Re: [podcasters] Re: bandwidth (BitTorrent Convo)

  • Lucas Gonze
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 3, 2004
      On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, Eric Rice wrote:
      > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Lucas Gonze <lgonze@p...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm curious -- are there any BitTorrrent-only audiobloggers yet?
      >

      > I forgot who told me that when they went from BitTorrent-only to MP3, their listeners
      > quadrupled.

      Not a surprise! Doing a BT-only show is a big raised middle finger, but
      then again giving the finger to the world is an honorable tradition.

      - Lucas
    • Pete Prodoehl
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 3, 2004
        Lucas Gonze wrote:

        > On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, Gregory Narain wrote:
        >
        >>I'd also have to wonder how Windows XP with SP2 reacts to BitTorrent..
        >>does the user get a ton of alerts and warnings. We're training people
        >>that those alerts are bad.. it would not be good in general to try to
        >>teach them to make holes.
        >>
        >>I have to agree with Harold also that BitTorrent tends to gain value as
        >>the size of the distribution network grows. This is fine and and dandy
        >>for Adam Curry with 50K listeners, but what about the newbies with
        >>0-200? We need to encourage the deployment of Podcasts in all formats
        >>on all fronts.
        >

        > It would help smaller podcasters to arrange a time for BT users to meet
        > up. Something like:
        > <enclosure meetup="1,*,*,*,*"/>
        >
        > ...with the time spec above being the same as for crontab.

        Yup, good, if not geeky idea... That's the thing about BitTorrent, it
        depends on people all wanting the file *at the same time* right?

        Going the super-geeky route, build me a podcasting client that can
        accept notifications and then ping it to make it join the BitTorrent fun
        at an appropriate time.

        So at 2:18 AM it gets notified that a new Daily Source Code is available
        and it then initiates the whole BitTorrent thing, in unison with all the
        other zombies out there doing the same thing.

        Crazy? I dunno...

        Pete
      • Jason @ Insomnia Radio
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 3, 2004
          Originally my show was BT-only. upon switching to Mp3, my subscribers doubled.
          Remember what RSS stands for: Really Simple Syndication. The whole BT
          angle does not simplify Podcasting.

          Have a look at http://www.ipodio.com/2004/12/01.html#a13
          He makes a good point. With solutions like libsyn.org emerging,
          charging only for storage space, not bandwidth, BT is becoming less of
          a necessity....

          Just my two cents.

          On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 11:18:49 -1000 (HST), Lucas Gonze <lgonze@...> wrote:

          > On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, Gregory Narain wrote:
          >
          > > I'd also have to wonder how Windows XP with SP2 reacts to BitTorrent..
          > > does the user get a ton of alerts and warnings. We're training people
          > > that those alerts are bad.. it would not be good in general to try to
          > > teach them to make holes.
          > >
          > > I have to agree with Harold also that BitTorrent tends to gain value as
          > > the size of the distribution network grows. This is fine and and dandy
          > > for Adam Curry with 50K listeners, but what about the newbies with
          > > 0-200? We need to encourage the deployment of Podcasts in all formats
          > > on all fronts.
          >
          > It would help smaller podcasters to arrange a time for BT users to meet
          > up. Something like:
          > <enclosure meetup="1,*,*,*,*"/>
          >
          > ...with the time spec above being the same as for crontab.
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Jason Evangelho
          Insomnia Radio: Powered by iPodio
          http://hardcoreinsomniaradio.blogspot.com
          RSS Feed:
          http://webpages.charter.net/jevangelho01/IR.xml
          IndieFeed Podcast
          http://www.indiefeed.com
          AIM: hardcoreinsomnia
          Skype: hardcoreinsomnia
          MSN: jason_evangelho@...

          "The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too
          strong to be broken."
          ~Samuel Johnson
        • ecomputerd
          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 3, 2004
            While I believe that both "standard" download and BT download should
            both be available on all enclosures, BT still adds significant
            value.

            1) BT allows the exponential growth of and automatic scaling of
            available bandwidth with popularity.

            2) The "emergence" of new bandwidth-agnostic hosting services is not
            equivalent to unlimited bandwidth available from those hosts. Nor is
            it equivalent to free bandwidth six months from now as larger and
            larger files get casted.

            3) Imagine 50,000 subcribers to a one-hour video program at an
            almost VCR quality of 0.5GB per file. Or even 5000 subscribers.
            BitTorrent can handle this today.

            4) The matra of "S is for Simple" while valiant is not always
            applicable. Having just written an aggregator, the existence of 6 or
            so different "standards" is by definition not simple. Claiming
            adding one thing to one of the RSS standards automatically makes
            that particular version of the RSS "standard" less simple and
            therefore should not be implemented is ignoring the fact that there
            are multiple "standards" of RSS that aggregators need to support
            (although this of course doesn't imply we can anything to any of
            the "standards".)

            5) Claiming BT is associated with piracy and we (podcasters) should
            not associate ourselves with that (as the linked article suggests)
            is ignoring a perfectly suited technology because some people have
            incorrect connotations. Legal podcasting will grow because people
            will want to listen and watch. In addition (IMHO) BitTorrent will
            not be directly "associated" with podcasting because users will be
            running Aggregators and Podcatchers, not BitTorrent clients. IMHO,
            BitTorrent will become the "transport" of podcasting, as
            recognizable to the general public as FTP, HTTP and TCP.

            Bandwidth-agnostic hosting services will have their place, but it
            won't be for reliable large-file, numerous-subscriber vidcasting.

            I don't mean this to be rude at all. I hope to encourage discussion.

            Comments?

            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Jason @ Insomnia Radio"
            <jasonevangelho@g...> wrote:
            > Originally my show was BT-only. upon switching to Mp3, my
            subscribers doubled.
            > Remember what RSS stands for: Really Simple Syndication. The whole
            BT
            > angle does not simplify Podcasting.
            >
            > Have a look at http://www.ipodio.com/2004/12/01.html#a13
            > He makes a good point. With solutions like libsyn.org emerging,
            > charging only for storage space, not bandwidth, BT is becoming
            less of
            > a necessity....
            >
            > Just my two cents.
            >

            > On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 11:18:49 -1000 (HST), Lucas Gonze <lgonze@p...>
            wrote:

            > > On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, Gregory Narain wrote:
            > >
            > > > I'd also have to wonder how Windows XP with SP2 reacts to
            BitTorrent..
            > > > does the user get a ton of alerts and warnings. We're
            training people
            > > > that those alerts are bad.. it would not be good in general
            to try to
            > > > teach them to make holes.
            > > >
            > > > I have to agree with Harold also that BitTorrent tends to
            gain value as
            > > > the size of the distribution network grows. This is fine and
            and dandy
            > > > for Adam Curry with 50K listeners, but what about the newbies
            with
            > > > 0-200? We need to encourage the deployment of Podcasts in
            all formats
            > > > on all fronts.
            > >
            > > It would help smaller podcasters to arrange a time for BT users
            to meet
            > > up. Something like:
            > > <enclosure meetup="1,*,*,*,*"/>
            > >
            > > ...with the time spec above being the same as for crontab.
            > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Service.

            > --
            > Jason Evangelho
            > Insomnia Radio: Powered by iPodio
            > http://hardcoreinsomniaradio.blogspot.com
            > RSS Feed:
            > http://webpages.charter.net/jevangelho01/IR.xml
            > IndieFeed Podcast
            > http://www.indiefeed.com
            > AIM: hardcoreinsomnia
            > Skype: hardcoreinsomnia
            > MSN: jason_evangelho@m...
            >
            > "The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too
            > strong to be broken."
            > ~Samuel Johnson
          • Harold Johnson
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 3, 2004
              I agree with Eric, more or less; BitTorrent just "doesn't feel right"
              when it comes to matching the simplicity of the iPodder clients. Yet
              I also think there's an opportunity for podcasting to rebrand the idea
              of filesharing in the public's imagination. The RIAA and MPAA have
              been pounding the notion that there's no place for BitTorrent and
              other filesharing programs in today's world, yet here we have one such
              utilization (podcasting) that is rapidly taking off, and why not show
              the children that sharing is (and always has been) okay?

              So how do we do that? The most downloaded podcasts could certainly
              benefit from the torrenting technology, but we've already covered
              that. How about this: We know that BitTorrent is perfect for
              distributing large files. So why not use it to get only the really
              huge packages out there, like a package of podcasts for newcomers?

              I'll give you an example. Let's say new iPodder users are only served
              the latest podcast so that their bandwidth is not overwhelmed with all
              their subscriptions. (Isn't that how some iPodder clients are working
              right now?) If they like your podcast, they'll probably be interested
              in hearing some of your past podcasts. We can provide packages of all
              our archived podcasts and distribute them as torrents.

              (Okay, maybe that was a really obvious use. Hey, I tried.)

              Harold

              On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 00:15:07 -0000, ecomputerd <ecomputerd@...> wrote:

              > 5) Claiming BT is associated with piracy and we (podcasters) should
              > not associate ourselves with that (as the linked article suggests)
              > is ignoring a perfectly suited technology because some people have
              > incorrect connotations. Legal podcasting will grow because people
              > will want to listen and watch. In addition (IMHO) BitTorrent will
              > not be directly "associated" with podcasting because users will be
              > running Aggregators and Podcatchers, not BitTorrent clients. IMHO,
              > BitTorrent will become the "transport" of podcasting, as
              > recognizable to the general public as FTP, HTTP and TCP.
            • Eric Rice
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 3, 2004
                I agree with all points except #4. Simplicity is *vital* for mass appeal. Beyond the nerd.

                And mass appeal of micro-content? THAT is what shakes up the big boys.

                Eric :-)
                EricRice.com

                --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "ecomputerd" <ecomputerd@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                > with
                > all formats
                > > >
                > > > It would help smaller podcasters to arrange a time for BT users
                > to meet
                > > > up. Something like:
                > > > <enclosure meetup="1,*,*,*,*"/>
                > > >
                > > > ...with the time spec above being the same as for crontab.
                > > >

                > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                > Service.
                > >

                > > --
                > > Jason Evangelho
                > > Insomnia Radio: Powered by iPodio
                > > http://hardcoreinsomniaradio.blogspot.com
                > > RSS Feed:
                > > http://webpages.charter.net/jevangelho01/IR.xml
                > > IndieFeed Podcast
                > > http://www.indiefeed.com
                > > AIM: hardcoreinsomnia
                > > Skype: hardcoreinsomnia
                > > MSN: jason_evangelho@m...
                > >
                > > "The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too
              • ecomputerd
                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 3, 2004
                  Simplicity for users is vital for mass appeal, but simplicity for
                  aggregator writers is less so, but I am assuming backward
                  compatibility so that at its basic implementation, it gets no more
                  complicated for podcatcher writers. Extra features can and should be
                  offered to enable more functionality. Even after all
                  my "complaining" about RSS's non-simplicity, it actually is not that
                  complicated. Adding BT is not (or shouldn't be made) more
                  complicated from the podcatchers point of view. Adding *optional* BT
                  does not complicate the podcatcher writer, aside from a new ignored
                  value/element/attribute. It only complicates those podcatcher
                  authors that choose to implement it. Which will (actually: has)
                  catch (caught) on quickly because of demand.

                  Enjoying the conversation!

                  --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Rice" <eric@e...> wrote:

> [...]
                  <lgonze@p...>

                  > > BitTorrent..
                  > > training people
                  > > to try to

                  > > gain value as
                  > > and dandy
                  > > with
                  > > all formats

                  > > to meet

                  > > Service.
                  > > >

                  > > > --
                  > > > Jason Evangelho
                  > > > Insomnia Radio: Powered by iPodio
                  > > > http://hardcoreinsomniaradio.blogspot.com
                  > > > RSS Feed:
                  > > > http://webpages.charter.net/jevangelho01/IR.xml
                  > > > IndieFeed Podcast
                  > > > http://www.indiefeed.com
                  > > > AIM: hardcoreinsomnia
                  > > > Skype: hardcoreinsomnia
                  > > > MSN: jason_evangelho@m...
                  > > >
                  > > > "The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are
                • Thomas Gaume
                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 3, 2004
                    <jasonevangelho@g...> wrote:
                    > He makes a good point. With solutions like libsyn.org emerging,
                    > charging only for storage space, not bandwidth, BT is becoming less of
                    > a necessity....

                    Read closer my friend, libsyn is based on Bittorrent:

                    From http://www.libsyn.org/features.php under Unmetered bandwidth:

                    "One of the biggest issues facing the early pioneers of podcasting is
                    the bandwidth usage. We have a planned architecture of distributed
                    downloads across multiple servers where the most recent, high-demand
                    media files are served from faster, larger pipes, and older, archived
                    material is still available, however from lower speed connections.
                    Once bit torrent becomes fully integrated into the podcasting
                    software, our structure and design will really flourish. It will be as
                    simple as a user uploading a media file, say an MP3 for example, the
                    file is automatically encoded into a .torrent, tracked by our
                    trackers, and seeded on our servers. Once the demand dies down, the
                    file is archived where it will still be available via direct download."

                    Also be aware that they control the RSS feed. So if you have a blog
                    associated with your podcast the two would never match.

                    2cents

                    Tom @ ipodio
                  • Olivier
                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 4, 2004
                      'morning,

                      > other filesharing programs in today's world, yet here we have one such
                      > utilization (podcasting) that is rapidly taking off, and why not show
                      > the children that sharing is (and always has been) okay?

                      It's funny to see that RIAA and MPAA and local organisations in each
                      country are against sharing, when it's obvious for parents to teach
                      their children they must share their toys with their friends.
                      You're right Harold, we have to show that sharing is good, not only for
                      toys, but for music, culture, history, knowledge, too.

                      > I'll give you an example. Let's say new iPodder users are only served
                      > the latest podcast so that their bandwidth is not overwhelmed with all
                      > their subscriptions. (Isn't that how some iPodder clients are working
                      > right now?) If they like your podcast, they'll probably be interested
                      > in hearing some of your past podcasts. We can provide packages of all
                      > our archived podcasts and distribute them as torrents.

                      I think you're right in the way that the net is big enough so the memory
                      of any show can stay alive for ages, and still be available from
                      anywhere in the world. And BitTorrent is a great way to achieve that. If
                      one source is missing, the archive is still available.

                      On a more computer way, the RAID 5 is something like that. Your datas
                      are spread over 5 Hard disk. And if one disk crashes, your data are
                      still available !

                      Olivier
                    • Nicole Simon
                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 4, 2004
                        Olivier <olisker@...> wrote:
                        >It's funny to see that RIAA and MPAA and local organisations in each
                        >country are against sharing, when it's obvious for parents to teach
                        >their children they must share their toys with their friends.

                        Oh this quote is a beautiful one. (Do you have a website I could link to?)

                        It reminds me of a discussion in usenet between people about how we should
                        all work together in teams, how this is the way to go and everybody must do
                        so - when one of the more experiment posters said 'hm. In my job, this is
                        treated as cheating.' Even though an older poster, he was still in school,
                        and he is right. 9-13 years of our lives in german school business you are
                        educated that working toghether is cheating and is punished.

                        How do we expect people to develop a sense for the good within? But it
                        comes out more or less in every person that they want to share, to connect.
                        Must be deep within our nature. Which again shows: There is something wrong
                        in forbidding it.

                        Nicole
                      • Danny Ayers
                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 4, 2004
                          On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 00:15:07 -0000, ecomputerd <ecomputerd@...> wrote:

                          On the sharing issue - well said folks, sharing is a good thing,
                          whatever the RIAA etc say.

                          > 4) The matra of "S is for Simple" while valiant is not always
                          > applicable.

                          Absolutely. RSS 2.0 is only simple when presented as a sugar coating
                          around a stack of technologies that are far from simple: XML, XML
                          Namespaces, Unicode, HTTP, XML *over* HTTP (see RFC 3023 - simple?)
                          URIs, the HTML family. This presentation is fine and dandy when
                          everything is down the middle for simple applications leaning towards
                          English-centric applications where a lot of problems are skirted
                          thanks to ASCII. After all, it is conceptually simple, and should
                          certainly be simple for the end users. But even in these circumstances
                          it's easy for things to go wrong, with the result that invalid feeds
                          are ten a penny and aggregator developers have to jump through hoops
                          to make them readable.

                          Swallowing the marketing without chewing and using simplicity as
                          justification for poor design is not a good idea, and inevitably leads
                          to problems further down the line: e.g. remember the "silent data loss
                          problem"?

                          Cheers,
                          Danny.

                          --

                          http://dannyayers.com
                        • tacomancini
                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 4, 2004
                            Our system currently podcasts only in mp3 format. We intend to integrate torrent in our
                            service once its use and issues have been agreed upon by the podcasting community.
                            Hopefully torrent will be fully integrated in the ipodder software, and its use will be made
                            transparent so as not to
                            confuse new podcast adopters.
                            We have a very simple Blog solution built in our system, that allows beginners to get going
                            as quickly as possible. We also offer a quickcast solution similar to dircaster
                            shadydentist.com/wordpress/archives/2004/10/13/dircaster-01/ That creates a podcast
                            automatically when the user uploads a mp3 file, and uses the id3 tags of the mp3 to
                            create the blog entry.
                            The path to the mp3s for the user is libsyn.com/media/<username>/<filename>
                            so that integration with external blogs is not broken.

                            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Gaume" <gaume@y...> wrote:

                            > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Jason @ Insomnia Radio"
                            > <jasonevangelho@g...> wrote:
                            > > He makes a good point. With solutions like libsyn.org emerging,
                            > > charging only for storage space, not bandwidth, BT is becoming less of
                            > > a necessity....
                            >
                            > Read closer my friend, libsyn is based on Bittorrent:
                            >
                            > From http://www.libsyn.org/features.php under Unmetered bandwidth:
                            >
                            > "One of the biggest issues facing the early pioneers of podcasting is
                            > the bandwidth usage. We have a planned architecture of distributed
                            > downloads across multiple servers where the most recent, high-demand
                            > media files are served from faster, larger pipes, and older, archived
                            > material is still available, however from lower speed connections.
                            > Once bit torrent becomes fully integrated into the podcasting
                            > software, our structure and design will really flourish. It will be as
                            > simple as a user uploading a media file, say an MP3 for example, the
                            > file is automatically encoded into a .torrent, tracked by our
                            > trackers, and seeded on our servers. Once the demand dies down, the
                            > file is archived where it will still be available via direct download."
                            >
                            > Also be aware that they control the RSS feed. So if you have a blog
                            > associated with your podcast the two would never match.
                            >
                            > 2cents
                            >
                            > Tom @ ipodio
                          • Olivier
                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 5, 2004
                              Hi,

                              > I think it is reasonable. If a podcasting client could integrate
                              > BitTorrent *and* make it so it's transparent to the user *and* have it
                              > disabled by default but have geeks able to turn it on, I'd appreciate it.

                              I llok at the coming jPodder 0.7. It has Azureus built in... I didn't
                              know there was a bitorrent client. So when I was downloading my feeds, I
                              didn't even notice some of them was torrent files. I just see that the
                              progress bar was growing.. just like any download :) Could it be
                              simpler ?

                              Olivier
                            • ILK
                              Message 14 of 30 , Dec 5, 2004
                                > > I think it is reasonable. If a podcasting client could integrate
                                > > BitTorrent *and* make it so it's transparent to the user *and*
                                have it
                                > > disabled by default but have geeks able to turn it on, I'd
                                appreciate it.

                                Not a lot of time here, and I have a lot to add to this conversation.
                                (perhaps later this evening?)

                                .. but

                                I think having it disabled by default is the opposite of making
                                things easy for the end users when there are bittorrent podcasts
                                out there. They will subscribe and assume the podcast is dead.
                                That's user UNfriendly.

                                On the other hand, for reasons I will go into later if there's
                                any interest, bittorrent is proving to be troublesome. It's not
                                100 percent clear to me at this point, but subscriptions seem
                                (note: I have not tested it personally) to increase once one
                                switches from BT to http.

                                This could have something to do with ISP port blocking. One solution
                                to this problem would be for the ipodder developers to choose a
                                different block of ports (anything but the known default ones) in the
                                next release for bittorrent in ipodder, etc. I'd be interested in
                                being a part of testing this if there are any takers. My podcast, for
                                now, is bittorrent only. If I switch over to http, it would be served
                                locally from one of my machines and I would be using a server that
                                does not generate a report. I will be setting up a more "significant"
                                (read:headaches) web server in the near future in order to see the
                                differences. But first I'd like to see what happens when ipodder
                                chooses a non-standard port range for the bittorrent aspect of the
                                program. Try 6999-7099. I suggested that range to a friend that was
                                seeing his bittorrents suddenly non-functional a few weeks ago. Now
                                he has no issues.

                                But finally, most importantly, please do not disable bittorent
                                by default. We're not all rich out here.

                                The idea that bittorrent should be avoided because of it's association
                                with piracy (arrrgh! matey) is a bit silly. Good way to keep it that
                                way, however. MP3 is associated with piracy as well. Maybe we should
                                all go with OGG. But wait, you say, isn't that an arguement against
                                bittorrent?? Well, no. Read this and roll it around in your mouth.
                                Sniff it, observe it as it swirls in the glass in front of your face....

                                "According to British Web analysis firm CacheLogic, BitTorrent
                                accounts for an astounding 35 percent of all the traffic on the
                                Internet -- more than all other peer-to-peer programs combined -- and
                                dwarfs mainstream traffic like Web pages."

                                Source: http://in.tech.yahoo.com/041103/137/2ho4i.html

                                Pay key attention to that last part...

                                "dwarfs mainstream traffic like Web pages"

                                This aint for geeks only, and to make the assumption that this is
                                not a widely used protocol is simply not the truth. And please note
                                that it doesn't say 35% of users, it says 35% of traffic. That's
                                significant.

                                BUT, in defense of what others have said here, if using bottorrent
                                as CURRENTLY implemented in podcast clients means you cut your
                                audience in half, it must be avoided if audience size means something
                                to you. It would just be nice to see something being done on the
                                client side to use a different port range so people can download if
                                their ISP is attempting to police their connection.

                                Also, if users are using firewalls(and if they are not, this is a much
                                bigger problem), they had to give permission for ipodder in the first
                                place to make it functional. If they use a more sophisticated firewall
                                and have no idea how to use it, then they really shouldn't be using
                                that sophisticated firewall at all.

                                And having a torrent open on your machine does not "open it up to the
                                world". If that were the case, it would not be widely used. Especially
                                if you assume it's "geeky".

                                In the end, yes, there are bittorrent-only podcasts. And there will be
                                more. But not if the client disables it by default. That would be a
                                sad day for everyone. Especially end-users. Podcasters as well. As it
                                stands, the choices are clear. Find a sweet deal with a provider, PAY
                                up the wazoo for bandwidth, pay a high fee or use a free service that
                                may change tomorrow or limit you in various, unpredictable ways. All
                                of this while bittorrent is standing in front of us, it's jaw agape
                                and it's hands waving in the air with a look of "what are you guys
                                waiting for?" on it's face. Bittorrent bypasses so much of this
                                reliance on so many others, free or otherwise (and we all know it's
                                almost always otherwise in the end). The only thing it relies on is
                                it's participants. (users, providers)

                                ilk..
                              • Dennis A. Amith
                                Message 15 of 30 , Dec 5, 2004
                                  I think it would be cool to see a BitTorrent tracker for those of us who worry about
                                  bandwidth usage and have a schedule on our sites listening when our bittorrents will be
                                  posted.

                                  If anything, it would be great to see a PodCast tracker and downloads would probably be
                                  very quick. But it would be difficult for the moderator to keep in track of things especially
                                  if someone posts a podcast with illegal content.

                                  Or we can all upload our podcast torrents to suprnova.org and see if they'll start a PodCast
                                  section... j/k.

                                  - daa
                                  --
                                  Metro Media Complex: Podcast Edition
                                  www.nt2099.com/MMC/
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Dec 5, 2004
                                    --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis A. Amith" <nt2099@s...> wrote:
                                    > I think it would be cool to see a BitTorrent tracker for those of us
                                    who worry about
                                    > bandwidth usage and have a schedule on our sites listening when our
                                    bittorrents will be
                                    > posted.
                                    > If anything, it would be great to see a PodCast tracker and
                                    downloads would probably be
                                    > very quick. But it would be difficult for the moderator to keep in
                                    track of things especially
                                    > if someone posts a podcast with illegal content.
                                    > Or we can all upload our podcast torrents to suprnova.org and see if
                                    they'll start a PodCast
                                    > section... j/k.
                                    > - daa

                                    I DO have a podcast-only tracker, now. Currently 3 podcasts, several
                                    "episodes" from 2 of them and another on the way(?). And I think it
                                    could handle a few other podcasts. (drop me a mail if any of you want
                                    to try it out)

                                    The suprnova thing could happen if someone here knows how to get it to
                                    work past the upload page. I've tried many times. You can post
                                    podcasts to the "misc" category. If anyone can figure out how to
                                    upload to suprnova (and make it work), please let us all know.

                                    ilk..
                                  • Ross Wm. Rader
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Dec 20, 2004
                                      Gregory Narain wrote:

                                      > I'm already looking into how to stream our Beercasts so that I can get
                                      > even more people to listen (that's what it's all really about, right?).

                                      Bingo.

                                      The entire BT discussion has bothered me a little bit for exactly this
                                      reason. There has always been an inverse relationship between economy
                                      and usability. The most affordable methods always seem to have the
                                      smallest reach. Chalk on a sidewalk, handbills on a fencepost, podcasts
                                      via BT. If you want to build an audience, you have to do it within the
                                      terms that the audience understands.

                                      That's not to say that these experiments aren't without merit, in fact
                                      the opposite. But I would venture that if you are looking to build an
                                      audience and save dollars by using BT, today, you are probably working
                                      at cross-purpose to yourself.

                                      --

                                      -rwr

                                      Contact info: http://www.blogware.com/profiles/ross
                                      Skydasher: A great way to start your day
                                      My weblog: http://www.byte.org
                                    • Ross Wm. Rader
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Dec 20, 2004
                                        ecomputerd wrote:
                                        > Simplicity for users is vital for mass appeal, but simplicity for
                                        > aggregator writers is less so, but I am assuming backward
                                        > compatibility so that at its basic implementation, it gets no more
                                        > complicated for podcatcher writers. Extra features can and should be
                                        > offered to enable more functionality. Even after all
                                        > my "complaining" about RSS's non-simplicity, it actually is not that
                                        > complicated. Adding BT is not (or shouldn't be made) more
                                        > complicated from the podcatchers point of view. Adding *optional* BT
                                        > does not complicate the podcatcher writer, aside from a new ignored
                                        > value/element/attribute. It only complicates those podcatcher
                                        > authors that choose to implement it. Which will (actually: has)
                                        > catch (caught) on quickly because of demand.

                                        Simplicity is a user benefit, not a developer benefit. While I
                                        understand a developers tendency to look for the simplest solution,
                                        these don't always give users the best solution. Where possible, I
                                        always prefer that the developers I work with err on the side of
                                        assuming and abstracting more complexity rather than embracing the
                                        simplest, most expedient solution. It is often these extra mile
                                        solutions that make for killer differentiation because it often brings
                                        about real utility for end users.

                                        That being said, I've often implemented the most readily available
                                        solution to be met with less than stellar, but timely nonetheless,
                                        results ;)

                                        --

                                        -rwr

                                        Contact info: http://www.blogware.com/profiles/ross
                                        Skydasher: A great way to start your day
                                        My weblog: http://www.byte.org
                                      • lerhaupt
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Dec 20, 2004
                                          > Bingo.
                                          >
                                          > The entire BT discussion has bothered me a little bit for exactly this
                                          > reason. There has always been an inverse relationship between economy
                                          > and usability. The most affordable methods always seem to have the
                                          > smallest reach. Chalk on a sidewalk, handbills on a fencepost, podcasts
                                          > via BT. If you want to build an audience, you have to do it within the
                                          > terms that the audience understands.
                                          >
                                          > That's not to say that these experiments aren't without merit, in fact
                                          > the opposite. But I would venture that if you are looking to build an
                                          > audience and save dollars by using BT, today, you are probably working
                                          > at cross-purpose to yourself.

                                          There is validity to what you say. However, the solution is simply
                                          bundling the bit torrent client within the podcast download software.

                                          Podcasters should always provide both in mp3 and torrent format so the
                                          new, uninitiated and inexperienced can download in the most
                                          comfortable manner, and for those who regularly frequent podcasts,
                                          they just point their enabled aggregator to the torrent feed instead
                                          of the mp3 feed. And since joining a feed from an aggregator is just
                                          as easy for each, there is virtually no difference.

                                          As well, with podcasting just the tip of the iceberg in independent
                                          media distribution, I think it won't be long before people really want
                                          to push past 20MB per. Simple solutions are necessary and we're
                                          getting there.
                                        • Ross Wm. Rader
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Dec 21, 2004
                                            lerhaupt wrote:

                                            > There is validity to what you say. However, the solution is simply
                                            > bundling the bit torrent client within the podcast download software.

                                            Yes, definitely - but it should be at least as transparent as their
                                            current support for HTTP transfers...

                                            > Podcasters should always provide both in mp3 and torrent format so the
                                            > new, uninitiated and inexperienced can download in the most
                                            > comfortable manner, and for those who regularly frequent podcasts,
                                            > they just point their enabled aggregator to the torrent feed instead
                                            > of the mp3 feed. And since joining a feed from an aggregator is just
                                            > as easy for each, there is virtually no difference.

                                            I *hear* you, but I'm still not convinced that the incentives line up
                                            until the client developers deal with the usability issues - not in any
                                            serious sense anyway...

                                            > As well, with podcasting just the tip of the iceberg in independent
                                            > media distribution, I think it won't be long before people really want
                                            > to push past 20MB per. Simple solutions are necessary and we're
                                            > getting there.

                                            20mb per podcast? I don't think I subscribe to any that are that small :)