re-writing history...

  • Russell S. Holliman
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
      Forget Adam and Dave. According to one article I found today,
      podcasting was invented by the established blogger community:

      "Welcome to the world of podcasts, the latest invention by the
      pajamahadeen to spin off and head for a computer near you. Why
      "podcast"? Because it's not broadcast; you have to hunt out the files,
      then download and listen to them on your iPod. And pajamahadeen?
      That's the crusading mass of bloggers who reckon they are gaining the
      upper hand over Big Media in the US because they can fact-check the
      news outlets into the ground. They christened themselves thus after
      the CBS News executive Jonathan Klein said: "You couldn't have a
      starker contrast between the multiple layers of checks and balances
      [at CBS] and a guy sitting in his living room in his pajamas writing."

      The whole article, which does in fact mention Adam, can be found at
      http://www.newstatesman.com/200506060019.

      Just thought it was interesting...

      -R
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
        On 6/2/05, Russell S. Holliman <treocast@...> wrote:

        > The whole article, which does in fact mention Adam, can be found at
        > http://www.newstatesman.com/200506060019.

        I don't believe the columnist had a lot to say, but I thought this bit
        was amusing:

        "But the reality is that, just as with blogs, most podcasts won't make
        money, ever. And most won't be much good. Curry's elementary mistakes
        in scene-setting and introductions, which would get a rookie radio
        correspondent sent back to training school, are standard in podcasts.
        Winer will get up mid-sentence to walk across the room and pour
        himself a coffee. That's 30 seconds of your life that you'll never get
        back."

        ESCAPE POD - the SF podcast magazine
        http://escape.extraneous.org
      • Brian Noe
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
          " Winer will get up mid-sentence to walk across the room and pour
          himself a coffee. That's 30 seconds of your life that you'll never get
          back."

          i thought that was one of the *cool* things about podcasting

          noe

        • Shelly
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
            Um, not so much.

            On 6/2/05, Brian Noe <noebie@...> wrote:
            > " Winer will get up mid-sentence to walk across the room and pour
            > himself a coffee. That's 30 seconds of your life that you'll never get
            > back."
            >
            > i thought that was one of the *cool* things about podcasting
            >
            > noe

            Shelly Brisbin, Writer, Editor, Geek for Hire
            Web Site: http://brisbin.net
            Shelly's Podcast: http://shellyspodcast.blogspot.com
            Get the feed: http://brisbin.net/myfeed.xml
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
              On 6/2/05, Brian Noe <noebie@...> wrote:
              > " Winer will get up mid-sentence to walk across the room and pour
              > himself a coffee. That's 30 seconds of your life that you'll never get
              > back."
              >
              > i thought that was one of the *cool* things about podcasting

              I've heard the sound of coffee being poured before. Andy Kaufman
              could probably do this and make it funny, but he's not (to the best of
              anyone's knowledge) podcasting right now.

              ESCAPE POD - the SF podcast magazine
              http://escape.extraneous.org
            • Harold Johnson
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
                Look, when are you people going to get it straight? *I* started
                podcasting. Back in 1971 I noticed a serious lack of digital audio
                programming available - in fact, there weren't very many digital
                devices, really - and while taking a poo out-of-doors one day in my
                sandbox it hit me - why not make digital audio available on the
                Internet (then under another name)? As a result, I began telling all
                these brilliant engineers about my poo out-of-doors 'casting (now
                shortened to p.o.d. casting).

                Podcaster Harold
                http://podcasterharold.com

                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
                  i get that sometimes podcasts are indulgent and ponderous

                  on the other hand, everything doesn't have to be entertaining...and for me,
                  one of the cool things about podcasts is that a guy like winer can go pour
                  himself a cup of coffee, not edit it out, and i have the choice to listen or
                  not

                  this is one of the primary distinctions between podcasting (or really any
                  audio distribution directly from producer to listener) and things like radio

                  not everyone may be interested in listening to curry's senseo burps or winer
                  talking with his mouth full, but i like it that this medium allows that sort
                  of thing...and people who criticise the lack of "professionalism" or polish
                  in podcasts are missing the point

                  noe

                • mcdtracy
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
                    Russell S. Holliman wrote:

                    > "most podcasts won't make money"

                    People pay for audio... when the audio they are willing to pay for
                    is distributed in this fashion, it will make money. It will also
                    have DRM controls to prevent duplication of the downloaded file
                    but the technology in itself doesn't have to be profitless.
                    Imagine the overhead of producing and distributing all those
                    audio books and someone opening the channel to podcast that material
                    and get more listeners at a fraction of the costs of marketing the
                    plastic model. So, I disagree with this point.

                    Most podcasts don't cost a lot of money to produce and distribute.
                    A popular music act could sell podcasts of their live shows...
                    It will happen.

                    > And most (podcasts) won't be much good.

                    For most people... but that's NOT the point. Everyone has an audience
                    and podcasts allow the speaker and listener to connect without
                    anyone else deciding that this is something they should allow or
                    fund. If YOU decide to talk into your computer and post the result
                    then someone will find the result valuable and worth the trouble
                    even if most don't. The key like any art is to keep working
                    to find and build your audience. Would you like to find 100
                    people that are passionate about "fly casting" and make a community
                    out of that with a combo blog/podcast? It's going to be "good"
                    for someone.

                    > Curry's elementary mistakes

                    Shot howdy... don't be talkin' smack about the podfather.
                    Adam has put out something on the order of #183 podcasts already.
                    and I find most of them to be good... far better than anything
                    I can find on the airwaves while driving. Do we love it when this
                    seasoned broadcast pro forgets about the rules of radio and
                    just talks to us about his kid or flying or meeting with Steve Jobs?

                    Adam's Rule: "If you don't like it... skip it." and I do...
                    "Hit tests", Drum dadences, mash-ups usually don't get much air time.

                    > Winer will get up mid-sentence to walk across the room and pour
                    > himself a coffee. That's 30 seconds of your life that you'll never
                    > get back."

                    True... but Dave's trying to make a serious point about NOT paralyzing
                    everyone with a fear of performing. He's got a heavy dose of eastern
                    philosopy and that 30 second moment was performance art. The other
                    29 and 1/2 minutes were worth giving Dave a little latitude. But I'm
                    in Dave's audience and I thought it was a good show. Would I pay money
                    to listen to Dave Winer? I'll probably never have to take that
                    question seriously... Dave's not in it for the money.

                    Russell S. Holliman on the other hand needs to keep his day job and
                    crank out the articles (by the word?). He'd probably make a good
                    podcast but "Why give it away?"

                    McD
                  • Gareth Trent
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
                      On 6/2/05, Brian Noe <noebie@...> wrote:
                      >and people who criticise the lack of "professionalism" or polish
                      > in podcasts are missing the point
                      >
                      > noe

                      100% agree. I'm not looking for radio content distributed in a
                      different way, I am looking for ENTIRELY NEW CONTENT, so I tend to
                      get turned off the 'flashier' a podcast gets - because what are they
                      using as a reference for their more 'professional production' - yep,
                      radio.
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
                        On 6/2/05, mcdtracy <mcdorman@...> wrote:

                        > Russell S. Holliman on the other hand needs to keep his day job and
                        > crank out the articles (by the word?). He'd probably make a good
                        > podcast but "Why give it away?"

                        Point of correction. Russell S. Hollimann didn't write the article on
                        the New Statesman's Web site; he simply posted a link to it here.

                        ESCAPE POD - the SF podcast magazine
                        http://escape.extraneous.org
                      • Chris Kalaboukis
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
                          On 6/2/05, Brian Noe <noebie@...> wrote:
                          > " Winer will get up mid-sentence to walk across the room and pour
                          > himself a coffee. That's 30 seconds of your life that you'll never get
                          > back."

                          What about those 30 second mortgage commercials on traditional radio....?
                          I'd rather listen to Winer grab a coffee for 30 seconds than an annoying
                          voice literally scream "REFI NOW! BEST RATES EVER!"

                          Calculate how much *real* content is on a 3 hour radio show like Rush, Stern
                          or Savage. I'll bet that theres some podcasts who have them beat.

                          thanks...chris
                          ---
                          chris future (aka kalaboukis)
                          host of the future radio network @ http://www.futureradionet.com
                          THINKfuture - ranting / HEARfuture - music / SPINfuture - fiction
                        • Mobile Jones
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
                            Well, since you mentioned it. poocasting is an
                            accurate label for some of the crapola I've listened
                            to.

                            --- Harold Johnson <harold.johnson@...> wrote:

                            > Look, when are you people going to get it straight?
                            > *I* started
                            > podcasting. Back in 1971 I noticed a serious lack
                            > of digital audio
                            > programming available - in fact, there weren't very
                            > many digital
                            > devices, really - and while taking a poo
                            > out-of-doors one day in my
                            > sandbox it hit me - why not make digital audio
                            > available on the
                            > Internet (then under another name)? As a result, I
                            > began telling all
                            > these brilliant engineers about my poo out-of-doors
                            > 'casting (now
                            > shortened to p.o.d. casting).
                            >
                            > Podcaster Harold
                            > http://podcasterharold.com
                            >
                            > On 6/2/05, Russell S. Holliman <treocast@...>
                            > wrote:
                            > > Forget Adam and Dave. According to one article I
                            > found today,
                            > > podcasting was invented by the established blogger
                            > community:

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • Russell S. Holliman
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
                              On 6/2/05, mcdtracy <mcdorman@...> wrote:
                              > Russell S. Holliman wrote:
                              >
                              > > "most podcasts won't make money"

                              Um. No I didn't.

                              > Russell S. Holliman on the other hand needs to keep his day job and
                              > crank out the articles (by the word?). He'd probably make a good
                              > podcast but "Why give it away?"
                              >
                              > McD

                              What are you talking about? All I did was point out an article that I
                              found humorous. I think there has been some misunderstanding. One the
                              other hand, I do have a podcast: mobilepodacst.org. And based on that
                              many folks have given me the similar advice: don't quit you're day
                              job. Ha!
                            • Gareth Trent
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
                                On 6/2/05, Chris Kalaboukis <ck@...> wrote:
                                > On 6/2/05, Brian Noe <noebie@...> wrote:

                                > What about those 30 second mortgage commercials on traditional radio....?
                                > I'd rather listen to Winer grab a coffee for 30 seconds than an annoying
                                > voice literally scream "REFI NOW! BEST RATES EVER!"

                                I was trying to think of a good analogy on that point and you
                                absolutely nailed it. Kudos.
                              • paul
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
                                  The bottom line here is the difference in content.
                                  Radio, IMO, has little or no redeeming qualities
                                  anymore. I now have about 10 different radio stations
                                  I can choose from, but they all play the same 10
                                  songs, and/or have 8 commercials in between them. I'm
                                  lucky to hear 5 songs in an hours time. And talk radio
                                  has been reduced to either conservative drivel, or
                                  liberal garbage.

                                  Podcasting on the other hand offers your choice of
                                  over 1000 shows. They can be listened to at your
                                  liesure, and what little commercials there are, if
                                  any, you can forward.

                                  I have to ask anyone who says that they have not found
                                  anything they like, of the 1000 plus you have listened
                                  to, which specific ones don't you like?

                                  Paul Puri
                                  Unsigned Podcast Network
                                  http://www.unsignedpodcast.com/