Sirius / Strategy 'Cast

  • codywhanson
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2 8:00 AM
      Far be it from me to begrudge anyone trying to make an honest buck for
      their hard work, but I have a couple of huge problems with this
      weekend's news from the Strategy Cast and the NY Times' Sirius
      announcement.

      Podcasting succeeds when, and only when, it departs from traditional
      radio models. In adopting traditional radio revenue models and using
      satellite radio to broadcast podcasts, Bloom & Curry are assuring that
      podcasting will be viewed by millions as a novelty subset of radio.

      Radio sucks.

      Podcasts that sound like radio suck.

      I, and dozens of others, have made various efforts to get Adam Curry's
      attention in order to get a mention on DSC, knowing that it was the
      surest way to get the attention of other podcasters and podcast
      listeners. The Sirius show will only increase this phenomenon. Only
      now, people looking to get that attention will be thinking about their
      shows in the context of what they'll sound like in a radio broadcast,
      not a podcast.

      The Strategy 'Cast showed me exactly the extent to which Ron Bloom in
      particular seems to misunderstand the power of podcasting. In one
      instance, Bloom asked why he was not getting information via podcast
      on a Friday about what was going on in his area over the weekend.

      Podcasts are pre-time-shifted. If I don't happen to listen to this
      hypothetical local weekend events podcast in the 24 hours or so after
      it's posted, which I often don't, then it's worthless to me, and I've
      wasted time, hard-drive space and my iPod battery skipping past the
      show. And if I'm not a big podcasting geek, and not an iTunes smart
      playlist maniac, then the outdated podcast is going to sit there, only
      to come up again when I'm using shuffle.

      A more appropriate medium for time-sensitive content? Radio.

      So, Ron and Adam are assuring the launch of dozens more radio retread
      podcasts, which cheapen the medium, make it less user-friendly, and
      which fundamentally misunderstand the potential of RSS-delivered media.

      Dave Winer, you're a cranky bastard, and the sound quality on your
      podcasts is still crap, but once again you're ahead of the curve.
      Kudos on walking away from this venture.

      Cody
      vinylpodcast.com
    • Steve Abatangle
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2 8:48 AM
        It's still very early. Curry + Sirius and Curry + Bloom could be helping lay
        groundwork, or they could be wasting their time. It's too soon to tell, and
        for the most part, it doesn't matter.

        We don't really know what makes a podcast succeed yet; if this is a real
        form of new media (I vote it is) and not just a flash in the pan, then it'll
        be years before we really understand what to do with it. What seems to work
        right now will probably look quaint when Podcasting matures.

        So don't stress about all this stuff. And don't be surprised as cash-flush
        capitalists like Mr. Curry poke and prod at this thing. Use the early WWW as
        an example; Yahoo's early fame didn't stop current net stars like
        Aint-it-cool-news.com <http://Aint-it-cool-news.com> or Slashdot from
        achieving success. (Adam's web ventures didn't either!)

        Adam's shows and businesses won't stop anyone here. Nor will they ruin
        podcasting. And how this all winds up -- it's way, way too early to tell.