Re: [podcasters] New PingAll service from AllPodcasts.com

    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
      On 6/1/05, Geoff Taylor <geoff@...> wrote:

      > > Now what's the URL for your RPC interface, so I can do this
      > > automatically from my blog software? >8->
      >
      > What, don't you like the UI?!

      It's not a matter of liking it. The whole point of pinging is that it
      can happen behind the scenes, without having to think about it on each
      new post. Your competitors (I'm thinking of Pingomatic again here)
      implement an RPC interface. If you want us to use your service
      instead of theirs, you should do the same.

      > The one nagging problem I have with it is: what if someone else implements a
      > PingAll-type service? I ping them, they automatically ping me, making me
      > ping them, making them ping me...

      Um. This problem *does* seem trivial. You ping a small, known list
      of services. These services are all directories, they're not ping
      services. If one of their developers goes insane and reimplements
      their client service to ping back, just take them off the list!

      ESCAPE POD - the SF podcast magazine
      http://escape.extraneous.org
    • Geoff Taylor
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005

        Yeah, that was a bit tongue-in-cheek. I have an XML-RPC interface for
        pinging my directory, just not one for the PingAll service.

        > > The one nagging problem I have with it is: what if someone else
        > implements a
        > > PingAll-type service? I ping them, they automatically ping me, making
        > me
        > > ping them, making them ping me...
        >
        > Um. This problem *does* seem trivial. You ping a small, known list
        > of services. These services are all directories, they're not ping
        > services. If one of their developers goes insane and reimplements
        > their client service to ping back, just take them off the list!

        Well, the problem with that approach is that I'll only know that it has
        happened once my server or their server has crashed under the strain. I'm
        just not going to expose my server to that until I have a better plan in
        place - one that doesn't involve servers crashing...!

        Geoff

        --
        http://www.allpodcasts.com/
        All Podcasts, indexed and searchable.
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
          Were is the RPC url that I can point my blog software at?

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
            On 6/1/05, Geoff Taylor <geoff@...> wrote:

            > Well, the problem with that approach is that I'll only know that it has
            > happened once my server or their server has crashed under the strain. I'm
            > just not going to expose my server to that until I have a better plan in
            > place - one that doesn't involve servers crashing...!

            Hey, it'll only happen once. >8->

            (For a more general solution, you could store the site URLs from each
            ping in a cache, so that if you get multiple pings for the same site
            inside of a minute or so, all but the first are rejected. This
            wouldn't be hard, and it would also protect you from broken blog
            software, a likelier scenario IMO.)

            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 2, 2005
              Hi,

              The ping is compatible with weblogs.com's and the URL is:
              xmlrpc://www.allpodcasts.com/Ping.aspx

              So in UserLand you'd use something like:
              <%["xmlrpc://www.allpodcasts.com/Ping.aspx"].weblogUpdates.ping ("My
              Feed Name", "http://MyHost.com/MyRssFile.xml") %>

              There are some more details of it at:
              http://www.allpodcasts.com/Notes/Pings.aspx

              (This was one of the first bits of AllPodcasts.com that I implemented,
              y'know. Like many bits of it, this one suffers from under-promotion on my
              part. Sorry about that.)

              Cheers,

              Geoff

            • Geoff Taylor
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 2, 2005

                Yeah, and it might not even be my server! I could really take out the
                competition here...!

                > (For a more general solution, you could store the site URLs from each
                > ping in a cache, so that if you get multiple pings for the same site
                > inside of a minute or so, all but the first are rejected. This
                > wouldn't be hard, and it would also protect you from broken blog
                > software, a likelier scenario IMO.)

                Yeah, this is likely the approach I'll take, although I'll probably make the
                time window a bit bigger. (If one of the other servers was broken it could
                take a minute to time out.)

                It'll be a few days before I get back to this though.

                Cheers,

                Geoff

                --
                http://www.allpodcasts.com/
                All Podcasts, indexed and searchable.
              • Gareth Trent
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 2, 2005
                  On 6/1/05, robert <news@...> wrote:
                  > Normally I would not pimp my show on this board.

                  You are a good man Robert

                  > But since the show is an interview with Adam Curry, I thought most
                  > people would be interested.

                  ........OK.....let you off this time.
                • Gareth Trent
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 3, 2005
                    Robert,

                    Just listened to your interview with Wichita. That was excellent, and
                    he said something that struck a cord with me. He talked about his web
                    site being really simple, because he just wants it so people can
                    easily get at his podcasts.

                    That is the total opposite of many podcasters who came to podcasting
                    from blogging, and who still seem to use their podcasts to primarily
                    drive listeners to their web site.

                    CV

                    On 6/1/05, robert <news@...> wrote:
                    > Normally I would not pimp my show on this board.
                    >
                    > But since the show is an interview with Adam Curry, I thought most
                    > people would be interested.
                    >
                    > http://www.podcast411.com/podcasts/411_050601.mp3
                    >
                    > Here is the link to the interview.
                    >
                    > Dave W - When would you like to come on?
                    >
                    > Rob W
                    > podCast411
                    >
                    > www.podcast411.com

                  • Sam Curtis Coutin
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 3, 2005
                      > But since the show is an interview with Adam Curry, I thought most
                      > people would be interested.

                      Rob,

                      Excellent job on the AC interview. The email conversation was helpful.
                      I'm still wondering why the iPodder.org father removed me as Sports
                      Node category manager of iPodder.org... suppose it's too late to get
                      that question in because lord knows he doesn't get to email.

                      A little background: I built the thing up from just about scratch and
                      managed it for about six months... he takes a copy of my opml file
                      onto his server, and stops pointing to mine. To boot, he removes
                      several of the sports podcasts. The archives of this and the
                      ipodder-dev group show what I went through to get the node setup. And
                      now people can't get added to the sports node since I stopped managing
                      it. No communication, no explanation... strange.

                      Enough of that. More importantly, podcast411 rocks... Count me as one
                      who "listens different".

                      Sam

                      Listen To Sports Podcasts
                      www.mysportsradio.com
                      Bang The Boards
                      boards.mysportsradio.com
                      iPod Shuffle Contest at
                      http://mysportsradio.com/?page_id=289
                    • Geoff Taylor
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 5, 2005
                        Hi,

                        I finally got the XML-RPC interface up and running (I think...) You should
                        be able to ping it using something like:

                        <%["xmlrpc://www.allpodcasts.com/PingAll/XmlRpc.ashx"].weblogUpdates.ping
                        ("My Feed Name", "http://MyHost.com/MyRssFile.xml") %>

                        As discussed here, I've put in a re-ping limit - you can't re-ping within 5
                        minutes, so that errant software doesn't break things for everyone. There's
                        no such restriction in the web interface though.

                        Also, the list of directories pinged now includes iPodder.org. If anyone
                        knows any others to include, please let me know.

                        Many thanks,

                        Geoff