Hardware/Software

  • Geek News
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 29, 2004
      Ok folks I am doing some research and would love to have raw hardware and
      software list so that I can build a list of tools everyone is using. I am
      especially interested in any hardware/software you are using during or after
      production to process your audio.

      I am also curious if anyone has tried any radio station type software for
      cueing audio etc..

      Todd...

    • Olivier
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 30, 2004
        Hi Tood,

        Le mercredi 29 décembre 2004 à 15:08 -1000, Geek News a écrit :
        > Ok folks I am doing some research and would love to have raw hardware and
        > software list so that I can build a list of tools everyone is using. I am
        > especially interested in any hardware/software you are using during or after
        > production to process your audio.

        - I'm using a 2 years old MiniDisc to record my podcast (Sony MZ-N710).
        - The Mic is a cheap headset I had for years. As my podcast are still in
        test, it will help me a little while :p
        - I record then the MD disk on my linux or windows box (depending of the
        moment) using Audacity. The mix is made by Audacity too.
        - the MP3 creation is made by Lame @ 128 Kbps.

        > I am also curious if anyone has tried any radio station type software for
        > cueing audio etc..

        Well, it's too soon to say buy a radio quality equipment. And if once I
        had to buy that kind of soft/hardware, this would means (for me) that I
        go professional... But isn't it meaning I'm not podcasting with glitches
        and sctratches ?.. :)

        Olivier
      • Jason @ Insomnia Radio
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 30, 2004
          Hey Todd;

          Here's my setup:
          I use a Dell 4600 P4. To record, I use an MXL-990 condenser microphone
          plugged in to a Behringer UB802 mixer. I also run my iPod through
          that, into the sound card...

          As far as software, I use Adobe Audition for the entire
          recording/mixing/editing process....

          Then i use iTunes to tag the mp3 files.
        • Nicole Simon
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 1, 2005
            "Geek News" <geek@...> wrote:
            >Ok folks I am doing some research and would love to have raw hardware and
            >software list so that I can build a list of tools everyone is using.

            Hm I think I just wrote a lenghtly thing about that and deleted it because
            it did not fit into the article *grr*

            (1 Euro is about 1.3 dollar)

            I started of with a headseat for 20 Euro. I wanted one anyway for skyping
            and did my first pods with it. But it has a kind of metalical sound to it
            which I did not like (yes I am picky about how my voice sounds and want it
            to be better than that *g*)

            As I have fried who has a very very costly studio setup because he is
            musican plus kind of producer I have my personal consultant - and some
            things I have from there which I have not paid but have to return one day.
            ;o)

            After finding "yes I would like to make this more often) I decided to
            invest some money. As I do also a radio show (and sometimes have to
            rerecord some bits), soundfiles for telephone systems and my website, the
            quality from my headphone was not good enough.

            While thinking about the uses _I_ would probably have, I discovered these
            things:
            - I won't need a mixer as I don't do much sound in my podcast and
            if I do, i edit it into the soundfile
            - I want recording of skype but I don't have the mixdown because I
            have a built in soundcard
            - usb would be nice

            I did by myself a little tascam usb-122 because I figured that my voice
            will be best recorded with a studio mic - and they usually do have XLR
            sticker and need phantom power. It is usb powered.
            http://tascam.com/Products/US-122.html

            The studio mic I use is a 30 Euro mic but has no label on it - it's just a
            basic studio mic. I agree on the mic but Jimmy Jett used a karaoke mic, so
            there might be good mics out there with out the costly cookie recepie. ;)

            Advantage with this solution:
            My headset is still plugged into my computer for head / mic and my normal
            headphones are plugged into the tascam - so i have do not need to change
            settings for a skype session.

            For editing I use an older version of Cool edit - I noticed I can do
            editing best here, but that is a personal thing.

            But for recording, I do use audacity. I figured that Cool Edit is 'to
            precice' in recording. I am 30 cm away from my mic and you hear this when I
            record in cool edit - I would need to lean toward the mic which gives me
            backpain. But not in audacity.

            I record in mono, split stereo in audacity and save in wav, edit this in
            the mixer of cool edit and then make a mixdown in mp3.

            For quality I used 32 Khz and 80 kbit but am thinking about changing it to
            44 or 22 Khz because I never tried my own stuff on my palm, there seems to
            be a problem with != 22/44 recordings.

            hth
            Nicole

            --