Re: [podcasters] at least this yahoogroup isn't a podcast. . .

  • Dennis A. Amith
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2 9:17 AM
      On 5/2/05 8:53 AM, "Steve Abatangle" <abbatangelo@...> wrote:

      > I love people who claim that "no one reads anymore." It's strange, because
      > walking into the super-mega-sized Borders and B&Ns that litter the US -- the
      > ones that are bigger than the public library I grew up with -- you'd think
      > that people are not only still reading, but they're willing to pay to read.
      > I see readers all over the place. Sure, most of 'em are reading crap (Dan
      > Brown, Danielle Steele, what-have-you), but at least they're reading.

      Hi Steve,

      I worked for a major newspaper corporation at one time and was heading the
      new media division in bringing up many of their newspaper websites. I would
      clash with the editorial department who felt threatened because I was
      bringing in a new way for people to read their local news. Why would anyone
      read news on a Website? It's not the same as reading news on printed format?

      Even when I had my first PDA (Cassiopeia E-100), I would always sync my
      avantgo to read my news on electronic format and suffice to say that I may
      have been seen as aligning with the devil for encouraging this development
      of new media and for people to read their news online many years ago, the
      fact is that despite what these editors may think, I have always looked at
      B&N and Borders like my second home.

      I invested a lot as a child reading comic books, Mad and Cracked magazine
      and I have bookshelves after bookshelves of books in my home. I still
      subscribe to a plethora of magazines and when I go to dinner with friends,
      it always amazes me that when we get into conversations of what we do in our
      spare time, I'd tell them that I read books. And they would look at me as
      "you read books?" and felt that book reading should of ended when we all
      graduated from college. As for them, they have replaced reading books and
      put hours after hours into EverQuest, Final Fantasy, Half Life and video
      gaming to whatever is on television but they are reading (usually friends
      blogs on friendster or myspace, video game and television show message
      boards and of course, e-mail) but I guess at least they are reading.

      But in terms of willing to pay to read, the fact that I do it, it makes me
      feel good that I'm probably the only one among my group of friends who who
      still does that and have slowly influenced one or two to starting doing it
      as well.

      If this gorup was a podcast though...I would liken it to a long ice cream
      headache.

      - daa
    • Peter Ker
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2 3:34 PM
        I'm currently reading "Blue Highways" by a Gent named
        Least Heat moon. Nothing earth shatterring, fairly
        interesting tho. Also got a Tony Hillerman book queued
        in my Palm III

        Skennen

        http://www.geocities.com/bearclanmohawk
        http://www.cafepress.com/ohkwari

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Tee Morris
        Message 3 of 5 , May 3 8:08 AM
          On May 2, 2005, at 11:53 AM, Steve Abatangle wrote:

          > I love people who claim that "no one reads anymore." It's strange,
          > because walking into the super-mega-sized Borders and B&Ns that litter
          > the US -- the ones that are bigger than the public library I grew up
          > with -- you'd think that people are not only still reading, but
          > they're willing to pay to read. I see readers all over the place.
          > Sure, most of 'em are reading crap (Dan Brown, Danielle Steele,
          > what-have-you), but at least they're reading.
          >
          > On 5/2/05, cat <justpeace@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> I run into an old friend and former bandmate, in catching up I say
          >> are you hip to podcasting? She says no, so I give her a 2 sentence
          >> description of the concept. Her response: "Great. What the internet
          >> started by allowing our ability to write completely disintegrate,
          >> podcasting will finish by letting us forget how to read, too."

          I think Cat's friend is missing the potential of podcasting. As a
          writer, podcasting is giving my readership a welcome boost. I've been
          getting a good amount of feedback, both overwhelmingly positive and
          nit-picky critical, on my podcast of MOREVI; but the most important
          benefit of the feedback is I'm getting it from places where my work
          would never see the light of day unless my publisher closed a few
          publishing contracts overseas. Closer to home, there are listeners who
          have bought the book because they didn't want to wait for the end of
          the podcast to find out what's coming up. So, along with reaching new
          audiences, I've got a slight spike in sales for a book that is coming
          up on its third year in print.

          As far as podcasting/the Internet finishing us by forgetting how to
          read, I got this yesterday from Reviewingtheevidence.com...

          http://www.reviewingtheevidence.com/review.html?id=4946

          Not only people are reading, but the ones reviewing the work seem to be
          enjoying what I'm writing! :^)

          If it wasn't for the Internet, I probably wouldn't be writing, and it
          has been through the Internet that I have conducted research,
          discovered leads to other books, and enjoyed interaction with readers.
          Podcasting -- and I'm sure Scott Seigler and Mark Jeffrey who are also
          creating podiobooks can attest to this -- has been proving to be a
          fantastic marketing tool for me as an author. I am also getting my name
          out there to a more diverse, wider audience than the audience that I
          meet up with at SF/F cons. I love my SF/F con readers, but I love
          reaching readers/listeners who do not normally read this genre.

          I sincerely hope that publishers soon key in on the popularity and
          potential of podcasting. It's a cost-effective way to introduce
          yourself and your work to a larger audience, and also it's a hoot!
          I've been busting my hump putting together a podcast while keeping the
          day job and working on the next novel (which I completed
          yesterday...now, the countdown begins!), but I've also been having a
          blast doing this. It's been a real education, and to everyone on this
          list who has tuned in, voted for me on Podcast Alley, and send me
          feedback, my sincerest thanks! You all are making this adventure a
          little easier.

          Power to the Podcasters,

          Tee Morris

          MOREVI: The Chronicles of Rafe & Askana
          An epic fantasy from Tee Morris & Lisa Lee

          Sign up for this podcast feed at http://www.dragonpage.com/morevi.xml
          Previous chapters available at http://www.teemorris.com/podcast