Re: Validating iTunes Feeds on Apache

  • Emile Bourquin
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2005
      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "this_week_in_science"
      <mclark@f...> wrote:
      > Have any of you had success in validating a feed like the sample
      > provided in the Apple PDF? I can only get mine to validate
      correctly
      > by making an AddContent change to my .htaccess file for RSS - which
      > then means that RSS files won't load properly in a browser (browser
      > tries to download file).
      >
      > Is there a workaround for this on Apache? Something that allows
      > browsers to display the code but still allows the RSS file to be
      read
      > as the correct content type? The way I have it now (text/html)
      allows
      > users to click on the link for the RSS feed and then paste the URL
      > from the browser address bar into their aggregtor and I'd like to
      keep
      > it this way if possible.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Marshall Clark
      > Technical Director
      > This Week in Science
      > http://www.twis.org
      > http://www.twis.org/audio/podcast.rss

      Our feed is being served by Apache, and seems to validate correctly,
      after we put in the iTunes tags. We are using domxml in PHP to create
      our feed on the fly, so some of the intricacies you are facing may
      have been handled by the PHP domxml code for us. Our feed is at
      http://www.portablemediaexpo.com/podcastbros/rss.php and validates
      properly
      (http://feedvalidator.org/check.cgi?url=http://www
      .portablemediaexpo.com/podcastbros/rss.php)

      Using the Firefox web developer plugin, I can see the HTTP headers
      look like this:

      Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 21:00:18 GMT
      Server: Apache
      Accept-Ranges: bytes

      200 OK

      The feed opens properly in a browser, but interestingly, Firefox
      doesn't show the RSS element completely, with the iTunes namespace,
      unless you do a "view source". Internet Explorer opens the feed, and
      shows the whole RSS element right away.

      ex., Firefox shows "<rss version="2.0">", but if you do a "view
      source", or open the feed in IE, it shows the whole "<rss
      xmlns:itunes="http://www.itunes.com/DTDs/Podcast-1.0.dtd"
      version="2.0">"

      Emile Bourquin
      The Podcast Brothers