iTunes feeds for WordPress users...

  • Kevin Devin
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2005
      I made a few adjustments to what I posted the other day. I probably should
      have implemented Garrick's changes as well as it would have made it easier
      for all. I'll leave that as an exercise for you fellow webmasters. :-)

      I've yanked out the Creative Commons data as it was throwing errors with
      feedvalidator, but I also changed the data for the <itunes:summary> tag so
      that it does NOT stuff any HTML within this set of tags. (as per Apple's
      super cool spec) ;-)

      http://kevindevin.com/iTunes-wp-rss2.php.txt

      Many thanks to Kreg Stepp over at http://www.spyndle.com for helping me out
      with this!

      Enjoy!

      --
      Kevin H. Devin
      In the Trenches podcast

    • Garrick VanBuren
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 30, 2005
        Kevin,

        I skimmed it quick and didn't see any major changes from the originial
        (outside of the CC license omission). If I'm overlooking something,
        let me know and I'll incorporate in to the version I'm using. In the
        latest version I've been working on at http://garrickvanburen.com/ ,
        it takes the post's categories and drops them into the itunes:keyword
        tag.

        For my show, that's far more useful a classfication than the rigid
        directory taxonomy.

        --
        Garrick.

        On 6/30/05, Kevin Devin <kevin.devin@...> wrote:
        > I made a few adjustments to what I posted the other day. I probably should
        > have implemented Garrick's changes as well as it would have made it easier
        > for all. I'll leave that as an exercise for you fellow webmasters. :-)
        >
        > I've yanked out the Creative Commons data as it was throwing errors with
        > feedvalidator, but I also changed the data for the <itunes:summary> tag so
        > that it does NOT stuff any HTML within this set of tags. (as per Apple's
        > super cool spec) ;-)
        >
        > http://kevindevin.com/iTunes-wp-rss2.php.txt
        >
        > Many thanks to Kreg Stepp over at http://www.spyndle.com for helping me out
        > with this!
        >
        > Enjoy!
        >
        > --
        > Kevin H. Devin
        > In the Trenches podcast
        > http://kevindevin.com

        Garrick Van Buren
        garrick.vanburen@...
        ph: 612 325 9110
        First Crack Podcast
        http://firstcrackpodcast.com/

        gFeed - all my writing in one place
        http://garrickvanburen.com/gfeed/

        PodcastMN - The Sound of Minnesota
        http://podcastmn.com/

        Garrick's Podcast Picks
        http://gigadial.com/public/station/9454
      • Kevin Devin
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 30, 2005
          Hey Garrick,

          The greatest change is within the item element -- the itunes:summary tag.
          What I had in there before was the complete blog post entry (or show notes)
          from the blog post. I believe you had replaced that with the excerpt. What
          I've replaced mine with now is the blog post, but stripped of all HTML as
          per Apple's "spec".

          Nothing earth-shatterig.

          -KHD

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 1, 2005
            Thanks Kevin. I've updated my version also.

            --
            Garrick.

          • timbearcub
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 3, 2005
              One thing Garrick - I implemented your code on my site:

              http://www.mutantpop.net/radioclash/rssfeed.php

              And went to Feedvalidator and it didn't like the pubDate - I've not
              seen anyone require pubDate? I took it out - is it required for anything?

              Also the itunes:summaries weren't showing up at all - something to do
              with the way I've setup my posts I think. Rather than the_content_rss
              I used the_excerpt_rss() just fine but worried about those special
              characters for both the_content_rss and the_excerpt_rss - it doesn't
              strip special characters out - only the HTML?

              I thought that enclosing them in a !CDATA field but I thought that
              would probably be a bad idea...

              It still validates OK tho? The 'clear text' spec of Apple is really
              unclear...

              Confused,

              Tim

              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Garrick VanBuren