Re: [podcasters] Re: If you had a radio station for two hours....

  • Andrew Dubber
    Message 1 of 26 , May 31, 2005
      > Like other evolutionary technology developments in the history of
      > content distribution over the past century, it will inevitably serve a
      > complementary distribution function.

      Here we agree - it is evolutionary rather than a distinctive break
      from prior media. But this does not mean that it is the same thing,
      nor that the same rules should apply.

      However, I would probably argue in favour of the RIAA recognising
      podcasts as akin to ephemeral programming (like radio), rather than as
      music downloads - though there is some milage in the idea that
      podcasts occupy some as yet undefined territory inbetween.

      And it is for precisely that kind of reason that we need to identify
      podcasting as a new medium with its own media ecology. New
      technologies require new laws - particularly in the area of copyright.

      Arguing that it is the same as any other medium is the same logic that
      leads the Recording Industry to claim an automatic expansion of its
      authority to control and exploit content by default every time a new
      device or technique enters the market.

      Cheers,

      Dubber
      --