Adam Curry Interviewed on Podcast411

  • robert
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
      Normally I would not pimp my show on this board.

      But since the show is an interview with Adam Curry, I thought most
      people would be interested.

      http://www.podcast411.com/podcasts/411_050601.mp3

      Here is the link to the interview.

      Dave W - When would you like to come on?

      Rob W
      podCast411

      www.podcast411.com

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
        On 6/1/05, Geoff Taylor <geoff@...> wrote:

        > So, instead of manually pinging a bunch of sites like Audio.Weblogs.Com and
        > PodNova etc when you release a new episode, you can just go to one page:
        > http://www.allpodcasts.com/PingAll/Default.aspx

        Nice -- you cover a few sites that Pingomatic doesn't.

        Now what's the URL for your RPC interface, so I can do this
        automatically from my blog software? >8->

        ESCAPE POD - the SF podcast magazine
        http://escape.extraneous.org
      • Geoff Taylor
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005

          What, don't you like the UI?!

          Yeah, I'm open to this, but...

          The one nagging problem I have with it is: what if someone else implements a
          PingAll-type service? I ping them, they automatically ping me, making me
          ping them, making them ping me...

          So far, I haven't got an utterly trivial solution to this, and I haven't had
          the time to put in a not-utterly-trivial solution. But if enough people nag
          me, I'll raise the priority.

          Cheers,

          Geoff
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
            On 6/1/05, Geoff Taylor <geoff@...> wrote:

            > > Now what's the URL for your RPC interface, so I can do this
            > > automatically from my blog software? >8->
            >
            > What, don't you like the UI?!

            It's not a matter of liking it. The whole point of pinging is that it
            can happen behind the scenes, without having to think about it on each
            new post. Your competitors (I'm thinking of Pingomatic again here)
            implement an RPC interface. If you want us to use your service
            instead of theirs, you should do the same.

            > The one nagging problem I have with it is: what if someone else implements a
            > PingAll-type service? I ping them, they automatically ping me, making me
            > ping them, making them ping me...

            Um. This problem *does* seem trivial. You ping a small, known list
            of services. These services are all directories, they're not ping
            services. If one of their developers goes insane and reimplements
            their client service to ping back, just take them off the list!

            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005

              Yeah, that was a bit tongue-in-cheek. I have an XML-RPC interface for
              pinging my directory, just not one for the PingAll service.

              > > The one nagging problem I have with it is: what if someone else
              > implements a
              > > PingAll-type service? I ping them, they automatically ping me, making
              > me
              > > ping them, making them ping me...
              >
              > Um. This problem *does* seem trivial. You ping a small, known list
              > of services. These services are all directories, they're not ping
              > services. If one of their developers goes insane and reimplements
              > their client service to ping back, just take them off the list!

              Well, the problem with that approach is that I'll only know that it has
              happened once my server or their server has crashed under the strain. I'm
              just not going to expose my server to that until I have a better plan in
              place - one that doesn't involve servers crashing...!

              Geoff

              --
              http://www.allpodcasts.com/
              All Podcasts, indexed and searchable.
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
                Were is the RPC url that I can point my blog software at?

                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
                  On 6/1/05, Geoff Taylor <geoff@...> wrote:

                  > Well, the problem with that approach is that I'll only know that it has
                  > happened once my server or their server has crashed under the strain. I'm
                  > just not going to expose my server to that until I have a better plan in
                  > place - one that doesn't involve servers crashing...!

                  Hey, it'll only happen once. >8->

                  (For a more general solution, you could store the site URLs from each
                  ping in a cache, so that if you get multiple pings for the same site
                  inside of a minute or so, all but the first are rejected. This
                  wouldn't be hard, and it would also protect you from broken blog
                  software, a likelier scenario IMO.)

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 2, 2005
                    Hi,

                    The ping is compatible with weblogs.com's and the URL is:
                    xmlrpc://www.allpodcasts.com/Ping.aspx

                    So in UserLand you'd use something like:
                    <%["xmlrpc://www.allpodcasts.com/Ping.aspx"].weblogUpdates.ping ("My
                    Feed Name", "http://MyHost.com/MyRssFile.xml") %>

                    There are some more details of it at:
                    http://www.allpodcasts.com/Notes/Pings.aspx

                    (This was one of the first bits of AllPodcasts.com that I implemented,
                    y'know. Like many bits of it, this one suffers from under-promotion on my
                    part. Sorry about that.)

                    Cheers,

                    Geoff

                  • Geoff Taylor
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 2, 2005

                      Yeah, and it might not even be my server! I could really take out the
                      competition here...!

                      > (For a more general solution, you could store the site URLs from each
                      > ping in a cache, so that if you get multiple pings for the same site
                      > inside of a minute or so, all but the first are rejected. This
                      > wouldn't be hard, and it would also protect you from broken blog
                      > software, a likelier scenario IMO.)

                      Yeah, this is likely the approach I'll take, although I'll probably make the
                      time window a bit bigger. (If one of the other servers was broken it could
                      take a minute to time out.)

                      It'll be a few days before I get back to this though.

                      Cheers,

                      Geoff

                      --
                      http://www.allpodcasts.com/
                      All Podcasts, indexed and searchable.
                    • Gareth Trent
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 2, 2005
                        On 6/1/05, robert <news@...> wrote:
                        > Normally I would not pimp my show on this board.

                        You are a good man Robert

                        > But since the show is an interview with Adam Curry, I thought most
                        > people would be interested.

                        ........OK.....let you off this time.
                      • Gareth Trent
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 3, 2005
                          Robert,

                          Just listened to your interview with Wichita. That was excellent, and
                          he said something that struck a cord with me. He talked about his web
                          site being really simple, because he just wants it so people can
                          easily get at his podcasts.

                          That is the total opposite of many podcasters who came to podcasting
                          from blogging, and who still seem to use their podcasts to primarily
                          drive listeners to their web site.

                          CV

                          On 6/1/05, robert <news@...> wrote:
                          > Normally I would not pimp my show on this board.
                          >
                          > But since the show is an interview with Adam Curry, I thought most
                          > people would be interested.
                          >
                          > http://www.podcast411.com/podcasts/411_050601.mp3
                          >
                          > Here is the link to the interview.
                          >
                          > Dave W - When would you like to come on?
                          >
                          > Rob W
                          > podCast411
                          >
                          > www.podcast411.com

                        • Sam Curtis Coutin
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 3, 2005
                            > But since the show is an interview with Adam Curry, I thought most
                            > people would be interested.

                            Rob,

                            Excellent job on the AC interview. The email conversation was helpful.
                            I'm still wondering why the iPodder.org father removed me as Sports
                            Node category manager of iPodder.org... suppose it's too late to get
                            that question in because lord knows he doesn't get to email.

                            A little background: I built the thing up from just about scratch and
                            managed it for about six months... he takes a copy of my opml file
                            onto his server, and stops pointing to mine. To boot, he removes
                            several of the sports podcasts. The archives of this and the
                            ipodder-dev group show what I went through to get the node setup. And
                            now people can't get added to the sports node since I stopped managing
                            it. No communication, no explanation... strange.

                            Enough of that. More importantly, podcast411 rocks... Count me as one
                            who "listens different".

                            Sam

                            Listen To Sports Podcasts
                            www.mysportsradio.com
                            Bang The Boards
                            boards.mysportsradio.com
                            iPod Shuffle Contest at
                            http://mysportsradio.com/?page_id=289
                          • Geoff Taylor
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 5, 2005
                              Hi,

                              I finally got the XML-RPC interface up and running (I think...) You should
                              be able to ping it using something like:

                              <%["xmlrpc://www.allpodcasts.com/PingAll/XmlRpc.ashx"].weblogUpdates.ping
                              ("My Feed Name", "http://MyHost.com/MyRssFile.xml") %>

                              As discussed here, I've put in a re-ping limit - you can't re-ping within 5
                              minutes, so that errant software doesn't break things for everyone. There's
                              no such restriction in the web interface though.

                              Also, the list of directories pinged now includes iPodder.org. If anyone
                              knows any others to include, please let me know.

                              Many thanks,

                              Geoff