Re: [podcasters] Hardware/Software

  • Olivier
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 30, 2004
      Hi Tood,

      Le mercredi 29 décembre 2004 à 15:08 -1000, Geek News a écrit :
      > Ok folks I am doing some research and would love to have raw hardware and
      > software list so that I can build a list of tools everyone is using. I am
      > especially interested in any hardware/software you are using during or after
      > production to process your audio.

      - I'm using a 2 years old MiniDisc to record my podcast (Sony MZ-N710).
      - The Mic is a cheap headset I had for years. As my podcast are still in
      test, it will help me a little while :p
      - I record then the MD disk on my linux or windows box (depending of the
      moment) using Audacity. The mix is made by Audacity too.
      - the MP3 creation is made by Lame @ 128 Kbps.

      > I am also curious if anyone has tried any radio station type software for
      > cueing audio etc..

      Well, it's too soon to say buy a radio quality equipment. And if once I
      had to buy that kind of soft/hardware, this would means (for me) that I
      go professional... But isn't it meaning I'm not podcasting with glitches
      and sctratches ?.. :)

      Olivier
    • Jason @ Insomnia Radio
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 30, 2004
        Hey Todd;

        Here's my setup:
        I use a Dell 4600 P4. To record, I use an MXL-990 condenser microphone
        plugged in to a Behringer UB802 mixer. I also run my iPod through
        that, into the sound card...

        As far as software, I use Adobe Audition for the entire
        recording/mixing/editing process....

        Then i use iTunes to tag the mp3 files.
      • Nicole Simon
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2005
          "Geek News" <geek@...> wrote:
          >Ok folks I am doing some research and would love to have raw hardware and
          >software list so that I can build a list of tools everyone is using.

          Hm I think I just wrote a lenghtly thing about that and deleted it because
          it did not fit into the article *grr*

          (1 Euro is about 1.3 dollar)

          I started of with a headseat for 20 Euro. I wanted one anyway for skyping
          and did my first pods with it. But it has a kind of metalical sound to it
          which I did not like (yes I am picky about how my voice sounds and want it
          to be better than that *g*)

          As I have fried who has a very very costly studio setup because he is
          musican plus kind of producer I have my personal consultant - and some
          things I have from there which I have not paid but have to return one day.
          ;o)

          After finding "yes I would like to make this more often) I decided to
          invest some money. As I do also a radio show (and sometimes have to
          rerecord some bits), soundfiles for telephone systems and my website, the
          quality from my headphone was not good enough.

          While thinking about the uses _I_ would probably have, I discovered these
          things:
          - I won't need a mixer as I don't do much sound in my podcast and
          if I do, i edit it into the soundfile
          - I want recording of skype but I don't have the mixdown because I
          have a built in soundcard
          - usb would be nice

          I did by myself a little tascam usb-122 because I figured that my voice
          will be best recorded with a studio mic - and they usually do have XLR
          sticker and need phantom power. It is usb powered.
          http://tascam.com/Products/US-122.html

          The studio mic I use is a 30 Euro mic but has no label on it - it's just a
          basic studio mic. I agree on the mic but Jimmy Jett used a karaoke mic, so
          there might be good mics out there with out the costly cookie recepie. ;)

          Advantage with this solution:
          My headset is still plugged into my computer for head / mic and my normal
          headphones are plugged into the tascam - so i have do not need to change
          settings for a skype session.

          For editing I use an older version of Cool edit - I noticed I can do
          editing best here, but that is a personal thing.

          But for recording, I do use audacity. I figured that Cool Edit is 'to
          precice' in recording. I am 30 cm away from my mic and you hear this when I
          record in cool edit - I would need to lean toward the mic which gives me
          backpain. But not in audacity.

          I record in mono, split stereo in audacity and save in wav, edit this in
          the mixer of cool edit and then make a mixdown in mp3.

          For quality I used 32 Khz and 80 kbit but am thinking about changing it to
          44 or 22 Khz because I never tried my own stuff on my palm, there seems to
          be a problem with != 22/44 recordings.

          hth
          Nicole

          --