RE: [podcasters] New PingAll service from AllPodcasts.com

  • Geek News
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
      Were is the RPC url that I can point my blog software at?

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
        On 6/1/05, Geoff Taylor <geoff@...> wrote:

        > Well, the problem with that approach is that I'll only know that it has
        > happened once my server or their server has crashed under the strain. I'm
        > just not going to expose my server to that until I have a better plan in
        > place - one that doesn't involve servers crashing...!

        Hey, it'll only happen once. >8->

        (For a more general solution, you could store the site URLs from each
        ping in a cache, so that if you get multiple pings for the same site
        inside of a minute or so, all but the first are rejected. This
        wouldn't be hard, and it would also protect you from broken blog
        software, a likelier scenario IMO.)

        ESCAPE POD - the SF podcast magazine
        http://escape.extraneous.org
      • Geoff Taylor
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 2, 2005
          Hi,

          The ping is compatible with weblogs.com's and the URL is:
          xmlrpc://www.allpodcasts.com/Ping.aspx

          So in UserLand you'd use something like:
          <%["xmlrpc://www.allpodcasts.com/Ping.aspx"].weblogUpdates.ping ("My
          Feed Name", "http://MyHost.com/MyRssFile.xml") %>

          There are some more details of it at:
          http://www.allpodcasts.com/Notes/Pings.aspx

          (This was one of the first bits of AllPodcasts.com that I implemented,
          y'know. Like many bits of it, this one suffers from under-promotion on my
          part. Sorry about that.)

          Cheers,

          Geoff

        • Geoff Taylor
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 2, 2005

            Yeah, and it might not even be my server! I could really take out the
            competition here...!

            > (For a more general solution, you could store the site URLs from each
            > ping in a cache, so that if you get multiple pings for the same site
            > inside of a minute or so, all but the first are rejected. This
            > wouldn't be hard, and it would also protect you from broken blog
            > software, a likelier scenario IMO.)

            Yeah, this is likely the approach I'll take, although I'll probably make the
            time window a bit bigger. (If one of the other servers was broken it could
            take a minute to time out.)

            It'll be a few days before I get back to this though.

            Cheers,

            Geoff

            --
            http://www.allpodcasts.com/
            All Podcasts, indexed and searchable.
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 2, 2005
              On 6/1/05, robert <news@...> wrote:
              > Normally I would not pimp my show on this board.

              You are a good man Robert

              > But since the show is an interview with Adam Curry, I thought most
              > people would be interested.

              ........OK.....let you off this time.
            • Gareth Trent
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 3, 2005
                Robert,

                Just listened to your interview with Wichita. That was excellent, and
                he said something that struck a cord with me. He talked about his web
                site being really simple, because he just wants it so people can
                easily get at his podcasts.

                That is the total opposite of many podcasters who came to podcasting
                from blogging, and who still seem to use their podcasts to primarily
                drive listeners to their web site.

                CV

                On 6/1/05, robert <news@...> wrote:
                > Normally I would not pimp my show on this board.
                >
                > But since the show is an interview with Adam Curry, I thought most
                > people would be interested.
                >
                > http://www.podcast411.com/podcasts/411_050601.mp3
                >
                > Here is the link to the interview.
                >
                > Dave W - When would you like to come on?
                >
                > Rob W
                > podCast411
                >
                > www.podcast411.com

              • Sam Curtis Coutin
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 3, 2005
                  > But since the show is an interview with Adam Curry, I thought most
                  > people would be interested.

                  Rob,

                  Excellent job on the AC interview. The email conversation was helpful.
                  I'm still wondering why the iPodder.org father removed me as Sports
                  Node category manager of iPodder.org... suppose it's too late to get
                  that question in because lord knows he doesn't get to email.

                  A little background: I built the thing up from just about scratch and
                  managed it for about six months... he takes a copy of my opml file
                  onto his server, and stops pointing to mine. To boot, he removes
                  several of the sports podcasts. The archives of this and the
                  ipodder-dev group show what I went through to get the node setup. And
                  now people can't get added to the sports node since I stopped managing
                  it. No communication, no explanation... strange.

                  Enough of that. More importantly, podcast411 rocks... Count me as one
                  who "listens different".

                  Sam

                  Listen To Sports Podcasts
                  www.mysportsradio.com
                  Bang The Boards
                  boards.mysportsradio.com
                  iPod Shuffle Contest at
                  http://mysportsradio.com/?page_id=289
                • Geoff Taylor
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 5, 2005
                    Hi,

                    I finally got the XML-RPC interface up and running (I think...) You should
                    be able to ping it using something like:

                    <%["xmlrpc://www.allpodcasts.com/PingAll/XmlRpc.ashx"].weblogUpdates.ping
                    ("My Feed Name", "http://MyHost.com/MyRssFile.xml") %>

                    As discussed here, I've put in a re-ping limit - you can't re-ping within 5
                    minutes, so that errant software doesn't break things for everyone. There's
                    no such restriction in the web interface though.

                    Also, the list of directories pinged now includes iPodder.org. If anyone
                    knows any others to include, please let me know.

                    Many thanks,

                    Geoff