Adam Curry to Host Podcast Show on Sirius

  • George Colombo
    Message 1 of 80 , May 1 11:42 PM
      I'm guessing that we'll all be talking about this later today. From the Associated Press:

      Sirius to Offer 'Podcast' Show

      Published: May 2, 2005

      Filed at 12:44 a.m. ET

      NEW YORK (AP) -- Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. is latching onto the ''podcasting''
      phenomenon, launching a show later this month that will feature a daily selection of the
      increasingly popular do-it-yourself audio programs.

      The move by Sirius comes just days after Viacom Inc.'s Infinity Broadcasting unit said it
      would convert a struggling talk radio station in San Francisco to an all-podcast format.

      The show, which Sirius was expected to formally announce on Monday, will begin
      broadcasting weekdays on May 13. It will be hosted by Adam Curry, the former MTV
      personality who helped create the technological tools that allow podcasting to work. The
      show will be broadcast on Sirius channel 148, a talk-radio station that does carry
      commercials, unlike Sirius' all-music channels.

      Podcasts are essentially audio files made by amateurs and uploaded to the Internet where
      they can be shared with other listeners, either at their computers or on portable digital
      listening devices such as Apple Computer Inc.'s hot-selling iPod -- thus the name
      ''podcast,'' a combination of ''pod'' and ''broadcast.''

      Podcasts are less than a year old but have become popular with the booming use of iPods.
      They include music and random musings on things like wine, pop culture, politics,
      hobbies and sports.

      Some radio stations have offered podcasts of selected shows to listeners to download, but
      so far it's very unusual for radio stations to play podcasts on their air. Infinity claimed its
      station in San Francisco, KYCY-AM 1550, will be the first to adopt an all-podcast format.

      The radio industry, which has already been facing sluggish growth in advertising in recent
      years, has been watching the booming use of iPods with growing concern.

      Hoping to bring more listeners back to radio, industry giant Clear Channel
      Communications Inc. has been reducing the amount of commercials on its air and Infinity
      has been investing more in marketing and programming. Infinity parent Viacom took a
      $10.9 billion charge in February to reflect the declining value of its radio stations.

      Sirius is the smaller of the two players in the satellite radio field after XM Satellite Radio
      Holdings Inc. Sirius reported this week that it has 1.4 million subscribers, while XM has 3.8
      million.

      Both are hoping to lure in enough customers paying $12.95 per month to become
      profitable, though for now both are losing large amounts of money. Both deliver dozens of
      channels of commercial-free music and many other channels with sports, talk and other
      programs.
    • Gavin Impett
      Message 80 of 80 , May 5 10:53 AM
        I think you are basically right. Satelite radio is a t-rex competing
        with the rats after the meteor hit. They are going extinct and they
        don't know why. My guess is the switch to a podcast format will speed
        up the process of switching to a decentralized network business model.
        The difficulty I see on this site, is the large amount of posters who
        are committed to a cheeter/Marxist/artist ideology - art for art's
        sake and the artist who profits from their art is a "sell-out."
        Charles Darwin based his theory of evolution by natural selection on
        Adam Smith's The Wealth of Nation's, not Das Capitol, as some of you
        clearly believe.

        The current Darwinian thinking treats art as a kind of peacock's tail,
        meaning a display of sexual health. For the reader's go get The Mating
        Mind: How sexual choice shaped the evolution of Human Nature, by
        Geofrey Miller. For the watcher's, go rent A Beautiful Mind.

        Yours in Darwin,
        Gavin Impett