Re: If you had a radio station for two hours....

  • PBCliberal
    Message 1 of 26 , May 30, 2005
      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "George Cruickshank"
      <georgivs@n...> wrote:
      > Nonsense.
      >
      > The bottom line is that podcasting is simply the automated IP-based
      > version of what people have been doing to a limited extent with
      > radio, and a much more extensive extent with TV for decades
      > - namely recording material off air and time-shifting it.

      That's wonderful news. If podcasting is just automated radio, then we
      are exempt from the requirements of the Digital Millenium Copyright
      Act that requires us license the performance in a recording as well as
      the underlying intellectual property in the song itself (usually held
      by publishing companies affiliated with ASCAP or BMI).

      Or perhaps you didn't understand what Andrew Dubber was saying?

      I understand the mentality that wants to treat podcasting like radio.
      It's the same mentality that wanted to treat talking motion pictures
      like variety vaudeville and resulted in some great movies like Duck
      Soup and A Day at the Races.

      But when directors realized that while you could use the new medium to
      automate the old medium and present the same kind of content, you
      could also expand the new medium to play to some strengths that the
      old didn't have, we saw some truly groundbreaking motion pictures.

      Stay in the past if you want, but this is a new medium with new
      possibilities that still retains all the old possibilities and can act
      very much like radio, if you choose to use it that way.
    • George Cruickshank
      Message 2 of 26 , May 30, 2005
        I have not said or implied that I don't recognise the challenges and
        opportunities of podcasting - merely that it is not a particularly
        original or earth-shattering concept.

        It is convenient for content consumers, and it puts content production
        within reach of people who have ideas that often deserve to be more
        widely disseminated - both of which are positive developments.

        Like other evolutionary technology developments in the history of
        content distribution over the past century, it will inevitably serve a
        complementary distribution function.

        George

        > The bottom line is that podcasting is simply the automated IP-based
        > version of what people have been doing to a limited extent with
        > radio, and a much more extensive extent with TV for decades
        > - namely recording material off air and time-shifting it.

        That's wonderful news. If podcasting is just automated radio, then we
        are exempt from the requirements of the Digital Millenium Copyright
        Act that requires us license the performance in a recording as well as
        the underlying intellectual property in the song itself (usually held
        by publishing companies affiliated with ASCAP or BMI).

        Or perhaps you didn't understand what Andrew Dubber was saying?

        I understand the mentality that wants to treat podcasting like radio.
        It's the same mentality that wanted to treat talking motion pictures
        like variety vaudeville and resulted in some great movies like Duck
        Soup and A Day at the Races.

        But when directors realized that while you could use the new medium to
        automate the old medium and present the same kind of content, you
        could also expand the new medium to play to some strengths that the
        old didn't have, we saw some truly groundbreaking motion pictures.

        Stay in the past if you want, but this is a new medium with new
        possibilities that still retains all the old possibilities and can act
        very much like radio, if you choose to use it that way.

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Andrew Dubber
        Message 3 of 26 , May 31, 2005
          > Like other evolutionary technology developments in the history of
          > content distribution over the past century, it will inevitably serve a
          > complementary distribution function.

          Here we agree - it is evolutionary rather than a distinctive break
          from prior media. But this does not mean that it is the same thing,
          nor that the same rules should apply.

          However, I would probably argue in favour of the RIAA recognising
          podcasts as akin to ephemeral programming (like radio), rather than as
          music downloads - though there is some milage in the idea that
          podcasts occupy some as yet undefined territory inbetween.

          And it is for precisely that kind of reason that we need to identify
          podcasting as a new medium with its own media ecology. New
          technologies require new laws - particularly in the area of copyright.

          Arguing that it is the same as any other medium is the same logic that
          leads the Recording Industry to claim an automatic expansion of its
          authority to control and exploit content by default every time a new
          device or technique enters the market.

          Cheers,

          Dubber
          --