Re: Add Feed to iTunes ... How Long???

  • Amy Bellinger
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1, 2005
      > Something tells me there is politics afoot.

      I hear the Black Helicopters coming.

      Shoot, who knows. Here's a funny thing though. My podcast is not
      listed yet either, but I've seen a traffic increase since Wednesday
      anyway. Coincidence? iTunes is affecting the overall popularity of
      podcasts already? Could that be?

      Amy
      http://whosaid.org
    • Chuck Tomasi
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2005
        Oh I'm certain even the non-listed podcasts will see increased traffic.
        Being in the backwaters means you'll still feel the effects of a
        flood.

        Think about the cross-pollination that has been going on for months.
        Now add more people in there and those old links and promos are still
        at work. If popular, listed site X gets 1000 new listeners and you're
        mentioned in there somewhere (podcast, blog, or little 80x15 badge on
        the side of their web page), you'll get more hits even if you're not
        listed in iTunes.

        A lot of people, including some that are not listed yet, have been
        putting a special "Welcome all new listeners from iTunes..." and even
        doing a quick bio. Great idea... you don't know if your last show will
        be the first one they hear!

        On Jul 1, 2005, at 7:41 AM, Amy Bellinger wrote:

        > >  Something tells me there is politics afoot.
        >
        > I hear the Black Helicopters coming.
        >
        > Shoot, who knows. Here's a funny thing though. My podcast is not
        > listed yet either, but I've seen a traffic increase since Wednesday
        > anyway. Coincidence? iTunes is affecting the overall popularity of
        > podcasts already? Could that be?
        >
        > Amy
        > http://whosaid.org
        >

        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >
        > ▪  Visit your group "podcasters" on the web.

        > Service.

      • Russell S. Holliman
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 1, 2005
          I don't think it's politics. I believe it to be incompetence. Whomever
          was responsible for the implementation of podcasting/iTunes really
          dropped the ball. No clue how to do it, now idea what to expect. Does
          Apple even employ project managers and engineers?

          Rarely am I happy to see major software or service project hit the
          street early, as it usually signifies that those responsible did a
          half-assed job.

          On 7/1/05, Chuck Tomasi <chuck@...> wrote:

          > Get in line and join the club. We're all still waiting. 72 hours and
          > counting... Something tells me there is politics afoot. I wouldn't be
          > surprised if our manual adds don't show up for a week or two to give
          > certain (Curry related) shows preferential treatment. Do I sound
          > bitter? You bet. Is there anything I can do? no. It affected me day
          > 1 and 2, now I have a life to get on with. Let them do what they do
          > and I'll do what I do. It doesn't mean I have to like it.
          >
          > > Or, another question someone could possibly answer: how long did it
          > > take
          > > for your manually added feed to be included?

        • Nicole Simon
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 3, 2005
            "Russell S. Holliman" <treocast@...> wrote:
            >I don't think it's politics. I believe it to be incompetence. Whomever
            >was responsible for the implementation of podcasting/iTunes really
            >dropped the ball. No clue how to do it, now idea what to expect. Does
            >Apple even employ project managers and engineers?

            100% agree.

            While nearly everybody raves about the brilliant implementation, I
            disagree. If this would be a first shot from a no one for software, I would
            maybe rave also. When MacDonalds started to server cafe latte in Germany,
            made by an automat but okay, this was a big deal and really great.

            But as Apple does not describe themself as a fast food restaurant but a at
            least 3 star restaurant, the customer expectations on a standard a quite
            higher. If a restaurant like this adds a cafe latte from an automat to it's
            list of servings, this is to be viewed differently, it is an insult for the
            customers. In such a restaurant, I expect to be a high class variety of
            coffee servings, top notch service and delivery.

            I don't see how one can argue, this is a great first try from Apple - a
            company of that size, of that experience in developping solutions, a
            company in claiming so many things _has_ to deliver a better presentation
            than that if being compared to their other products and standards.

            Nicole

            --
            http://sushiradio.com - the delicious tidbit for your ears
            Latest podcast entry: Cocktail Gokiba

            http://useful-sounds.de/ No. 34: how podcasting made a conference really great
          • paul
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 3, 2005
              --- Nicole Simon <nisi@...> wrote:
              > I don't see how one can argue, this is a great first
              > try from Apple - a
              > company of that size, of that experience in
              > developping solutions, a
              > company in claiming so many things _has_ to deliver
              > a better presentation
              > than that if being compared to their other products
              > and standards.

              I like your analogy Nicole. I too expected something
              different from Apple. I think they really dropped the
              ball on this one. Maybe they rushed to be first, I
              don't know. But so far, the results are extremely
              lackluster. I havn't even bothered with them. Maybe
              I'm taking a wait and see position, but I don't think
              they thought this one through enough. Was anyone in
              the podcasting community consulted for this endevour?
              By the look of things, I don't think a lot of research
              went into this. I think they jumped the gun. Maybe
              it's just me.

              Paul Puri
              Unsigned Podcast Network
              The site: http://www.unsignedpodcast.com/
              The blog: http://unsignedpodcast.blogspot.com/
              The feed: http://www.unsignedpodcast.com/podcast.php

              Promotion without shame.
              Podcasting Announcements
            • Geoff Taylor
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 3, 2005

                I don't think it's too bad. It's "good enough" for a lot of folks. It's
                worth remembering that the folks on this list are "the experts"(!), and most
                people that are trying out the podcasting features in iTunes will never have
                seen anything podcast-y before. As an introductory tool, it's not that bad.
                It's a lot simpler than some of the clients out there...

                It's not enough for the "expert user" though, but I don't think they're
                interested in that market at all. I think they're happy enough to provide
                the client for the 95% at the low end than try to grab 100%.

                It's very much a Microsoft approach, now that I think about it. And since
                we know it usually takes MS 3 releases to get it right, we can expect to see
                improvements in the client over time.

                Geoff

                --
                http://www.allpodcasts.com/
                All Podcasts, indexed and searchable.
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 3, 2005
                  paul <prp6040@...> wrote:
                  >they thought this one through enough. Was anyone in
                  >the podcasting community consulted for this endevour?

                  Other than most, I don't see the need to involve the community - it's a
                  nice gesture but usually you don't get anything done if you do. ;o)

                  But surely they should have involved consultants which know what to to and
                  who are in touch with the reality and needs and expectations of the szene.

                  Talking to Adam Curry is most likely not the ideal person to discuss
                  technical issues than name spaces. It also does not need to be Dave Winer
                  who has a clear agenda what is good or not.

                  And I don't expect them to just do what we want - they are a company, they
                  have their own agenda and a right to do so. As most of you are probably
                  aware, I am no lover of Apple products ;) but that is not why I am mainly
                  bashing them. Even if I would like them, I would expect different
                  behaviour. Just to name a few:

                  - they must have been aware of the fact (or they lawyers must have told
                  them) that there will be a problem in using the itunes related xlns. To do
                  so nonetheless shows they are not a company of this century.

                  - Adding some namespace tags was about to happen, and especially the
                  category tag is one which can not be solved otherwise - the itunes
                  categories are different from what most of us have.

                  - Involving the community in order to make them ready which means in this
                  case: Set out a proper description, published in a way that people can take
                  notice and _prepare_ for it.

                  - release a documentation on how the directory works and what it's
                  principles are, what the spider is called, how often it is updated etc.

                  - gather feedback and react on it.

                  Plus overall: Present that extra bit which really surprises everyone and
                  make it wow.

                  It is not that complicated to do stuff right, it is much harder to screw up
                  this bad.

                  A directory which is not updated at least once a day is such a poor
                  presentation of the companies possibilites. This is not Jack and Joe in the
                  garage, but Apple.

                  Everybody is gloating about the success - I have to say: According to how
                  bad they made the software, imagine how successfull it could have been, if
                  implementet properly?

                  The _only_ thing so far which I can _really_ appreaciate: The lowest
                  chooseable setting for checking rss feeds is one hour, the default setting
                  is once a day.

                  (I have not checked if they do a proper 304)

                  Nicole

                  --
                  http://sushiradio.com - the delicious tidbit for your ears
                  Latest podcast entry: Cocktail Gokiba

                  http://useful-sounds.de/ No. 34: how podcasting made a conference really great
                • RC
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 3, 2005
                    How do you get to Apple to tell them of the unauthorized content on Itunes??
                    Then How would you get the $$$ owed or owed from that point on? Bands are going to start complaining like Metalica did with the p2p!!!

                    rc

                    "Russell S. Holliman" <treocast@...> wrote:
                    >I don't think it's politics. I believe it to be incompetence. Whomever
                    >was responsible for the implementation of podcasting/iTunes really
                    >dropped the ball. No clue how to do it, now idea what to expect. Does
                    >Apple even employ project managers and engineers?

                    100% agree.

                    While nearly everybody raves about the brilliant implementation, I
                    disagree. If this would be a first shot from a no one for software, I would
                    maybe rave also. When MacDonalds started to server cafe latte in Germany,
                    made by an automat but okay, this was a big deal and really great.

                    But as Apple does not describe themself as a fast food restaurant but a at
                    least 3 star restaurant, the customer expectations on a standard a quite
                    higher. If a restaurant like this adds a cafe latte from an automat to it's
                    list of servings, this is to be viewed differently, it is an insult for the
                    customers. In such a restaurant, I expect to be a high class variety of
                    coffee servings, top notch service and delivery.

                    I don't see how one can argue, this is a great first try from Apple - a
                    company of that size, of that experience in developping solutions, a
                    company in claiming so many things _has_ to deliver a better presentation
                    than that if being compared to their other products and standards.

                    Nicole

                    --
                    http://sushiradio.com - the delicious tidbit for your ears
                    Latest podcast entry: Cocktail Gokiba

                    http://useful-sounds.de/ No. 34: how podcasting made a conference really great

                  • Luc Saint-Elie
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 5, 2005
                      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Nicole Simon <nisi@g...> wrote:

                      > - they must have been aware of the fact (or they lawyers must have told
                      > them) that there will be a problem in using the itunes related xlns.
                      To do
                      > so nonetheless shows they are not a company of this century.

                      Hello,

                      I just read a dave Winer message about that and I don't get the point
                      (it's not ironic, I really don't get it)

                      My feed is under Creative Commons licence and CC uses its own name space
                      xmlns:creativeCommons="http://backend.userland.com/creativeCommonsRssModule"

                      and

                      <creativeCommons:license>http://www.creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0</creativeCommons:license>

                      Why is it a problem if it's Apple who do that and not a problem if it
                      is Creative Commons ???

                      Luc
                    • Jake Ludington
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 5, 2005
                        > <creativeCommons:license>http://www.creativecommons.org/licenses/by-
                        > nd/2.0</creativeCommons:license>
                        >
                        > Why is it a problem if it's Apple who do that and not a problem if it
                        > is Creative Commons ???

                        Creative Commons added something to RSS that it didn't previously have. In
                        other words, they added value to RSS. If you compare most of Apple's tags to
                        the RSS 2.0 spec, they are almost completely redundant.

                        Jake Ludington

                        http://www.mediablab.com
                        http://www.podcastingstarterkit.com