Re: SoundExchange and Harry Fox Agency say no thanks

  • RadioMike Perazzetti
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
      Yes, I have been pretty much lurking from the beginning, but you have
      all been so forward with great links that I now have a rather extensive
      database of links in my bookmarks.

      I have also been doing a lot of extensive research regarding the whole
      music licensing issue and have poured out all of my thoughts at the NYC
      Podcasting meetup group bulletin board here:
      http://podcasting.meetup.com/33/boards/view/viewthread?thread=1384219

      If you can't get in to that to read it all (if you are interested), then
      the best thing to do is a painless and free register for the group.

      The upshot is that Soundexchange doesn't have a license to address this
      issue yet (they were only set up to deal with web streaming) and Harry
      Fox is not a licensing agency in the same way ASCAP/BMI/SESAC are. They
      are an agent for specific publishers and are also not issuing blanket
      licenses. They are issuing bulk download licenses which are Not the
      same thing.

      Something I did hear from a colleague of mine in the Austin Podcasting
      Network is that Apple does have some sort of Blanket downloading license
      (and a rather sweet contract with the record companies I have heard) for
      their own downloads and so they may be set up to start the next step: A
      downloading/mechanical blanket licensing agency for the music industry.
      It seems very plausible at any rate.

      Conclusion: We all need to get ASCAP/BMI/SESAC licenses. That's a
      given. Those licenses will also keep all of us LEGAL until such time
      the rest of the music industry catches up. If we put out that much
      effort to get the artists what they deserve in terms of publishing, we
      cannot be sued for a blanket license that does NOT exist yet. And as
      much as the Record Company execs hate downloads, they will have to come
      up with something or miss out on they piece of the pie.

      This is also probably why they declined to attend the convention.

      Mike Perazzetti
      http://www.thefeveredbrainofradiomike.com
      http://www.austinpodcasting.com