Re: [podcasters] New PingAll service from AllPodcasts.com

    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
      On 6/1/05, Geoff Taylor <geoff@...> wrote:

      > Well, the problem with that approach is that I'll only know that it has
      > happened once my server or their server has crashed under the strain. I'm
      > just not going to expose my server to that until I have a better plan in
      > place - one that doesn't involve servers crashing...!

      Hey, it'll only happen once. >8->

      (For a more general solution, you could store the site URLs from each
      ping in a cache, so that if you get multiple pings for the same site
      inside of a minute or so, all but the first are rejected. This
      wouldn't be hard, and it would also protect you from broken blog
      software, a likelier scenario IMO.)

      ESCAPE POD - the SF podcast magazine
      http://escape.extraneous.org
    • Geoff Taylor
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 2, 2005
        Hi,

        The ping is compatible with weblogs.com's and the URL is:
        xmlrpc://www.allpodcasts.com/Ping.aspx

        So in UserLand you'd use something like:
        <%["xmlrpc://www.allpodcasts.com/Ping.aspx"].weblogUpdates.ping ("My
        Feed Name", "http://MyHost.com/MyRssFile.xml") %>

        There are some more details of it at:
        http://www.allpodcasts.com/Notes/Pings.aspx

        (This was one of the first bits of AllPodcasts.com that I implemented,
        y'know. Like many bits of it, this one suffers from under-promotion on my
        part. Sorry about that.)

        Cheers,

        Geoff

      • Geoff Taylor
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 2, 2005

          Yeah, and it might not even be my server! I could really take out the
          competition here...!

          > (For a more general solution, you could store the site URLs from each
          > ping in a cache, so that if you get multiple pings for the same site
          > inside of a minute or so, all but the first are rejected. This
          > wouldn't be hard, and it would also protect you from broken blog
          > software, a likelier scenario IMO.)

          Yeah, this is likely the approach I'll take, although I'll probably make the
          time window a bit bigger. (If one of the other servers was broken it could
          take a minute to time out.)

          It'll be a few days before I get back to this though.

          Cheers,

          Geoff

          --
          http://www.allpodcasts.com/
          All Podcasts, indexed and searchable.
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 2, 2005
            On 6/1/05, robert <news@...> wrote:
            > Normally I would not pimp my show on this board.

            You are a good man Robert

            > But since the show is an interview with Adam Curry, I thought most
            > people would be interested.

            ........OK.....let you off this time.
          • Gareth Trent
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 3, 2005
              Robert,

              Just listened to your interview with Wichita. That was excellent, and
              he said something that struck a cord with me. He talked about his web
              site being really simple, because he just wants it so people can
              easily get at his podcasts.

              That is the total opposite of many podcasters who came to podcasting
              from blogging, and who still seem to use their podcasts to primarily
              drive listeners to their web site.

              CV

              On 6/1/05, robert <news@...> wrote:
              > Normally I would not pimp my show on this board.
              >
              > But since the show is an interview with Adam Curry, I thought most
              > people would be interested.
              >
              > http://www.podcast411.com/podcasts/411_050601.mp3
              >
              > Here is the link to the interview.
              >
              > Dave W - When would you like to come on?
              >
              > Rob W
              > podCast411
              >
              > www.podcast411.com

            • Sam Curtis Coutin
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 3, 2005
                > But since the show is an interview with Adam Curry, I thought most
                > people would be interested.

                Rob,

                Excellent job on the AC interview. The email conversation was helpful.
                I'm still wondering why the iPodder.org father removed me as Sports
                Node category manager of iPodder.org... suppose it's too late to get
                that question in because lord knows he doesn't get to email.

                A little background: I built the thing up from just about scratch and
                managed it for about six months... he takes a copy of my opml file
                onto his server, and stops pointing to mine. To boot, he removes
                several of the sports podcasts. The archives of this and the
                ipodder-dev group show what I went through to get the node setup. And
                now people can't get added to the sports node since I stopped managing
                it. No communication, no explanation... strange.

                Enough of that. More importantly, podcast411 rocks... Count me as one
                who "listens different".

                Sam

                Listen To Sports Podcasts
                www.mysportsradio.com
                Bang The Boards
                boards.mysportsradio.com
                iPod Shuffle Contest at
                http://mysportsradio.com/?page_id=289
              • Geoff Taylor
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 5, 2005
                  Hi,

                  I finally got the XML-RPC interface up and running (I think...) You should
                  be able to ping it using something like:

                  <%["xmlrpc://www.allpodcasts.com/PingAll/XmlRpc.ashx"].weblogUpdates.ping
                  ("My Feed Name", "http://MyHost.com/MyRssFile.xml") %>

                  As discussed here, I've put in a re-ping limit - you can't re-ping within 5
                  minutes, so that errant software doesn't break things for everyone. There's
                  no such restriction in the web interface though.

                  Also, the list of directories pinged now includes iPodder.org. If anyone
                  knows any others to include, please let me know.

                  Many thanks,

                  Geoff