Re: Recording from Microphone AND Wave in Windows XP

  • billzegarski
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 10, 2004
      On this note, does anyone know if there is something like a USB mixer
      board that can be added to a PC or Mac? I want to do a cross fade,
      but I can only click on one fader at a time. a manual board would be
      GREAT!

      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, andrew clarke <mail@o...> wrote:
      > On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 05:20:14PM -0000, namlig1 wrote:
      >
      > > I've found a (rather primitive) way to route the sound of both the
      > > wave channel and the microphone channel to any recording program (I'm
      > > using Cool Edit). It seemed too simple before so I didn't bother
      > > trying it.
      > >
      > > In the sound properties in Windows select, as your recording channel,
      > > "stereo mix" then go to town in the audio editing program of your
      choice.

      > Mark VandeWettering of Brainwagon demonstrates this in a 10 Mb Windows
      > Media video file, linked from
      > http://brainwagon.org/archives/2004/10/06/610/. Instead of CoolEdit Pro
      > he's using Audacity.
      >
      > For some PC sound card the recording input is named "What U Hear" or
      > "Sum" instead of "Stereo Mix".
      >
      > Total Recorder is unnecessary for most people.
      >
      > > I can't promise it'll be the best sound quality ever, but it's a
      start.

      > The recorded audio of the mix should be near to CD quality on any modern
      > sound card provided you record at 44.1 KHz at 16-bit.
      >
      > Regards
      > Andrew
    • Wendy
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 11, 2004
        I know people who do audio documentaries rave about something called
        an MBox.

        http://www.digidesign.com/products/mbox/

        It might be exactly what you are looking for.

        Be well,

        Wendy
      • dentonclayton
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 11, 2004
          I own an mbox and have used it to record my music. It's a USB
          interface that runs protools LE recording software. It has quarter-
          inch jack inputs for your microphones, instruments, etc., and feeds
          the audio into your pc/protools via usb. You can find them used on
          ebay for about $350. I just heard about podcasting and am going to
          see if I can use my mbox to create my 'cast. Fingers crossed, i'm
          not that savvy...yet!