It's not all THAT bad...

  • Kevin Devin
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2005
      So... In an effort to give iTunes a shot as my podcatcher, I wiped my iPod
      and started fresh.

      The tag changes that they do, doesn't appear to have THAT great of an impact
      on the feeds. In the display window on my iPod (4g) I see the title of my
      blog post and then the date. If the title is too lengthy, it scrolls. But
      the date is always there and the casts are stacked in the order of latest to
      oldest. To me, this seems quite easy to deal with.

      I also like it that the podcasts are all segregated rather than being all
      lumped in with my music.

      So far... No real complaints here. Nothing that I would find unreasonable or
      inconvenient.

      -KHD

      --
      Kevin H. Devin
      In the Trenches podcast

    • Steve Eley
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 30, 2005
        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Devin <kevin.devin@g...> wrote:

        > So far... No real complaints here. Nothing that I would find
        unreasonable or
        > inconvenient.

        I agree that there are some good ideas in their approach. My biggest
        complaint is that I can't play through all podcasts on my iPod at once,
        or shuffle them, or easily track which I've listened to. I can only
        listen to one podcast at a time, and when it finishes it bumps me to
        the main menu -- with "Music" selected rather than "Podcasts," no less.

        My previous iPod setup was a smart playlist. I had iPodderX set up to
        change all genres to "Audiobook" (because I mix Audible books in with m
        podcasts) and the playlist had two conditions: "Genre is Audiobook"
        and "Play Count is 0." This was a beautiful system; I could just hit
        shuffle and get a random new podcast, and as I listened to each podcast
        it would drop off the playlist automatically.

        If I use iTunes's new features to subscribe to podcasts instead, I lose
        that ability to play through all of them without a lot of menu
        navigation. (If there's a way, someone please tell me!) This alone
        might be enough to send me back to iPodderX. And I say this as someone
        who really, *really* doesn't like iPodderX. It's just the only app
        that will do exactly what I want. If I hadn't gotten used to my
        habits, iTunes's interface would probably seem wonderful.

        Have Fun,
        - Steve Eley
        http://escape.extraneous.org
      • Chuck Tomasi
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 30, 2005
          I'm with you Steve. There are a lot of nice features in the new
          firmware upgrade and iTunes release, but I've crafted a similar mode of
          operation around the smart playlists and external aggregator. iTunes
          disrupts that flow and makes me change. I don't want to change so I'm
          not going to. It's not a BAD interface and implementation, it doesn't
          fit my needs.

          I will definitely be recommending this as the way to go for someone who
          hasn't experienced the 'hard way' before (family, friends, etc.)

          > If I use iTunes's new features to subscribe to podcasts instead, I
          > lose
          > that ability to play through all of them without a lot of menu
          > navigation.  (If there's a way, someone please tell me!)  This alone
          > might be enough to send me back to iPodderX.  And I say this as
          > someone
          > who really, *really* doesn't like iPodderX.  It's just the only app
          > that will do exactly what I want.  If I hadn't gotten used to my
          > habits, iTunes's interface would probably seem wonderful.
          >
          > \\
        • Don McAllister
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 30, 2005
            Couldn't agree more and I blogged about this yesterday.

            www.donsblog.co.uk

            I've now abandoned trying to use 4.9 as my podcatcher purely down to
            the bad user experience of managing and playing podcasts on my ipod.
            I've gone back to ipodder lemon until 4.9.1 comes out.

            PS I can't see why everyone raves about iPodderX - I still find it
            flakey and quirky

            Don

            On 30 Jun 2005, at 16:10, Steve Eley wrote:

            > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Devin <kevin.devin@g...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > So far... No real complaints here. Nothing that I would find
            > unreasonable or
            > > inconvenient.
            >
            > I agree that there are some good ideas in their approach. My biggest
            > complaint is that I can't play through all podcasts on my iPod at
            > once,
            > or shuffle them, or easily track which I've listened to. I can only
            > listen to one podcast at a time, and when it finishes it bumps me to
            > the main menu -- with "Music" selected rather than "Podcasts," no
            > less.
            >
            > My previous iPod setup was a smart playlist. I had iPodderX set up to
            > change all genres to "Audiobook" (because I mix Audible books in
            > with m
            > podcasts) and the playlist had two conditions: "Genre is Audiobook"
            > and "Play Count is 0." This was a beautiful system; I could just hit
            > shuffle and get a random new podcast, and as I listened to each
            > podcast
            > it would drop off the playlist automatically.
            >
            > If I use iTunes's new features to subscribe to podcasts instead, I
            > lose
            > that ability to play through all of them without a lot of menu
            > navigation. (If there's a way, someone please tell me!) This alone
            > might be enough to send me back to iPodderX. And I say this as
            > someone
            > who really, *really* doesn't like iPodderX. It's just the only app
            > that will do exactly what I want. If I hadn't gotten used to my
            > habits, iTunes's interface would probably seem wonderful.
            >

            > Have Fun,
            > - Steve Eley
            > http://escape.extraneous.org
            >

            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            >
            > Visit your group "podcasters" on the web.

          • Kevin H. Devin
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 30, 2005
              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Eley" <SFEley@g...> wrote:
              > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Devin <kevin.devin@g...> wrote:
              > >
              > > So far... No real complaints here. Nothing that I would find
              > unreasonable or
              > > inconvenient.
              >
              > I agree that there are some good ideas in their approach. My biggest
              > complaint is that I can't play through all podcasts on my iPod at once,
              > or shuffle them, or easily track which I've listened to. I can only
              > listen to one podcast at a time, and when it finishes it bumps me to
              > the main menu -- with "Music" selected rather than "Podcasts," no less.
              >
              > My previous iPod setup was a smart playlist. I had iPodderX set up to
              > change all genres to "Audiobook" (because I mix Audible books in with m
              > podcasts) and the playlist had two conditions: "Genre is Audiobook"
              > and "Play Count is 0." This was a beautiful system; I could just hit
              > shuffle and get a random new podcast, and as I listened to each podcast
              > it would drop off the playlist automatically.
              >
              > If I use iTunes's new features to subscribe to podcasts instead, I lose
              > that ability to play through all of them without a lot of menu
              > navigation. (If there's a way, someone please tell me!) This alone
              > might be enough to send me back to iPodderX. And I say this as someone
              > who really, *really* doesn't like iPodderX. It's just the only app
              > that will do exactly what I want. If I hadn't gotten used to my
              > habits, iTunes's interface would probably seem wonderful.

              Agreed... That is a major inconvenience. Since I just refreshed last
              night, today is my first shot at really tinkering with the iPod. The
              inability to include podcasts within smart playlists is a BIG strike
              against it.

              Still tinkering. :-)

              -KHD