Your Podcasting Rig

  • Corey Deitz
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 26, 2005
      Just my 2 cents:

      There are people out there trying to sell Podcasters all kinds of
      hardware and software - sometimes thousands of dollars worth.

      My advice? Start small. Use your computer, a good audio recorder
      (Audacity would be a good choice - it's free) and a very modestly-
      priced microphone.

      Experiment and hone your Podcasting skills. You can do enough basic
      mixing to create good content.

      See if you like Podcasting and enjoy both creating your show and if
      people in turn, enjoy listening.

      If you hang in there a year doing regular shows, treat yourself and
      go for the expensive setup - if you think it will increase your
      quality and if you think your investment is justified.

      Corey Deitz
      http://Radio.about.com
      http://www.Podcastguests.com
      http://www.PodcasterVoiceOvers.com
    • Patrick Melton
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 26, 2005
        I disagree with this. I don’t think you need to spend a ton, but spending
        $100-$200 at the offset doesn’t require much and it does a hell of a lot for
        your sound. Using a computer mic makes your show sound like crap. It just
        does. There are way too many people out there doing it, and I think this is
        a bad recommendation. There are mic/mixer combos out there for under $75. I
        don’t think that’s a “barrier to entry” into podcasting at all. It’s a shame
        how many people have good things to say but are doing it into a USB mic or
        some mic that came with their computer.

        Patrick Melton
        Nobody Likes Onions
        http://www.nobodylikesonions.com

        Proud Member of PodAlliance
        http://www.podalliance.com

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 26, 2005
          There is nothing inherenently wrong with a USB mic. Here's a USB
          condenser mic: http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?itemid=38508

          It's tricker to work with in some cases, but being USB doesn't mean it
          will generate crappy sound. Once you understand that it's not just a
          mic, but a sound card and mic in one device you can usually get the
          software configured to work with it properly. I agree with you about
          using the mic that came with you computer, though. Even a gaming headset
          is a better investment than that.

          Patrick Melton wrote:

          >I disagree with this. I don’t think you need to spend a ton, but spending
          >$100-$200 at the offset doesn’t require much and it does a hell of a lot for
          >your sound. Using a computer mic makes your show sound like crap. It just
          >does. There are way too many people out there doing it, and I think this is
          >a bad recommendation. There are mic/mixer combos out there for under $75. I
          >don’t think that’s a “barrier to entry” into podcasting at all. It’s a shame
          >how many people have good things to say but are doing it into a USB mic or
          >some mic that came with their computer.

        • this_week_in_science
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 26, 2005
            I think good production is more important than some people think.
            It's part of how I evaluate the quality of podcasts and I don't
            think I'm alone on this. There so much content out there to listen
            to and only so many hours in the day - if someone can't be bothered
            to upgrade from the $10 Logitech USB mic they got with their speaker
            set, should I be bothered to listen past the first few minutes of
            their broadcast? Sure I may miss the few odd gems by doing this -
            but I bet not many.

            Think about this. One of the very best vocal mic mics available at
            any price (the Shure SM7B) costs about $350 dollars. This is
            definitely not pocket change, but who says it should be? If you
            have something to meaningful to say and aren't just another podcast
            dilettante then take it seriously - save up for a bit and get some
            decent equipment.

            If you're not yet sure if podcasting is for you and just want to
            test the waters - yes a $49 Sony mic and Audacity will work fine.
            But personally I think if you're interested in making a name for
            yourself and for your show... 60Hz hum, case-fan noise, and a tinny
            dynamic mic is a pretty funny way to go about doing it. :)

            Cheers,
            Marshall Clark
            Technical Director
            This Week in Science - The Kickass Science Radio Show
            http://www.twis.org
            http://www.twis.org/podcast_subscribe.html

            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Melton" <me@p...> wrote:
            > I disagree with this. I don't think you need to spend a ton, but
            spending
            > $100-$200 at the offset doesn't require much and it does a hell of
            a lot for
            > your sound. Using a computer mic makes your show sound like crap.
            It just
            > does. There are way too many people out there doing it, and I
            think this is
            > a bad recommendation. There are mic/mixer combos out there for
            under $75. I
            > don't think that's a "barrier to entry" into podcasting at all.
            It's a shame
            > how many people have good things to say but are doing it into a
            USB mic or
            > some mic that came with their computer.
            >
            > Patrick Melton
            > Nobody Likes Onions
            > http://www.nobodylikesonions.com

            > Proud Member of PodAlliance
            > http://www.podalliance.com

            Service.

          • Pat Cook
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 27, 2005
              Hi everyone:

              At 05:04 PM 7/26/2005, you wrote:
              >Just my 2 cents:
              >
              >There are people out there trying to sell Podcasters all kinds of
              >hardware and software - sometimes thousands of dollars worth.
              >
              >My advice? Start small. Use your computer, a good audio recorder
              >(Audacity would be a good choice - it's free) and a very modestly-
              >priced microphone.

              And for a portable setup, a Digital voice Recorder such as my Olympus
              VN240PC and a broadcast quality clip on mic (Both of which you can
              get dirt cheap at Radio Shack) will do quite nicely if you don't have
              a fancy iRiver laying around at home. ;)

              >See if you like Podcasting and enjoy both creating your show and if
              >people in turn, enjoy listening.
              >
              >If you hang in there a year doing regular shows, treat yourself and
              >go for the expensive setup - if you think it will increase your
              >quality and if you think your investment is justified.

              If people are listening to your show no matter where you do it, you
              will quickly find that an investment in a more expensive setup would
              be WELL worth it. :)

              Hope this helps :)

              Cheers for now :)

              Pat Cook
              patspodcast@... (FEEDBACK EMAIL)
              Denver, Colorado
              PAT'S PODCAST PAGE - http://patspodcast.blogspot.com/
              PAT'S PODCAST RSS FEED - http://feeds.feedburner.com/PatsPodcast
              PAT'S PODCAST & VIDEO BLOG MESSAGE BOARD - http://patspodcast.proboards36.com/
              SKYPE ME @ patspodcast

            • Gareth Trent
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 27, 2005
                On 7/26/05, this_week_in_science <marshall@...> wrote:

                > Think about this. One of the very best vocal mic mics available at
                > any price (the Shure SM7B) costs about $350 dollars. This is
                > definitely not pocket change, but who says it should be?

                I do.

                Content is king and I would much rather listen to Dave Winer and his
                shitty recording because I am actually getting something out of it.
                Humans are adaptable - or at least I am - I can tune out the crappy
                production easily because I am focusing on the content.

                Same with Russell's show - recorded on a Treo 600.

                Same with Mark VanDeWettering's show, recorded on his Dell Axim.

                I could go on. I'm listening to great content that you aren't. Your loss.

                CV
              • Patrick Melton
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 27, 2005
                  Dave Winer's audio is ok though - it isn't unbearable.

                  Some are unbearable, and sorry, content or not, that makes them
                  un-listenable because of the audio annoyance.

                  Patrick Melton
                  Nobody Likes Onions
                  http://www.nobodylikesonions.com

                  Proud Member of PodAlliance
                  http://www.podalliance.com

                  > Think about this.  One of the very best vocal mic mics available at
                  > any price (the Shure SM7B) costs about $350 dollars.  This is
                  > definitely not pocket change, but who says it should be?

                  I do.

                  Content is king and I would much rather listen to Dave Winer and his
                  shitty recording because I am actually getting something out of it.
                  Humans are adaptable - or at least I am - I can tune out the crappy
                  production easily because I am focusing on the content.

                  Same with Russell's show - recorded on a Treo 600.

                  Same with Mark VanDeWettering's show, recorded on his Dell Axim.

                  I could go on.  I'm listening to great content that you aren't.  Your loss.

                  CV

                  Computer software
                  Communication and networking
                  Computer security
                  Computer training

                • GLSmyth
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 27, 2005
                    I guess I would have to say that it depends upon the type of show.
                    Personally, my show is about music, not me. I am in the process of
                    purchasing a good microphone, but the important thing is for me to
                    offer the information that goes with the music that I am playing.
                    Since one listens to little of me and a lot of the music, the music is
                    the overridding factor in this, which lessens the mic's importance.

                    Cheers -

                    george
                    Eclectic Mix
                    http://feeds.feedburner.com/EclecticMix

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 27, 2005
                      I disagree. You don't have to do anything to get the music to sound good,
                      assuming you are going straight digital to digital recording. That takes it
                      completely out of the equation and makes the next most important thing your
                      voice on the show.

                      _____

                      I guess I would have to say that it depends upon the type of show.
                      Personally, my show is about music, not me. I am in the process of
                      purchasing a good microphone, but the important thing is for me to
                      offer the information that goes with the music that I am playing.
                      Since one listens to little of me and a lot of the music, the music is
                      the overridding factor in this, which lessens the mic's importance.

                      Cheers -

                      george
                      Eclectic Mix
                      http://feeds.feedburner.com/EclecticMix

                      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Melton" <me@p...> wrote:
                      > I disagree with this. I don't think you need to spend a ton, but
                      spending
                      > $100-$200 at the offset doesn't require much and it does a hell of a
                      lot for
                      > your sound. Using a computer mic makes your show sound like crap. It
                      just
                      > does. There are way too many people out there doing it, and I think
                      this is
                      > a bad recommendation. There are mic/mixer combos out there for under
                      $75. I
                      > don't think that's a "barrier to entry" into podcasting at all. It's
                      a shame
                      > how many people have good things to say but are doing it into a USB
                      mic or
                      > some mic that came with their computer.
                      >
                      > Patrick Melton
                      > Nobody Likes Onions
                      > http://www.nobodylikesonions.com

                      > Proud Member of PodAlliance
                      > http://www.podalliance.com

                      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                      * Visit your group "podcasters
                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/podcasters> " on the web.

                      _____

                    • timbearcub
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 27, 2005
                        totally agree with this - I started with a tieclip taped to a tripod
                        (good tieclips are also condenser mics...) and recording direct into
                        the computer...

                        After a while I got a Sennheiser e835 mic (40 UKP) and a little
                        Behringer 802 mixer (40-50UKP) - dynamic mics sound as good as the
                        preamp you have, and the Behringer has a good preamp for the price,
                        which is what I use now, with an iRiver.

                        Really I remember what Making Music (a long-time freebie music
                        magazine in the UK) said in their beginning recording with (then 4
                        track portastudio), which was you get the best mic you can afford,
                        then experiment with it. It's all about mic position and technique -
                        you could buy the best mic in the world, but if you don't know where
                        to place it, and which one works best with your voice, it'll probably
                        be a waste of money. I'd say buy something cheap yet reliable and
                        learn on that.

                        Otherwise it's like giving a beginner photographer a Nikon F5 or D2H -
                        there's a good reason why Universities lend or require students get
                        Pentax K or fully manual SLR cameras (or did until fairly recently).
                        You learn a lot more from a basic setup like s Shure SM58 than relying
                        on a whizzy pro mic and automatic / forgiving features.

                        A question - what's a non-silly (ie. over 50-100UKP) priced condenser
                        mic good for remote interviewing - ie. plugging into an iRiver? That's
                        not a strength of a dynamic mic, really...There was an 99 dollar Audio
                        Technica condenser interview mic recommended - any good?

                        Tim

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 27, 2005
                          On 7/27/05, timbearcub <tim@...> wrote:

                          > A question - what's a non-silly (ie. over 50-100UKP) priced condenser
                          > mic good for remote interviewing - ie. plugging into an iRiver? That's
                          > not a strength of a dynamic mic, really...There was an 99 dollar Audio
                          > Technica condenser interview mic recommended - any good?

                          I haven't tried them myself, but these mics seem to be highly
                          recommended on the Podcast Alley forums:

                          http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com/

                          ESCAPE POD - the SF podcast magazine
                          http://escape.extraneous.org