Re: [podcasters] Podcastathon?

  • Pat Cook
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2005
      Hi everyone:

      At 11:40 AM 8/2/2005, you wrote:
      >--- Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:
      > > That said, I don't think it's a great idea either,
      > > because very few
      > > podcasts have listeners dedicated enough to want to
      > > listen to that
      > > sort of gimmick. Blog posts aren't such a big deal;
      > > it only takes a
      > > minute to skim even a long one. Podcasts take real
      > > time to listen to,
      > > and if you set a goal (even for a one-day charity
      > > stunt) of simply
      > > pumping out material, you'd have to be *really* good
      > > to keep your
      > > listeners' interest through all of it.
      >
      >And really, how many ventriliquist and tap dancing
      >podcasters are out there. We do have a comedian from
      >NLO, but it would be hard to assemble the type of
      >talent needed to make a podcastathon. Any plate
      >spinning podcasters out there?
      >;)

      And let's also not forget that podcasting, unlike streaming media, is
      still considered a largely UNPROVEN technology when it comes to
      influencing the social culture of today's society. Basically put,
      the term 'podcast' is still not exactly a "household name" whereas
      "blog" (And to be even more brutal, streaming media doesn't have much
      influence either).

      True a podcast is basically an audio blog, but when people think of
      blogs and blogging, people think in terms of someone putting thoughts
      and words into text. Not audio. When people (at least those of us
      who are familiar with it) think of podcasting, we think of someone
      creating a radio-style show for the iPod. Not exactly the "Behind
      the scenes" and "Gossipy" reputation that text blogs tend to have.

      As I said before, the original idea wouldn't work for all the reasons
      previously stated. But it doesn't neccessarily mean that something
      *similar* to it can't be done though. :-)

      Cheers for now :-)

      Pat Cook
      patspodcast@... (FEEDBACK EMAIL)
      Denver, Colorado