Re: [podcasters] Re: Hate Email

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2005
      On 8/2/05, timbearcub <tim@...> wrote:

      > Doesn't make the comment right, just surprised that they were, well,
      > surprised. Comes with the (occupied) territory, so to speak...

      But the Israelisms podcast *isn't about that.* And since the flamer
      apparently listened to it, he should have known better.

      It was a racist non sequitur, pure and simple, and there's nothing
      about the name or the nature of the podcast that would provoke it.
      And if you think there is, why don't you explain to us what Charley
      *should* have done? Named his podcast something generic and boring?
      Refrained from podcasting, simply because *you* have issues with his
      country of origin? What's the right answer here?

      > So,I guess Stephen you'll be telling me podcasters have no
      > resonsibility for the actions of their state or country? Or foreign
      > policy?

      You're joking, right? Of course we don't. My example is getting
      tired here, but I'll do it again: I podcast science fiction short
      stories. What *responsibility* does that give me? Should I choose
      all my stories solely based on their relevance to this week's
      headlines? That'd make for timeless entertainment, wouldn't it?

      Don't get your head too far in the clouds. Some of us may think we
      can change the world with our podcasts, but nobody's obliged to, or
      seriously expected to guide public policy. (With the possible
      exception of the John Edwards podcast, and that's a major stretch.)

      ESCAPE POD - the SF podcast magazine
      http://escape.extraneous.org
    • timbearcub
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3, 2005
        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Eley <SFEley@g...> wrote:
        > On 8/2/05, timbearcub <tim@t...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Doesn't make the comment right, just surprised that they were, well,
        > > surprised. Comes with the (occupied) territory, so to speak...
        >
        > But the Israelisms podcast *isn't about that.* And since the flamer
        > apparently listened to it, he should have known better.
        >
        > It was a racist non sequitur, pure and simple, and there's nothing
        > about the name or the nature of the podcast that would provoke it.
        > And if you think there is, why don't you explain to us what Charley
        > *should* have done? Named his podcast something generic and boring?
        > Refrained from podcasting, simply because *you* have issues with his
        > country of origin? What's the right answer here?

        Well Charley shouldn't have been surprised, for a start...I'm sure if
        I called my cast British Best Mashups or Britishisms, someone would
        take a swipe. Identifying so closely to a nationality means possible
        nationalism; and it offends some.

        Not saying Charley should change a thing. Just surprised he didn't
        expect that one - since Israel has always had a contentious image,
        naming your cast after it would always mean someone would take a
        swipe? Don't the suicide bombs also there kind of slightly 'suggest'
        that not everyone thinks Israel is the greatest?

        In fact, to be flippant, I'm surprised I've not gotten rabid Clash
        fans telling me I don't play enough Clash. Your podcast name does mean
        a lot you know. As does your country of origin, unless you keep it
        very quiet - again a decision.

        > > So,I guess Stephen you'll be telling me podcasters have no
        > > resonsibility for the actions of their state or country? Or foreign
        > > policy?
        >
        > You're joking, right? Of course we don't. My example is getting
        > tired here, but I'll do it again: I podcast science fiction short
        > stories. What *responsibility* does that give me? Should I choose
        > all my stories solely based on their relevance to this week's
        > headlines? That'd make for timeless entertainment, wouldn't it?
        >
        > Don't get your head too far in the clouds. Some of us may think we
        > can change the world with our podcasts, but nobody's obliged to, or
        > seriously expected to guide public policy. (With the possible
        > exception of the John Edwards podcast, and that's a major stretch.)

        Responsibility != doing anything.

        I mean responsibility in the case of political awareness - like when
        the bombings happened here. If you'd ignored it as a British caster
        that would be your choice; but really I think all British podcasters
        felt they had to respond in some way.

        And no I don't think podcasting is neccessarily going to change
        anything politically or socially - it might do. But every artist,
        musician, and podcaster has a responsibility to be at least *aware* of
        what's going on; preferably to act or respond. To deny any association
        to the perception or image of your stated country of origin
        (especially when it's in this case in the name of the cast!) is a bit
        odd, to say the least (unless you've decided it's not important, and
        never mention it....)

        We don't all live in separate bubbles, each our own separate countries
        or states...and I'd say, call me a dreamer if you want - we have a
        responsibility to tell the truth, even if it's just our own particular
        ones, but those truths are part of a larger interconnecting network,
        which does involve state and country and eventually the rest of the world.