New PingAll service from AllPodcasts.com

  • Geoff Taylor
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
      Hi there,

      The folks over on Podcast-Marketing were beta guinea-pigs for the new
      PingAll service, and I think all the niggles have been worked out.

      So, instead of manually pinging a bunch of sites like Audio.Weblogs.Com and
      PodNova etc when you release a new episode, you can just go to one page:
      http://www.allpodcasts.com/PingAll/Default.aspx

      From there, you just enter your feed URL and press "Ping!" and let it do the
      rest. It pings every pingable podcast directory out there.

      More details at:
      http://www.allpodcasts.com/Notes/PingAll.aspx

      I'd appreciate any feedback on the UI, if you have any, and if you know of
      any other podcast directories with pingable interfaces I'd appreciate it if
      you'd let me know.

      Many thanks,

      Geoff

      --
      http://www.allpodcasts.com/
      All Podcasts, indexed and searchable.
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
        Normally I would not pimp my show on this board.

        But since the show is an interview with Adam Curry, I thought most
        people would be interested.

        http://www.podcast411.com/podcasts/411_050601.mp3

        Here is the link to the interview.

        Dave W - When would you like to come on?

        Rob W
        podCast411

        www.podcast411.com

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
          On 6/1/05, Geoff Taylor <geoff@...> wrote:

          > So, instead of manually pinging a bunch of sites like Audio.Weblogs.Com and
          > PodNova etc when you release a new episode, you can just go to one page:
          > http://www.allpodcasts.com/PingAll/Default.aspx

          Nice -- you cover a few sites that Pingomatic doesn't.

          Now what's the URL for your RPC interface, so I can do this
          automatically from my blog software? >8->

          ESCAPE POD - the SF podcast magazine
          http://escape.extraneous.org
        • Geoff Taylor
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005

            What, don't you like the UI?!

            Yeah, I'm open to this, but...

            The one nagging problem I have with it is: what if someone else implements a
            PingAll-type service? I ping them, they automatically ping me, making me
            ping them, making them ping me...

            So far, I haven't got an utterly trivial solution to this, and I haven't had
            the time to put in a not-utterly-trivial solution. But if enough people nag
            me, I'll raise the priority.

            Cheers,

            Geoff
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
              On 6/1/05, Geoff Taylor <geoff@...> wrote:

              > > Now what's the URL for your RPC interface, so I can do this
              > > automatically from my blog software? >8->
              >
              > What, don't you like the UI?!

              It's not a matter of liking it. The whole point of pinging is that it
              can happen behind the scenes, without having to think about it on each
              new post. Your competitors (I'm thinking of Pingomatic again here)
              implement an RPC interface. If you want us to use your service
              instead of theirs, you should do the same.

              > The one nagging problem I have with it is: what if someone else implements a
              > PingAll-type service? I ping them, they automatically ping me, making me
              > ping them, making them ping me...

              Um. This problem *does* seem trivial. You ping a small, known list
              of services. These services are all directories, they're not ping
              services. If one of their developers goes insane and reimplements
              their client service to ping back, just take them off the list!

              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005

                Yeah, that was a bit tongue-in-cheek. I have an XML-RPC interface for
                pinging my directory, just not one for the PingAll service.

                > > The one nagging problem I have with it is: what if someone else
                > implements a
                > > PingAll-type service? I ping them, they automatically ping me, making
                > me
                > > ping them, making them ping me...
                >
                > Um. This problem *does* seem trivial. You ping a small, known list
                > of services. These services are all directories, they're not ping
                > services. If one of their developers goes insane and reimplements
                > their client service to ping back, just take them off the list!

                Well, the problem with that approach is that I'll only know that it has
                happened once my server or their server has crashed under the strain. I'm
                just not going to expose my server to that until I have a better plan in
                place - one that doesn't involve servers crashing...!

                Geoff

                --
                http://www.allpodcasts.com/
                All Podcasts, indexed and searchable.
              • Geek News
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
                  Were is the RPC url that I can point my blog software at?

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
                    On 6/1/05, Geoff Taylor <geoff@...> wrote:

                    > Well, the problem with that approach is that I'll only know that it has
                    > happened once my server or their server has crashed under the strain. I'm
                    > just not going to expose my server to that until I have a better plan in
                    > place - one that doesn't involve servers crashing...!

                    Hey, it'll only happen once. >8->

                    (For a more general solution, you could store the site URLs from each
                    ping in a cache, so that if you get multiple pings for the same site
                    inside of a minute or so, all but the first are rejected. This
                    wouldn't be hard, and it would also protect you from broken blog
                    software, a likelier scenario IMO.)

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 2, 2005
                      Hi,

                      The ping is compatible with weblogs.com's and the URL is:
                      xmlrpc://www.allpodcasts.com/Ping.aspx

                      So in UserLand you'd use something like:
                      <%["xmlrpc://www.allpodcasts.com/Ping.aspx"].weblogUpdates.ping ("My
                      Feed Name", "http://MyHost.com/MyRssFile.xml") %>

                      There are some more details of it at:
                      http://www.allpodcasts.com/Notes/Pings.aspx

                      (This was one of the first bits of AllPodcasts.com that I implemented,
                      y'know. Like many bits of it, this one suffers from under-promotion on my
                      part. Sorry about that.)

                      Cheers,

                      Geoff

                    • Geoff Taylor
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 2, 2005

                        Yeah, and it might not even be my server! I could really take out the
                        competition here...!

                        > (For a more general solution, you could store the site URLs from each
                        > ping in a cache, so that if you get multiple pings for the same site
                        > inside of a minute or so, all but the first are rejected. This
                        > wouldn't be hard, and it would also protect you from broken blog
                        > software, a likelier scenario IMO.)

                        Yeah, this is likely the approach I'll take, although I'll probably make the
                        time window a bit bigger. (If one of the other servers was broken it could
                        take a minute to time out.)

                        It'll be a few days before I get back to this though.

                        Cheers,

                        Geoff

                        --
                        http://www.allpodcasts.com/
                        All Podcasts, indexed and searchable.
                      • Gareth Trent
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 2, 2005
                          On 6/1/05, robert <news@...> wrote:
                          > Normally I would not pimp my show on this board.

                          You are a good man Robert

                          > But since the show is an interview with Adam Curry, I thought most
                          > people would be interested.

                          ........OK.....let you off this time.
                        • Gareth Trent
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 3, 2005
                            Robert,

                            Just listened to your interview with Wichita. That was excellent, and
                            he said something that struck a cord with me. He talked about his web
                            site being really simple, because he just wants it so people can
                            easily get at his podcasts.

                            That is the total opposite of many podcasters who came to podcasting
                            from blogging, and who still seem to use their podcasts to primarily
                            drive listeners to their web site.

                            CV

                            On 6/1/05, robert <news@...> wrote:
                            > Normally I would not pimp my show on this board.
                            >
                            > But since the show is an interview with Adam Curry, I thought most
                            > people would be interested.
                            >
                            > http://www.podcast411.com/podcasts/411_050601.mp3
                            >
                            > Here is the link to the interview.
                            >
                            > Dave W - When would you like to come on?
                            >
                            > Rob W
                            > podCast411
                            >
                            > www.podcast411.com

                          • Sam Curtis Coutin
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 3, 2005
                              > But since the show is an interview with Adam Curry, I thought most
                              > people would be interested.

                              Rob,

                              Excellent job on the AC interview. The email conversation was helpful.
                              I'm still wondering why the iPodder.org father removed me as Sports
                              Node category manager of iPodder.org... suppose it's too late to get
                              that question in because lord knows he doesn't get to email.

                              A little background: I built the thing up from just about scratch and
                              managed it for about six months... he takes a copy of my opml file
                              onto his server, and stops pointing to mine. To boot, he removes
                              several of the sports podcasts. The archives of this and the
                              ipodder-dev group show what I went through to get the node setup. And
                              now people can't get added to the sports node since I stopped managing
                              it. No communication, no explanation... strange.

                              Enough of that. More importantly, podcast411 rocks... Count me as one
                              who "listens different".

                              Sam

                              Listen To Sports Podcasts
                              www.mysportsradio.com
                              Bang The Boards
                              boards.mysportsradio.com
                              iPod Shuffle Contest at
                              http://mysportsradio.com/?page_id=289
                            • Geoff Taylor
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 5, 2005
                                Hi,

                                I finally got the XML-RPC interface up and running (I think...) You should
                                be able to ping it using something like:

                                <%["xmlrpc://www.allpodcasts.com/PingAll/XmlRpc.ashx"].weblogUpdates.ping
                                ("My Feed Name", "http://MyHost.com/MyRssFile.xml") %>

                                As discussed here, I've put in a re-ping limit - you can't re-ping within 5
                                minutes, so that errant software doesn't break things for everyone. There's
                                no such restriction in the web interface though.

                                Also, the list of directories pinged now includes iPodder.org. If anyone
                                knows any others to include, please let me know.

                                Many thanks,

                                Geoff