Re: [podcasters] iTunes feeds for WordPress users...

  • Kevin Devin
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2005
      Hey Garrick,

      The greatest change is within the item element -- the itunes:summary tag.
      What I had in there before was the complete blog post entry (or show notes)
      from the blog post. I believe you had replaced that with the excerpt. What
      I've replaced mine with now is the blog post, but stripped of all HTML as
      per Apple's "spec".

      Nothing earth-shatterig.

      -KHD

      On 6/30/05, Garrick VanBuren <garrick.vanburen@...> wrote:

      > Kevin,
      >
      > I skimmed it quick and didn't see any major changes from the originial
      > (outside of the CC license omission). If I'm overlooking something,
      > let me know and I'll incorporate in to the version I'm using. In the
      > latest version I've been working on at http://garrickvanburen.com/ ,
      > it takes the post's categories and drops them into the itunes:keyword
      > tag.
      >
      > For my show, that's far more useful a classfication than the rigid
      > directory taxonomy.
      >
      > --
      > Garrick.
      >
      > On 6/30/05, Kevin Devin <kevin.devin@...> wrote:
      > > I made a few adjustments to what I posted the other day. I probably
      > should
      > > have implemented Garrick's changes as well as it would have made it
      > easier
      > > for all. I'll leave that as an exercise for you fellow webmasters. :-)
      > >
      > > I've yanked out the Creative Commons data as it was throwing errors with
      > > feedvalidator, but I also changed the data for the <itunes:summary> tag
      > so
      > > that it does NOT stuff any HTML within this set of tags. (as per Apple's
      > > super cool spec) ;-)
      > >
      > > http://kevindevin.com/iTunes-wp-rss2.php.txt
      > >
      > > Many thanks to Kreg Stepp over at http://www.spyndle.com for helping me
      > out
      > > with this!
      > >
      > > Enjoy!
      > >
      > > --
      > > Kevin H. Devin
      > > In the Trenches podcast
      > > http://kevindevin.com

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links
      > >

      > --
      > Garrick Van Buren
      > garrick.vanburen@...
      > ph: 612 325 9110
      > First Crack Podcast
      > http://firstcrackpodcast.com/
      >
      > gFeed - all my writing in one place
      > http://garrickvanburen.com/gfeed/
      >
      > PodcastMN - The Sound of Minnesota
      > http://podcastmn.com/
      >
      > Garrick's Podcast Picks
      > http://gigadial.com/public/station/9454

      Kevin H. Devin
      In the Trenches podcast
      http://kevindevin.com

    • Garrick VanBuren
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2005
        Thanks Kevin. I've updated my version also.

        --
        Garrick.

      • timbearcub
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 3, 2005
          One thing Garrick - I implemented your code on my site:

          http://www.mutantpop.net/radioclash/rssfeed.php

          And went to Feedvalidator and it didn't like the pubDate - I've not
          seen anyone require pubDate? I took it out - is it required for anything?

          Also the itunes:summaries weren't showing up at all - something to do
          with the way I've setup my posts I think. Rather than the_content_rss
          I used the_excerpt_rss() just fine but worried about those special
          characters for both the_content_rss and the_excerpt_rss - it doesn't
          strip special characters out - only the HTML?

          I thought that enclosing them in a !CDATA field but I thought that
          would probably be a bad idea...

          It still validates OK tho? The 'clear text' spec of Apple is really
          unclear...

          Confused,

          Tim

          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Garrick VanBuren