Just starting out, need advice.

  • nickvansmack9
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 12, 2004
      I heard a little bit about Podcasting recently on KFI with Adam Curry while driving. I'm
      wanting to get a website up, but haven't picked a domain name yet, webhosting, etc.

      I want to do this right from the get go and there is so much info out there that I'm dizzy.

      Can someone dilineate step by step actions I need to do to set up a podcast? (a first things
      first type of list would be awesome and also what size server I'd need hosted, etc.)

      I want to put my soundbites up somehow and is there "pod video" casting as well?

      If someone can recommend what I need to do or read first, that would be awesome.

      I'd also like to get my church involved with their site as well, by podcasting (instead of just
      having mp3 files on the web page) and giving visitors an RSS feed that "new sermons are
      up" type of email alerts.

      What requirements does one need so as to not exceed the MB limits web hosts put on data
      transfer? Does podcasting help instead of putting an mp3 on the website?
      Any help from the experienced would be awesome!

      Thanks in advance!
      nick
    • Dale Hugo
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 13, 2004
        Well, I have not yet put out my first offical podcast but as a
        NEWBIE it was not all that difficult to put out test files and
        subscribe to them with ipodder. Radio Userland ($40) does all the
        work for me in making the enclosures. I am on a Mac and am using
        several free applications (including iTunes, Garageband, linein, and
        soundflower) to create the MP3 files. From saying I wanted to do it
        to getting up my first podcast test was about 2 hours. I will be
        using Quicktime Pro to edit the audio file. I am hoping to record
        the first installment later this week. The only technical snafu I
        have is the lack of a quiet place away from kids, wife, dog to
        record in and the time after work, sleep, kids homework, watching
        Kerry and Bush slaughter each other in the debates, etc. Life gets
        in the way of my FUN!

        I am using a commercial ISP for the web hosting. They offered a good
        deal on storage and bandwidth at about $8 per month (no set up fee!).

        The setup I am using is almost exactly that as mentioned on the
        engadget site.

        Lastly, the final MP3 file is usually linked on the web site so you
        can download it automatically with iPodder or just go to the site
        and click it. It accomodates all.

        AS FOR CONTENT: The idea of a church posting a service or a weekly
        sermon in the form of a podcast is perfect! It is exactly the type
        of audio on demand content for which this is ideal.

        Good luck and let us know when you have things up and running!

        Dale
        Atomic city Health and Fitness
        www.atomiccity.org