Re: [podcasters] Podshow "Strategy Cast"

  • Harold Johnson
    Message 1 of 22 , May 1, 2005
      Hey fellahs, did my podcast make Podshows' list? Heh. Ha, ha.
      Whooooohhhahhhahahahahahaha! Oh, lord, I can't stop laughing. Did I
      make the list? HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAOHBOYOHBOYOHBOYOHBOY!!! Oh, that's
      too funny.

      Harold J. Johnson
      SomethingthatHappened.com

      On 5/1/05, Russell S. Holliman <treocast@...> wrote:
      > A couple of things stick out to me about the "Strategy Cast" - first
      > of all, the lineup for the first shows. Although very popular, they
      > don't strike me as the "initial offerings" I would make to the vast
      > audience that has no idea what podcasting is. And I really don't see
      > the major advertisers being interested in associating their brand
      > names with a few of these.
      >
      > And second, what of podcastalley? It's now officially aligned with
      > podshow, and in my opinion, can never again be considered
      > 'independent.' If their voting system was ever worth anything before
      > this, it certainly isn't now...
      >
      > And lastly the comments about addressing the tech podcasts at a later
      > date... I guess we know now why Todd has not been able to get his
      > network listed in the "open" directory.
      >
      > Unfortunately, Adam seems to be the 'go-to guy' for the media, and the
      > media has and will continue to reference ipodder.org and
      > podcastalley.com. So unless someone that can grab as much media
      > attention steps up quickly, Adam will define podcasting to the general
      > public and he will do it on his terms.
      >
      > I don't for a second buy into the notion that this is all
      > happenstance. The slogan on podshow's ad on ipodder.org reads "the way
      > podcasting was meant to be" and I don't think that is just a marketing
      > phrase....
      >

      > On 4/30/05, Tim Elliott <twelliott@...> wrote:
      > > Maybe it's too early, but I find it hard to believe that no one here
      > > has yet to post about the Podshow (so-called) "Strategy Cast". I just
      > > don't get it; maybe someone could enlighten me what's in it for niche
      > > podcasters? Or podcasters in general not considered "superstars" by
      > > Mr. Bloom and Curry. I already grok what's in it for them.
      > >
      > > Note to Dave Winer: you were right, man.
      > > --
      > > Tim Elliott
      > > Winecast

    • Garrick VanBuren
      Message 2 of 22 , May 1, 2005
        Maybe it's that I'm coming at this from a blogger's perspective (you
        make money because of blogging not with blogging) not a radio
        producers perspective (the money's in advertising). I don't see the
        benefit to advertisers doing anything more than underwriting podcasts
        - a la ITConversations.com and NPR. With niche stuff - the strength of
        podcasting - the customers foot the bill. I'm thinking of a model like
        Jupiter Research's - where subscribers fund the ongoing concern.

        As Tim mentioned at the Minneapolis Podcaster's Meetup tonight,
        "there's a difference between a podcast that sells and a podcast for
        sale".

        Personally, I'd rather have my show in the former category. I see
        Podshows in the latter.

        On 5/1/05, Harold Johnson <harold.johnson@...> wrote:
        > Hey fellahs, did my podcast make Podshows' list? Heh. Ha, ha.
        > Whooooohhhahhhahahahahahaha! Oh, lord, I can't stop laughing. Did I
        > make the list? HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAOHBOYOHBOYOHBOYOHBOY!!! Oh, that's
        > too funny.
        >
        > Harold J. Johnson
        > SomethingthatHappened.com
        >
        > On 5/1/05, Russell S. Holliman <treocast@...> wrote:
        > > A couple of things stick out to me about the "Strategy Cast" - first
        > > of all, the lineup for the first shows. Although very popular, they
        > > don't strike me as the "initial offerings" I would make to the vast
        > > audience that has no idea what podcasting is. And I really don't see
        > > the major advertisers being interested in associating their brand
        > > names with a few of these.
        > >
        > > And second, what of podcastalley? It's now officially aligned with
        > > podshow, and in my opinion, can never again be considered
        > > 'independent.' If their voting system was ever worth anything before
        > > this, it certainly isn't now...
        > >
        > > And lastly the comments about addressing the tech podcasts at a later
        > > date... I guess we know now why Todd has not been able to get his
        > > network listed in the "open" directory.
        > >
        > > Unfortunately, Adam seems to be the 'go-to guy' for the media, and the
        > > media has and will continue to reference ipodder.org and
        > > podcastalley.com. So unless someone that can grab as much media
        > > attention steps up quickly, Adam will define podcasting to the general
        > > public and he will do it on his terms.
        > >
        > > I don't for a second buy into the notion that this is all
        > > happenstance. The slogan on podshow's ad on ipodder.org reads "the way
        > > podcasting was meant to be" and I don't think that is just a marketing
        > > phrase....
        > >

        > > On 4/30/05, Tim Elliott <twelliott@...> wrote:
        > > > Maybe it's too early, but I find it hard to believe that no one here
        > > > has yet to post about the Podshow (so-called) "Strategy Cast". I just
        > > > don't get it; maybe someone could enlighten me what's in it for niche
        > > > podcasters? Or podcasters in general not considered "superstars" by
        > > > Mr. Bloom and Curry. I already grok what's in it for them.
        > > >
        > > > Note to Dave Winer: you were right, man.
        > > > --
        > > > Tim Elliott
        > > > Winecast

        Garrick Van Buren
        garrick.vanburen@...
        ph: 612 325 9110
        First Crack Podcast
        http://garrickvanburen.com/firstcrack/

        WishRSS - the Feed of Dreams
        http://garrickvanburen.com/wishrss/

        gFeed - all my writing in one place
        http://garrickvanburen.com/gfeed/
      • Tim Elliott
        Message 3 of 22 , May 2, 2005
          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Harold Johnson
          <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:
          > Hi Tim. What exactly was Dave right about? Just curious, that's all.

          Here are his words from scripting.com Saturday:

          "I listened to the whole Ron Bloom-Adam Curry strategy-cast thing
          yesterday. I'm sure I'll have more thoughts, but the primary one was,
          who is Ron Bloom, and why should he be the arbiter of what's cool in
          podcasting? Basically, I don't take professional gigs because of
          people like Ron Bloom, people who don't practice the art, who only
          think about how to make money off it. I don't object to making money,
          hardly, but I do object to only being concerned about making money.
          It's the same way I feel about venture capitalists who set up shop in
          RSS-land thinking it's just like SMTP. Huh. No it's not, and the fact
          that you think so says that all you're going to contribute are
          business models that you're going to eventually go to Congress to get
          laws passed to protect. Ron Bloom is a media exec. Sure, they're
          coming. Ron says so. Run the other way, says Dave. That's what I did."

          When he and Adam broke up, I assumed it was Dave's blogger principles
          at play, but now that the cat is out of the Podshow bag, it seems
          otherwise. With this mornings' Sirus announcement, it seems that two
          camps are emerging in podcastville: Podshow and everybody else.

          BTW, Happy Birthday, Dave!
          --
          Tim
          Message 4 of 22 , May 2, 2005
            On 5/2/05, Garrick VanBuren <garrick.vanburen@...> wrote:
            > Maybe it's that I'm coming at this from a blogger's perspective (you
            > make money because of blogging not with blogging) not a radio
            > producers perspective (the money's in advertising).

            I think this is a very insightful point. In fact, you've probably hit
            the nail right on the head about where the ideological division is.
            There are people who believe that podcasting is the new radio, and
            people who believe that podcasting is the new blogging. (If I were
            being flippant I'd call these the Curry School and the Winer School.)

            If you believe that podcasting is the new radio, then it makes sense
            to expect that there's money waiting to flow into it. It flowed into
            radio, and was essential to radio's growth because the resources
            required to deliver high-quality radio content cost money. It's a
            synergistic relationship.

            If you believe that podcasting is the new blogging, then there's no
            flow. There's practically no money in blogging, and blogging doesn't
            need it. You can meet almost any bandwidth need with a $10/month
            hosting provider, or use Blogspot if you don't mind giving up a little
            refinement. The only production equipment is a keyboard and monitor.
            Sure, the top five or so bloggers (Daily Kos, Instapundit, etc.) can
            make a few thousand a month via Blogads, but even the rest of the
            successful bloggers are getting lunch money at best. Making money
            from a blog tends to mean getting a book deal.

            Podcasting is certainly a hybrid, but I think it leans more toward the
            blogging side. Yes, it eats a lot more bandwidth than blogging, but
            there are lots of ways to get the bandwidth cheap or free. One *can*
            throw a lot of money into producing a podcast, but the most popular
            ones are being done with cheap equipment and free software. You're
            starting to see some sponsorships, but again, only in the top few
            podcasts. And hey, look! It looks like some people are starting to
            get book deals. >8->

            > Personally, I'd rather have my show in the former category. I see
            > Podshows in the latter.

            I only listened to part of that strategy cast (I have a very hard time
            listening to Adam Curry talk) so I'm not sure yet what they're
            planning. I heard one very good point: "We've *got* to make things
            easier for listeners" -- and one very questionable point: "The
            marketers are coming whether we want them to or not." The marketers
            took over radio because you need money to put up a radio station that
            can be heard farther than two blocks. But if podcasting is more like
            blogging? Commercial attempts at blogging have been laughable and
            irrelevant.

            Making things easier for listeners is important, but I don't see
            Podshow getting a lock on that. Anything they do could be done by
            anyone else. There *is* a role to be played in hooking top-tier
            podcasts up with sponsors, and if Podshow wants to be the new Blogads
            I say more power to them. That's an achievable goal, and I don't see
            anyone else trying to do it.

            But they ought to stop there. Blogads doesn't try to influence blog
            content; it doesn't aim to "become" blogging or represent the
            blogosphere. It simply sells ads and takes a small (20%) share of the
            revenue. It does its job well, is well-respected by the community,
            and I'm pretty sure it makes good money.

            Podshow could be that. It would be very easy to excel in that niche.
            But if they try to shape podcasting or represent podcasting to the
            world, they'll squander the goodwill of the community they depend on.
            And then they've got nothing. Curry is absolutely right that Podshow
            needs the best podcasts. But he's mistaken if he thinks that the best
            podcasts will ever *need* Podshow. He needs to back down from his
            grandstanding and approach the community he helped create with a bit
            more humility. Then he'll succeed.

            - Steve Eley
            sfeley@...
          • PBCliberal
            Message 5 of 22 , May 2, 2005
              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Elliott" <twelliott@y...> wrote:

              > When he and Adam broke up, I assumed it was Dave's blogger principles
              > at play, but now that the cat is out of the Podshow bag, it seems
              > otherwise. With this mornings' Sirus announcement, it seems that two
              > camps are emerging in podcastville: Podshow and everybody else.

              Me too. I now suspect that the reason the Winer/Curry meeting was in
              Miami/South Beach was because the unseen hand was Ron Bloom's. Did
              anyone else who sat through the nearly-two-hour epic opera have any
              trouble being told how content is king by people who not only couldn't
              get to the point but didn't see how "off" or "airline mode" on a cell
              phone is not only respectful to the audience but a great aid to
              staying on-topic?

              Remember that the upshot of that January Florida [?] meeting was the
              teapot tempest over Madge Weinstein not being a real lesbian? Maybe
              that was allegorical (and disclosable) for a debate raging over
              business styles and business models that was the real meat of the
              meeting, and the Weinstein flap was just the dessert.

              I zinged Dave for being anti-imagination. I guess I didn't have the
              whole picture.
            • Garrick VanBuren
              Message 6 of 22 , May 2, 2005
                I agree. I'm trying to get through the 2hrs right now - as much as I'm
                against editing as fine-tuning, I'm all for cutting out huge swaths of
                off-topic.

                An hour and 15 minutes into it, the 'marketing is imminent and
                inevidable' attitude seems to have completely missed weblogging. Where
                marketers weren't needed to bring make it a word on everyone's tongue,
                where SixApart didn't succeed by creating a channel for advertisers.

                These things worked because publishing was easy and the content
                compelling. Not because it walked in the footstuff of the dying
                newspaper industry.

                Message 7 of 22 , May 2, 2005
                  Podcasting is the new *podcasting*. Nothing like this has presented
                  itself in this particular way before. It's a two-way media in a
                  variety of ways, interactive to some extent and surely more so in the
                  near future as tools develop to facilitate the process of producing
                  podcasts.

                  We tend to compare it to what we know, radio and blogging. Yet it's
                  really both of these and then neither. It's what it is, and we're
                  still figuring that out. Some will try to take it to traditional
                  media formats, such as radio, and that's fine. Meanwhile podcasting
                  will change, and mutate and branch out in various ways, and perhaps
                  some of these branches won't make sense for broadcast of satellite
                  radio.

                  It's fun to hear ourselves on terrestrial (traditional) radio,
                  especially if we grew up in an analog era, and I wouldn't mind my
                  mousy voice being transmitted via radiowaves. Yet I'm more excited
                  about the possibilities that are yet to come; I can't wait for *the
                  iPod of Internet radio* to arrive, whenever that may be - a portable
                  device that can recieve podcasts or other digital audio from
                  *anywhere*, and *without hassle*.

                  Who will create this device? Will Apple's lightning strike again, or
                  will it be a smaller, Palm-like company? Will it be a group of
                  podcasting engineers, pooling their resources together to "change the
                  world"? Stay tuned.

                  Harold J. Johnson
                  http://audioblogs.info

                  Message 8 of 22 , May 2, 2005
                    On 5/2/05, Harold Johnson <harold.johnson@...> wrote:

                    > It's fun to hear ourselves on terrestrial (traditional) radio,
                    > especially if we grew up in an analog era, and I wouldn't mind my
                    > mousy voice being transmitted via radiowaves. Yet I'm more excited
                    > about the possibilities that are yet to come; I can't wait for *the
                    > iPod of Internet radio* to arrive, whenever that may be - a portable
                    > device that can recieve podcasts or other digital audio from
                    > *anywhere*, and *without hassle*.

                    Following that tangent: From a practical perspective, there's no
                    reason why a Treo or any other smartphone couldn't do this. There's
                    already a third-party MP3 player than can stream Shoutcast-style
                    Internet radio to the Treo; it shouldn't be that hard to extend it to
                    catch RSS feeds as well.

                    In fact I'm a bit surprised it hasn't been done yet. (I've thought
                    very briefly about writing it myself, but I've never tried programming
                    for the Palm, and anyway I've got too many projects already.)

                    So if anyone's looking for a fun bit of programming: there's your
                    shot. Write a good Treo podcatcher, and I'll buy one. Until then
                    I'll keep listening on my iPod, and save the Treo for Web surfing and
                    phone calls.

                    - Steve Eley
                    sfeley@...
                  • Russell S. Holliman
                    Message 9 of 22 , May 2, 2005
                      I have tested two programs on my Treo for receiving podcasts. They
                      worked, but not as "automatically" as a desktop client. And until
                      EV-DO is prevalent in my market, its really not practical. But it is
                      there...

                      And the 'third party' software you mentioned does more than just
                      stream shoutcast-type links... it will stream an MP3 link, such as a
                      podcast. I've played with it and it works well, provided the source
                      file is encoded at a low enough bit rate to stream well over the slow
                      networks... once again, the only thing holding back the Treo is the
                      connection.

                      > On 5/2/05, Harold Johnson <harold.johnson@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > It's fun to hear ourselves on terrestrial (traditional) radio,
                      > > especially if we grew up in an analog era, and I wouldn't mind my
                      > > mousy voice being transmitted via radiowaves. Yet I'm more excited
                      > > about the possibilities that are yet to come; I can't wait for *the
                      > > iPod of Internet radio* to arrive, whenever that may be - a portable
                      > > device that can recieve podcasts or other digital audio from
                      > > *anywhere*, and *without hassle*.
                      >
                      > Following that tangent: From a practical perspective, there's no
                      > reason why a Treo or any other smartphone couldn't do this. There's
                      > already a third-party MP3 player than can stream Shoutcast-style
                      > Internet radio to the Treo; it shouldn't be that hard to extend it to
                      > catch RSS feeds as well.
                      >
                      > In fact I'm a bit surprised it hasn't been done yet. (I've thought
                      > very briefly about writing it myself, but I've never tried programming
                      > for the Palm, and anyway I've got too many projects already.)
                      >
                      > So if anyone's looking for a fun bit of programming: there's your
                      > shot. Write a good Treo podcatcher, and I'll buy one. Until then
                      > I'll keep listening on my iPod, and save the Treo for Web surfing and
                      > phone calls.
                      >
                      > --
                      > Have Fun,
                      > - Steve Eley
                      > sfeley@...

                    • Matt May
                      Message 10 of 22 , May 2, 2005
                        > Following that tangent: From a practical perspective, there's no
                        > reason why a Treo or any other smartphone couldn't do this. There's
                        > already a third-party MP3 player than can stream Shoutcast-style
                        > Internet radio to the Treo; it shouldn't be that hard to extend it to
                        > catch RSS feeds as well.

                        This won't help Treo users, but my Pocket PC can podcatch using Egress:

                        http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=12324

                        I can set it to download new podcasts over 802.11b directly to my
                        Compact Flash card. Which I may end up doing later this month while
                        I'm on vacation, so I can leave the laptop behind.

                        But I agree with the others that the bandwidth just isn't there yet.
                        3G is only rolled out in a few cities, and is still really expensive
                        ($80/mo). Once that comes down to a nice $20 price point, anybody will
                        be able to do this, or even narrowcast their own radio station from
                        home. All of the components, except the ubiquitous broadband, are
                        there. There are even companies like Avvenu and Orb Networks, that are
                        already working on enabling technologies.

                        -
                      • James W. Anderson
                        Message 11 of 22 , May 2, 2005
                          There's a site called http://www.penguinradio.com/ that is working on a
                          webcast-to-phone application, but I'm not sure even from the site just
                          what it is.

                          Anyone have an idea what they are up to?

                          And also Motorola's forthcoming 'iRadio'. Google for it, you'll find a
                          media ripper product, but also a huge load of references to a press
                          release in mid-February about that.

                          There are issues to be resolved, such as spotty cell tower coverage in
                          some parts of the rural areas. Look at your wireless providers' maps
                          that came with your service, or on their websites, to see what I mean.

                          The matter of IP to radio device or whatever has been discussed on the
                          net for years, it's not quite here yet, but the above offers some
                          possibilities.
                        • Harold Johnson
                          Message 12 of 22 , May 2, 2005
                            We discuss a bit of these issues in my Internet Radio Lovers group
                            here on Yahoo!Groups. I've been waiting for a device like the iRadio
                            for years, and I have high hopes for it. Still, I'm not certain it
                            will be able to download or stream podcasts; unless I'm mistaken,
                            it'll going to have presets or something like that, similar to iTunes'
                            radio stations.

                            Harold J.
                            audioblogs.info

                            On 5/2/05, James W. Anderson <genealogy248@...> wrote:
                            > There's a site called http://www.penguinradio.com/ that is working on a
                            > webcast-to-phone application, but I'm not sure even from the site just
                            > what it is.
                            >
                            > Anyone have an idea what they are up to?
                            >
                            > And also Motorola's forthcoming 'iRadio'. Google for it, you'll find a
                            > media ripper product, but also a huge load of references to a press
                            > release in mid-February about that.
                            >
                            > There are issues to be resolved, such as spotty cell tower coverage in
                            > some parts of the rural areas. Look at your wireless providers' maps
                            > that came with your service, or on their websites, to see what I mean.
                            >
                            > The matter of IP to radio device or whatever has been discussed on the
                            > net for years, it's not quite here yet, but the above offers some
                            > possibilities.

                          • James W. Anderson
                            Message 13 of 22 , May 2, 2005
                              wrote:
                              > We discuss a bit of these issues in my Internet Radio Lovers group
                              > here on Yahoo!Groups. I've been waiting for a device like the iRadio
                              > for years, and I have high hopes for it. Still, I'm not certain it
                              > will be able to download or stream podcasts; unless I'm mistaken,
                              > it'll going to have presets or something like that, similar to iTunes'
                              > radio stations.
                              >
                              > Harold J.
                              > audioblogs.info

                              Where's your group? Could not find it in the search feature on Yahoo
                              Groups.
                            • Harold Johnson
                              Message 14 of 22 , May 2, 2005
                                It wouldn't come up, huh? Here's the URL then:

                                Harold

                                On 5/2/05, James W. Anderson <genealogy248@...> wrote:
                                > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Harold Johnson <harold.johnson@g...>
                                > wrote:
                                > > We discuss a bit of these issues in my Internet Radio Lovers group
                                > > here on Yahoo!Groups. I've been waiting for a device like the iRadio
                                > > for years, and I have high hopes for it. Still, I'm not certain it
                                > > will be able to download or stream podcasts; unless I'm mistaken,
                                > > it'll going to have presets or something like that, similar to iTunes'
                                > > radio stations.
                                > >
                                > > Harold J.
                                > > audioblogs.info
                                >
                                > Where's your group? Could not find it in the search feature on Yahoo
                                > Groups.

                              • Dennis A. Amith
                                Message 15 of 22 , May 2, 2005
                                  On 5/2/05 7:05 AM, "Tim Elliott" <twelliott@...> wrote:

                                  > When he and Adam broke up, I assumed it was Dave's blogger principles
                                  > at play, but now that the cat is out of the Podshow bag, it seems
                                  > otherwise. With this mornings' Sirus announcement, it seems that two
                                  > camps are emerging in podcastville: Podshow and everybody else.
                                  >
                                  > BTW, Happy Birthday, Dave!
                                  > --
                                  > Tim

                                  Well, there is one way to make things interesting. Dave, go XM!

                                  Happy birthday Dave!

                                  - daa
                                • bluggster
                                  Message 16 of 22 , May 2, 2005
                                    > Well, there is one way to make things interesting. Dave, go XM!

                                    go! tradesushi.com !!

                                    :)
                                    aieeee!!!

                                    we're about to do our 'bluggcast', where we're going to talk quite a
                                    bit about all this sirius biznizz

                                    http://blugg.com/cast :)