Three hand-coded podcasts so far

  • antipast0@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 20, 2004
      Hey there!

      I've been trying to do an experiment with making a podcast in the
      most simple way possible. Granted, the learning curve may be steep,
      but I wonder how much more so that any other way?

      So far, I've hardcoded the rss2, and xhtml pages in notepad. I record
      the show live into Audacity (great, freeware multitrack audio
      editing), and then ftp it all up, and then use ping-o-matic to notify
      the various sites.

      All-in-all, once I set my mind to it, it was suprising fast and easy.
      But I'm used to this kind of stuff (raw html, multitrack editing and
      mp3 encoding, general command-line ftp stuff)...

      The content is just plain silly, and I hope it remains so... I heard
      a bit ago that you can express the most creativity when you limit
      your canvas. That is, I've used SoundForge, CW Sonar, VST... I've
      used FrontPage, DreamWeaver, and written content management systems
      in ASP, PHP, and .NET......... If it is simple, then it won't be a
      pain, and if I don't go for the craziest buzz-word of technology
      (er... besides podcasting itself hehe), then it could be fun and
      naturally creative.

      My general questions to you all would be: A) Should I continue? and
      B) Why do podcast seem to emulate (or want to emulate) radio-like
      production???? As a lo-fi audiophile I just want to hear it as raw as
      possible I guess. C) Anyone know of similar low-fidelity offerings?

      Thanks,

      Thom
      http://www.wowway.com/~antipasto/
      http://www.free-conversant.com/thom/main
    • Nicole Simon
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 20, 2004
        antipast0@... wrote:

        >My general questions to you all would be: A) Should I continue? and
        >B) Why do podcast seem to emulate (or want to emulate) radio-like
        >production???? As a lo-fi audiophile I just want to hear it as raw as
        >possible I guess. C) Anyone know of similar low-fidelity offerings?

        I don't want raw data as in very much noise (i. other persons might beg to
        differ).

        And I just had this weekend a training which showed me - if we think we are
        radio like, we are very very much away of this. Radio is for grasping out
        to an audience out there and showing presence - grabbing your attention.

        Whereas podcasting is about you showing me something of you.

        Big difference. Very big. And the reason why I enjoy podcasting but can't
        endure usual radio anymore.
        Nicole

        --
        podcasts: http://gnak.de/ - http://useful-sounds.de/ (english)
        blogs: http://beissholz.de/ - http://ideengeberin.de/
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 20, 2004
          I don't have a problem at all with the more "homemade" podcasts - it's
          sometimes what makes it interesting.

          But, when I'm so distracted by soft voices because they're too far
          away from the microphone so that I have to strain or even hit rewind
          to figure out what was said, or your intro music seems to go on
          forever, that's when I think it needs to be tightened up a bit.

          I'm all for inexpensive podcasting, but when it's so bad it distracts
          me from the message I'll usually just turn it off. It's not about
          being "just like radio" it's about not distracting your audience from
          what you want to say.

          Tim

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 20, 2004
            "Tim Bourquin" <tncnewmedia@...> wrote:
            >But, when I'm so distracted by soft voices because they're too far
            >away from the microphone so that I have to strain or even hit rewind
            >to figure out what was said, or your intro music seems to go on
            >forever, that's when I think it needs to be tightened up a bit.

            Is 'too far away from the mic' the same for you as 'to quiet'?

            [I know I have a 'soft' voice and always reamplify my podcast to -1db
            because otherwise it is not loud enough - from my point of view.}

            Nicole