Re: Podshow "Strategy Cast"

  • Tim Elliott
    Message 1 of 22 , May 2 7:05 AM
      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Harold Johnson
      <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:
      > Hi Tim. What exactly was Dave right about? Just curious, that's all.

      Here are his words from scripting.com Saturday:

      "I listened to the whole Ron Bloom-Adam Curry strategy-cast thing
      yesterday. I'm sure I'll have more thoughts, but the primary one was,
      who is Ron Bloom, and why should he be the arbiter of what's cool in
      podcasting? Basically, I don't take professional gigs because of
      people like Ron Bloom, people who don't practice the art, who only
      think about how to make money off it. I don't object to making money,
      hardly, but I do object to only being concerned about making money.
      It's the same way I feel about venture capitalists who set up shop in
      RSS-land thinking it's just like SMTP. Huh. No it's not, and the fact
      that you think so says that all you're going to contribute are
      business models that you're going to eventually go to Congress to get
      laws passed to protect. Ron Bloom is a media exec. Sure, they're
      coming. Ron says so. Run the other way, says Dave. That's what I did."

      When he and Adam broke up, I assumed it was Dave's blogger principles
      at play, but now that the cat is out of the Podshow bag, it seems
      otherwise. With this mornings' Sirus announcement, it seems that two
      camps are emerging in podcastville: Podshow and everybody else.

      BTW, Happy Birthday, Dave!
      --
      Tim
      Message 2 of 22 , May 2 8:09 AM
        On 5/2/05, Garrick VanBuren <garrick.vanburen@...> wrote:
        > Maybe it's that I'm coming at this from a blogger's perspective (you
        > make money because of blogging not with blogging) not a radio
        > producers perspective (the money's in advertising).

        I think this is a very insightful point. In fact, you've probably hit
        the nail right on the head about where the ideological division is.
        There are people who believe that podcasting is the new radio, and
        people who believe that podcasting is the new blogging. (If I were
        being flippant I'd call these the Curry School and the Winer School.)

        If you believe that podcasting is the new radio, then it makes sense
        to expect that there's money waiting to flow into it. It flowed into
        radio, and was essential to radio's growth because the resources
        required to deliver high-quality radio content cost money. It's a
        synergistic relationship.

        If you believe that podcasting is the new blogging, then there's no
        flow. There's practically no money in blogging, and blogging doesn't
        need it. You can meet almost any bandwidth need with a $10/month
        hosting provider, or use Blogspot if you don't mind giving up a little
        refinement. The only production equipment is a keyboard and monitor.
        Sure, the top five or so bloggers (Daily Kos, Instapundit, etc.) can
        make a few thousand a month via Blogads, but even the rest of the
        successful bloggers are getting lunch money at best. Making money
        from a blog tends to mean getting a book deal.

        Podcasting is certainly a hybrid, but I think it leans more toward the
        blogging side. Yes, it eats a lot more bandwidth than blogging, but
        there are lots of ways to get the bandwidth cheap or free. One *can*
        throw a lot of money into producing a podcast, but the most popular
        ones are being done with cheap equipment and free software. You're
        starting to see some sponsorships, but again, only in the top few
        podcasts. And hey, look! It looks like some people are starting to
        get book deals. >8->

        > Personally, I'd rather have my show in the former category. I see
        > Podshows in the latter.

        I only listened to part of that strategy cast (I have a very hard time
        listening to Adam Curry talk) so I'm not sure yet what they're
        planning. I heard one very good point: "We've *got* to make things
        easier for listeners" -- and one very questionable point: "The
        marketers are coming whether we want them to or not." The marketers
        took over radio because you need money to put up a radio station that
        can be heard farther than two blocks. But if podcasting is more like
        blogging? Commercial attempts at blogging have been laughable and
        irrelevant.

        Making things easier for listeners is important, but I don't see
        Podshow getting a lock on that. Anything they do could be done by
        anyone else. There *is* a role to be played in hooking top-tier
        podcasts up with sponsors, and if Podshow wants to be the new Blogads
        I say more power to them. That's an achievable goal, and I don't see
        anyone else trying to do it.

        But they ought to stop there. Blogads doesn't try to influence blog
        content; it doesn't aim to "become" blogging or represent the
        blogosphere. It simply sells ads and takes a small (20%) share of the
        revenue. It does its job well, is well-respected by the community,
        and I'm pretty sure it makes good money.

        Podshow could be that. It would be very easy to excel in that niche.
        But if they try to shape podcasting or represent podcasting to the
        world, they'll squander the goodwill of the community they depend on.
        And then they've got nothing. Curry is absolutely right that Podshow
        needs the best podcasts. But he's mistaken if he thinks that the best
        podcasts will ever *need* Podshow. He needs to back down from his
        grandstanding and approach the community he helped create with a bit
        more humility. Then he'll succeed.

        - Steve Eley
        sfeley@...
      • PBCliberal
        Message 3 of 22 , May 2 8:54 AM
          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Elliott" <twelliott@y...> wrote:

          > When he and Adam broke up, I assumed it was Dave's blogger principles
          > at play, but now that the cat is out of the Podshow bag, it seems
          > otherwise. With this mornings' Sirus announcement, it seems that two
          > camps are emerging in podcastville: Podshow and everybody else.

          Me too. I now suspect that the reason the Winer/Curry meeting was in
          Miami/South Beach was because the unseen hand was Ron Bloom's. Did
          anyone else who sat through the nearly-two-hour epic opera have any
          trouble being told how content is king by people who not only couldn't
          get to the point but didn't see how "off" or "airline mode" on a cell
          phone is not only respectful to the audience but a great aid to
          staying on-topic?

          Remember that the upshot of that January Florida [?] meeting was the
          teapot tempest over Madge Weinstein not being a real lesbian? Maybe
          that was allegorical (and disclosable) for a debate raging over
          business styles and business models that was the real meat of the
          meeting, and the Weinstein flap was just the dessert.

          I zinged Dave for being anti-imagination. I guess I didn't have the
          whole picture.
        • Garrick VanBuren
          Message 4 of 22 , May 2 9:10 AM
            I agree. I'm trying to get through the 2hrs right now - as much as I'm
            against editing as fine-tuning, I'm all for cutting out huge swaths of
            off-topic.

            An hour and 15 minutes into it, the 'marketing is imminent and
            inevidable' attitude seems to have completely missed weblogging. Where
            marketers weren't needed to bring make it a word on everyone's tongue,
            where SixApart didn't succeed by creating a channel for advertisers.

            These things worked because publishing was easy and the content
            compelling. Not because it walked in the footstuff of the dying
            newspaper industry.

            On 5/2/05, PBCliberal <awksidental@...> wrote:
            > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Elliott" <twelliott@y...> wrote:
            >
            > > When he and Adam broke up, I assumed it was Dave's blogger principles
            > > at play, but now that the cat is out of the Podshow bag, it seems
            > > otherwise. With this mornings' Sirus announcement, it seems that two
            > > camps are emerging in podcastville: Podshow and everybody else.
            >
            > Me too. I now suspect that the reason the Winer/Curry meeting was in
            > Miami/South Beach was because the unseen hand was Ron Bloom's. Did
            > anyone else who sat through the nearly-two-hour epic opera have any
            > trouble being told how content is king by people who not only couldn't
            > get to the point but didn't see how "off" or "airline mode" on a cell
            > phone is not only respectful to the audience but a great aid to
            > staying on-topic?
            >
            > Remember that the upshot of that January Florida [?] meeting was the
            > teapot tempest over Madge Weinstein not being a real lesbian? Maybe
            > that was allegorical (and disclosable) for a debate raging over
            > business styles and business models that was the real meat of the
            > meeting, and the Weinstein flap was just the dessert.
            >
            > I zinged Dave for being anti-imagination. I guess I didn't have the
            > whole picture.

            Garrick Van Buren
            garrick.vanburen@...
            ph: 612 325 9110
            First Crack Podcast
            http://garrickvanburen.com/firstcrack/

            WishRSS - the Feed of Dreams
            http://garrickvanburen.com/wishrss/

            gFeed - all my writing in one place
            http://garrickvanburen.com/gfeed/
          • Harold Johnson
            Message 5 of 22 , May 2 9:29 AM
              Podcasting is the new *podcasting*. Nothing like this has presented
              itself in this particular way before. It's a two-way media in a
              variety of ways, interactive to some extent and surely more so in the
              near future as tools develop to facilitate the process of producing
              podcasts.

              We tend to compare it to what we know, radio and blogging. Yet it's
              really both of these and then neither. It's what it is, and we're
              still figuring that out. Some will try to take it to traditional
              media formats, such as radio, and that's fine. Meanwhile podcasting
              will change, and mutate and branch out in various ways, and perhaps
              some of these branches won't make sense for broadcast of satellite
              radio.

              It's fun to hear ourselves on terrestrial (traditional) radio,
              especially if we grew up in an analog era, and I wouldn't mind my
              mousy voice being transmitted via radiowaves. Yet I'm more excited
              about the possibilities that are yet to come; I can't wait for *the
              iPod of Internet radio* to arrive, whenever that may be - a portable
              device that can recieve podcasts or other digital audio from
              *anywhere*, and *without hassle*.

              Who will create this device? Will Apple's lightning strike again, or
              will it be a smaller, Palm-like company? Will it be a group of
              podcasting engineers, pooling their resources together to "change the
              world"? Stay tuned.

              Harold J. Johnson
              http://audioblogs.info

              Message 6 of 22 , May 2 9:44 AM
                On 5/2/05, Harold Johnson <harold.johnson@...> wrote:

                > It's fun to hear ourselves on terrestrial (traditional) radio,
                > especially if we grew up in an analog era, and I wouldn't mind my
                > mousy voice being transmitted via radiowaves. Yet I'm more excited
                > about the possibilities that are yet to come; I can't wait for *the
                > iPod of Internet radio* to arrive, whenever that may be - a portable
                > device that can recieve podcasts or other digital audio from
                > *anywhere*, and *without hassle*.

                Following that tangent: From a practical perspective, there's no
                reason why a Treo or any other smartphone couldn't do this. There's
                already a third-party MP3 player than can stream Shoutcast-style
                Internet radio to the Treo; it shouldn't be that hard to extend it to
                catch RSS feeds as well.

                In fact I'm a bit surprised it hasn't been done yet. (I've thought
                very briefly about writing it myself, but I've never tried programming
                for the Palm, and anyway I've got too many projects already.)

                So if anyone's looking for a fun bit of programming: there's your
                shot. Write a good Treo podcatcher, and I'll buy one. Until then
                I'll keep listening on my iPod, and save the Treo for Web surfing and
                phone calls.

                - Steve Eley
                sfeley@...
              • Russell S. Holliman
                Message 7 of 22 , May 2 10:54 AM
                  I have tested two programs on my Treo for receiving podcasts. They
                  worked, but not as "automatically" as a desktop client. And until
                  EV-DO is prevalent in my market, its really not practical. But it is
                  there...

                  And the 'third party' software you mentioned does more than just
                  stream shoutcast-type links... it will stream an MP3 link, such as a
                  podcast. I've played with it and it works well, provided the source
                  file is encoded at a low enough bit rate to stream well over the slow
                  networks... once again, the only thing holding back the Treo is the
                  connection.

                  > On 5/2/05, Harold Johnson <harold.johnson@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > It's fun to hear ourselves on terrestrial (traditional) radio,
                  > > especially if we grew up in an analog era, and I wouldn't mind my
                  > > mousy voice being transmitted via radiowaves. Yet I'm more excited
                  > > about the possibilities that are yet to come; I can't wait for *the
                  > > iPod of Internet radio* to arrive, whenever that may be - a portable
                  > > device that can recieve podcasts or other digital audio from
                  > > *anywhere*, and *without hassle*.
                  >
                  > Following that tangent: From a practical perspective, there's no
                  > reason why a Treo or any other smartphone couldn't do this. There's
                  > already a third-party MP3 player than can stream Shoutcast-style
                  > Internet radio to the Treo; it shouldn't be that hard to extend it to
                  > catch RSS feeds as well.
                  >
                  > In fact I'm a bit surprised it hasn't been done yet. (I've thought
                  > very briefly about writing it myself, but I've never tried programming
                  > for the Palm, and anyway I've got too many projects already.)
                  >
                  > So if anyone's looking for a fun bit of programming: there's your
                  > shot. Write a good Treo podcatcher, and I'll buy one. Until then
                  > I'll keep listening on my iPod, and save the Treo for Web surfing and
                  > phone calls.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Have Fun,
                  > - Steve Eley
                  > sfeley@...

                • Matt May
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 2 11:26 AM
                    > Following that tangent: From a practical perspective, there's no
                    > reason why a Treo or any other smartphone couldn't do this. There's
                    > already a third-party MP3 player than can stream Shoutcast-style
                    > Internet radio to the Treo; it shouldn't be that hard to extend it to
                    > catch RSS feeds as well.

                    This won't help Treo users, but my Pocket PC can podcatch using Egress:

                    http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=12324

                    I can set it to download new podcasts over 802.11b directly to my
                    Compact Flash card. Which I may end up doing later this month while
                    I'm on vacation, so I can leave the laptop behind.

                    But I agree with the others that the bandwidth just isn't there yet.
                    3G is only rolled out in a few cities, and is still really expensive
                    ($80/mo). Once that comes down to a nice $20 price point, anybody will
                    be able to do this, or even narrowcast their own radio station from
                    home. All of the components, except the ubiquitous broadband, are
                    there. There are even companies like Avvenu and Orb Networks, that are
                    already working on enabling technologies.

                    -
                  • James W. Anderson
                    Message 9 of 22 , May 2 12:29 PM
                      There's a site called http://www.penguinradio.com/ that is working on a
                      webcast-to-phone application, but I'm not sure even from the site just
                      what it is.

                      Anyone have an idea what they are up to?

                      And also Motorola's forthcoming 'iRadio'. Google for it, you'll find a
                      media ripper product, but also a huge load of references to a press
                      release in mid-February about that.

                      There are issues to be resolved, such as spotty cell tower coverage in
                      some parts of the rural areas. Look at your wireless providers' maps
                      that came with your service, or on their websites, to see what I mean.

                      The matter of IP to radio device or whatever has been discussed on the
                      net for years, it's not quite here yet, but the above offers some
                      possibilities.
                    • Harold Johnson
                      Message 10 of 22 , May 2 12:52 PM
                        We discuss a bit of these issues in my Internet Radio Lovers group
                        here on Yahoo!Groups. I've been waiting for a device like the iRadio
                        for years, and I have high hopes for it. Still, I'm not certain it
                        will be able to download or stream podcasts; unless I'm mistaken,
                        it'll going to have presets or something like that, similar to iTunes'
                        radio stations.

                        Harold J.
                        audioblogs.info

                        On 5/2/05, James W. Anderson <genealogy248@...> wrote:
                        > There's a site called http://www.penguinradio.com/ that is working on a
                        > webcast-to-phone application, but I'm not sure even from the site just
                        > what it is.
                        >
                        > Anyone have an idea what they are up to?
                        >
                        > And also Motorola's forthcoming 'iRadio'. Google for it, you'll find a
                        > media ripper product, but also a huge load of references to a press
                        > release in mid-February about that.
                        >
                        > There are issues to be resolved, such as spotty cell tower coverage in
                        > some parts of the rural areas. Look at your wireless providers' maps
                        > that came with your service, or on their websites, to see what I mean.
                        >
                        > The matter of IP to radio device or whatever has been discussed on the
                        > net for years, it's not quite here yet, but the above offers some
                        > possibilities.

                      • James W. Anderson
                        Message 11 of 22 , May 2 1:35 PM
                          wrote:
                          > We discuss a bit of these issues in my Internet Radio Lovers group
                          > here on Yahoo!Groups. I've been waiting for a device like the iRadio
                          > for years, and I have high hopes for it. Still, I'm not certain it
                          > will be able to download or stream podcasts; unless I'm mistaken,
                          > it'll going to have presets or something like that, similar to iTunes'
                          > radio stations.
                          >
                          > Harold J.
                          > audioblogs.info

                          Where's your group? Could not find it in the search feature on Yahoo
                          Groups.
                        • Harold Johnson
                          Message 12 of 22 , May 2 2:17 PM
                            It wouldn't come up, huh? Here's the URL then:

                            Harold

                            On 5/2/05, James W. Anderson <genealogy248@...> wrote:
                            > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Harold Johnson <harold.johnson@g...>
                            > wrote:
                            > > We discuss a bit of these issues in my Internet Radio Lovers group
                            > > here on Yahoo!Groups. I've been waiting for a device like the iRadio
                            > > for years, and I have high hopes for it. Still, I'm not certain it
                            > > will be able to download or stream podcasts; unless I'm mistaken,
                            > > it'll going to have presets or something like that, similar to iTunes'
                            > > radio stations.
                            > >
                            > > Harold J.
                            > > audioblogs.info
                            >
                            > Where's your group? Could not find it in the search feature on Yahoo
                            > Groups.

                          • Dennis A. Amith
                            Message 13 of 22 , May 2 4:10 PM
                              On 5/2/05 7:05 AM, "Tim Elliott" <twelliott@...> wrote:

                              > When he and Adam broke up, I assumed it was Dave's blogger principles
                              > at play, but now that the cat is out of the Podshow bag, it seems
                              > otherwise. With this mornings' Sirus announcement, it seems that two
                              > camps are emerging in podcastville: Podshow and everybody else.
                              >
                              > BTW, Happy Birthday, Dave!
                              > --
                              > Tim

                              Well, there is one way to make things interesting. Dave, go XM!

                              Happy birthday Dave!

                              - daa
                            • bluggster
                              Message 14 of 22 , May 2 4:53 PM
                                > Well, there is one way to make things interesting. Dave, go XM!

                                go! tradesushi.com !!

                                :)
                                aieeee!!!

                                we're about to do our 'bluggcast', where we're going to talk quite a
                                bit about all this sirius biznizz

                                http://blugg.com/cast :)