Re: [podcasters] iTunes already has built-in podcast abilities....

  • Les Posen
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2005
      On 03/06/2005, at 8:25 AM, Stephen Eley wrote:

      > On 6/2/05, Les Posen <lesposen@...> wrote:
      >

      >> That's it. And when you're ready, you can purchase the song right
      >> from the Wish List with a single click. Just by clicking on the "Buy
      >> Song" button."
      >>
      >> Sounds like a podcast delivery method to me - and this is the current
      >> iTunes music store.
      >>

      > How exactly is this a podcast delivery method? All you're describing
      > is placeholders to unpurchased songs. How could I use this to
      > download Dawn & Drew? Or Escape Pod?

      With a bit of imagination...

      The idea seems to be that iTunes already has the capacity to put
      files on hold for later downloading. It's only a hop, skip and click
      to see further automation download chosen files from preferred
      podcasters when they become available. In other words, there seem to
      be two choices here:

      1. An iPodder type app to automate the downloading into iTunes, such
      that began the podcast community.

      2. On call downloads such as RSS aggregators can organise where you
      manually select which files you wish and the app then downloads it
      directly into iTunes which sorts it out (ie files it) according to ID
      tags.

      Apple in Tiger has already offered a scripting type app in the form
      of Automator to offer an easy means to automate the process, and I
      imagine it would be easy to integrate this with iTunes 4.8

      My thoughts are that the current iTunes already allows for a delayed
      downloading scenario, and it will take little for its programmers to
      merge iPodder type functionality into the next iTunes, including
      offering new genres, rather than just an overarching "Podcast" genre.

      Les