Podshow "Strategy Cast"

  • Tim Elliott
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 30, 2005
      Maybe it's too early, but I find it hard to believe that no one here
      has yet to post about the Podshow (so-called) "Strategy Cast". I just
      don't get it; maybe someone could enlighten me what's in it for niche
      podcasters? Or podcasters in general not considered "superstars" by
      Mr. Bloom and Curry. I already grok what's in it for them.

      Note to Dave Winer: you were right, man.
      --
      Tim Elliott
      Winecast
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 30, 2005
        Tim:

        If I understood the rambling and vague details correctly, then if you "join
        the family" then you'll get a slice of revenue from companies who sponsor
        your category, probably based on the size of your listenership.

        I think it's probably too early to gauge whether this will be a Good Plan or
        an Evil Plan or something in-between.

        I do doubt that anything these guys do will prevent anyone who wants to do a
        niche-cast from getting listeners. All this reminds me of the early days of
        Yahoo (circa 1995), when people were concerned that if their sites didn't
        get listed prominently or maybe get a "cool" rating, they were sunk. Of
        course that looks ridiculous now; I'd be willing to bet that this is a
        similar situation. We won't need to have the Curry Blessing to make it in
        the DIY audio world.

        Steve

        PS: Tim, I'm a Winecast subscriber and think you're great; I look forward to
        every show.

        On 4/30/05, Tim Elliott <twelliott@...> wrote:

        > Maybe it's too early, but I find it hard to believe that no one here
        > has yet to post about the Podshow (so-called) "Strategy Cast". I just
        > don't get it; maybe someone could enlighten me what's in it for niche
        > podcasters? Or podcasters in general not considered "superstars" by
        > Mr. Bloom and Curry. I already grok what's in it for them.
        >
        > Note to Dave Winer: you were right, man.
        > --
        > Tim Elliott
        > Winecast

      • al saiz
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 30, 2005
          Why has there have to be anything in it for anybody? Curry and Bloom
          are setting up a commercial enterprise that will serve the purpose of
          whomever chooses to be part of it. They have that right. It will be
          another choice among the many currently available. Niche podcasters
          can continue on as always. I believe that the very essence of what
          podcasting offers is the ability for casters to chose where they fit
          in and what audience they are pursuing. Let's not start poopooing
          anyone who shows the initiative to follow their own vision.

          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Elliott" <twelliott@y...> wrote:
          > Maybe it's too early, but I find it hard to believe that no one here
          > has yet to post about the Podshow (so-called) "Strategy Cast". I just
          > don't get it; maybe someone could enlighten me what's in it for niche
          > podcasters? Or podcasters in general not considered "superstars" by
          > Mr. Bloom and Curry. I already grok what's in it for them.
          >
          > Note to Dave Winer: you were right, man.
          > --
          > Tim Elliott
          > Winecast
        • Geek News
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 30, 2005
            I think I have been sitting here with my mouth wide open for the past 12
            hours trying to comprehend everything. It's going to be interesting to see
            what happens.

            Todd..

            > Maybe it's too early, but I find it hard to believe that no
            > one here has yet to post about the Podshow (so-called)
            > "Strategy Cast". I just don't get it; maybe someone could
            > enlighten me what's in it for niche podcasters? Or
            > podcasters in general not considered "superstars" by Mr.
            > Bloom and Curry. I already grok what's in it for them.
            >
            > Note to Dave Winer: you were right, man.
            > --
          • Harold Johnson
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 30, 2005
              Hi Tim. What exactly was Dave right about? Just curious, that's all.

              Harold J.

              On 4/30/05, Tim Elliott <twelliott@...> wrote:
              > Maybe it's too early, but I find it hard to believe that no one here
              > has yet to post about the Podshow (so-called) "Strategy Cast". I just
              > don't get it; maybe someone could enlighten me what's in it for niche
              > podcasters? Or podcasters in general not considered "superstars" by
              > Mr. Bloom and Curry. I already grok what's in it for them.
              >
              > Note to Dave Winer: you were right, man.
              > --
              > Tim Elliott
              > Winecast
            • Russell S. Holliman
              Message 6 of 22 , May 1, 2005
                A couple of things stick out to me about the "Strategy Cast" - first
                of all, the lineup for the first shows. Although very popular, they
                don't strike me as the "initial offerings" I would make to the vast
                audience that has no idea what podcasting is. And I really don't see
                the major advertisers being interested in associating their brand
                names with a few of these.

                And second, what of podcastalley? It's now officially aligned with
                podshow, and in my opinion, can never again be considered
                'independent.' If their voting system was ever worth anything before
                this, it certainly isn't now...

                And lastly the comments about addressing the tech podcasts at a later
                date... I guess we know now why Todd has not been able to get his
                network listed in the "open" directory.

                Unfortunately, Adam seems to be the 'go-to guy' for the media, and the
                media has and will continue to reference ipodder.org and
                podcastalley.com. So unless someone that can grab as much media
                attention steps up quickly, Adam will define podcasting to the general
                public and he will do it on his terms.

                I don't for a second buy into the notion that this is all
                happenstance. The slogan on podshow's ad on ipodder.org reads "the way
                podcasting was meant to be" and I don't think that is just a marketing
                phrase....

                On 4/30/05, Tim Elliott <twelliott@...> wrote:
                > Maybe it's too early, but I find it hard to believe that no one here
                > has yet to post about the Podshow (so-called) "Strategy Cast". I just
                > don't get it; maybe someone could enlighten me what's in it for niche
                > podcasters? Or podcasters in general not considered "superstars" by
                > Mr. Bloom and Curry. I already grok what's in it for them.
                >
                > Note to Dave Winer: you were right, man.
                > --
                > Tim Elliott
                > Winecast
              • Harold Johnson
                Message 7 of 22 , May 1, 2005
                  Hey fellahs, did my podcast make Podshows' list? Heh. Ha, ha.
                  Whooooohhhahhhahahahahahaha! Oh, lord, I can't stop laughing. Did I
                  make the list? HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAOHBOYOHBOYOHBOYOHBOY!!! Oh, that's
                  too funny.

                  Harold J. Johnson
                  SomethingthatHappened.com

                  On 5/1/05, Russell S. Holliman <treocast@...> wrote:
                  > A couple of things stick out to me about the "Strategy Cast" - first
                  > of all, the lineup for the first shows. Although very popular, they
                  > don't strike me as the "initial offerings" I would make to the vast
                  > audience that has no idea what podcasting is. And I really don't see
                  > the major advertisers being interested in associating their brand
                  > names with a few of these.
                  >
                  > And second, what of podcastalley? It's now officially aligned with
                  > podshow, and in my opinion, can never again be considered
                  > 'independent.' If their voting system was ever worth anything before
                  > this, it certainly isn't now...
                  >
                  > And lastly the comments about addressing the tech podcasts at a later
                  > date... I guess we know now why Todd has not been able to get his
                  > network listed in the "open" directory.
                  >
                  > Unfortunately, Adam seems to be the 'go-to guy' for the media, and the
                  > media has and will continue to reference ipodder.org and
                  > podcastalley.com. So unless someone that can grab as much media
                  > attention steps up quickly, Adam will define podcasting to the general
                  > public and he will do it on his terms.
                  >
                  > I don't for a second buy into the notion that this is all
                  > happenstance. The slogan on podshow's ad on ipodder.org reads "the way
                  > podcasting was meant to be" and I don't think that is just a marketing
                  > phrase....
                  >

                  > On 4/30/05, Tim Elliott <twelliott@...> wrote:
                  > > Maybe it's too early, but I find it hard to believe that no one here
                  > > has yet to post about the Podshow (so-called) "Strategy Cast". I just
                  > > don't get it; maybe someone could enlighten me what's in it for niche
                  > > podcasters? Or podcasters in general not considered "superstars" by
                  > > Mr. Bloom and Curry. I already grok what's in it for them.
                  > >
                  > > Note to Dave Winer: you were right, man.
                  > > --
                  > > Tim Elliott
                  > > Winecast

                • Garrick VanBuren
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 1, 2005
                    Maybe it's that I'm coming at this from a blogger's perspective (you
                    make money because of blogging not with blogging) not a radio
                    producers perspective (the money's in advertising). I don't see the
                    benefit to advertisers doing anything more than underwriting podcasts
                    - a la ITConversations.com and NPR. With niche stuff - the strength of
                    podcasting - the customers foot the bill. I'm thinking of a model like
                    Jupiter Research's - where subscribers fund the ongoing concern.

                    As Tim mentioned at the Minneapolis Podcaster's Meetup tonight,
                    "there's a difference between a podcast that sells and a podcast for
                    sale".

                    Personally, I'd rather have my show in the former category. I see
                    Podshows in the latter.

                    On 5/1/05, Harold Johnson <harold.johnson@...> wrote:
                    > Hey fellahs, did my podcast make Podshows' list? Heh. Ha, ha.
                    > Whooooohhhahhhahahahahahaha! Oh, lord, I can't stop laughing. Did I
                    > make the list? HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAOHBOYOHBOYOHBOYOHBOY!!! Oh, that's
                    > too funny.
                    >
                    > Harold J. Johnson
                    > SomethingthatHappened.com
                    >
                    > On 5/1/05, Russell S. Holliman <treocast@...> wrote:
                    > > A couple of things stick out to me about the "Strategy Cast" - first
                    > > of all, the lineup for the first shows. Although very popular, they
                    > > don't strike me as the "initial offerings" I would make to the vast
                    > > audience that has no idea what podcasting is. And I really don't see
                    > > the major advertisers being interested in associating their brand
                    > > names with a few of these.
                    > >
                    > > And second, what of podcastalley? It's now officially aligned with
                    > > podshow, and in my opinion, can never again be considered
                    > > 'independent.' If their voting system was ever worth anything before
                    > > this, it certainly isn't now...
                    > >
                    > > And lastly the comments about addressing the tech podcasts at a later
                    > > date... I guess we know now why Todd has not been able to get his
                    > > network listed in the "open" directory.
                    > >
                    > > Unfortunately, Adam seems to be the 'go-to guy' for the media, and the
                    > > media has and will continue to reference ipodder.org and
                    > > podcastalley.com. So unless someone that can grab as much media
                    > > attention steps up quickly, Adam will define podcasting to the general
                    > > public and he will do it on his terms.
                    > >
                    > > I don't for a second buy into the notion that this is all
                    > > happenstance. The slogan on podshow's ad on ipodder.org reads "the way
                    > > podcasting was meant to be" and I don't think that is just a marketing
                    > > phrase....
                    > >

                    > > On 4/30/05, Tim Elliott <twelliott@...> wrote:
                    > > > Maybe it's too early, but I find it hard to believe that no one here
                    > > > has yet to post about the Podshow (so-called) "Strategy Cast". I just
                    > > > don't get it; maybe someone could enlighten me what's in it for niche
                    > > > podcasters? Or podcasters in general not considered "superstars" by
                    > > > Mr. Bloom and Curry. I already grok what's in it for them.
                    > > >
                    > > > Note to Dave Winer: you were right, man.
                    > > > --
                    > > > Tim Elliott
                    > > > Winecast

                    Garrick Van Buren
                    garrick.vanburen@...
                    ph: 612 325 9110
                    First Crack Podcast
                    http://garrickvanburen.com/firstcrack/

                    WishRSS - the Feed of Dreams
                    http://garrickvanburen.com/wishrss/

                    gFeed - all my writing in one place
                    http://garrickvanburen.com/gfeed/
                  • Tim Elliott
                    Message 9 of 22 , May 2, 2005
                      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Harold Johnson
                      <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:
                      > Hi Tim. What exactly was Dave right about? Just curious, that's all.

                      Here are his words from scripting.com Saturday:

                      "I listened to the whole Ron Bloom-Adam Curry strategy-cast thing
                      yesterday. I'm sure I'll have more thoughts, but the primary one was,
                      who is Ron Bloom, and why should he be the arbiter of what's cool in
                      podcasting? Basically, I don't take professional gigs because of
                      people like Ron Bloom, people who don't practice the art, who only
                      think about how to make money off it. I don't object to making money,
                      hardly, but I do object to only being concerned about making money.
                      It's the same way I feel about venture capitalists who set up shop in
                      RSS-land thinking it's just like SMTP. Huh. No it's not, and the fact
                      that you think so says that all you're going to contribute are
                      business models that you're going to eventually go to Congress to get
                      laws passed to protect. Ron Bloom is a media exec. Sure, they're
                      coming. Ron says so. Run the other way, says Dave. That's what I did."

                      When he and Adam broke up, I assumed it was Dave's blogger principles
                      at play, but now that the cat is out of the Podshow bag, it seems
                      otherwise. With this mornings' Sirus announcement, it seems that two
                      camps are emerging in podcastville: Podshow and everybody else.

                      BTW, Happy Birthday, Dave!
                      --
                      Tim
                      Message 10 of 22 , May 2, 2005
                        On 5/2/05, Garrick VanBuren <garrick.vanburen@...> wrote:
                        > Maybe it's that I'm coming at this from a blogger's perspective (you
                        > make money because of blogging not with blogging) not a radio
                        > producers perspective (the money's in advertising).

                        I think this is a very insightful point. In fact, you've probably hit
                        the nail right on the head about where the ideological division is.
                        There are people who believe that podcasting is the new radio, and
                        people who believe that podcasting is the new blogging. (If I were
                        being flippant I'd call these the Curry School and the Winer School.)

                        If you believe that podcasting is the new radio, then it makes sense
                        to expect that there's money waiting to flow into it. It flowed into
                        radio, and was essential to radio's growth because the resources
                        required to deliver high-quality radio content cost money. It's a
                        synergistic relationship.

                        If you believe that podcasting is the new blogging, then there's no
                        flow. There's practically no money in blogging, and blogging doesn't
                        need it. You can meet almost any bandwidth need with a $10/month
                        hosting provider, or use Blogspot if you don't mind giving up a little
                        refinement. The only production equipment is a keyboard and monitor.
                        Sure, the top five or so bloggers (Daily Kos, Instapundit, etc.) can
                        make a few thousand a month via Blogads, but even the rest of the
                        successful bloggers are getting lunch money at best. Making money
                        from a blog tends to mean getting a book deal.

                        Podcasting is certainly a hybrid, but I think it leans more toward the
                        blogging side. Yes, it eats a lot more bandwidth than blogging, but
                        there are lots of ways to get the bandwidth cheap or free. One *can*
                        throw a lot of money into producing a podcast, but the most popular
                        ones are being done with cheap equipment and free software. You're
                        starting to see some sponsorships, but again, only in the top few
                        podcasts. And hey, look! It looks like some people are starting to
                        get book deals. >8->

                        > Personally, I'd rather have my show in the former category. I see
                        > Podshows in the latter.

                        I only listened to part of that strategy cast (I have a very hard time
                        listening to Adam Curry talk) so I'm not sure yet what they're
                        planning. I heard one very good point: "We've *got* to make things
                        easier for listeners" -- and one very questionable point: "The
                        marketers are coming whether we want them to or not." The marketers
                        took over radio because you need money to put up a radio station that
                        can be heard farther than two blocks. But if podcasting is more like
                        blogging? Commercial attempts at blogging have been laughable and
                        irrelevant.

                        Making things easier for listeners is important, but I don't see
                        Podshow getting a lock on that. Anything they do could be done by
                        anyone else. There *is* a role to be played in hooking top-tier
                        podcasts up with sponsors, and if Podshow wants to be the new Blogads
                        I say more power to them. That's an achievable goal, and I don't see
                        anyone else trying to do it.

                        But they ought to stop there. Blogads doesn't try to influence blog
                        content; it doesn't aim to "become" blogging or represent the
                        blogosphere. It simply sells ads and takes a small (20%) share of the
                        revenue. It does its job well, is well-respected by the community,
                        and I'm pretty sure it makes good money.

                        Podshow could be that. It would be very easy to excel in that niche.
                        But if they try to shape podcasting or represent podcasting to the
                        world, they'll squander the goodwill of the community they depend on.
                        And then they've got nothing. Curry is absolutely right that Podshow
                        needs the best podcasts. But he's mistaken if he thinks that the best
                        podcasts will ever *need* Podshow. He needs to back down from his
                        grandstanding and approach the community he helped create with a bit
                        more humility. Then he'll succeed.

                        - Steve Eley
                        sfeley@...
                      • PBCliberal
                        Message 11 of 22 , May 2, 2005
                          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Elliott" <twelliott@y...> wrote:

                          > When he and Adam broke up, I assumed it was Dave's blogger principles
                          > at play, but now that the cat is out of the Podshow bag, it seems
                          > otherwise. With this mornings' Sirus announcement, it seems that two
                          > camps are emerging in podcastville: Podshow and everybody else.

                          Me too. I now suspect that the reason the Winer/Curry meeting was in
                          Miami/South Beach was because the unseen hand was Ron Bloom's. Did
                          anyone else who sat through the nearly-two-hour epic opera have any
                          trouble being told how content is king by people who not only couldn't
                          get to the point but didn't see how "off" or "airline mode" on a cell
                          phone is not only respectful to the audience but a great aid to
                          staying on-topic?

                          Remember that the upshot of that January Florida [?] meeting was the
                          teapot tempest over Madge Weinstein not being a real lesbian? Maybe
                          that was allegorical (and disclosable) for a debate raging over
                          business styles and business models that was the real meat of the
                          meeting, and the Weinstein flap was just the dessert.

                          I zinged Dave for being anti-imagination. I guess I didn't have the
                          whole picture.
                        • Garrick VanBuren
                          Message 12 of 22 , May 2, 2005
                            I agree. I'm trying to get through the 2hrs right now - as much as I'm
                            against editing as fine-tuning, I'm all for cutting out huge swaths of
                            off-topic.

                            An hour and 15 minutes into it, the 'marketing is imminent and
                            inevidable' attitude seems to have completely missed weblogging. Where
                            marketers weren't needed to bring make it a word on everyone's tongue,
                            where SixApart didn't succeed by creating a channel for advertisers.

                            These things worked because publishing was easy and the content
                            compelling. Not because it walked in the footstuff of the dying
                            newspaper industry.

                            Message 13 of 22 , May 2, 2005
                              Podcasting is the new *podcasting*. Nothing like this has presented
                              itself in this particular way before. It's a two-way media in a
                              variety of ways, interactive to some extent and surely more so in the
                              near future as tools develop to facilitate the process of producing
                              podcasts.

                              We tend to compare it to what we know, radio and blogging. Yet it's
                              really both of these and then neither. It's what it is, and we're
                              still figuring that out. Some will try to take it to traditional
                              media formats, such as radio, and that's fine. Meanwhile podcasting
                              will change, and mutate and branch out in various ways, and perhaps
                              some of these branches won't make sense for broadcast of satellite
                              radio.

                              It's fun to hear ourselves on terrestrial (traditional) radio,
                              especially if we grew up in an analog era, and I wouldn't mind my
                              mousy voice being transmitted via radiowaves. Yet I'm more excited
                              about the possibilities that are yet to come; I can't wait for *the
                              iPod of Internet radio* to arrive, whenever that may be - a portable
                              device that can recieve podcasts or other digital audio from
                              *anywhere*, and *without hassle*.

                              Who will create this device? Will Apple's lightning strike again, or
                              will it be a smaller, Palm-like company? Will it be a group of
                              podcasting engineers, pooling their resources together to "change the
                              world"? Stay tuned.

                              Harold J. Johnson
                              http://audioblogs.info

                              Message 14 of 22 , May 2, 2005
                                On 5/2/05, Harold Johnson <harold.johnson@...> wrote:

                                > It's fun to hear ourselves on terrestrial (traditional) radio,
                                > especially if we grew up in an analog era, and I wouldn't mind my
                                > mousy voice being transmitted via radiowaves. Yet I'm more excited
                                > about the possibilities that are yet to come; I can't wait for *the
                                > iPod of Internet radio* to arrive, whenever that may be - a portable
                                > device that can recieve podcasts or other digital audio from
                                > *anywhere*, and *without hassle*.

                                Following that tangent: From a practical perspective, there's no
                                reason why a Treo or any other smartphone couldn't do this. There's
                                already a third-party MP3 player than can stream Shoutcast-style
                                Internet radio to the Treo; it shouldn't be that hard to extend it to
                                catch RSS feeds as well.

                                In fact I'm a bit surprised it hasn't been done yet. (I've thought
                                very briefly about writing it myself, but I've never tried programming
                                for the Palm, and anyway I've got too many projects already.)

                                So if anyone's looking for a fun bit of programming: there's your
                                shot. Write a good Treo podcatcher, and I'll buy one. Until then
                                I'll keep listening on my iPod, and save the Treo for Web surfing and
                                phone calls.

                                - Steve Eley
                                sfeley@...
                              • Russell S. Holliman
                                Message 15 of 22 , May 2, 2005
                                  I have tested two programs on my Treo for receiving podcasts. They
                                  worked, but not as "automatically" as a desktop client. And until
                                  EV-DO is prevalent in my market, its really not practical. But it is
                                  there...

                                  And the 'third party' software you mentioned does more than just
                                  stream shoutcast-type links... it will stream an MP3 link, such as a
                                  podcast. I've played with it and it works well, provided the source
                                  file is encoded at a low enough bit rate to stream well over the slow
                                  networks... once again, the only thing holding back the Treo is the
                                  connection.

                                  > On 5/2/05, Harold Johnson <harold.johnson@...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > It's fun to hear ourselves on terrestrial (traditional) radio,
                                  > > especially if we grew up in an analog era, and I wouldn't mind my
                                  > > mousy voice being transmitted via radiowaves. Yet I'm more excited
                                  > > about the possibilities that are yet to come; I can't wait for *the
                                  > > iPod of Internet radio* to arrive, whenever that may be - a portable
                                  > > device that can recieve podcasts or other digital audio from
                                  > > *anywhere*, and *without hassle*.
                                  >
                                  > Following that tangent: From a practical perspective, there's no
                                  > reason why a Treo or any other smartphone couldn't do this. There's
                                  > already a third-party MP3 player than can stream Shoutcast-style
                                  > Internet radio to the Treo; it shouldn't be that hard to extend it to
                                  > catch RSS feeds as well.
                                  >
                                  > In fact I'm a bit surprised it hasn't been done yet. (I've thought
                                  > very briefly about writing it myself, but I've never tried programming
                                  > for the Palm, and anyway I've got too many projects already.)
                                  >
                                  > So if anyone's looking for a fun bit of programming: there's your
                                  > shot. Write a good Treo podcatcher, and I'll buy one. Until then
                                  > I'll keep listening on my iPod, and save the Treo for Web surfing and
                                  > phone calls.
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  > Have Fun,
                                  > - Steve Eley
                                  > sfeley@...

                                • Matt May
                                  Message 16 of 22 , May 2, 2005
                                    > Following that tangent: From a practical perspective, there's no
                                    > reason why a Treo or any other smartphone couldn't do this. There's
                                    > already a third-party MP3 player than can stream Shoutcast-style
                                    > Internet radio to the Treo; it shouldn't be that hard to extend it to
                                    > catch RSS feeds as well.

                                    This won't help Treo users, but my Pocket PC can podcatch using Egress:

                                    http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=12324

                                    I can set it to download new podcasts over 802.11b directly to my
                                    Compact Flash card. Which I may end up doing later this month while
                                    I'm on vacation, so I can leave the laptop behind.

                                    But I agree with the others that the bandwidth just isn't there yet.
                                    3G is only rolled out in a few cities, and is still really expensive
                                    ($80/mo). Once that comes down to a nice $20 price point, anybody will
                                    be able to do this, or even narrowcast their own radio station from
                                    home. All of the components, except the ubiquitous broadband, are
                                    there. There are even companies like Avvenu and Orb Networks, that are
                                    already working on enabling technologies.

                                    -
                                  • James W. Anderson
                                    Message 17 of 22 , May 2, 2005
                                      There's a site called http://www.penguinradio.com/ that is working on a
                                      webcast-to-phone application, but I'm not sure even from the site just
                                      what it is.

                                      Anyone have an idea what they are up to?

                                      And also Motorola's forthcoming 'iRadio'. Google for it, you'll find a
                                      media ripper product, but also a huge load of references to a press
                                      release in mid-February about that.

                                      There are issues to be resolved, such as spotty cell tower coverage in
                                      some parts of the rural areas. Look at your wireless providers' maps
                                      that came with your service, or on their websites, to see what I mean.

                                      The matter of IP to radio device or whatever has been discussed on the
                                      net for years, it's not quite here yet, but the above offers some
                                      possibilities.
                                    • Harold Johnson
                                      Message 18 of 22 , May 2, 2005
                                        We discuss a bit of these issues in my Internet Radio Lovers group
                                        here on Yahoo!Groups. I've been waiting for a device like the iRadio
                                        for years, and I have high hopes for it. Still, I'm not certain it
                                        will be able to download or stream podcasts; unless I'm mistaken,
                                        it'll going to have presets or something like that, similar to iTunes'
                                        radio stations.

                                        Harold J.
                                        audioblogs.info

                                        On 5/2/05, James W. Anderson <genealogy248@...> wrote:
                                        > There's a site called http://www.penguinradio.com/ that is working on a
                                        > webcast-to-phone application, but I'm not sure even from the site just
                                        > what it is.
                                        >
                                        > Anyone have an idea what they are up to?
                                        >
                                        > And also Motorola's forthcoming 'iRadio'. Google for it, you'll find a
                                        > media ripper product, but also a huge load of references to a press
                                        > release in mid-February about that.
                                        >
                                        > There are issues to be resolved, such as spotty cell tower coverage in
                                        > some parts of the rural areas. Look at your wireless providers' maps
                                        > that came with your service, or on their websites, to see what I mean.
                                        >
                                        > The matter of IP to radio device or whatever has been discussed on the
                                        > net for years, it's not quite here yet, but the above offers some
                                        > possibilities.

                                      • James W. Anderson
                                        Message 19 of 22 , May 2, 2005
                                          wrote:
                                          > We discuss a bit of these issues in my Internet Radio Lovers group
                                          > here on Yahoo!Groups. I've been waiting for a device like the iRadio
                                          > for years, and I have high hopes for it. Still, I'm not certain it
                                          > will be able to download or stream podcasts; unless I'm mistaken,
                                          > it'll going to have presets or something like that, similar to iTunes'
                                          > radio stations.
                                          >
                                          > Harold J.
                                          > audioblogs.info

                                          Where's your group? Could not find it in the search feature on Yahoo
                                          Groups.
                                        • Harold Johnson
                                          Message 20 of 22 , May 2, 2005
                                            It wouldn't come up, huh? Here's the URL then:

                                            Harold

                                            On 5/2/05, James W. Anderson <genealogy248@...> wrote:
                                            > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Harold Johnson <harold.johnson@g...>
                                            > wrote:
                                            > > We discuss a bit of these issues in my Internet Radio Lovers group
                                            > > here on Yahoo!Groups. I've been waiting for a device like the iRadio
                                            > > for years, and I have high hopes for it. Still, I'm not certain it
                                            > > will be able to download or stream podcasts; unless I'm mistaken,
                                            > > it'll going to have presets or something like that, similar to iTunes'
                                            > > radio stations.
                                            > >
                                            > > Harold J.
                                            > > audioblogs.info
                                            >
                                            > Where's your group? Could not find it in the search feature on Yahoo
                                            > Groups.

                                          • Dennis A. Amith
                                            Message 21 of 22 , May 2, 2005
                                              On 5/2/05 7:05 AM, "Tim Elliott" <twelliott@...> wrote:

                                              > When he and Adam broke up, I assumed it was Dave's blogger principles
                                              > at play, but now that the cat is out of the Podshow bag, it seems
                                              > otherwise. With this mornings' Sirus announcement, it seems that two
                                              > camps are emerging in podcastville: Podshow and everybody else.
                                              >
                                              > BTW, Happy Birthday, Dave!
                                              > --
                                              > Tim

                                              Well, there is one way to make things interesting. Dave, go XM!

                                              Happy birthday Dave!

                                              - daa
                                            • bluggster
                                              Message 22 of 22 , May 2, 2005
                                                > Well, there is one way to make things interesting. Dave, go XM!

                                                go! tradesushi.com !!

                                                :)
                                                aieeee!!!

                                                we're about to do our 'bluggcast', where we're going to talk quite a
                                                bit about all this sirius biznizz

                                                http://blugg.com/cast :)