Meet My New Podcatcher, del.icio.us

  • Gregory Narain
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 14, 2005
      Hi all,

      I wrote this little piece on what I think the significance of the new
      support for multimedia in del.icio.us means for all of us. Enjoy! I'd
      love to hear your thougts.

      This is the text from a post I recent made here:
      http://socialtwister.com/archives/000539.html

      Best regards,
      Greg

      Meet My New Podcatcher, del.icio.us
      ==========================

      Josh Dura pointed
      <http://www.joshdura.com/links/449/delicious-adds-mp3-podcast-support>
      to some news on the new multimedia/enclosure support
      <http://blog.del.icio.us/blog/2005/06/casting_the_net.html> that's been
      added to del.icio.us. Since then, I've been blinking rapidly with the
      possibilities of this. Perhaps I should explain myself.

      Until now, there were two problems, in two different domains:

      *

      *Podcasts are generally discovered by talent or theme, not topic.*

      That comment will raise hairs on many necks, but it's something I
      believe to be true. For newcomers to podcasting, they generally
      start at a directory or with a directed search as guided by an
      "insider". The challenge for newcomers, as has been covered many
      times before, is that to tell if you like someone requires a good
      deal of work (finding shows on the right theme, downloading and
      listening to determine the fit, etc.). However, we've also got
      lots of shows that are situated around streams of consciousness or
      broader themes (generalization again).

      What has been missing, largely due to the huge effort required the
      prepare detailed show notes and the lack of available indexing
      tools (podscope.com aside), is the ability to determine what a
      show covers. Some may consider this to be a suitable challenge,
      however I there are many, many use cases where random banter won't
      cut it.

      *

      *Audio could be tagged, but not downloaded easily*

      Since our podcasts and other forms of web multimedia live, well,
      on the web, they all theoretically have a unique URL. This is
      where del.icio.us comes into play. People are tagging URLs all the
      time inside this service and their recent round of funding will
      surely deliver greater reliability and new features.

      The disconnect, though some creative have worked around them, was
      that the links to the audio were not presented in a format that
      made it possible for Podcatching clients to download them - we
      could see the smoke, but not the fire.

      So here we are today, and things are very different. Now, del.icio.us
      has added enclosure tags to their generated RSS feeds. This will provide
      us all with a unique ability to reach people who were:

      * Not looking for podcasts, but could benefit from them
      * Looking for more granularity, but unable to find it

      All we need to do now, really, is start to register our podcasts with
      del.icio.us and provide tags that are relevant to the conversation had.
      Now we're getting topical views of the podcasting space. What's best is
      that all the "traditional" arguments for tagging as a whole come with
      it, and then some:

      *

      Quick and easy to designate, as compared to writing show notes
      with time stamps, etc.

      * Human-mediated (for the time being) provides that key human filter
      that helps us determine what's appropriate (note, I'm not
      commenting on quality in any manner).
      *

      Reputation-enabled by default since I can choose to let people I
      "trust" to recommend the topics for specific podcasts. Now I'm
      choosing editorial talent.

      Personally, I am most excited since the SparkCasting system has been
      doing this all along. Every show has been about a specific topic and
      there are internally tags associated with each.

      In summary: very cool indeed

    • Reed Porter
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 14, 2005
        Hi Gregory,
        This really is a leap forward. I first saw it on Fred Wilson's "A VC" blog
        where he challenges readers to add the tag "Fred'sPodcast" to any MP3 on the
        web and he would auto download it to his iPod and probably listen to it. One
        guy even sent him an elevator speech for something he wants Fred to spend
        some venture capital on.
        This is pretty exciting! I'd recommend at the minimum adding the tag
        "podcast" to your show entry and add any relevant keywords as well.
        Example:

        1. The Morning Coffee Notes I just heard could be tagged Winer Podcast
        Zeppelin GPS honda etc.
        2. Then a listener could build a podcast feed in delicious that has
        podcast and GPS as search terms
        3. MCN 6/11/05 would show up in ipodder automatically for them.

        Makes me giggly just thinking about it!

        --
        Reed Porter
        http://www.kccoffeehouse.com/blog

      • Geek News
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 14, 2005
          Putting my bullet proof vest on, PodcastAwards.com turns on nominations at
          0001 tonight HST.

          Todd..
        • Gregory Narain
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 14, 2005
            Reed,

            I agree entirely it's very exciting. Your mention of Fred Wilson as I
            was writing a post about him when I got that little snippet about
            del.icio.us. I will post that up tomorrow as well.

            Best,
            Greg

            Reed Porter wrote:

            >Hi Gregory,
            >This really is a leap forward. I first saw it on Fred Wilson's "A VC" blog
            >where he challenges readers to add the tag "Fred'sPodcast" to any MP3 on the
            >web and he would auto download it to his iPod and probably listen to it. One
            >guy even sent him an elevator speech for something he wants Fred to spend
            >some venture capital on.
            > This is pretty exciting! I'd recommend at the minimum adding the tag
            >"podcast" to your show entry and add any relevant keywords as well.
            > Example:
            >
            > 1. The Morning Coffee Notes I just heard could be tagged Winer Podcast
            > Zeppelin GPS honda etc.
            > 2. Then a listener could build a podcast feed in delicious that has
            > podcast and GPS as search terms
            > 3. MCN 6/11/05 would show up in ipodder automatically for them.
            >
            >Makes me giggly just thinking about it!
            >
            >On 6/14/05, Gregory Narain <greg@...> wrote:
            >

            >>Hi all,
            >>
            >>I wrote this little piece on what I think the significance of the new
            >>support for multimedia in del.icio.us <http://del.icio.us> means for all
            >>of us. Enjoy! I'd
            >>love to hear your thougts.
            >>
            >>This is the text from a post I recent made here:
            >>http://socialtwister.com/archives/000539.html

          • Matthew Terenzio
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 14, 2005
              On Jun 14, 2005, at 4:27 PM, Reed Porter wrote:

              >    1. The Morning Coffee Notes I just heard could be tagged Winer
              > Podcast
              >    Zeppelin GPS honda etc.
              >    2. Then a listener could build a podcast feed in delicious that has
              >    podcast and GPS as search terms
              >    3. MCN 6/11/05 would show up in ipodder automatically for them.

              I find this exciting as well but let's not oversimplify.

              I love morning coffee notes but if I set up a feed for the keyword led
              zeppelin and get Dave Winer singing "Dixie", has the system worked?

              It's a great step nevertheless.

            • Gregory Narain
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 14, 2005
                Matthew,

                I agree, it's not a perfect solution.. but as you indicate it's a good
                step in the right direction. It seems that there are some things that
                could help in this regard:

                1) Requests via addition (+) to make sure that other terms are also there
                2) Requests via trusted editors (people you believe to tag well)
                3) Tag strength (using comparisons, etc. to determine how "likely" the
                tags match your preferences)

                Best,
                Greg

                Matthew Terenzio wrote:

                >On Jun 14, 2005, at 4:27 PM, Reed Porter wrote:
                >

                >> 1. The Morning Coffee Notes I just heard could be tagged Winer
                >>Podcast
                >> Zeppelin GPS honda etc.
                >> 2. Then a listener could build a podcast feed in delicious that has
                >> podcast and GPS as search terms
                >> 3. MCN 6/11/05 would show up in ipodder automatically for them.
                >>

                >I find this exciting as well but let's not oversimplify.
                >
                >I love morning coffee notes but if I set up a feed for the keyword led
                >zeppelin and get Dave Winer singing "Dixie", has the system worked?
                >
                >It's a great step nevertheless.

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Russell S. Holliman
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 14, 2005
                  Vest, huh? That's why I always aim for the head.

                  Sorry..couldn't resist. Thanks for the reminder!

                  -Russell

                  On 6/14/05, Geek News <geek@...> wrote:
                  > Putting my bullet proof vest on, PodcastAwards.com turns on nominations at
                  > 0001 tonight HST.
                  >
                  > Todd..
                • Kristopher Smith
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 14, 2005
                    got nothing but love, my nerd friend. the only reason you need the vest
                    is because you keep sticking your head out there.

                    podcasting could use more guys like yourself and anyone that says
                    differently always colors inside the lines.

                    // kris

                    Geek News wrote:

                    >Putting my bullet proof vest on, PodcastAwards.com turns on nominations at
                    >0001 tonight HST.
                    >
                    >Todd..
                    >

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Reed Porter
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 14, 2005
                      I would hope he'd tag every podcast with Winer and Podcast. Then each
                      podcast would have tags pertinant to the show notes. That way dixie fans
                      would get dixie and zeppelin fans would get zepplin.
                      On 6/14/05, Matthew Terenzio <matt@...> wrote:

                      > I love morning coffee notes but if I set up a feed for the keyword led
                      > zeppelin and get Dave Winer singing "Dixie", has the system worked?
                      >
                      > It's a great step nevertheless.

                    • Sam Curtis Coutin
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 14, 2005
                        > I wrote this little piece on what I think the significance of the new
                        > support for multimedia in del.icio.us <http://del.icio.us> means for all
                        > of us. Enjoy! I'd
                        > love to hear your thougts.

                        Hey Greg,

                        You've inspired me to give it a shot. I have minimal experience with
                        Delicious, but what I'm getting is that the podcast producer is encouraged
                        to independently TAG each and every published episode, thereby enabling the
                        listener to filter episodes by tag. Is that right in a nutshell? Sounds
                        powerful..!

                        Sam

                        Listen To Sports Podcasts
                        www.mysportsradio.com <http://www.mysportsradio.com>
                        Bang The Boards
                        boards.mysportsradio.com <http://boards.mysportsradio.com>
                        iPod Shuffle Contest at
                        http://mysportsradio.com/?page_id=289

                      • Reed Porter
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 14, 2005
                          Exactly. And if a cheese fanatic wants podcasts with cheese tags, he could
                          put this feed in his podcatcher:
                          http://del.icio.us/rss/tag/podcast+cheese
                          and it will grab any podcasts tagged this way.
                          And there is nothing to prevent others tagging your podcasts for you and
                          the same benefit occuring:
                          http://del.icio.us/tag/podcast+winer has 5 or 6 entries already by many
                          people.
                          Not everybody will do it, but some will. I do like the idea telling folks
                          to tag something x and y will happen. I guess I'm just starting to 'get'
                          del.icio.us <http://del.icio.us>

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 14, 2005
                            Sam,

                            You got it man. Glad you gave it a shot. I think the value is created
                            from both ends, as Reed has pointed out.

                            From the production side, we can start to view this as a responsibility
                            we have towards marketing/distributing our show in much the same way we
                            edit ID3 tags, register with directories, and ping various trackers.

                            From the consumption side, it make it possible to not only mark items I
                            truly enjoy but also to share my understanding of what I've learned with
                            others.

                            I hope everyone will give it a shot.

                            Best,
                            Greg

                            Sam Curtis Coutin wrote:

                            >>I wrote this little piece on what I think the significance of the new
                            >>support for multimedia in del.icio.us <http://del.icio.us> means for all
                            >>of us. Enjoy! I'd
                            >>love to hear your thougts.
                            >>

                            >Hey Greg,
                            >
                            >You've inspired me to give it a shot. I have minimal experience with
                            >Delicious, but what I'm getting is that the podcast producer is encouraged
                            >to independently TAG each and every published episode, thereby enabling the
                            >listener to filter episodes by tag. Is that right in a nutshell? Sounds
                            >powerful..!
                            >
                            >Sam

                          • Gareth Trent
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 14, 2005
                              On 6/14/05, Kristopher Smith <kris@...> wrote:

                              > podcasting could use more guys like yourself and anyone that says
                              > differently always colors inside the lines.

                              Well of course I color inside the lines, if I didn't THE NUNS WOULD BEAT ME.
                            • Gareth Trent
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 14, 2005
                                On 6/14/05, Russell S. Holliman <treocast@...> wrote:
                                > Vest, huh? That's why I always aim for the head.

                                2 to the chest, one to the head surely Russell
                              • bitzofbrin
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jun 15, 2005
                                  --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Narain <greg@b...> wrote:
                                  > Hi all,
                                  >
                                  > I wrote this little piece on what I think the significance of the new
                                  > support for multimedia in del.icio.us means for all of us. Enjoy! I'd
                                  > love to hear your thougts.
                                  >
                                  > This is the text from a post I recent made here:
                                  > http://socialtwister.com/archives/000539.html

                                  I must be doing something wrong. When I submit my webpage and add tags like "podcast
                                  +podsafe" and "podcast+teen" they turn into these weird %22podcast%2Bpodsafe%22 tags.
                                  My dad says those are codes for quotes and a plus, but what's up with that? How do I list my
                                  Memorial Day podcast in with the podsafe stuff? Can someone explain it to me? I'm sure if
                                  you did I'd get it.

                                  Is it just me or is del.icio.us really hard to figure out? There's no search. No help files. It's
                                  like for hardcore geeks! :p
                                • Reed Porter
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jun 15, 2005
                                    To post a url go to http://del.icio.us/post/ and enter your podcast down to
                                    the filename:
                                    http://www.aros.net/~brucew/BitzofBrin/BitzofBrin_2005-05-30_Memorial_Day.mp3
                                    The add tags seperated by spaces. Use quotes if you want to combine 2 words
                                    in a term:
                                    podcast "podsafe music" "Memorial Day" Marine BitzoBrin
                                    I'm sure there is a way to auto-tag your posts, too.

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jun 15, 2005
                                      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Reed Porter <reedracer@g...> wrote:
                                      > To post a url go to http://del.icio.us/post/ and enter your podcast down to
                                      > the filename:
                                      > http://www.aros.net/~brucew/BitzofBrin/BitzofBrin_2005-05-30_Memorial_Day.mp3
                                      > The add tags seperated by spaces. Use quotes if you want to combine 2 words
                                      > in a term:
                                      > podcast "podsafe music" "Memorial Day" Marine BitzoBrin
                                      > I'm sure there is a way to auto-tag your posts, too.

                                      Ugh. I think I got it to work. I did as you suggested (thanks, btw!) and entered the mp3
                                      url but the tags didn't work as you said. I posted there before but couldn't figure out the
                                      combined tags. I was adding the +'s! LOL

                                      My dad and I figured out that you don't need to put things in quotes. Then the tags are
                                      recorded as "Memorial or Day" with the quote part of the tag! del.icio.us is sorta stupid
                                      that way.

                                      Here's how it works. Make sure "podcast" is one of your tags. Then any other keyword
                                      you add can be added to it in the URL. For fun I put in "grooblefunky". So http://
                                      del.icio.us/tag/podcast+groobleflunky brings up my podcast, as well as http://del.icio.us/
                                      tag/podcast+memorial+day or http://del.icio.us/tag/podcast+teen or http://del.icio.us/
                                      tag/day+memorial+drunkdriver

                                      I think this is powerful and I'm glad to help people find my podcasts, but it's a lot of work
                                      and del.icio.us should make this easier. There's no help files. There are no explanations.
                                      It's silly I have to visit a yahoo group to learn how to do this, then experiment for a half
                                      hour.

                                      Anyway, couldn't del.icio.us do this before? Is the buzz just that nobody thought to use
                                      del.icio.us this way before?

                                      Brin

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jun 15, 2005
                                        On 6/14/05, Gregory Narain <greg@...> wrote:

                                        > Sam,
                                        >
                                        > You got it man. Glad you gave it a shot. I think the value is created
                                        > from both ends, as Reed has pointed out.

                                        Greg,

                                        Awesome. Still putt-putt-ing along with it, but giving it a whirl.

                                        From the production side, we can start to view this as a responsibility
                                        > we have towards marketing/distributing our show in much the same way we
                                        > edit ID3 tags, register with directories, and ping various trackers.
                                        >
                                        > From the consumption side, it make it possible to not only mark items I
                                        > truly enjoy but also to share my understanding of what I've learned with
                                        > others.

                                        Call me "glass half-empty Sam", but I always tend to think about the
                                        potential for abuse. How are the so-called tag-spammers handled? Or have
                                        they been shown to not be much of an issue with Delicious to this point?

                                        Best,

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jun 17, 2005
                                          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Sam Curtis Coutin <samc@a...> wrote:
                                          > On 6/14/05, Gregory Narain <greg@b...> wrote:
                                          > Call me "glass half-empty Sam", but I always tend to think about the
                                          > potential for abuse. How are the so-called tag-spammers handled? Or have
                                          > they been shown to not be much of an issue with Delicious to this point?
                                          >
                                          > Best,
                                          >
                                          > Sam

                                          Well, I think it's started already. http://del.icio.us/tag/realestate brings up businesses. I
                                          guess that's not spam but since anybody can add anything in there it will get crazy soon.

                                          But del.icio.us is hard to use. It's really a geek thing. I bet spam will be a bigger issue when
                                          del.icio.us has a search and is more muggle-like.
                                        • Podcast Awards
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jun 20, 2005
                                            All

                                            In just over 5 days the Podcast Awards site has seen a significant
                                            amount of traffic and nominations in the 20 categories went over 1000
                                            submissions. Our contest for sites, that drive the most traffic to
                                            podcastawards.com is getting heated and we will have our first winner
                                            in 5 days. A total of 3 prizes will be given out over the contest to
                                            the sites that drive the most traffic to the website. So make sure you
                                            have your listeners and clicking on the promotion banner you have on
                                            your websites when they come and nominate your show. You have but 10
                                            days to have your shows nominated by your listeners. The number of
                                            nominations from independent nominators help in the final scoring of
                                            who will be in the top 5 for each category so keep on promoting your
                                            site to be nominated.

                                            Chantal
                                          • roykamen
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Aug 4 10:05 AM
                                              Doesn't matter if we win or lose, just being on the nominated list in
                                              Health & Fitness has given us a tremendous amount of coverage and
                                              exposure.

                                              Roy Kamen
                                              www.marinaspodcast.com
                                            • Todd Cochrane
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Oct 9, 2013
                                                Podcast Awards Nominations close on the 15th.. If you are participating
                                                make sure you have registered your podcast as well..
                                                http://podcastawards.com

                                                Todd...

                                                --
                                                Todd Cochrane