Re: [podcasters] Re: Podshow "Strategy Cast"

  • Garrick VanBuren
    Message 1 of 22 , May 2, 2005
      I agree. I'm trying to get through the 2hrs right now - as much as I'm
      against editing as fine-tuning, I'm all for cutting out huge swaths of
      off-topic.

      An hour and 15 minutes into it, the 'marketing is imminent and
      inevidable' attitude seems to have completely missed weblogging. Where
      marketers weren't needed to bring make it a word on everyone's tongue,
      where SixApart didn't succeed by creating a channel for advertisers.

      These things worked because publishing was easy and the content
      compelling. Not because it walked in the footstuff of the dying
      newspaper industry.

      On 5/2/05, PBCliberal <awksidental@...> wrote:
      > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Elliott" <twelliott@y...> wrote:
      >
      > > When he and Adam broke up, I assumed it was Dave's blogger principles
      > > at play, but now that the cat is out of the Podshow bag, it seems
      > > otherwise. With this mornings' Sirus announcement, it seems that two
      > > camps are emerging in podcastville: Podshow and everybody else.
      >
      > Me too. I now suspect that the reason the Winer/Curry meeting was in
      > Miami/South Beach was because the unseen hand was Ron Bloom's. Did
      > anyone else who sat through the nearly-two-hour epic opera have any
      > trouble being told how content is king by people who not only couldn't
      > get to the point but didn't see how "off" or "airline mode" on a cell
      > phone is not only respectful to the audience but a great aid to
      > staying on-topic?
      >
      > Remember that the upshot of that January Florida [?] meeting was the
      > teapot tempest over Madge Weinstein not being a real lesbian? Maybe
      > that was allegorical (and disclosable) for a debate raging over
      > business styles and business models that was the real meat of the
      > meeting, and the Weinstein flap was just the dessert.
      >
      > I zinged Dave for being anti-imagination. I guess I didn't have the
      > whole picture.

      Garrick Van Buren
      garrick.vanburen@...
      ph: 612 325 9110
      First Crack Podcast
      http://garrickvanburen.com/firstcrack/

      WishRSS - the Feed of Dreams
      http://garrickvanburen.com/wishrss/

      gFeed - all my writing in one place
      http://garrickvanburen.com/gfeed/
    • Harold Johnson
      Message 2 of 22 , May 2, 2005
        Podcasting is the new *podcasting*. Nothing like this has presented
        itself in this particular way before. It's a two-way media in a
        variety of ways, interactive to some extent and surely more so in the
        near future as tools develop to facilitate the process of producing
        podcasts.

        We tend to compare it to what we know, radio and blogging. Yet it's
        really both of these and then neither. It's what it is, and we're
        still figuring that out. Some will try to take it to traditional
        media formats, such as radio, and that's fine. Meanwhile podcasting
        will change, and mutate and branch out in various ways, and perhaps
        some of these branches won't make sense for broadcast of satellite
        radio.

        It's fun to hear ourselves on terrestrial (traditional) radio,
        especially if we grew up in an analog era, and I wouldn't mind my
        mousy voice being transmitted via radiowaves. Yet I'm more excited
        about the possibilities that are yet to come; I can't wait for *the
        iPod of Internet radio* to arrive, whenever that may be - a portable
        device that can recieve podcasts or other digital audio from
        *anywhere*, and *without hassle*.

        Who will create this device? Will Apple's lightning strike again, or
        will it be a smaller, Palm-like company? Will it be a group of
        podcasting engineers, pooling their resources together to "change the
        world"? Stay tuned.

        Harold J. Johnson
        http://audioblogs.info

        Message 3 of 22 , May 2, 2005
          On 5/2/05, Harold Johnson <harold.johnson@...> wrote:

          > It's fun to hear ourselves on terrestrial (traditional) radio,
          > especially if we grew up in an analog era, and I wouldn't mind my
          > mousy voice being transmitted via radiowaves. Yet I'm more excited
          > about the possibilities that are yet to come; I can't wait for *the
          > iPod of Internet radio* to arrive, whenever that may be - a portable
          > device that can recieve podcasts or other digital audio from
          > *anywhere*, and *without hassle*.

          Following that tangent: From a practical perspective, there's no
          reason why a Treo or any other smartphone couldn't do this. There's
          already a third-party MP3 player than can stream Shoutcast-style
          Internet radio to the Treo; it shouldn't be that hard to extend it to
          catch RSS feeds as well.

          In fact I'm a bit surprised it hasn't been done yet. (I've thought
          very briefly about writing it myself, but I've never tried programming
          for the Palm, and anyway I've got too many projects already.)

          So if anyone's looking for a fun bit of programming: there's your
          shot. Write a good Treo podcatcher, and I'll buy one. Until then
          I'll keep listening on my iPod, and save the Treo for Web surfing and
          phone calls.

          - Steve Eley
          sfeley@...
        • Russell S. Holliman
          Message 4 of 22 , May 2, 2005
            I have tested two programs on my Treo for receiving podcasts. They
            worked, but not as "automatically" as a desktop client. And until
            EV-DO is prevalent in my market, its really not practical. But it is
            there...

            And the 'third party' software you mentioned does more than just
            stream shoutcast-type links... it will stream an MP3 link, such as a
            podcast. I've played with it and it works well, provided the source
            file is encoded at a low enough bit rate to stream well over the slow
            networks... once again, the only thing holding back the Treo is the
            connection.

            > On 5/2/05, Harold Johnson <harold.johnson@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > It's fun to hear ourselves on terrestrial (traditional) radio,
            > > especially if we grew up in an analog era, and I wouldn't mind my
            > > mousy voice being transmitted via radiowaves. Yet I'm more excited
            > > about the possibilities that are yet to come; I can't wait for *the
            > > iPod of Internet radio* to arrive, whenever that may be - a portable
            > > device that can recieve podcasts or other digital audio from
            > > *anywhere*, and *without hassle*.
            >
            > Following that tangent: From a practical perspective, there's no
            > reason why a Treo or any other smartphone couldn't do this. There's
            > already a third-party MP3 player than can stream Shoutcast-style
            > Internet radio to the Treo; it shouldn't be that hard to extend it to
            > catch RSS feeds as well.
            >
            > In fact I'm a bit surprised it hasn't been done yet. (I've thought
            > very briefly about writing it myself, but I've never tried programming
            > for the Palm, and anyway I've got too many projects already.)
            >
            > So if anyone's looking for a fun bit of programming: there's your
            > shot. Write a good Treo podcatcher, and I'll buy one. Until then
            > I'll keep listening on my iPod, and save the Treo for Web surfing and
            > phone calls.
            >
            > --
            > Have Fun,
            > - Steve Eley
            > sfeley@...

          • Matt May
            Message 5 of 22 , May 2, 2005
              > Following that tangent: From a practical perspective, there's no
              > reason why a Treo or any other smartphone couldn't do this. There's
              > already a third-party MP3 player than can stream Shoutcast-style
              > Internet radio to the Treo; it shouldn't be that hard to extend it to
              > catch RSS feeds as well.

              This won't help Treo users, but my Pocket PC can podcatch using Egress:

              http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=12324

              I can set it to download new podcasts over 802.11b directly to my
              Compact Flash card. Which I may end up doing later this month while
              I'm on vacation, so I can leave the laptop behind.

              But I agree with the others that the bandwidth just isn't there yet.
              3G is only rolled out in a few cities, and is still really expensive
              ($80/mo). Once that comes down to a nice $20 price point, anybody will
              be able to do this, or even narrowcast their own radio station from
              home. All of the components, except the ubiquitous broadband, are
              there. There are even companies like Avvenu and Orb Networks, that are
              already working on enabling technologies.

              -
            • James W. Anderson
              Message 6 of 22 , May 2, 2005
                There's a site called http://www.penguinradio.com/ that is working on a
                webcast-to-phone application, but I'm not sure even from the site just
                what it is.

                Anyone have an idea what they are up to?

                And also Motorola's forthcoming 'iRadio'. Google for it, you'll find a
                media ripper product, but also a huge load of references to a press
                release in mid-February about that.

                There are issues to be resolved, such as spotty cell tower coverage in
                some parts of the rural areas. Look at your wireless providers' maps
                that came with your service, or on their websites, to see what I mean.

                The matter of IP to radio device or whatever has been discussed on the
                net for years, it's not quite here yet, but the above offers some
                possibilities.
              • Harold Johnson
                Message 7 of 22 , May 2, 2005
                  We discuss a bit of these issues in my Internet Radio Lovers group
                  here on Yahoo!Groups. I've been waiting for a device like the iRadio
                  for years, and I have high hopes for it. Still, I'm not certain it
                  will be able to download or stream podcasts; unless I'm mistaken,
                  it'll going to have presets or something like that, similar to iTunes'
                  radio stations.

                  Harold J.
                  audioblogs.info

                  On 5/2/05, James W. Anderson <genealogy248@...> wrote:
                  > There's a site called http://www.penguinradio.com/ that is working on a
                  > webcast-to-phone application, but I'm not sure even from the site just
                  > what it is.
                  >
                  > Anyone have an idea what they are up to?
                  >
                  > And also Motorola's forthcoming 'iRadio'. Google for it, you'll find a
                  > media ripper product, but also a huge load of references to a press
                  > release in mid-February about that.
                  >
                  > There are issues to be resolved, such as spotty cell tower coverage in
                  > some parts of the rural areas. Look at your wireless providers' maps
                  > that came with your service, or on their websites, to see what I mean.
                  >
                  > The matter of IP to radio device or whatever has been discussed on the
                  > net for years, it's not quite here yet, but the above offers some
                  > possibilities.

                • James W. Anderson
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 2, 2005
                    --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Harold Johnson <harold.johnson@g...>
                    wrote:
                    > We discuss a bit of these issues in my Internet Radio Lovers group
                    > here on Yahoo!Groups. I've been waiting for a device like the iRadio
                    > for years, and I have high hopes for it. Still, I'm not certain it
                    > will be able to download or stream podcasts; unless I'm mistaken,
                    > it'll going to have presets or something like that, similar to iTunes'
                    > radio stations.
                    >
                    > Harold J.
                    > audioblogs.info

                    Where's your group? Could not find it in the search feature on Yahoo
                    Groups.
                  • Harold Johnson
                    Message 9 of 22 , May 2, 2005
                      It wouldn't come up, huh? Here's the URL then:

                      Harold

                      On 5/2/05, James W. Anderson <genealogy248@...> wrote:
                      > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Harold Johnson <harold.johnson@g...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > We discuss a bit of these issues in my Internet Radio Lovers group
                      > > here on Yahoo!Groups. I've been waiting for a device like the iRadio
                      > > for years, and I have high hopes for it. Still, I'm not certain it
                      > > will be able to download or stream podcasts; unless I'm mistaken,
                      > > it'll going to have presets or something like that, similar to iTunes'
                      > > radio stations.
                      > >
                      > > Harold J.
                      > > audioblogs.info
                      >
                      > Where's your group? Could not find it in the search feature on Yahoo
                      > Groups.

                    • Dennis A. Amith
                      Message 10 of 22 , May 2, 2005
                        On 5/2/05 7:05 AM, "Tim Elliott" <twelliott@...> wrote:

                        > When he and Adam broke up, I assumed it was Dave's blogger principles
                        > at play, but now that the cat is out of the Podshow bag, it seems
                        > otherwise. With this mornings' Sirus announcement, it seems that two
                        > camps are emerging in podcastville: Podshow and everybody else.
                        >
                        > BTW, Happy Birthday, Dave!
                        > --
                        > Tim

                        Well, there is one way to make things interesting. Dave, go XM!

                        Happy birthday Dave!

                        - daa
                      • bluggster
                        Message 11 of 22 , May 2, 2005
                          > Well, there is one way to make things interesting. Dave, go XM!

                          go! tradesushi.com !!

                          :)
                          aieeee!!!

                          we're about to do our 'bluggcast', where we're going to talk quite a
                          bit about all this sirius biznizz

                          http://blugg.com/cast :)