Can someone help me with making an RSS feed?

  • djerich
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2005
      Hi there,

      I started up a podcast at www.greenroomradio.com

      Now how do I turn this into an RSS feed? I understand html, but for the life of me cant
      figure this out.

      Thanx.
    • Nicole Simon
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2005
        "djerich" <djerich@...> wrote:
        >I started up a podcast at www.greenroomradio.com

        make feed in blogger
        http://casweb.ou.edu/olr/technology/webpub/blogger/syndicate.htm

        don't bother putting up those atom tags.

        go feedburner, signup for a free user
        'burn' your freshly made feed
        choose option smartcast (transforms atom to rss)
        publizise that new feed.

        every media link in your feed will then be made an enclosure link. as you
        do have fotos in your blog, make sure to use the mp3 link as the first ever
        link in the post so some clients don't get confused.

        hth
        Nicole

        --
        http://sushiradio.de - der feine Happen für deine Ohren

        Blogs & Podcasts: http://gnak.de/ - http://ideengeberin.de/
        http://useful-sounds.de/ (english) - http://beissholz.de/
      • Pab Sungenis
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2005
          The easiest way is to "rip off" someone else's. :)

          Grab the RSS of my feed, http://www.lowbudgetradio.com/rss.xml, or someone
          else's and open it in notepad or another word processor. Delete everything
          but one entry. Replace my information with yours (address, file length,
          description, etc.) and upload it.

          This will get you up and running until you understand all the intricacies
          (which, I admit, I myself am still working on).

          > Now how do I turn this into an RSS feed? I understand html, but for the
          > life of me cant
          > figure this out.
          >
          > Thanx.
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Melinda
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1, 2005
            I really don't understand the whole RSS thing at all and that could be because I am not familiar with blogging software. So basically I made a website for my podcast (www.marilynmonroe.ca/podcast) and I ended up using the dircaster script ( http://www.shadydentist.com/wordpress/software/dircaster )to make the RSS feed. It couldn't be any easier to get working. However, the only problem I have is I don't have show notes attached to my feed so on places like podcastalley there is no description next to my episodes. I am not sure if there is a work-around for that. Otherwise, it works great.

            Melinda
            Now how do I turn this into an RSS feed? I understand html, but for the life of me cant
            figure this out.

            Thanx.

          • Evo Terra
            Message 5 of 6 , May 1, 2005
              Melinda wrote:
              > I really don't understand the whole RSS thing at all...

              Gang,

              I just finished reading Syndicating Web Sites with RSS Feeds For
              Dummies. It's a great book that covers all you ever wanted to know. Plus
              it's got several shortcuts newbies might want to take advantage of.

              http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0764588486/dragonpage

              Evo Terra

              The Dragon Page
              Sci-Fi/Fantasy talk for a new generation...
              http://dragonpage.com
            • Patrick Cook
              Message 6 of 6 , May 2, 2005
                Hi everyone:

                At 06:32 PM 5/1/2005, you wrote:

                >The easiest way is to "rip off" someone else's. :)
                >
                >Grab the RSS of my feed,
                ><http://www.lowbudgetradio.com/rss.xml,>http://www.lowbudgetradio.com/rss.xml,
                >or someone
                >else's and open it in notepad or another word processor. Delete everything
                >but one entry. Replace my information with yours (address, file length,
                >description, etc.) and upload it.
                >
                >This will get you up and running until you understand all the intricacies
                >(which, I admit, I myself am still working on).

                I have found this to be more problematic than it's worth.

                I know this because I tried using the code from the DSC and altering that,
                but no matter what I did, I kept running into validation issues.

                The suggestion of going the FeedBurner route is THE best. However, in
                order to configure an ATOM feed that can be converted to a
                podcast-compatible RSS 2.0 feed, you need a blog from somewhere. This can
                be either from Blogger, LiveJournal, MovableType or even Tripod. Once you
                have an ATOM feed and a blog page with links to the MP3s which are your
                podcast shows, you can then go to FeedBurner, get an account there, and
                burn that ATOM feed into a podcast-compatible RSS 2.0 feed, which you then
                advertise to the whole world. :)

                But trust me though....Using someone else's feed code and altering it to
                suit your needs is more problematic than it's really worth.

                Just my $.02 worth based on first-hand personal experience. :)

                Hope this helps :)

                Cheers for now :)

                Patrick Cook
                pchamster@...