Re: [podcasters] Podshow "Strategy Cast"

  • Harold Johnson
    Message 1 of 22 , May 2 9:29 AM
      Podcasting is the new *podcasting*. Nothing like this has presented
      itself in this particular way before. It's a two-way media in a
      variety of ways, interactive to some extent and surely more so in the
      near future as tools develop to facilitate the process of producing
      podcasts.

      We tend to compare it to what we know, radio and blogging. Yet it's
      really both of these and then neither. It's what it is, and we're
      still figuring that out. Some will try to take it to traditional
      media formats, such as radio, and that's fine. Meanwhile podcasting
      will change, and mutate and branch out in various ways, and perhaps
      some of these branches won't make sense for broadcast of satellite
      radio.

      It's fun to hear ourselves on terrestrial (traditional) radio,
      especially if we grew up in an analog era, and I wouldn't mind my
      mousy voice being transmitted via radiowaves. Yet I'm more excited
      about the possibilities that are yet to come; I can't wait for *the
      iPod of Internet radio* to arrive, whenever that may be - a portable
      device that can recieve podcasts or other digital audio from
      *anywhere*, and *without hassle*.

      Who will create this device? Will Apple's lightning strike again, or
      will it be a smaller, Palm-like company? Will it be a group of
      podcasting engineers, pooling their resources together to "change the
      world"? Stay tuned.

      Harold J. Johnson
      http://audioblogs.info

      Message 2 of 22 , May 2 9:44 AM
        On 5/2/05, Harold Johnson <harold.johnson@...> wrote:

        > It's fun to hear ourselves on terrestrial (traditional) radio,
        > especially if we grew up in an analog era, and I wouldn't mind my
        > mousy voice being transmitted via radiowaves. Yet I'm more excited
        > about the possibilities that are yet to come; I can't wait for *the
        > iPod of Internet radio* to arrive, whenever that may be - a portable
        > device that can recieve podcasts or other digital audio from
        > *anywhere*, and *without hassle*.

        Following that tangent: From a practical perspective, there's no
        reason why a Treo or any other smartphone couldn't do this. There's
        already a third-party MP3 player than can stream Shoutcast-style
        Internet radio to the Treo; it shouldn't be that hard to extend it to
        catch RSS feeds as well.

        In fact I'm a bit surprised it hasn't been done yet. (I've thought
        very briefly about writing it myself, but I've never tried programming
        for the Palm, and anyway I've got too many projects already.)

        So if anyone's looking for a fun bit of programming: there's your
        shot. Write a good Treo podcatcher, and I'll buy one. Until then
        I'll keep listening on my iPod, and save the Treo for Web surfing and
        phone calls.

        - Steve Eley
        sfeley@...
      • Russell S. Holliman
        Message 3 of 22 , May 2 10:54 AM
          I have tested two programs on my Treo for receiving podcasts. They
          worked, but not as "automatically" as a desktop client. And until
          EV-DO is prevalent in my market, its really not practical. But it is
          there...

          And the 'third party' software you mentioned does more than just
          stream shoutcast-type links... it will stream an MP3 link, such as a
          podcast. I've played with it and it works well, provided the source
          file is encoded at a low enough bit rate to stream well over the slow
          networks... once again, the only thing holding back the Treo is the
          connection.

          > On 5/2/05, Harold Johnson <harold.johnson@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > It's fun to hear ourselves on terrestrial (traditional) radio,
          > > especially if we grew up in an analog era, and I wouldn't mind my
          > > mousy voice being transmitted via radiowaves. Yet I'm more excited
          > > about the possibilities that are yet to come; I can't wait for *the
          > > iPod of Internet radio* to arrive, whenever that may be - a portable
          > > device that can recieve podcasts or other digital audio from
          > > *anywhere*, and *without hassle*.
          >
          > Following that tangent: From a practical perspective, there's no
          > reason why a Treo or any other smartphone couldn't do this. There's
          > already a third-party MP3 player than can stream Shoutcast-style
          > Internet radio to the Treo; it shouldn't be that hard to extend it to
          > catch RSS feeds as well.
          >
          > In fact I'm a bit surprised it hasn't been done yet. (I've thought
          > very briefly about writing it myself, but I've never tried programming
          > for the Palm, and anyway I've got too many projects already.)
          >
          > So if anyone's looking for a fun bit of programming: there's your
          > shot. Write a good Treo podcatcher, and I'll buy one. Until then
          > I'll keep listening on my iPod, and save the Treo for Web surfing and
          > phone calls.
          >
          > --
          > Have Fun,
          > - Steve Eley
          > sfeley@...

        • Matt May
          Message 4 of 22 , May 2 11:26 AM
            > Following that tangent: From a practical perspective, there's no
            > reason why a Treo or any other smartphone couldn't do this. There's
            > already a third-party MP3 player than can stream Shoutcast-style
            > Internet radio to the Treo; it shouldn't be that hard to extend it to
            > catch RSS feeds as well.

            This won't help Treo users, but my Pocket PC can podcatch using Egress:

            http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=12324

            I can set it to download new podcasts over 802.11b directly to my
            Compact Flash card. Which I may end up doing later this month while
            I'm on vacation, so I can leave the laptop behind.

            But I agree with the others that the bandwidth just isn't there yet.
            3G is only rolled out in a few cities, and is still really expensive
            ($80/mo). Once that comes down to a nice $20 price point, anybody will
            be able to do this, or even narrowcast their own radio station from
            home. All of the components, except the ubiquitous broadband, are
            there. There are even companies like Avvenu and Orb Networks, that are
            already working on enabling technologies.

            -
          • James W. Anderson
            Message 5 of 22 , May 2 12:29 PM
              There's a site called http://www.penguinradio.com/ that is working on a
              webcast-to-phone application, but I'm not sure even from the site just
              what it is.

              Anyone have an idea what they are up to?

              And also Motorola's forthcoming 'iRadio'. Google for it, you'll find a
              media ripper product, but also a huge load of references to a press
              release in mid-February about that.

              There are issues to be resolved, such as spotty cell tower coverage in
              some parts of the rural areas. Look at your wireless providers' maps
              that came with your service, or on their websites, to see what I mean.

              The matter of IP to radio device or whatever has been discussed on the
              net for years, it's not quite here yet, but the above offers some
              possibilities.
            • Harold Johnson
              Message 6 of 22 , May 2 12:52 PM
                We discuss a bit of these issues in my Internet Radio Lovers group
                here on Yahoo!Groups. I've been waiting for a device like the iRadio
                for years, and I have high hopes for it. Still, I'm not certain it
                will be able to download or stream podcasts; unless I'm mistaken,
                it'll going to have presets or something like that, similar to iTunes'
                radio stations.

                Harold J.
                audioblogs.info

                On 5/2/05, James W. Anderson <genealogy248@...> wrote:
                > There's a site called http://www.penguinradio.com/ that is working on a
                > webcast-to-phone application, but I'm not sure even from the site just
                > what it is.
                >
                > Anyone have an idea what they are up to?
                >
                > And also Motorola's forthcoming 'iRadio'. Google for it, you'll find a
                > media ripper product, but also a huge load of references to a press
                > release in mid-February about that.
                >
                > There are issues to be resolved, such as spotty cell tower coverage in
                > some parts of the rural areas. Look at your wireless providers' maps
                > that came with your service, or on their websites, to see what I mean.
                >
                > The matter of IP to radio device or whatever has been discussed on the
                > net for years, it's not quite here yet, but the above offers some
                > possibilities.

              • James W. Anderson
                Message 7 of 22 , May 2 1:35 PM
                  --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Harold Johnson <harold.johnson@g...>
                  wrote:
                  > We discuss a bit of these issues in my Internet Radio Lovers group
                  > here on Yahoo!Groups. I've been waiting for a device like the iRadio
                  > for years, and I have high hopes for it. Still, I'm not certain it
                  > will be able to download or stream podcasts; unless I'm mistaken,
                  > it'll going to have presets or something like that, similar to iTunes'
                  > radio stations.
                  >
                  > Harold J.
                  > audioblogs.info

                  Where's your group? Could not find it in the search feature on Yahoo
                  Groups.
                • Harold Johnson
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 2 2:17 PM
                    It wouldn't come up, huh? Here's the URL then:

                    Harold

                    On 5/2/05, James W. Anderson <genealogy248@...> wrote:
                    > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Harold Johnson <harold.johnson@g...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > We discuss a bit of these issues in my Internet Radio Lovers group
                    > > here on Yahoo!Groups. I've been waiting for a device like the iRadio
                    > > for years, and I have high hopes for it. Still, I'm not certain it
                    > > will be able to download or stream podcasts; unless I'm mistaken,
                    > > it'll going to have presets or something like that, similar to iTunes'
                    > > radio stations.
                    > >
                    > > Harold J.
                    > > audioblogs.info
                    >
                    > Where's your group? Could not find it in the search feature on Yahoo
                    > Groups.

                  • Dennis A. Amith
                    Message 9 of 22 , May 2 4:10 PM
                      On 5/2/05 7:05 AM, "Tim Elliott" <twelliott@...> wrote:

                      > When he and Adam broke up, I assumed it was Dave's blogger principles
                      > at play, but now that the cat is out of the Podshow bag, it seems
                      > otherwise. With this mornings' Sirus announcement, it seems that two
                      > camps are emerging in podcastville: Podshow and everybody else.
                      >
                      > BTW, Happy Birthday, Dave!
                      > --
                      > Tim

                      Well, there is one way to make things interesting. Dave, go XM!

                      Happy birthday Dave!

                      - daa
                    • bluggster
                      Message 10 of 22 , May 2 4:53 PM
                        > Well, there is one way to make things interesting. Dave, go XM!

                        go! tradesushi.com !!

                        :)
                        aieeee!!!

                        we're about to do our 'bluggcast', where we're going to talk quite a
                        bit about all this sirius biznizz

                        http://blugg.com/cast :)