Re: [podcasters] iTunes truncating show notes

  • Ryan Ozawa

      On 7/1/05, Tim Elliott <twelliott@...> wrote:
      > OK, so I just put a new show up on my feed, being really careful in my
      > post to be iTunes friendly and it cuts the show notes off.

      Check your feed directly -- are your show notes cut off in your RSS as
      well?

      If your RSS is "full post," then something did go wrong at the iTunes/iPod
      end. It might be encoding or HTML (I think iTunes wants all HTML
      stripped). If your RSS is truncated itself (i.e. the <description> and
      <itunes:summary> fields both show only the first {x} characters of each
      entry), you need to adjust your RSS generator. I think the default for
      Movable Type or WordPress might be to generate excerpts, not full text.

      - - -
      Ryan
      HawaiiUP - Podcasting in paradise.
      http://www.hawaiiup.com

    • graydancing
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2005
        • Tim Elliott
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1, 2005
            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Ryan Ozawa <ryanozawa@g...> wrote:

            > On 7/1/05, graydancing <graydancing@y...> wrote:
            > > I'd check the HTML first. I had some shows for a client showing
            > > weird descriptions until I took out the links she'd put in the
            > > descriptions--then they showed up fine.
            >
            > I looked at the RSS feeds at your Winecast.net site, Tim. There is a
            > _lot_ of HTML within the <description> and <content:encoded> tags for
            > your MP3 feed -- whereas your WMA and AAC feeds seem to have HTML
            > stripped (but don't appear to be iTunes tweaked). With image tags,
            > ASCII codes for symbols, and other stuff in there, I can see how some
            > aggregators -- not just iTunes/iPod -- might choke on it.

            Thanks for checking them out, Ryan. More tweaking to do over the
            weekend. Has someone already updated dircaster to add the itunes tags?
            --
            Tim Elliott
            Winecast
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 1, 2005
              > I looked at the RSS feeds at your Winecast.net site, Tim. There is a
              > _lot_ of HTML within the and tags for
              > your MP3 feed -- whereas your WMA and AAC feeds seem to have HTML
              > stripped (but don't appear to be iTunes tweaked). With image tags,
              > ASCII codes for symbols, and other stuff in there, I can see how some
              > aggregators -- not just iTunes/iPod -- might choke on it.

              Its not just iTunes. IE cannot even parse this.

              Lance
              Primetime Podcast Receiver
              http://www.primetimepodcast.com

            • Tim Elliott
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 1, 2005
                --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, lancer <lancer@p...> wrote:
                > Its not just iTunes. IE cannot even parse this.

                That's what I get for still running WordPress 1.2.x; a CMS upgrade
                will be scheduled for the weekend... Firefox parses it fine, but it
                does not validate. Looks like it's back to the old feed until I'm on
                WP 1.5; it's good to be a podcaster this week :-)
                --
                Tim Elliott
                Winecast
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 1, 2005
                  Be sure to validate that one, too. There was a bug in the early wp
                  1.5release, but I think it was fixed.

                  On 7/1/05, Tim Elliott <twelliott@...> wrote:

                  > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, lancer <lancer@p...> wrote:
                  > > Its not just iTunes. IE cannot even parse this.
                  >

                  > That's what I get for still running WordPress 1.2.x; a CMS upgrade
                  > will be scheduled for the weekend... Firefox parses it fine, but it
                  > does not validate. Looks like it's back to the old feed until I'm on
                  > WP 1.5; it's good to be a podcaster this week :-)
                  > --
                  > Tim Elliott
                  > Winecast

                  Reed Porter