Re: [podcasters] Removing iTunes....

  • Matt May
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 7, 2005
      Phillip (MacPhilly) Zannini wrote:

      >Yes, his language is bad. No, that's not pot, it's a cigar to the
      >best of my knowledge. It's very difficult to smoke pot and talk at
      >the same time.

      No, that is _definitely_ pot.

      >On 6/7/05, misterpodcast <misterpodcast@...> wrote:
      >

      >>Looks like I'm going to have to remove the iTunes application from my
      >>kids computers. Lets see: Adam Curry says the "F" and "S" words a
      >>couple of times in each and every Daily Source Code Podcast. (not to
      >>mention a couple of other choice mature words) He also smokes pot
      >>throughout the show. (and seems to be very proud of it) Not the
      >>message Apple should be sending out..... I thought Radio was getting bad.
      >>(I guess they can listen to the Dawn and Drew show to learn about sex.)
      >>Thanks for the public service Apple!

      Congratulations on being a responsible parent. As long as you don't try
      to be _my_ responsible parent by getting Apple to censor what it offers,
      we'll get along fine.

      -
    • Nicole Simon
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 7, 2005
        Matt May <mcmay@...> wrote:

        >Congratulations on being a responsible parent. As long as you don't try
        >to be _my_ responsible parent by getting Apple to censor what it offers,
        >we'll get along fine.

        100% agreed.

        Nicole

        --
        http://sushiradio.com - the delicious tidbit for your ears
        Latest entry: Tris Hussey about Salt Spring Island

        http://useful-sounds.de/ No. 33: The S-edition
        http://crueltobekind.org/ with reboot preconference podcast
      • Scriptor
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 7, 2005
          Years ago while I was pregnant with my first, I was told that
          Parental Control = Parents taking Control = Knowing who and what
          your kids are doing, wearing, hanging out with, etc etc etc. That
          makes me think it isn't Apple's job, it isn't Adam Curry's job, it's
          no one's job but the PARENT!

          But that's just me. I'm odd that way.

          Crys

          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Nicole Simon <nisi@g...> wrote:
          > Matt May <mcmay@b...> wrote:
          >
          > >Congratulations on being a responsible parent. As long as you
          don't try
          > >to be _my_ responsible parent by getting Apple to censor what it
          offers,
          > >we'll get along fine.
          >
          > 100% agreed.
          >
          > Nicole
          >
          > --
          > http://sushiradio.com - the delicious tidbit for your ears
          > Latest entry: Tris Hussey about Salt Spring Island
          >
          > http://useful-sounds.de/ No. 33: The S-edition
          > http://crueltobekind.org/ with reboot preconference podcast
        • Jack Sharry
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 7, 2005
            I think all adults in society need a certain degree of responsibility to protect children who aren't ready to encounter certain things. We're really a 2 working parent society now and parents don't have the kind of control over their children that they used too. The reason I add my two cents in is because I recently moved and took my daughter to the new library to get a library card and we were both given a routine briefing that she can view pornography or anything else she wants to there. Now I no longer have to watch her, but have to watch everyone else in the library, even when she is at my side. If adult or extreme material is provided, the providers should be required to make sure adults are accessing it.

            Jack Sharry

            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 7, 2005
              AHHH -- there's the thing. We live on a single income (3 adults and
              3 children in the household) BECAUSE we don't want to give the kids
              over to someone else to raise. We don't have a lot bcause of it.
              Just a modest roof over our heads and the knowledge of what our kids
              are doing. 10 to 1 the Joneses are WAY ahead of us. We just don't
              care.

              Crys

              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Jack Sharry <jacksharry2003@y...>
              wrote:
              > I think all adults in society need a certain degree of
              responsibility to protect children who aren't ready to encounter
              certain things. We're really a 2 working parent society now and
              parents don't have the kind of control over their children that they
              used too. The reason I add my two cents in is because I recently
              moved and took my daughter to the new library to get a library card
              and we were both given a routine briefing that she can view
              pornography or anything else she wants to there. Now I no longer
              have to watch her, but have to watch everyone else in the library,
              even when she is at my side. If adult or extreme material is
              provided, the providers should be required to make sure adults are
              accessing it.

              > Jack Sharry

            • C.C. Chapman
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 7, 2005
                VERY well said.

                As a father of two I hate it when people try to force others to regulate. I
                don't want anyone to regulate what my kids are exposed to but me. I need to
                be responsible enough to be sure that if I don't want them reading,
                listening or watching something that I don't allow them to do it.

                I wouldn't mind Apple giving guidance such as what they do now with labeling
                songs as "explicit" but I certainly don't want them ever preventing someone
                from downloading or listening to something.

                C.C. Chapman
                Host & Producer of http://www.accidenthash.com

                _____

                Years ago while I was pregnant with my first, I was told that
                Parental Control = Parents taking Control = Knowing who and what
                your kids are doing, wearing, hanging out with, etc etc etc. That
                makes me think it isn't Apple's job, it isn't Adam Curry's job, it's
                no one's job but the PARENT!

                But that's just me. I'm odd that way.

                Crys

                --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Nicole Simon <nisi@g...> wrote:
                > Matt May <mcmay@b...> wrote:
                >
                > >Congratulations on being a responsible parent. As long as you
                don't try
                > >to be _my_ responsible parent by getting Apple to censor what it
                offers,
                > >we'll get along fine.
                >
                > 100% agreed.
                >
                > Nicole
                >
                > --
                > http://sushiradio.com - the delicious tidbit for your ears
                > Latest entry: Tris Hussey about Salt Spring Island
                >
                > http://useful-sounds.de/ No. 33: The S-edition
                > http://crueltobekind.org/ with reboot preconference podcast

                _____

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              • Jack Sharry

                  Years ago while I was pregnant with my first, I was told that
                  Parental Control = Parents taking Control = Knowing who and what
                  your kids are doing, wearing, hanging out with, etc etc etc. That
                  makes me think it isn't Apple's job, it isn't Adam Curry's job, it's
                  no one's job but the PARENT!

                  But that's just me. I'm odd that way.

                  Crys

                  --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Nicole Simon <nisi@g...> wrote:
                  > Matt May <mcmay@b...> wrote:
                  >
                  > >Congratulations on being a responsible parent. As long as you
                  don't try
                  > >to be _my_ responsible parent by getting Apple to censor what it
                  offers,
                  > >we'll get along fine.
                  >
                  > 100% agreed.
                  >
                  > Nicole
                  >
                  > --
                  > http://sushiradio.com - the delicious tidbit for your ears
                  > Latest entry: Tris Hussey about Salt Spring Island
                  >
                  > http://useful-sounds.de/ No. 33: The S-edition
                  > http://crueltobekind.org/ with reboot preconference podcast

                  _____

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                • roykamen
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 7, 2005
                    I so much appreciate that this conversation is taking place. I brought
                    it up at our last NYC Podcasters Association meeting and saw how
                    differently everyone reacted.... from agreement to "screw you."

                    I, as a parent of 3 kids, want every podcaster to voluntarily post
                    whether they think the podcasts contain "child questionable" material
                    (or however it should read). I know that I have a higher tolerance for
                    what my kids see compared to many of my neighbors and that shows how
                    different one's views of "child questionable" material may be. I would
                    just hate to have the Feds tell us how to rate... so we should figure
                    out a rating system for ourselves and be pre-emptive.

                    Roy Kamen

                    wrote:
                    > I understand the whole free speech issue too, and would like to see
                    anything I want when I want also. But.... anyone who believes they
                    have complete control over their children's lives I believe is in for
                    some surprises down the line. Also, do we want children to grow up in
                    an environment where parents don't permit their children even the most
                    limited freedom to grow as an individual. What about the kids right to
                    be free and safe from exploitation by adults. The content issue is
                    important for the same reason we don't let adults guide children into
                    mature movie theaters. A lot of children really can't handle what
                    their exposed to prematurely. I don't think it's as clear cut as it
                    first appears. Take these to be more questions than answers. I'm still
                    blown away by my porno briefing with my 11yr old daughter from the
                    local library. Also, Content ratings probably is an issue that will be
                    addressed by the government down the line.

                    > Jack Sharry
                    >
                    > "C.C. Chapman" <cc@r...> wrote:
                    > VERY well said.
                    >
                    > As a father of two I hate it when people try to force others to
                    regulate. I
                    > don't want anyone to regulate what my kids are exposed to but me. I
                    need to
                    > be responsible enough to be sure that if I don't want them reading,
                    > listening or watching something that I don't allow them to do it.
                    >
                    > I wouldn't mind Apple giving guidance such as what they do now with
                    labeling
                    > songs as "explicit" but I certainly don't want them ever preventing
                    someone
                    > from downloading or listening to something.
                    >
                    > C.C. Chapman
                    > Host & Producer of http://www.accidenthash.com
                    >
                    > _____

                    Service

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 7, 2005
                      Jack Sharry wrote:

                      > Also, Content ratings probably is an issue that will be addressed by the government down the line.

                      Will be? Has been. Big time. Read up on the Communications Decency Act
                      and the Child Online Protection Act (COPA), and most germane to your
                      complaint, the Children's Internet Protection Act.

                      CIPA, which is the only one to survive a Supreme Court challenge,
                      requires libraries that accept federal funding to filter Internet
                      content. Many libraries (including yours, I assume) have foregone that
                      funding rather than buy into filtering systems that would inadvertently
                      block, say, breast cancer research materials from women who are
                      concerned they have it, in addition to what it is intended to protect
                      children from.

                      While we will not be protected from government's attempts to control
                      Internet content, it turns out that it's pretty much always a bad idea.
                      Which is why PICS was proposed, and why there's been renewed interest
                      in it recently.

                      It would be pretty easy for Apple to lock podcasters into PICS if it
                      came to that: no rating, no listing. It's a relatively painless thing to
                      do, and if it keeps the federales off our asses, it's worth it. At least
                      that's what the MPAA, the RIAA and the TV networks think. :)

                      -
                    • Nicole Simon
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 8, 2005
                        Jack Sharry <jacksharry2003@...> wrote:

                        >see anything I want when I want also. But.... anyone who believes
                        >they have complete control over their children's lives I believe
                        >is in for some surprises down the line.

                        You don't have. You don't have control over their every steps when they
                        walk around. This is why you teach them to stay away from alcohol, drugs
                        and other things. Like not going on the street, when a car is coming. And
                        so on. You teach them so they recognize it by their own.

                        And? You said in the other post:
                        >Now I no longer have to watch her, but have to watch everyone
                        >else in the library, even when she is at my side.

                        Should indicate to you, that there is something wrong. If I was sitting
                        innocently at that same library researching and holding up a book with
                        'pornography' I probably would not even be aware of the fact, that you
                        would consider it as such - due to cultural backgrounds. So any signs like
                        "don't expose childreen here to pornography!" would not raise any action
                        from me.

                        But why go to that library anymore, if you know there is porn? How long
                        will you accompany your daughter? Till she is 21?

                        These are more rhetorical quesetions btw.

                        >Also, Content ratings probably is an issue that
                        >will be addressed by the government down the line.

                        Oh we do have an earth goverment`? Since when?

                        Nicole

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 8, 2005
                          "roykamen" <rkamen@...> wrote:
                          >I, as a parent of 3 kids, want every podcaster to voluntarily post
                          >whether they think the podcasts contain "child questionable" material
                          >(or however it should read).

                          I am still asking for the "if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the
                          kitchen" tag.

                          Nicole

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 8, 2005
                            Matt May <mcmay@...> wrote:
                            >block, say, breast cancer research materials from women who are
                            >concerned they have it, in addition to what it is intended to protect
                            >children from.

                            Oh I still remember the outrage once AOL forced that one on their
                            newsserver, preventing adults form reaching the group but where to stupid
                            to stop delivering the newsgroups telling you to get around this blockade.

                            I know that code and mail delivery via email got busted because it
                            containeed BAD WORDS like

                            "Die verwendeten Methoden wurden harsch aufgenommen"
                            would result in
                            "Die verwendeten Met..... wurden h..... aufgenommen

                            because Hoden / Arsch = testicels and ass where in the words of the
                            sentence "The methods where taken rather harsh".

                            Nicole

                            --
                            http://sushiradio.com - the delicious tidbit for your ears
                            Latest entry: Tris Hussey about Salt Spring Island

                            http://useful-sounds.de/ No. 33: The S-edition
                            http://crueltobekind.org/ with reboot preconference podcast
                          • Gareth Trent
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 8, 2005
                              Yeah right, like those words have not been available in any of the
                              songs that are available on iTunes. Jeez.