SoundExchange and Harry Fox Agency say no thanks

  • Tim Bourquin
    Message 1 of 13 , May 26 11:35 AM
      For you music podcasters out there, SoundExchange and the Harry Fox
      agency have said no thanks to providing a speaker for the "Music in
      Podcasting" panel at Podcast & Portable Media Expo.

      I have heard rumors that RIAA will send someone but haven't heard from
      them directly yet.

      It seems even when we try to open a dialogue with them (the licensing
      agencies) they refuse - disappointing.

      I know, I know - there's no need to use signed bands when there is so
      much great independant stuff out there to use - and I agree. But at
      some point the conversation needs to take place. I was just hoping to
      do it sooner than later.

      Tim Bourquin
      http://www.PodcastBrothers.com
    • Harold Johnson
      Message 2 of 13 , May 26 12:19 PM
        Someone should get ahold of Hillary Rosen; now that she's no longer
        heading the RIAA she seems to be more open to music downloading. She
        recently expressed some disappointment about her iTunes not being able
        to be transferred from one device to another; maybe she'll want to
        provide her views on podcasting (and licensing).

        Harold J. Johnson
        audioblogs.info:
        information on audioblogs
        http://www.audioblogs.info

        On 5/26/05, Tim Bourquin <tim@...> wrote:
        > For you music podcasters out there, SoundExchange and the Harry Fox
        > agency have said no thanks to providing a speaker for the "Music in
        > Podcasting" panel at Podcast & Portable Media Expo.
        >
        > I have heard rumors that RIAA will send someone but haven't heard from
        > them directly yet.
        >
        > It seems even when we try to open a dialogue with them (the licensing
        > agencies) they refuse - disappointing.
        >
        > I know, I know - there's no need to use signed bands when there is so
        > much great independant stuff out there to use - and I agree. But at
        > some point the conversation needs to take place. I was just hoping to
        > do it sooner than later.
        >
        > Tim Bourquin
        > http://www.PodcastBrothers.com

      • Michael Butler
        Message 3 of 13 , May 26 1:05 PM
          They don't have a clue. Screw them.

          On 5/26/05, Tim Bourquin <tim@...> wrote:
          > For you music podcasters out there, SoundExchange and the Harry Fox
          > agency have said no thanks to providing a speaker for the "Music in
          > Podcasting" panel at Podcast & Portable Media Expo.
          >
          > I have heard rumors that RIAA will send someone but haven't heard from
          > them directly yet.
          >
          > It seems even when we try to open a dialogue with them (the licensing
          > agencies) they refuse - disappointing.
          >
          > I know, I know - there's no need to use signed bands when there is so
          > much great independant stuff out there to use - and I agree. But at
          > some point the conversation needs to take place. I was just hoping to
          > do it sooner than later.
          >
          > Tim Bourquin
          > http://www.PodcastBrothers.com

          The Rock and Roll Geek Show

          The Greatest Rock and Roll That You Have
          Probably Never Heard. Interviews and
          Geek Talk from a Rock and Roll Geek.

          http://www.rockandrollgeek.com
        • Rob Usdin
          Message 4 of 13 , May 26 1:39 PM
            Yeah but Michael you're still playing licensed music on your podcast. Aren't you worried about getting sued?

            --*Rob

            From: Michael Butler <rockandrollgeek@...>
            Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 13:05:17 -0700

            ><tt>
            >They don't have a clue. Screw them.<BR>
            ><BR>
            ><BR>
            ><BR>
            >On 5/26/05, Tim Bourquin <tim@...> wrote:<BR>
            >> For you music podcasters out there, SoundExchange and the Harry Fox<BR>
            >> agency have said no thanks to providing a speaker for the "Music in<BR>
            >> Podcasting" panel at Podcast & Portable Media Expo.<BR>
            >> <BR>
            >> I have heard rumors that RIAA will send someone but haven't heard from<BR>
            >> them directly yet.<BR>
            >> <BR>
            >> It seems even when we try to open a dialogue with them (the licensing<BR>
            >> agencies) they refuse - disappointing.<BR>
            >> <BR>
            >> I know, I know - there's no need to use signed bands when there is so<BR>
            >> much great independant stuff out there to use - and I agree. But at<BR>
            >> some point the conversation needs to take place. I was just hoping to<BR>
            >> do it sooner than later.<BR>
            >> <BR>
            >> Tim Bourquin<BR>
            >> <BR>
            >> <BR>
            >> <BR>
            >> <BR>
            >> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service. <BR>
            ><BR>
            ><BR>
            >-- <BR>
            >The Rock and Roll Geek Show<BR>
            ><BR>
            ><BR>
            >The Greatest Rock and Roll That You Have <BR>
            >Probably Never Heard. Interviews and <BR>
            >Geek Talk from a Rock and Roll Geek.<BR>
            ><BR>
            ></tt>
            >

            ><!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

            ><tt><hr width="500">
            ><ul>
            ></ul>
            ></tt>
            >
            ><!-- |**|end egp html banner|**| -->

          • James W. Anderson
            Message 5 of 13 , May 26 1:39 PM
              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Michael Butler
              <rockandrollgeek@g...> wrote:
              > They don't have a clue. Screw them.

              'And all of them say/almost all of the way/Screw you, screw you, screw
              you'.

              ---Screw You (Young Man's Blues), Elton John (Bernie Taupin), 1973.

              The RIAA should be trying to promote the music, not cheating and lying
              about people, they should support what podcasting can do for them as
              well as everybody else.

              {//////////> them anyway.
            • Michael Butler
              Message 6 of 13 , May 26 4:07 PM
                I have several licenses that cover myself but that is not the issue.
                The labels have the biggest marketing opportunity with podcasting
                since Napster and they probably don't realize it.

                Message 7 of 13 , May 26 4:35 PM
                  But how can you have licenses that cover you on your podcast when they
                  aren't available from Sound Exchange and The HArry Fox Agency yet?

                  I'm askin' because I'd love to start a podcast and play RIAA music but it
                  does not appear to me that there is a license that will allow me to do this
                  yet. If I am wrong please correct me so I can know.

                  In fact Adam Curry said either in a recent Daily Source Code or on his site
                  that anyone who played RIAA music in their podcast all the while putting
                  their name right on the podcast was "just plain stupid."

                  I understand what you mean about the labels having a big marketing
                  opportunity, and I agree on that point.

                  But just like you play relatively obscure RIAA stuff on your podcast so too
                  would I like to do that but it does not seem that I can do that at this
                  time. Where are the licenses? Can you point me to which licenses you have
                  and the costs?

                  --*Rob

                  _____

                  On 5/26/05, Rob Usdin <rob@...> wrote:
                  > Yeah but Michael you're still playing licensed music on your podcast.
                  > Aren't you worried about getting sued?
                  >
                  > --*Rob

                  up/podcasters/</a><BR>
                  > >> <BR>
                  > >> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:<BR>
                  > >> podcasters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<BR>
                  > >> <BR>
                  > >> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
                  > <BR>
                  > ><BR>
                  > ><BR>
                  > >-- <BR>
                  > >The Rock and Roll Geek Show<BR>
                  > ><BR>
                  > ><BR>
                  > >The Greatest Rock and Roll That You Have <BR>
                  > >Probably Never Heard. Interviews and <BR>
                  > >Geek Talk from a Rock and Roll Geek.<BR>
                  > ><BR>
                  > ><a

                  href="http://www.rockandrollgeek.com">http://www.rockandrollgeek.com</a><BR>
                  > ></tt>
                  > >

                  > ><!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

                  > ><tt><hr width="500">
                  > ><ul>
                  > ><li>To visit your group on the web, go to:<br><a

                  up/podcasters/</a><br>
                  > ><li>To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:<br><a

                  > ><li>Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the <a
                  > href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/">Yahoo! Terms of
                  > Service</a>.
                  > ></ul>
                  > ></tt>
                  > >
                  > ><!-- |**|end egp html banner|**| -->

                  The Rock and Roll Geek Show

                  The Greatest Rock and Roll That You Have
                  Probably Never Heard. Interviews and
                  Geek Talk from a Rock and Roll Geek.

                  http://www.rockandrollgeek.com

                  _____

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Message 8 of 13 , May 26 7:50 PM
                    You go Michael, and I mean it. Remember what Jack Black said in that
                    movie "School of Rock": It's about stickin' it to the man! So rock on
                    and rock well, keep your ass covered as best as possible, and keep
                    playing that music, licensed or no--

                    Waitaminute, where did that come from? I'm a member of AMP! I should
                    be more respectful of copyright, right? Well, I am, but that RIAA
                    better begin paying attention to podcasters in a good way, or in the
                    near future they're not going to have any respectful artists to make
                    money off of anymore. All the great recording artists will have
                    defected to un-RIAA labels which allow for podcast distribution...

                    Harold J. Johnson
                    VoyagerRadio's
                    Tempo of the Down
                    http://voyagerradio.com

                  • Matthew Wayne Selznick
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 26 10:29 PM
                      Tim Bourquin wrote:
                      >snip<
                      > I know, I know - there's no need to use signed bands when there is so
                      > much great independant stuff out there to use - and I agree. But at
                      > some point the conversation needs to take place.
                      >snip<

                      Why?

                      --
                      Matthew Wayne Selznick
                      MWS Media
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 27 3:40 AM
                        <rockandrollgeek@g...> wrote:
                        > I have several licenses that cover myself but that is not the issue.

                        Well it kind of is. Quite a few of us would like to play RIAA music
                        on our podcasts. Apparently there is a way to do it as you have just
                        claimed as such.
                      • Rob Usdin
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 31 5:56 PM
                          I'm guessing that the lack of response to this message posted 5 days ago
                          speaks volumes.

                          --*Rob

                          _____

                          Message 12 of 13 , May 31 7:37 PM
                            Months ago I heard that famous podcaster play a song by a band who I
                            would guess was RIAA, being that he expressed something to the effect
                            of "Ah, the hell with it. Let them sue me." (I won't name the band;
                            let the RIAA dogs fish through archived podcasts to find out, I'm not
                            going to do their dirty work for them.)

                            In fact, I'd bet many of us have treaded the boundaries when it comes
                            to playing licensed music/material; many podcasters may not even be
                            aware that they've "broken the law", recording their podcasts with
                            their televisions blaring MTV videos in the background...

                            Harold "Skirting the Law" Johnson
                            http://SomethingThatHappened.com

                            On 5/26/05, Rob Usdin <rob@...> wrote:

                            > In fact Adam Curry said either in a recent Daily Source Code or on his site
                            > that anyone who played RIAA music in their podcast all the while putting
                            > their name right on the podcast was "just plain stupid."
                          • RadioMike Perazzetti
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
                              Yes, I have been pretty much lurking from the beginning, but you have
                              all been so forward with great links that I now have a rather extensive
                              database of links in my bookmarks.

                              I have also been doing a lot of extensive research regarding the whole
                              music licensing issue and have poured out all of my thoughts at the NYC
                              Podcasting meetup group bulletin board here:
                              http://podcasting.meetup.com/33/boards/view/viewthread?thread=1384219

                              If you can't get in to that to read it all (if you are interested), then
                              the best thing to do is a painless and free register for the group.

                              The upshot is that Soundexchange doesn't have a license to address this
                              issue yet (they were only set up to deal with web streaming) and Harry
                              Fox is not a licensing agency in the same way ASCAP/BMI/SESAC are. They
                              are an agent for specific publishers and are also not issuing blanket
                              licenses. They are issuing bulk download licenses which are Not the
                              same thing.

                              Something I did hear from a colleague of mine in the Austin Podcasting
                              Network is that Apple does have some sort of Blanket downloading license
                              (and a rather sweet contract with the record companies I have heard) for
                              their own downloads and so they may be set up to start the next step: A
                              downloading/mechanical blanket licensing agency for the music industry.
                              It seems very plausible at any rate.

                              Conclusion: We all need to get ASCAP/BMI/SESAC licenses. That's a
                              given. Those licenses will also keep all of us LEGAL until such time
                              the rest of the music industry catches up. If we put out that much
                              effort to get the artists what they deserve in terms of publishing, we
                              cannot be sued for a blanket license that does NOT exist yet. And as
                              much as the Record Company execs hate downloads, they will have to come
                              up with something or miss out on they piece of the pie.

                              This is also probably why they declined to attend the convention.

                              Mike Perazzetti
                              http://www.thefeveredbrainofradiomike.com
                              http://www.austinpodcasting.com