Podcasting is Dead

  • Gareth Trent
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 19, 2005
      I loved what Todd said in response to Frank Barnako's declaration that
      podcast inidies are losing ground...

      "They can slice, dice, repackage, and try to make it into something
      that it isn't. The can wrap it up, and put a pretty bow on it. But
      when you dig down through the layers it is still Garbage In, Garbage
      out."

      Doug Kaye steps in too at
      http://www.rds.com/blogs/doug/index.php/archives/2005/07/18/frank-barnako-steps-on-the-long-tail/

      You know what, I'm OK with Frank saying whatever he wants, because he
      is irrelevant.

      CV
    • Zaldor
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2005
        Surprised no one has brought this up - but how about a
        'PodCast-a-Thon' similar to the 'Blog-a-Thon' that's going on this
        Saturday (www.blogathon.org) ?

        It would be people sponsor podcasters to podcast once per hour for a
        full day - for any length, and the sponsor money would all go to
        charity...

        How about it? Maybe we can start this up and have more podcasters podcasting!

        ;)

        -Les

        Zaldor's World
        http://feeds.feedburner.com/zaldorsworld
        http://www.zaldor.com
      • Pat Cook
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2005
          Hi everyone:

          At 10:53 PM 8/1/2005, you wrote:
          >Surprised no one has brought this up - but how about a
          >'PodCast-a-Thon' similar to the 'Blog-a-Thon' that's going on this
          >Saturday (www.blogathon.org) ?
          >
          >It would be people sponsor podcasters to podcast once per hour for a
          >full day - for any length, and the sponsor money would all go to
          >charity...
          >
          >How about it? Maybe we can start this up and have more podcasters podcasting!

          It wouldn't work because of one (maybe two) things Les.....

          A). Disk space (Who do you know has enough disk space for a 24 hour podcast?)
          B). Data Transfer Limits (Even professional web hosts have their
          limits. No profession host I know is going to let someone create a
          24 hour podcast, or even 24 one-hour podcasts which is/are downloaded
          by the masses - even if it is for charity).

          Even if you used low bitrates and small filesizes, it still wouldn't work.

          For these reasons (and probably others as well), we'd have to take a
          different approach (like a centrally located, professionally hosted
          site where EVERYONE could upload their podcasts to a.k.a
          KYOURadio.com or the PodcastOutlaws Network). But even then, the
          bitrates and sampling rates would have to be low and the filesizes
          would have to be smaller in order to accomondate the masses that
          would be subscribing and downloading.

          It'd work if it was a regular podcast similar to what PodcastOutlaws
          puts out, but not something like what you're talking about.

          But then again, that's just MY opinion. :-)

          Cheers for now everyone :-)

          Pat Cook
          patspodcast@... (FEEDBACK EMAIL)
          Denver, Colorado
          PAT'S PODCAST PAGE - http://patspodcast.blogspot.com/
          PAT'S PODCAST RSS FEED - http://feeds.feedburner.com/PatsPodcast
          PAT'S PODCAST & VIDEO BLOG MESSAGE BOARD - http://patspodcast.proboards36.com/
          SKYPE ME @ patspodcast

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2, 2005
            On 8/2/05, Pat Cook <pchamster@...> wrote:

            > It wouldn't work because of one (maybe two) things Les.....
            >
            > A). Disk space (Who do you know has enough disk space for a 24 hour podcast?)
            > B). Data Transfer Limits (Even professional web hosts have their
            > limits. No profession host I know is going to let someone create a
            > 24 hour podcast, or even 24 one-hour podcasts which is/are downloaded
            > by the masses - even if it is for charity).

            I think you're missing the idea here, Pat. There were no guidelines
            on length. It isn't 24 hours of straight recording; it could be 24
            ten-minute podcasts.

            That said, I don't think it's a great idea either, because very few
            podcasts have listeners dedicated enough to want to listen to that
            sort of gimmick. Blog posts aren't such a big deal; it only takes a
            minute to skim even a long one. Podcasts take real time to listen to,
            and if you set a goal (even for a one-day charity stunt) of simply
            pumping out material, you'd have to be *really* good to keep your
            listeners' interest through all of it.

            ESCAPE POD - the SF podcast magazine
            http://escape.extraneous.org
          • paul
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 2, 2005
              --- Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:
              > That said, I don't think it's a great idea either,
              > because very few
              > podcasts have listeners dedicated enough to want to
              > listen to that
              > sort of gimmick. Blog posts aren't such a big deal;
              > it only takes a
              > minute to skim even a long one. Podcasts take real
              > time to listen to,
              > and if you set a goal (even for a one-day charity
              > stunt) of simply
              > pumping out material, you'd have to be *really* good
              > to keep your
              > listeners' interest through all of it.

              And really, how many ventriliquist and tap dancing
              podcasters are out there. We do have a comedian from
              NLO, but it would be hard to assemble the type of
              talent needed to make a podcastathon. Any plate
              spinning podcasters out there?
              ;)

              Paul Puri
              Unsigned Podcast Network

              Skype:unsignedpodcast
              The site: http://www.unsignedpodcast.com/
              The blog: http://unsignedpodcast.blogspot.com/
              The feed: http://www.unsignedpodcast.com/podcast.php
              The store: http://www.cafepress.com/unsignedpodcast

              Promotion without shame.
              Podcasting Announcements
            • Pat Cook
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 2, 2005
                Hi everyone:

                At 11:40 AM 8/2/2005, you wrote:
                >--- Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:
                > > That said, I don't think it's a great idea either,
                > > because very few
                > > podcasts have listeners dedicated enough to want to
                > > listen to that
                > > sort of gimmick. Blog posts aren't such a big deal;
                > > it only takes a
                > > minute to skim even a long one. Podcasts take real
                > > time to listen to,
                > > and if you set a goal (even for a one-day charity
                > > stunt) of simply
                > > pumping out material, you'd have to be *really* good
                > > to keep your
                > > listeners' interest through all of it.
                >
                >And really, how many ventriliquist and tap dancing
                >podcasters are out there. We do have a comedian from
                >NLO, but it would be hard to assemble the type of
                >talent needed to make a podcastathon. Any plate
                >spinning podcasters out there?
                >;)

                And let's also not forget that podcasting, unlike streaming media, is
                still considered a largely UNPROVEN technology when it comes to
                influencing the social culture of today's society. Basically put,
                the term 'podcast' is still not exactly a "household name" whereas
                "blog" (And to be even more brutal, streaming media doesn't have much
                influence either).

                True a podcast is basically an audio blog, but when people think of
                blogs and blogging, people think in terms of someone putting thoughts
                and words into text. Not audio. When people (at least those of us
                who are familiar with it) think of podcasting, we think of someone
                creating a radio-style show for the iPod. Not exactly the "Behind
                the scenes" and "Gossipy" reputation that text blogs tend to have.

                As I said before, the original idea wouldn't work for all the reasons
                previously stated. But it doesn't neccessarily mean that something
                *similar* to it can't be done though. :-)

                Cheers for now :-)