Re: [podcasters] iTunes feeds for WordPress users...

  • Garrick VanBuren
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30 11:19 PM
      Kevin,

      I skimmed it quick and didn't see any major changes from the originial
      (outside of the CC license omission). If I'm overlooking something,
      let me know and I'll incorporate in to the version I'm using. In the
      latest version I've been working on at http://garrickvanburen.com/ ,
      it takes the post's categories and drops them into the itunes:keyword
      tag.

      For my show, that's far more useful a classfication than the rigid
      directory taxonomy.

      --
      Garrick.

      On 6/30/05, Kevin Devin <kevin.devin@...> wrote:
      > I made a few adjustments to what I posted the other day. I probably should
      > have implemented Garrick's changes as well as it would have made it easier
      > for all. I'll leave that as an exercise for you fellow webmasters. :-)
      >
      > I've yanked out the Creative Commons data as it was throwing errors with
      > feedvalidator, but I also changed the data for the <itunes:summary> tag so
      > that it does NOT stuff any HTML within this set of tags. (as per Apple's
      > super cool spec) ;-)
      >
      > http://kevindevin.com/iTunes-wp-rss2.php.txt
      >
      > Many thanks to Kreg Stepp over at http://www.spyndle.com for helping me out
      > with this!
      >
      > Enjoy!
      >
      > --
      > Kevin H. Devin
      > In the Trenches podcast
      > http://kevindevin.com

      Garrick Van Buren
      garrick.vanburen@...
      ph: 612 325 9110
      First Crack Podcast
      http://firstcrackpodcast.com/

      gFeed - all my writing in one place
      http://garrickvanburen.com/gfeed/

      PodcastMN - The Sound of Minnesota
      http://podcastmn.com/

      Garrick's Podcast Picks
      http://gigadial.com/public/station/9454
    • Kevin Devin
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 30 11:34 PM
        Hey Garrick,

        The greatest change is within the item element -- the itunes:summary tag.
        What I had in there before was the complete blog post entry (or show notes)
        from the blog post. I believe you had replaced that with the excerpt. What
        I've replaced mine with now is the blog post, but stripped of all HTML as
        per Apple's "spec".

        Nothing earth-shatterig.

        -KHD

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2005
          Thanks Kevin. I've updated my version also.

          --
          Garrick.

        • timbearcub
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 3, 2005
            One thing Garrick - I implemented your code on my site:

            http://www.mutantpop.net/radioclash/rssfeed.php

            And went to Feedvalidator and it didn't like the pubDate - I've not
            seen anyone require pubDate? I took it out - is it required for anything?

            Also the itunes:summaries weren't showing up at all - something to do
            with the way I've setup my posts I think. Rather than the_content_rss
            I used the_excerpt_rss() just fine but worried about those special
            characters for both the_content_rss and the_excerpt_rss - it doesn't
            strip special characters out - only the HTML?

            I thought that enclosing them in a !CDATA field but I thought that
            would probably be a bad idea...

            It still validates OK tho? The 'clear text' spec of Apple is really
            unclear...

            Confused,

            Tim

            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Garrick VanBuren