Podcast Navigation

  • alex_nesbitt
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 29, 2004
      I'm new to the list so forgive me if this has been addressed
      already.

      I am interested in learning about the group's ideas about the best
      ways to help new podcast listeners find the podcasts they want to
      hear.

      I came across podcasts after doing some research on an article I
      wrote describing how its becoming an iPod world. The concept being
      that the people of the world have been incredibly stressed out over
      the passed four years - 9/11, bombings, irag, afganistan, tidal
      waves, politics - you name it, it has been stressful, except for the
      iPod.

      It's growth has been incredible and the growth has been for many
      reasons -but high on the list are that it made people's lives easier.

      Now podcasts come along and finding podcasts that i like is hard. Not
      very iPod like. OPML gives me little to go on. Descriptions don't
      tell me why I should listen.

      I've started a list of podcasts to try to sort it out - you can see
      half off it at www.digitalpodcast.com which I put together to help me
      sort it out. I still have another 300 listings to add, but am
      struggling to find the best way to caterogize them now that I'm
      approaching over a 1000 different podcasts.

      Any ideas?

      Alex
      www.digitalpodcast.com
    • Julian Yahoo 1
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 30, 2004
        There are directories at:

        www.podcastalley.com and ipodder.org (currently down).

        You may be reinventing the wheel.

        Also, various people have lists on their blogs.

        Also, watch for the Yahoo group podcast-review which is going live soon. It will be announced here when it happens.

        Julian

        Web: www.thepicturepost.co.uk
        Blog: www.herecomespod.org.uk/blog/
        Podcast/RSS: http://www.bestchurches.org.uk/rss/offthebeatentrack.xml

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 30, 2004
          This project goes way beyond creating a directory.

          _____

          I'm new to the list so forgive me if this has been addressed
          already.

          I am interested in learning about the group's ideas about the best
          ways to help new podcast listeners find the podcasts they want to
          hear.

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12923q978/M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/D=gr
          oups/S=1705004726:HM/EXP=1104501466/A=2455396/R=0/SIG=119u9qmi7/*http://smal
          lbusiness.yahoo.com/domains/> click here

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/D=groups/S=
          :HM/A=2455396/rand=850824851>

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • Geek News
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 30, 2004
            Sorry had my list mixed up when I responded to this disregard last post.

            _____

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 30, 2004
              I agree this is much more than a directory project. A directory is
              just crude start at navigation for podcast content. I'm wondering
              what it will take to make finding the podcasts you like findable.

              Maybe there needs to be some standard way of adding keywords to the
              opml listings so that the content is easier to categorize or maybe we
              need a way of indexing the audio file itself.

              The other thought I had was the development of podcast channels, like
              the discovery channel, food channel etc.

              I'm curious to learn what others are thinking on this subject.

              Alex
              www.digitalpodcast.com

              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Geek News" <geek@g...> wrote:
              > This project goes way beyond creating a directory.

            • Harold Johnson
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 1, 2005
                Hi Alex,

                Welcome to the list - your contribution to podcasting is appreciated!
                I checked out your directory and I'll be adding it to my weblog,
                audioblogs.info.

                I have a suggestion for you. Since my podcast "Something that
                Happened" is relatively far down any alphabetical listing, I would
                suggest providing alphabet or alphabet series (i.e., A-F, G-J...)
                links to your directory pages. For some it will seem obvious to click
                the "Next" link to see what else is there, but for others it may not
                be so obvious. Also, as your list grows, folks will want to jump to
                certain listings through as few clicks as possible rather than
                clicking "Next" over and over.

                I would also suggest adding a Narrative or Storytelling category.
                Again, that's because my podcast falls within that category, and it's
                something I'd be looking for.

                The site looks good so far - it's simple and easy to browse, and has
                room for growth (as it most certainly will, exponentially).

                Sincerely,
                Harold J. Johnson
                http://SomethingthatHappened.com