discovering Bordeaux. I
                                  will present and comment each place of the city and some areas, and
                                  directly record there, so listeners would feel being with me. I think
                                  that the global sound is a neat addition to the podcast.

                                  But I'm doing this, because of the topic (presenting a place). One
                                  podcast will be on the beach. I think listener would be happier to feel
                                  on the beach than listening to a flat emotionless voice.

                                  As others people said here, this take more time to do that kind of
                                  podcast ! You need a preparation, need to go to the place you want to
                                  present, come back home and re-record everything on the computer and cut
                                  out all the crap sound :)

                                  I record my podcast on a minidisc. MD are made to record voice and
                                  music, where mp3 players, ipod, etc.. are only voice recorder. The
                                  quality is much better.

                                  Hope this helps you :)

                                  Olivier
                                • Scot Mcphee
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 2, 2005

                                    >> Why do live? Because it's a lot more FUN that way. I used to do a fair
                                    >> bit of live radio years ago and it's lot more fun, felt more like
                                    >> 'radio' than doing a prerecord with heavy editing (boring). Even when
                                    >> we had to do a pre-record, it was always best (and easiest) to try and
                                    >> produce it as a piece of live radio and just record it
                                    >
                                    >Good point.
                                    >But as you stated you have a radio background so you know how to use
                                    >your voice. It's by far not something obvious for a nearly total
                                    >beginner like I am. For example, in the little tests i've done I
                                    >realized that one of the most difficult thing is to.. end sentences.
                                    >When we talk in normal life we don't always finish sentences, (because
                                    >we use moves for example for express things), of to have a fluid flow
                                    >of words without hem..uuuh.. and silence while seraching for the next
                                    >sentence..

                                    Well, I worked mainly on the producer side of the microphone, not the
                                    'talent' end of it so I'm not such fount of knowledge on actually
                                    using *my* voice. I hate the sound of it actually <heh>. Anyway I
                                    think you overestimate the amount of knowledge necessary to produce
                                    acceptable results. I think the first thing to remember is that "BBC
                                    English" isn't necessary to make good radio - you just need a story
                                    and a good storyteller, really. Getting rid of umms aahs and noise
                                    words ("like", "so", etc) basically takes a bit of practice, but not a
                                    lot and the more you do it the better you get. Just like most things.
                                    For the rest (knowing what to say) I'd say express it in the most
                                    natural form for yourself, don't force it, and if you have difficulty
                                    remembering your main points, write out cue cards before hand with the
                                    major topic words on them.

                                    regs
                                    scot.

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 7, 2005
                                      Le samedi 01 janvier 2005 à 13:59 +0100, Nicole Simon a écrit :
                                      > luc@... wrote:
                                      >
                                      > >For example, in the little tests i've done I
                                      > >realized that one of the most difficult thing is to.. end sentences.
                                      >
                                      > Do you consider your listeners to be stupid? :)

                                      I understand what Luc means.. He doesn't think that the listener is
                                      stupid. But when you talk, you have your way to talk, intonation,
                                      inflection, etc.. that the people around you know. But when you consider
                                      anybody around the world, you need to be more carefull of how you are
                                      saying your meaning :p And that's a difficult task, I can assure you :p

                                      If you listen to my first test podcast, and if you knew how I'm usually
                                      speaking, you would notice a big difference :o)
                                      Most of the "problem" is the local accent ;)

                                      I've to (re)learn how to be understood ;)

                                      That's why I'm writing as much as poxxible the text I will record. I
                                      hope that with time, I'll be more confortable with all that :)

                                      (btw, my rss feed is almost ready, I need a final check for validity
                                      then the next podcast will follow :) )

                                      Olivier
                                    • Nicole Simon
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jan 7, 2005
                                        Olivier <olisker@...> wrote:
                                        >(btw, my rss feed is almost ready, I need a final check for validity
                                        >then the next podcast will follow :) )

                                        Make sure the description says what you like it to say ... When pinging
                                        audio.weblogs.com for the first time, your description will be taken and
                                        send to ipodder.org.

                                        I was kind of surprised to see the sudden rise in referrers until i
                                        realised that I hat pinged for the first time with my new podcast.php feed
                                        - which the script took and made a new entry out of it.

                                        As a standalone descriptions, this was okay, in this context it lacked the
                                        magic words - my name. ;o)

                                        NIcole