Re: [podcasters] Can someone help me with making an RSS feed?

  • Melinda
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2005
      I really don't understand the whole RSS thing at all and that could be because I am not familiar with blogging software. So basically I made a website for my podcast (www.marilynmonroe.ca/podcast) and I ended up using the dircaster script ( http://www.shadydentist.com/wordpress/software/dircaster )to make the RSS feed. It couldn't be any easier to get working. However, the only problem I have is I don't have show notes attached to my feed so on places like podcastalley there is no description next to my episodes. I am not sure if there is a work-around for that. Otherwise, it works great.

      Melinda
      I started up a podcast at www.greenroomradio.com

      Now how do I turn this into an RSS feed? I understand html, but for the life of me cant
      figure this out.

      Thanx.

    • Evo Terra
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2005
        Melinda wrote:
        > I really don't understand the whole RSS thing at all...

        Gang,

        I just finished reading Syndicating Web Sites with RSS Feeds For
        Dummies. It's a great book that covers all you ever wanted to know. Plus
        it's got several shortcuts newbies might want to take advantage of.

        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0764588486/dragonpage

        Evo Terra

        The Dragon Page
        Sci-Fi/Fantasy talk for a new generation...
        http://dragonpage.com
      • Patrick Cook
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2005
          Hi everyone:

          At 06:32 PM 5/1/2005, you wrote:

          >The easiest way is to "rip off" someone else's. :)
          >
          >Grab the RSS of my feed,
          ><http://www.lowbudgetradio.com/rss.xml,>http://www.lowbudgetradio.com/rss.xml,
          >or someone
          >else's and open it in notepad or another word processor. Delete everything
          >but one entry. Replace my information with yours (address, file length,
          >description, etc.) and upload it.
          >
          >This will get you up and running until you understand all the intricacies
          >(which, I admit, I myself am still working on).

          I have found this to be more problematic than it's worth.

          I know this because I tried using the code from the DSC and altering that,
          but no matter what I did, I kept running into validation issues.

          The suggestion of going the FeedBurner route is THE best. However, in
          order to configure an ATOM feed that can be converted to a
          podcast-compatible RSS 2.0 feed, you need a blog from somewhere. This can
          be either from Blogger, LiveJournal, MovableType or even Tripod. Once you
          have an ATOM feed and a blog page with links to the MP3s which are your
          podcast shows, you can then go to FeedBurner, get an account there, and
          burn that ATOM feed into a podcast-compatible RSS 2.0 feed, which you then
          advertise to the whole world. :)

          But trust me though....Using someone else's feed code and altering it to
          suit your needs is more problematic than it's really worth.

          Just my $.02 worth based on first-hand personal experience. :)

          Hope this helps :)

          Cheers for now :)

          Patrick Cook
          pchamster@...