NEWBIE POST: podcasts and radio userland

  • Dale Hugo
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 11, 2004
      Ok, I am not all that technical so please be patient. I might be trying to do something that
      cannot be done.

      Okay, I have a site that I created for the soul purpose of both hosting a blog and podcasts.
      I use Radio Userland to administer the site via ftp. The site is http://www.atomiccity.org
      A second page or Radio Category will host the podcasts, http://www.atomiccity.org/
      categories/podcasts.

      So, two stupid questions:
      1) How can I use Radio to upload new MP3 files for the use of podcasts and create the RSS
      enclosures? Is there a varient on the "My Pictures" tool that has been hacked and will
      work? Or is there another method? Again, big words confuse me :-)

      2) I get an RSS feed from the podcasts page but I cannot seem to edit the title on the feed.
      I edited the #prefs file and the #rss file but still get my name as opposed to the title. Any
      suggestions.

      Once I work out the first issue Atomic City Health and Fitness will be on the air!

      BTW, working on MacOS X.

      Many thanks,
      Dale
    • Dale Hugo
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 12, 2004
        > So, two stupid questions:
        > 1) How can I use Radio to upload new MP3 files for the use of podcasts and create the
        RSS
        > enclosures? Is there a varient on the "My Pictures" tool that has been hacked and will
        > work? Or is there another method? Again, big words confuse me :-)

        I got this working but it is a kludge at best. I set up a folder on the server. I ftp the mp3
        file to that folder. I then enabled enclosures on Radio and when I make a post I use the
        URL of the enclosure. It works but it beats me what the "Enclosure" folder on my desktop
        machine is for.

        > 2) I get an RSS feed from the podcasts page but I cannot seem to edit the title on the
        feed.
        > I edited the #prefs file and the #rss file but still get my name as opposed to the title.
        Any
        > suggestions.

        I would like to fix this as it is annoying as hell but not critical. Now all I have to do is
        record and post!

        Dale
      • Adam Curry
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 12, 2004
          Make sure Radio Userland is running then click this link:
          http://127.0.0.1:5335/system/pages/prefs?page=5.9
          Scroll to the bottom and select the checkbox that says: "Check this box
          if you want to be able to add enclosures to your own output channels.
          (A new field will appear on the desktop website home page.)"

          Then go to your radio homepage and you will see a new field that allows
          you to enter a url for an enclosure to a new post.
          You will need to upload your mp3 file somewhere else first where it is
          web-reachable.

          AC

          On Oct 12, 2004, at 2:16 AM, Dale Hugo wrote:

          > Ok, I am not all that technical so please be patient. I might be
          > trying to do something that
          > cannot be done.
          >
          > Okay, I have a site that I created for the soul purpose of both
          > hosting a blog and podcasts.
          > I use Radio Userland to administer the site via ftp. The site is
          > http://www.atomiccity.org
          > A second page or Radio Category will host the podcasts,
          > http://www.atomiccity.org/
          > categories/podcasts.
          >
          > So, two stupid questions:
          > 1) How can I use Radio to upload new MP3 files for the use of
          > podcasts and create the RSS
          > enclosures? Is there a varient on the "My Pictures" tool that has
          > been hacked and will
          > work? Or is there another method? Again, big words confuse me :-)
          >
          > 2) I get an RSS feed from the podcasts page but I cannot seem to edit
          > the title on the feed.
          > I edited the #prefs file and the #rss file but still get my name as
          > opposed to the title. Any
          > suggestions.
          >
          > Once I work out the first issue Atomic City Health and Fitness will be
          > on the air!
          >
          > BTW, working on MacOS X.
          >
          > Many thanks,
          > Dale

        • Dale Hugo
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 12, 2004
            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Adam Curry <adam@c...> wrote:
            > Make sure Radio Userland is running then click this link:
            > http://127.0.0.1:5335/system/pages/prefs?page=5.9
            > Scroll to the bottom and select the checkbox that says: "Check
            this box
            > if you want to be able to add enclosures to your own output
            channels.
            > (A new field will appear on the desktop website home page.)"
            >
            > Then go to your radio homepage and you will see a new field that
            allows
            > you to enter a url for an enclosure to a new post.
            > You will need to upload your mp3 file somewhere else first where
            it is
            > web-reachable.
            >
            > AC

            Thanks, Adam. That is what I ended up doing in the end. Glad I
            could figure it out. Even gladder that you replied. It was a
            welcomed sanity check!

            I am getting there, step by step.

            Many thanks,
            Dale
            http://www.atomiccity.com

            BTW, your iPodder welcome message is currently on this web site as a
            place holder and will be removed by the end of the day. I needed a
            test MP3 file to play with. Thanks again.