Re: [podcasters] Re: More iTunes/Podcast observations

  • Garrick VanBuren
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 30, 2005
      Les,

      Thank you for the reminder that we shouldn't be basing our future on scarcity.

      --
      Garrick.

      On 6/30/05, Les Posen <lesposen@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > > featured
      > > areas.
      >
      > Ok, I see. I think it's about marketing. Let's imagine how many
      > people who would go to the top sellers on podcastalley etc and be
      > totally turned off by the content: uninteresting, too niche, boring
      > presentations, lousy production values, as compared to what they're
      > used to hearing out of their car radios.
      >
      > So Apple takes those which perhaps are more familiar to a naive
      > audience trying to understand the hype about podcasting and lead them
      > to gently experiment with the more "out there" podcasts from rank
      > amateurs who will find their niche audience. I would call it Apple
      > marketing podcasting on our behalf, rather than some malevolent
      > condition of Apple's.
      > >>

      > > I am saying that with if I was in charge of selling content to
      > > people I
      > > would be wondering why Itunes is offering 1 mio downloads for
      > > nothing and
      > > then, if so, why it took them so long to sell the amount of songs
      > > they had
      > > in the last 12 months.
      >
      > Most analysts have been surprised at the rapidity with which the
      > Apple's iTMS has sold as many songs as it has!
      >
      > What was iTMS competing with when it came on the market a year ago?
      > Free downloads courtesy of Kazaa, Morpheous, Grokster, the legacy of
      > Napster, etc. iTMS had to convince that group to part with US0.99c as
      > compared to $0.00.
      >
      > So what is "so long" to you is miraculous to record execs! And a
      > giver of hope!
      >
      > And for podcasters, a million subscriptions in 48 hours is also a
      > hope-giver, IMHO.
      >
      > Sooner or later, the cream will rise to the top, talent will be
      > discovered by the masses (a la the Idol TV series), and people will
      > be prepared to pay for that rare talent which amuses, or educates, or
      > entertains them.
      >
      > The Internet has been a model of "give it away for free, get them
      > hooked, and then introduce a fee" for those who have located what
      > they like. If that is only 10% so be it, it's a business model that
      > will work. It's how shareware has worked all these years, and I see
      > similar models developing for podcasts.
      >
      > Now, a word of warning about which I am preparing a blog entry: Apple
      > is encouraging its users to create and upload podcasts. How many of
      > that million podcast subscriptions will convert into creative types
      > who will now find their voice. The old heads on this list who may
      > falsely believe they have ownership of podcasting through dint of
      > time investment will be in for a rude shock soon enough. Their voices
      > will be drowned out.
      >
      > First spectacular victims: Dawn and Drew unless they head over to
      > satellite. Not because their talent will be any less, but they will
      > be competing with so many others equally as talented if not more so
      > for whom podcasting has just come onto their radar.

      Garrick Van Buren
      garrick.vanburen@...
      ph: 612 325 9110
      First Crack Podcast
      http://firstcrackpodcast.com/

      gFeed - all my writing in one place
      http://garrickvanburen.com/gfeed/

      PodcastMN - The Sound of Minnesota
      http://podcastmn.com/

      Garrick's Podcast Picks
      http://gigadial.com/public/station/9454
    • Daniel Walters
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2005
        I don't know how many of you are using the beta of CastBlaster (I'm just
        messing/playing with it myself). But I find it kinda funny that almost all
        of the info that iTunes asks for, CastBlaster provides for it's meta-data...

        Maybe Adam's doing. Just throwing it out there for the community to reflect
        on...
        ---DW
        --
        Daniel Walters
        www.mylifebytes.com <http://www.mylifebytes.com>

      • Les Posen
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1, 2005
          On 01/07/2005, at 5:11 PM, Daniel Walters wrote:

          > I don't know how many of you are using the beta of CastBlaster (I'm
          > just
          > messing/playing with it myself). But I find it kinda funny that
          > almost all
          > of the info that iTunes asks for, CastBlaster provides for it's
          > meta-data...
          >
          > Maybe Adam's doing. Just throwing it out there for the community to
          > reflect

          Well, since Castblaster is firmly Windows, it may or nor be Adam's
          doing... certainly he amongst others has been pushing the ideas
          behind shownotes, metatags, links etc, which can become part of the
          ID3 mp3 tag or whatever.

          Now until Castblaster is ported to the Mac (if ever), I am going to
          guess that Garageband will be updated to conform more closely to what
          iTunes requires, or Apple will introduce some intermediary
          application, create an Automator script, and iTunes will do the rest.

          I am guessing too that not too far from now, Apple will bring it
          together for its adherents: Garageband, iTunes, .Mac account, iDisk
          server - the one-click option some of us have come to expect from
          Apple. The iLife suite exists - can we expect the iPodcast suite soon?

          Those using Windows will likely have to manually bring together a
          variety of apps from different sources, and develop a workflow from
          there. I haven't played with Castblaster so I'm not too sure how
          complete a solution it is on its own.

          I'm guessing that Apple will bring its own brand of elegance to the
          mix, once the early bugs are worked out from the whole iTunes 4.9
          introduction.

          Les

        • Reed Porter
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 1, 2005
            On 7/1/05, Les Posen <lesposen@...> wrote:

            > On 01/07/2005, at 5:11 PM, Daniel Walters wrote:
            >
            > I haven't played with Castblaster so I'm not too sure how
            > complete a solution it is on its own.

            I seems pretty complete. The Create pane has configurable sound fx,
            playlist, and does a gooed job of finding input sources. The Describe pane
            has all the MP3 metadata covered along with a place to put the shownotes and
            picture. The Publish windows allows you to save to disk and/or publish to
            your server. The Configure tab lets you choose inputs, set sampling rates
            and configure the FTP server.
            I don't know if it allows for files on one server and blog on another
            server, yet.
            Reed