More iTunes/Podcast observations

  • Rob Usdin
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 30, 2005
      Well, I have to say I like that I can now get podcasts through iTunes. What
      I found most interesting was the "Indie podcasts" section. One thing I
      noticed is that they were all up and running through iTunes on launch day.
      Dawn and Drew, and a few others there are part of the podshow family. But
      what is interesting is that of the ones that were NOT Podshow folks at least
      one has announced they are joining the podshow family - that's the
      Mommycast. So I think the other stuff that is in the "Indie" section is
      actually all going to be announcing they are joining the podshow family.
      Inside Mac Radio, 5 Minutes with Wichita and the Mommycast were all hyped by
      Adam on his show, and Adam even did an interview for the Mommycast.

      This is not to say that I think this is bad for them, but I'd like to see
      some other shows rotated in and out on a regular basis. Hell - I'd liked to
      see more shows rotated on the iTunes main podcast page PERIOD. It's been
      two days and the same stuff is still up front. Spotlight some other indie
      podcasts, and some other public radio ones too!

      --*Rob

    • Kevin Devin
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 30, 2005
        I just don't get this "indie podcaster" BS... WHO THE F*#% started
        podcasting? It sure as hell didn't start at the "professional" level. That
        tag just irritates me. A podcaster is a podcaster. If you're using a paid
        subscription model... perhaps you could tag it as "professional podcaster"
        -- but only from a financial standpoint, it has no bearing on expertise,
        that's for certain.

        So would this mean that bloggers would/should be tagged as "indie
        journalists?"

        Come on Apple... cut out the BS. A duck is a duck is a duck.

        -KHD

        On 6/30/05, Rob Usdin <rob@...> wrote:

        > Well, I have to say I like that I can now get podcasts through iTunes.
        > What
        > I found most interesting was the "Indie podcasts" section. One thing I
        > noticed is that they were all up and running through iTunes on launch day.
        > Dawn and Drew, and a few others there are part of the podshow family. But
        > what is interesting is that of the ones that were NOT Podshow folks at
        > least
        > one has announced they are joining the podshow family - that's the
        > Mommycast. So I think the other stuff that is in the "Indie" section is
        > actually all going to be announcing they are joining the podshow family.
        > Inside Mac Radio, 5 Minutes with Wichita and the Mommycast were all hyped
        > by
        > Adam on his show, and Adam even did an interview for the Mommycast.
        >
        > This is not to say that I think this is bad for them, but I'd like to see
        > some other shows rotated in and out on a regular basis. Hell - I'd liked
        > see more shows rotated on the iTunes main podcast page PERIOD. It's been
        > two days and the same stuff is still up front. Spotlight some other indie
        > podcasts, and some other public radio ones too!
        >
        > --*Rob

        Kevin H. Devin
        In the Trenches podcast
        http://kevindevin.com

      • Tim Elliott
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 30, 2005
          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Devin <kevin.devin@g...> wrote:
          > I just don't get this "indie podcaster" BS... WHO THE F*#% started
          > podcasting? It sure as hell didn't start at the "professional"
          level. That
          > tag just irritates me. A podcaster is a podcaster. If you're using a
          paid
          > subscription model... perhaps you could tag it as "professional
          podcaster"
          > -- but only from a financial standpoint, it has no bearing on
          expertise,
          > that's for certain.
          >
          > So would this mean that bloggers would/should be tagged as "indie
          > journalists?"
          >
          > Come on Apple... cut out the BS. A duck is a duck is a duck.

          It's that way because Apple really doesn't grok the whole podcasting
          thing. They are only using the name to sell more iPods and are trying
          to redefine the term to be more like time-shifted radio and not the
          grass roots audio we have been doing. Even with all the irritating
          edges to this thing, it's still going to be good for us; I think.
          --
          Tim Elliott
          Winecast
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 30, 2005
            <itunes:sarcasm>
            Oh Kevin, so young, so naive. Did you not just graduate from something?

            There are independent ducks and professional ducks. It all depends how
            they tag their RSS (duck) feed.

            Myself, I like to consider myself as an independent parent because I
            don't get paid for that. An independent brother, no money there. And
            I've been an independent son since my youth, but haven't we all.
            </itunes:sarcasm>

            > Come on Apple... cut out the BS. A duck is a duck is a duck.
          • Les Posen
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 30, 2005
              On 01/07/2005, at 6:24 AM, Tim Elliott wrote:

              > It's that way because Apple really doesn't grok the whole podcasting
              > thing. They are only using the name to sell more iPods and are trying
              > to redefine the term to be more like time-shifted radio and not the
              > grass roots audio we have been doing. Even with all the irritating
              > edges to this thing, it's still going to be good for us; I think.

              So the fun begins!

              ... be a sell-out to the Apple Gorilla, and the way it wants to do
              things - or

              Stick to one's guns, work with those who "grok the whole podcasting
              thing", and tell Apple to go take a long walk on a short pier.

              So a little update for y'all <http://www.macmerc.com/news/archives/
              2419>:

              "Apple today announced that in just two days iTunes customers have
              subscribed to more than one million Podcasts from the new iTunes
              Podcast Directory. iTunes 4.9 has most of what users need to
              discover, subscribe, manage and listen to Podcasts built in.

              It is interesting to note Bill Douthett's article at the Wizards or
              Technology website that shows the change in their podcast's stats
              since the release of iTunes 4.9. It seems many of the iTunes users
              came from the Windows side of the world and many were formerly using
              iPodder as their podcatching client."

              Did they mean to say there's been a million podcast downloads, rather
              than a million podcasts exist. (That's what I'd call competition).

              Ok, this is what I grok. If I want the biggest potential audience for
              my work, and acknowledging my intended audience make AOL users look
              like developers, I'm going with Apple's way of doing things, for now.
              I am guessing, and I blogged this earlier, that Apple will shift on
              podcasting depending not on what we say on this list (although it may
              listen to Adam C more than most of us, Dave W. included) but on how
              its current invocation of podcasting succeeds. So far, would you call
              it successful from the consumers' viewpoint?

              Btw, once the dust clears, I imagine we'll start talking about the
              MGM/Grokster Supreme Court decision and its impact on iTunes and
              podcasting...

              Les

            • Dennis A. Amith
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 30, 2005
                On 6/30/05 1:54 PM, "Les Posen" <lesposen@...> wrote:

                > On 01/07/2005, at 6:24 AM, Tim Elliott wrote:
                >>

                >> It's that way because Apple really doesn't grok the whole podcasting
                >> thing. They are only using the name to sell more iPods and are trying
                >> to redefine the term to be more like time-shifted radio and not the
                >> grass roots audio we have been doing. Even with all the irritating
                >> edges to this thing, it's still going to be good for us; I think.

                Do you guys think the others (Napster, MSN, Walmart, RealPlayer and other
                online music stores) will start carrying podcast. I think it's a win-win
                situation if they get into it because not everyone uses an iPod.

                Also, curious for those who are now downloading via Itunes if you will stop
                using an aggregator. Personally, I like the look of the podcasting page on
                iTunes, I don't care for some of the download speeds I've received. I
                tested the latest TWIT when first released and it was at a snail's pace via
                iTMS and quick just via direct download. The commercial podcasts are quick
                to download off there so far, trying the Lacivious Biddies podcast and
                that's also going super slow.

                I would imagine that someone employed at Apple for the iTMS is reading all
                our messages (kind of curious if they hired a lot of staff just to work on
                the podcast segment of iTunes or the previous staff just has so much of this
                piled on their laps).

                I also agree with Kevin on the "indies" bit. Also, thought I would see the
                whole podshow family on there...

                - daa
              • Nicole Simon
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 30, 2005
                  Les Posen <lesposen@...> wrote:
                  >"Apple today announced that in just two days iTunes customers have
                  >subscribed to more than one million Podcasts from the new iTunes
                  >Podcast Directory. iTunes 4.9 has most of what users need to
                  >discover, subscribe, manage and listen to Podcasts built in.

                  You can only subscribe to a podcast one time. This figure is so obviously
                  not true (while I believe the one million downloads of single podcasts -
                  make that about 50 episodes from my side on different podcasts for testing
                  out), that I am wondering no more.

                  People, who are customers, obviously don't need to be bothered with such
                  details, they would not understand them anyway.

                  Bicyclemark had a fine quote today on this: They wanted you to be handled
                  by them so they can control what you do. But people got off, shared music
                  and did listen to podcasts instead of buying more music.

                  Just as the wrong Pew statistics, let's do, what every marketer would do:
                  Ask again, how many sold songs itunes had in the last 12 month.

                  Divided that by "one million subscribed podcasts" in two days and you get a
                  very lousy conversion rate for selling music on the store ....
                  Nicole

                  --
                  http://sushiradio.com - the delicious tidbit for your ears
                  Latest podcast entry: Cocktail Gokiba

                  http://useful-sounds.de/ No. 34: how podcasting made a conference really great
                • Les Posen
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 30, 2005
                    On 01/07/2005, at 7:28 AM, Nicole Simon wrote:

                    > Bicyclemark had a fine quote today on this: They wanted you to be
                    > handled
                    > by them so they can control what you do. But people got off, shared
                    > music
                    > and did listen to podcasts instead of buying more music.

                    Sorry, is that a criticism or a compliment for iTunes?

                    > Just as the wrong Pew statistics, let's do, what every marketer
                    > would do:
                    > Ask again, how many sold songs itunes had in the last 12 month.
                    >
                    > Divided that by "one million subscribed podcasts" in two days and
                    > you get a
                    > very lousy conversion rate for selling music on the store ....
                    > Nicole

                    I'm missing something in the translation here, Nicole. Are you
                    indicating that iTunes may be a poor monetization option for
                    podcasters to align with, rather than have their own website?

                    Les

                  • Nicole Simon
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 30, 2005
                      Les Posen <lesposen@...> wrote:
                      >Sorry, is that a criticism or a compliment for iTunes?

                      It is an interesting aspect why Apple is embracing podcasting so much but
                      at the same time bringing mainstream, controlled shows into the featured
                      areas.

                      >I'm missing something in the translation here, Nicole. Are you
                      >indicating that iTunes may be a poor monetization option for
                      >podcasters to align with, rather than have their own website?

                      I am saying that with if I was in charge of selling content to people I
                      would be wondering why Itunes is offering 1 mio downloads for nothing and
                      then, if so, why it took them so long to sell the amount of songs they had
                      in the last 12 months.

                      Nicole

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 30, 2005
                        On 01/07/2005, at 8:17 AM, Nicole Simon wrote:

                        > Les Posen <lesposen@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> Sorry, is that a criticism or a compliment for iTunes?
                        >>

                        > It is an interesting aspect why Apple is embracing podcasting so
                        > much but
                        > at the same time bringing mainstream, controlled shows into the
                        > featured
                        > areas.

                        Ok, I see. I think it's about marketing. Let's imagine how many
                        people who would go to the top sellers on podcastalley etc and be
                        totally turned off by the content: uninteresting, too niche, boring
                        presentations, lousy production values, as compared to what they're
                        used to hearing out of their car radios.

                        So Apple takes those which perhaps are more familiar to a naive
                        audience trying to understand the hype about podcasting and lead them
                        to gently experiment with the more "out there" podcasts from rank
                        amateurs who will find their niche audience. I would call it Apple
                        marketing podcasting on our behalf, rather than some malevolent
                        condition of Apple's.

                        > I am saying that with if I was in charge of selling content to
                        > people I
                        > would be wondering why Itunes is offering 1 mio downloads for
                        > nothing and
                        > then, if so, why it took them so long to sell the amount of songs
                        > they had
                        > in the last 12 months.

                        Most analysts have been surprised at the rapidity with which the
                        Apple's iTMS has sold as many songs as it has!

                        What was iTMS competing with when it came on the market a year ago?
                        Free downloads courtesy of Kazaa, Morpheous, Grokster, the legacy of
                        Napster, etc. iTMS had to convince that group to part with US0.99c as
                        compared to $0.00.

                        So what is "so long" to you is miraculous to record execs! And a
                        giver of hope!

                        And for podcasters, a million subscriptions in 48 hours is also a
                        hope-giver, IMHO.

                        Sooner or later, the cream will rise to the top, talent will be
                        discovered by the masses (a la the Idol TV series), and people will
                        be prepared to pay for that rare talent which amuses, or educates, or
                        entertains them.

                        The Internet has been a model of "give it away for free, get them
                        hooked, and then introduce a fee" for those who have located what
                        they like. If that is only 10% so be it, it's a business model that
                        will work. It's how shareware has worked all these years, and I see
                        similar models developing for podcasts.

                        Now, a word of warning about which I am preparing a blog entry: Apple
                        is encouraging its users to create and upload podcasts. How many of
                        that million podcast subscriptions will convert into creative types
                        who will now find their voice. The old heads on this list who may
                        falsely believe they have ownership of podcasting through dint of
                        time investment will be in for a rude shock soon enough. Their voices
                        will be drowned out.

                        First spectacular victims: Dawn and Drew unless they head over to
                        satellite. Not because their talent will be any less, but they will
                        be competing with so many others equally as talented if not more so
                        for whom podcasting has just come onto their radar.

                        Les

                      • Garrick VanBuren
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 30, 2005
                          Les,

                          Thank you for the reminder that we shouldn't be basing our future on scarcity.

                          --
                          Garrick.

                          On 6/30/05, Les Posen <lesposen@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          > they like. If that is only 10% so be it, it's a business model that
                          > will work. It's how shareware has worked all these years, and I see
                          > similar models developing for podcasts.
                          >
                          > Now, a word of warning about which I am preparing a blog entry: Apple
                          > is encouraging its users to create and upload podcasts. How many of
                          > that million podcast subscriptions will convert into creative types
                          > who will now find their voice. The old heads on this list who may
                          > falsely believe they have ownership of podcasting through dint of
                          > time investment will be in for a rude shock soon enough. Their voices
                          > will be drowned out.
                          >
                          > First spectacular victims: Dawn and Drew unless they head over to
                          > satellite. Not because their talent will be any less, but they will
                          > be competing with so many others equally as talented if not more so
                          > for whom podcasting has just come onto their radar.

                          Garrick Van Buren
                          garrick.vanburen@...
                          ph: 612 325 9110
                          First Crack Podcast
                          http://firstcrackpodcast.com/

                          gFeed - all my writing in one place
                          http://garrickvanburen.com/gfeed/

                          PodcastMN - The Sound of Minnesota
                          http://podcastmn.com/

                          Garrick's Podcast Picks
                          http://gigadial.com/public/station/9454
                        • Daniel Walters
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 1, 2005
                            I don't know how many of you are using the beta of CastBlaster (I'm just
                            messing/playing with it myself). But I find it kinda funny that almost all
                            of the info that iTunes asks for, CastBlaster provides for it's meta-data...

                            Maybe Adam's doing. Just throwing it out there for the community to reflect
                            on...
                            ---DW
                            --
                            Daniel Walters
                            www.mylifebytes.com <http://www.mylifebytes.com>

                          • Les Posen
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 1, 2005
                              On 01/07/2005, at 5:11 PM, Daniel Walters wrote:

                              > I don't know how many of you are using the beta of CastBlaster (I'm
                              > just
                              > messing/playing with it myself). But I find it kinda funny that
                              > almost all
                              > of the info that iTunes asks for, CastBlaster provides for it's
                              > meta-data...
                              >
                              > Maybe Adam's doing. Just throwing it out there for the community to
                              > reflect

                              Well, since Castblaster is firmly Windows, it may or nor be Adam's
                              doing... certainly he amongst others has been pushing the ideas
                              behind shownotes, metatags, links etc, which can become part of the
                              ID3 mp3 tag or whatever.

                              Now until Castblaster is ported to the Mac (if ever), I am going to
                              guess that Garageband will be updated to conform more closely to what
                              iTunes requires, or Apple will introduce some intermediary
                              application, create an Automator script, and iTunes will do the rest.

                              I am guessing too that not too far from now, Apple will bring it
                              together for its adherents: Garageband, iTunes, .Mac account, iDisk
                              server - the one-click option some of us have come to expect from
                              Apple. The iLife suite exists - can we expect the iPodcast suite soon?

                              Those using Windows will likely have to manually bring together a
                              variety of apps from different sources, and develop a workflow from
                              there. I haven't played with Castblaster so I'm not too sure how
                              complete a solution it is on its own.

                              I'm guessing that Apple will bring its own brand of elegance to the
                              mix, once the early bugs are worked out from the whole iTunes 4.9
                              introduction.

                              Les

                            • Reed Porter
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 1, 2005
                                On 7/1/05, Les Posen <lesposen@...> wrote:

                                > On 01/07/2005, at 5:11 PM, Daniel Walters wrote:
                                >
                                > I haven't played with Castblaster so I'm not too sure how
                                > complete a solution it is on its own.

                                I seems pretty complete. The Create pane has configurable sound fx,
                                playlist, and does a gooed job of finding input sources. The Describe pane
                                has all the MP3 metadata covered along with a place to put the shownotes and
                                picture. The Publish windows allows you to save to disk and/or publish to
                                your server. The Configure tab lets you choose inputs, set sampling rates
                                and configure the FTP server.
                                I don't know if it allows for files on one server and blog on another
                                server, yet.
                                Reed