Add Feed to iTunes ... How Long???

  • Matthew Wayne Selznick
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1, 2005
      Okay, I almost hate to add to the iTunes threads... but!

      I submitted my podcast on Tuesday... it's Friday now, and still no add!
      Have I failed some sort of test???? I don't play licensed music,
      everything is by permission and non-RIAA, I produce regular shows once a
      week for the past 35+ weeks... the sound quality is reasonably
      consistent and balanced...

      What's going on???

      Or, another question someone could possibly answer: how long did it take
      for your manually added feed to be included?

      Thanks,

      --
      Matthew Wayne Selznick
      MWS Media
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2005
        I did some hunting around tonight as I have about a dozen podcasters that
        want me to help them find out why they are not being added to the iTunes
        directory list. and I have a idea but need a bigger sampling, if your not in
        the iTunes list please send me via private e-mail your show name, url and
        rss feed I need a larger sampling to prove something..

        Todd..
      • Chuck Tomasi
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 1, 2005

          Get in line and join the club. We're all still waiting. 72 hours and
          counting... Something tells me there is politics afoot. I wouldn't be
          surprised if our manual adds don't show up for a week or two to give
          certain (Curry related) shows preferential treatment. Do I sound
          bitter? You bet. Is there anything I can do? no. It affected me day
          1 and 2, now I have a life to get on with. Let them do what they do
          and I'll do what I do. It doesn't mean I have to like it.

          > Or, another question someone could possibly answer: how long did it
          > take
          > for your manually added feed to be included?
        • Amy Bellinger
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 1, 2005
            > Something tells me there is politics afoot.

            I hear the Black Helicopters coming.

            Shoot, who knows. Here's a funny thing though. My podcast is not
            listed yet either, but I've seen a traffic increase since Wednesday
            anyway. Coincidence? iTunes is affecting the overall popularity of
            podcasts already? Could that be?

            Amy
            http://whosaid.org
          • Chuck Tomasi
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 1, 2005
              Oh I'm certain even the non-listed podcasts will see increased traffic.
              Being in the backwaters means you'll still feel the effects of a
              flood.

              Think about the cross-pollination that has been going on for months.
              Now add more people in there and those old links and promos are still
              at work. If popular, listed site X gets 1000 new listeners and you're
              mentioned in there somewhere (podcast, blog, or little 80x15 badge on
              the side of their web page), you'll get more hits even if you're not
              listed in iTunes.

              A lot of people, including some that are not listed yet, have been
              putting a special "Welcome all new listeners from iTunes..." and even
              doing a quick bio. Great idea... you don't know if your last show will
              be the first one they hear!

              On Jul 1, 2005, at 7:41 AM, Amy Bellinger wrote:

              > >  Something tells me there is politics afoot.
              >
              > I hear the Black Helicopters coming.
              >
              > Shoot, who knows. Here's a funny thing though. My podcast is not
              > listed yet either, but I've seen a traffic increase since Wednesday
              > anyway. Coincidence? iTunes is affecting the overall popularity of
              > podcasts already? Could that be?
              >
              > Amy
              > http://whosaid.org
              >

              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
              >
              > ▪  Visit your group "podcasters" on the web.

              > Service.

            • Russell S. Holliman
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 1, 2005
                I don't think it's politics. I believe it to be incompetence. Whomever
                was responsible for the implementation of podcasting/iTunes really
                dropped the ball. No clue how to do it, now idea what to expect. Does
                Apple even employ project managers and engineers?

                Rarely am I happy to see major software or service project hit the
                street early, as it usually signifies that those responsible did a
                half-assed job.

                On 7/1/05, Chuck Tomasi <chuck@...> wrote:

                > Get in line and join the club. We're all still waiting. 72 hours and
                > counting... Something tells me there is politics afoot. I wouldn't be
                > surprised if our manual adds don't show up for a week or two to give
                > certain (Curry related) shows preferential treatment. Do I sound
                > bitter? You bet. Is there anything I can do? no. It affected me day
                > 1 and 2, now I have a life to get on with. Let them do what they do
                > and I'll do what I do. It doesn't mean I have to like it.
                >
                > > Or, another question someone could possibly answer: how long did it
                > > take
                > > for your manually added feed to be included?

              • Nicole Simon
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 3, 2005
                  "Russell S. Holliman" <treocast@...> wrote:
                  >I don't think it's politics. I believe it to be incompetence. Whomever
                  >was responsible for the implementation of podcasting/iTunes really
                  >dropped the ball. No clue how to do it, now idea what to expect. Does
                  >Apple even employ project managers and engineers?

                  100% agree.

                  While nearly everybody raves about the brilliant implementation, I
                  disagree. If this would be a first shot from a no one for software, I would
                  maybe rave also. When MacDonalds started to server cafe latte in Germany,
                  made by an automat but okay, this was a big deal and really great.

                  But as Apple does not describe themself as a fast food restaurant but a at
                  least 3 star restaurant, the customer expectations on a standard a quite
                  higher. If a restaurant like this adds a cafe latte from an automat to it's
                  list of servings, this is to be viewed differently, it is an insult for the
                  customers. In such a restaurant, I expect to be a high class variety of
                  coffee servings, top notch service and delivery.

                  I don't see how one can argue, this is a great first try from Apple - a
                  company of that size, of that experience in developping solutions, a
                  company in claiming so many things _has_ to deliver a better presentation
                  than that if being compared to their other products and standards.

                  Nicole

                  --
                  http://sushiradio.com - the delicious tidbit for your ears
                  Latest podcast entry: Cocktail Gokiba

                  http://useful-sounds.de/ No. 34: how podcasting made a conference really great
                • paul
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 3, 2005
                    --- Nicole Simon <nisi@...> wrote:
                    > I don't see how one can argue, this is a great first
                    > try from Apple - a
                    > company of that size, of that experience in
                    > developping solutions, a
                    > company in claiming so many things _has_ to deliver
                    > a better presentation
                    > than that if being compared to their other products
                    > and standards.

                    I like your analogy Nicole. I too expected something
                    different from Apple. I think they really dropped the
                    ball on this one. Maybe they rushed to be first, I
                    don't know. But so far, the results are extremely
                    lackluster. I havn't even bothered with them. Maybe
                    I'm taking a wait and see position, but I don't think
                    they thought this one through enough. Was anyone in
                    the podcasting community consulted for this endevour?
                    By the look of things, I don't think a lot of research
                    went into this. I think they jumped the gun. Maybe
                    it's just me.

                    Paul Puri
                    Unsigned Podcast Network
                    The site: http://www.unsignedpodcast.com/
                    The blog: http://unsignedpodcast.blogspot.com/
                    The feed: http://www.unsignedpodcast.com/podcast.php

                    Promotion without shame.
                    Podcasting Announcements
                  • Geoff Taylor
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 3, 2005

                      I don't think it's too bad. It's "good enough" for a lot of folks. It's
                      worth remembering that the folks on this list are "the experts"(!), and most
                      people that are trying out the podcasting features in iTunes will never have
                      seen anything podcast-y before. As an introductory tool, it's not that bad.
                      It's a lot simpler than some of the clients out there...

                      It's not enough for the "expert user" though, but I don't think they're
                      interested in that market at all. I think they're happy enough to provide
                      the client for the 95% at the low end than try to grab 100%.

                      It's very much a Microsoft approach, now that I think about it. And since
                      we know it usually takes MS 3 releases to get it right, we can expect to see
                      improvements in the client over time.

                      Geoff

                      --
                      http://www.allpodcasts.com/
                      All Podcasts, indexed and searchable.
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 3, 2005
                        paul <prp6040@...> wrote:
                        >they thought this one through enough. Was anyone in
                        >the podcasting community consulted for this endevour?

                        Other than most, I don't see the need to involve the community - it's a
                        nice gesture but usually you don't get anything done if you do. ;o)

                        But surely they should have involved consultants which know what to to and
                        who are in touch with the reality and needs and expectations of the szene.

                        Talking to Adam Curry is most likely not the ideal person to discuss
                        technical issues than name spaces. It also does not need to be Dave Winer
                        who has a clear agenda what is good or not.

                        And I don't expect them to just do what we want - they are a company, they
                        have their own agenda and a right to do so. As most of you are probably
                        aware, I am no lover of Apple products ;) but that is not why I am mainly
                        bashing them. Even if I would like them, I would expect different
                        behaviour. Just to name a few:

                        - they must have been aware of the fact (or they lawyers must have told
                        them) that there will be a problem in using the itunes related xlns. To do
                        so nonetheless shows they are not a company of this century.

                        - Adding some namespace tags was about to happen, and especially the
                        category tag is one which can not be solved otherwise - the itunes
                        categories are different from what most of us have.

                        - Involving the community in order to make them ready which means in this
                        case: Set out a proper description, published in a way that people can take
                        notice and _prepare_ for it.

                        - release a documentation on how the directory works and what it's
                        principles are, what the spider is called, how often it is updated etc.

                        - gather feedback and react on it.

                        Plus overall: Present that extra bit which really surprises everyone and
                        make it wow.

                        It is not that complicated to do stuff right, it is much harder to screw up
                        this bad.

                        A directory which is not updated at least once a day is such a poor
                        presentation of the companies possibilites. This is not Jack and Joe in the
                        garage, but Apple.

                        Everybody is gloating about the success - I have to say: According to how
                        bad they made the software, imagine how successfull it could have been, if
                        implementet properly?

                        The _only_ thing so far which I can _really_ appreaciate: The lowest
                        chooseable setting for checking rss feeds is one hour, the default setting
                        is once a day.

                        (I have not checked if they do a proper 304)

                        Nicole

                        --
                        http://sushiradio.com - the delicious tidbit for your ears
                        Latest podcast entry: Cocktail Gokiba

                        http://useful-sounds.de/ No. 34: how podcasting made a conference really great
                      • RC
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 3, 2005
                          How do you get to Apple to tell them of the unauthorized content on Itunes??
                          Then How would you get the $$$ owed or owed from that point on? Bands are going to start complaining like Metalica did with the p2p!!!

                          rc

                          "Russell S. Holliman" <treocast@...> wrote:
                          >I don't think it's politics. I believe it to be incompetence. Whomever
                          >was responsible for the implementation of podcasting/iTunes really
                          >dropped the ball. No clue how to do it, now idea what to expect. Does
                          >Apple even employ project managers and engineers?

                          100% agree.

                          While nearly everybody raves about the brilliant implementation, I
                          disagree. If this would be a first shot from a no one for software, I would
                          maybe rave also. When MacDonalds started to server cafe latte in Germany,
                          made by an automat but okay, this was a big deal and really great.

                          But as Apple does not describe themself as a fast food restaurant but a at
                          least 3 star restaurant, the customer expectations on a standard a quite
                          higher. If a restaurant like this adds a cafe latte from an automat to it's
                          list of servings, this is to be viewed differently, it is an insult for the
                          customers. In such a restaurant, I expect to be a high class variety of
                          coffee servings, top notch service and delivery.

                          I don't see how one can argue, this is a great first try from Apple - a
                          company of that size, of that experience in developping solutions, a
                          company in claiming so many things _has_ to deliver a better presentation
                          than that if being compared to their other products and standards.

                          Nicole

                          --
                          http://sushiradio.com - the delicious tidbit for your ears
                          Latest podcast entry: Cocktail Gokiba

                          http://useful-sounds.de/ No. 34: how podcasting made a conference really great

                        • Luc Saint-Elie
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 5, 2005
                            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Nicole Simon <nisi@g...> wrote:

                            > - they must have been aware of the fact (or they lawyers must have told
                            > them) that there will be a problem in using the itunes related xlns.
                            To do
                            > so nonetheless shows they are not a company of this century.

                            Hello,

                            I just read a dave Winer message about that and I don't get the point
                            (it's not ironic, I really don't get it)

                            My feed is under Creative Commons licence and CC uses its own name space
                            xmlns:creativeCommons="http://backend.userland.com/creativeCommonsRssModule"

                            and

                            <creativeCommons:license>http://www.creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0</creativeCommons:license>

                            Why is it a problem if it's Apple who do that and not a problem if it
                            is Creative Commons ???

                            Luc
                          • Jake Ludington
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 5, 2005
                              > <creativeCommons:license>http://www.creativecommons.org/licenses/by-
                              > nd/2.0</creativeCommons:license>
                              >
                              > Why is it a problem if it's Apple who do that and not a problem if it
                              > is Creative Commons ???

                              Creative Commons added something to RSS that it didn't previously have. In
                              other words, they added value to RSS. If you compare most of Apple's tags to
                              the RSS 2.0 spec, they are almost completely redundant.

                              Jake Ludington

                              http://www.mediablab.com
                              http://www.podcastingstarterkit.com