Re: show notes, search & play within podcasts

  • yoyolen
    Message 1 of 12 , May 31, 2005
      since Apple is supporting podcasting now in next iTunes, maybe they'll support something
      like we're talking about it the iPod. if devices could support it, what would need to be done
      on the pocast creation side?

      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Eley <SFEley@g...> wrote:
      > On 5/31/05, yoyolen <jyolen@m...> wrote:
      > >
      > > What I'm trying to understand is the issue of presenting information about the content
      > > that's within a podcast and letting users easily go to those "segments." Essentially, is
      it
      > > possible to provide show notes within the MP3 file that let people easily search and
      > > discover the content they want to get to, if they don't want to listen to the whole
      show. Or
      > > maybe it's doing a word search within the audio file. I'm sure that some people must
      be
      > > working on this issue or at least thinking about it. What's the current status and
      what's
      > > being planned in the future?
      >
      > These are good ideas, and yes, it's technically possible to solve
      > them. You can already include arbitrary tags in MP3 files; those tags
      > could possibly specify a table of contents, mapped to the number of
      > seconds to jump inside the file. Or something like that.
      >
      > The problem is that there's no standard for it, and no MP3 player or
      > software right now supports a "jump to a point inside the track"
      > feature. So you could include the information, but nobody has the
      > ability to use it. I think that for this to become implemented on
      > future generations of devices, podcasting or audiobooks would have to
      > become much more in demand than they are right now. As it stands,
      > almost all of MP3 player use is for music files, and there's no need
      > for such a feature in music.
      >

      > > Finally, are there any people I should contact that may be thinking about this issue?
      >
      > It wouldn't hurt to drop Apple or Microsoft a line. It's doubtful
      > it'd help much, but if several hundred or several thousand people
      > request a feature like this, you never know.
      >
      > --
      > Have Fun,
      > Steve Eley (sfeley@g...)
      > ESCAPE POD - the SF podcast magazine
      > http://escape.extraneous.org
    • Jacek Artymiak
      Message 2 of 12 , May 31, 2005
        On 5/31/05, yoyolen <jyolen@...> wrote:
        > Forgive me if this has been covered before, but I'm a newbie.
        >
        > What I'm trying to understand is the issue of presenting information about the content
        > that's within a podcast and letting users easily go to those "segments." Essentially, is it
        > possible to provide show notes within the MP3 file that let people easily search and
        > discover the content they want to get to, if they don't want to listen to the whole show. Or
        > maybe it's doing a word search within the audio file. I'm sure that some people must be
        > working on this issue or at least thinking about it. What's the current status and what's
        > being planned in the future?
        >
        > Finally, are there any people I should contact that may be thinking about this issue?
        >
        > Cheers

        My company is working on a solution to that problem. We'll be opening
        a beta program later this week. I'll let you all know what are the
        requirements for the participation in the beta program when we are
        ready to show you the software. It won't be long.

        --
        Jacek Artymiak
        devGuide.net
        Message 3 of 12 , May 31, 2005
          On May 31, 2005, at 12:47 PM, Jacek Artymiak wrote:

          > My company is working on a solution to that problem. We'll be opening
          > a beta program later this week. I'll let you all know what are the
          > requirements for the participation in the beta program when we are
          > ready to show you the software. It won't be long.
          >
          > --
          > Jacek Artymiak
          > devGuide.net

          Hi Jacek,

          Is this an Open Source project?

          Matt Terenzio

          Message 4 of 12 , May 31, 2005
            On 5/31/05, yoyolen <jyolen@...> wrote:
            > since Apple is supporting podcasting now in next iTunes, maybe they'll support something
            > like we're talking about it the iPod. if devices could support it, what would need to be done
            > on the pocast creation side?

            First, a standard would have to be devised and communicated. Until
            that step is done there'd really be no point in doing any work on any
            other part of the problem.

            Message 5 of 12 , May 31, 2005
              On 5/31/05, Matthew Terenzio <matt@...> wrote:

              > On May 31, 2005, at 12:47 PM, Jacek Artymiak wrote:
              >
              > > My company is working on a solution to that problem. We'll be opening
              > > a beta program later this week. I'll let you all know what are the
              > > requirements for the participation in the beta program when we are
              > > ready to show you the software. It won't be long.
              > >
              > > --
              > > Jacek Artymiak
              > > devGuide.net
              >

              > Hi Jacek,
              >
              > Is this an Open Source project?
              >
              > Matt Terenzio

              No, but it uses standards and formats for which documentation is
              freely available on the Internet. We want to make moving data in and
              out of our software as easy as possible. It will be quite inexpensive.

              --
              Jacek Artymiak
              devGuide.net
              Message 6 of 12 , May 31, 2005
                Would anyone have some good links on podcasting with a PC? I've got the
                creation of the audio part down, it's the xml/rss on the PC part that I need
                advice and tools for. Thanks!

              • Jacek Artymiak
                Message 7 of 12 , May 31, 2005
                  On 5/31/05, Ted Matsumura <matsumura@...> wrote:
                  > Would anyone have some good links on podcasting with a PC? I've got the
                  > creation of the audio part down, it's the xml/rss on the PC part that I need
                  > advice and tools for. Thanks!

                  If you want automatic blog/rss creation after you upload your podcast,
                  I'd recommend http://www.libsyn.com

                  --
                  Jacek Artymiak
                  devGuide.net
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 31, 2005
                    Quoting Ted Matsumura <matsumura@...>:

                    > Would anyone have some good links on podcasting with a PC?
                    > I've got the
                    > creation of the audio part down, it's the xml/rss on the PC
                    > part that I need
                    > advice and tools for. Thanks!

                    Take a look at a free XML/RSS creator called Podifier
                    (http://www.pofifier.com) if you want to roll your own.

                    HTH,
                    Dennis

                    --
                    Dennis Hays
                    http://www.HaysDesign.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 31, 2005
                      Quoting Dennis Hays <dhays@...>:

                      > Quoting Ted Matsumura <matsumura@...>:
                      >
                      > > Would anyone have some good links on podcasting with a PC?
                      > > I've got the
                      > > creation of the audio part down, it's the xml/rss on the PC
                      > > part that I need
                      > > advice and tools for. Thanks!
                      >
                      > Take a look at a free XML/RSS creator called Podifier
                      > (http://www.pofifier.com) if you want to roll your own.

                      Whoops! That should have been:
                      http://www.podifier.com

                      Dennis

                      --
                      Dennis Hays
                      http://www.HaysDesign.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 31, 2005
                        We include an RSS builder in jPodder. 0.9.
                        Please give it a try.

                        www.jpodder.com